Welcome to our new upgraded phpbb 3.2 forum! The upgrade is now complete. See announcement and new features here, or report any problems or issues here. Thanks for your patience.



Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Monday nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE AFA Seminar! See locations and dates here.



View Active Topics       View Your Posts       Latest 100 Topics       FAQ Topics


Calling all computer nerds - extract PDF pages

Discuss and talk about any general topic.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Post Reply
rudder
Freshman Poster
Posts: 378
Joined: June 6th, 2013, 7:38 pm

Calling all computer nerds - extract PDF pages

Post by rudder » September 4th, 2013, 5:36 pm

What recommendations do you have for a free, windows compatible program that can easily extract a selection of pages from a pdf document?

I want to pull individual pages from an ESL ebook and be able to send them to students for homework assignments. I have a typesetting program, Lyx, that can handle this sort of thing, but it takes way too long.

RedMenace
Freshman Poster
Posts: 219
Joined: June 18th, 2013, 1:39 am
Location: United Kingdom

Post by RedMenace » September 4th, 2013, 5:43 pm

instead of extracting them why not screenshot the pages and put them in a word document to make a new pdf.

User avatar
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2272
Joined: April 19th, 2013, 1:26 am
Location: The fuckin' U.S. of Gay *ugh*

Re: Calling all computer nerds - extract PDF pages

Post by E Irizarry R&B Singer » September 4th, 2013, 6:22 pm

rudder wrote:What recommendations do you have for a free, windows compatible program that can easily extract a selection of pages from a pdf document?

I want to pull individual pages from an ESL ebook and be able to send them to students for homework assignments. I have a typesetting program, Lyx, that can handle this sort of thing, but it takes way too long.


BAAM! +1 .http://www.splitpdf.com/
It's time to expatriate to evade your fate; it's time to expatriate before the barn door permanently closes on "US" sheep.
Debut mixtape "The Skilled Neophyte of RNB (x64)" dropping Spring 2016 - Follow me on Twitter @eirizarryRNB

PeterAndrewNolan
Experienced Poster
Posts: 1729
Joined: April 21st, 2012, 11:25 am

Re: Calling all computer nerds - extract PDF pages

Post by PeterAndrewNolan » September 6th, 2013, 12:36 am

I use PDFILL PDF Tools. It is not free...about USD20 I think...but it is very good. It lets me black over sections that I do not want people to see for when I have been publishing court documents on the web etc. It does splitting and joining of PDFS as well.

It has other functions but those are the two I use most....a very good tool.
Feel free to check out my blog:Click ME!

Renata
Experienced Poster
Posts: 1106
Joined: May 7th, 2012, 12:14 am
Location: Ireland

Post by Renata » September 6th, 2013, 12:52 am

Able2extract > it's free, really easy, clean, user friendly & converts to any ms office app
http://www.investintech.com/prod_downloadsa2e.htm
- It's easy to give, when you know what it's like to have nothing. -

- Develop a backbone, not a wishbone. -

rudder
Freshman Poster
Posts: 378
Joined: June 6th, 2013, 7:38 pm

Re: Calling all computer nerds - extract PDF pages

Post by rudder » October 17th, 2013, 10:17 pm

E Irizarry R&B Singer wrote:
rudder wrote:What recommendations do you have for a free, windows compatible program that can easily extract a selection of pages from a pdf document?

I want to pull individual pages from an ESL ebook and be able to send them to students for homework assignments. I have a typesetting program, Lyx, that can handle this sort of thing, but it takes way too long.


BAAM! +1 .http://www.splitpdf.com/


+1 Indeed! Website works like a charm.

Nana111
Freshman Poster
Posts: 3
Joined: December 25th, 2013, 3:44 am

Post by Nana111 » December 25th, 2013, 3:58 am

Hi there
I have googled a code for PDF page extracting:
/// <summary>
/// two pdf documents are available, and we want combine some pages of document 1 and some pages of document 2 to form a new pdf document
/// </summary>
/// <returns></returns>
public void ExtractPagesToFormNewDocument(String filePath1, String filePath2, List<int> pageList1, List<int> pageList2, String destnPath)
{
// two temporary strings to store the extracted documents file paths
String tmpFilePath1 = @"c:\tmpFile1";
String tmpFilePath2 = @"c:\tmpFile2";
PDF Extract Pages FromDocument(filePath1, pageList1, tmpFilePath1);
PDFDocument.ExtractPagesFromDocument(filePath2, pageList2, tmpFilePath2);
List<String> docPathList = new List<string>();
docPathList.Add(tmpFilePath1);
docPathList.Add(tmpFilePath2);
PDFDocument.Combine(docPathList, destnPath);
But it can not work effectively.What's wrong with my code?
Thanks for any suggestions.

User avatar
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2272
Joined: April 19th, 2013, 1:26 am
Location: The fuckin' U.S. of Gay *ugh*

Post by E Irizarry R&B Singer » December 25th, 2013, 6:24 am

Nana111 wrote:Hi there
I have googled a code for PDF page extracting:
/// <summary>
/// two pdf documents are available, and we want combine some pages of document 1 and some pages of document 2 to form a new pdf document
/// </summary>
/// <returns></returns>
public void ExtractPagesToFormNewDocument(String filePath1, String filePath2, List<int> pageList1, List<int> pageList2, String destnPath)
{
// two temporary strings to store the extracted documents file paths
String tmpFilePath1 = @"c:\tmpFile1";
String tmpFilePath2 = @"c:\tmpFile2";
PDF Extract Pages FromDocument(filePath1, pageList1, tmpFilePath1);
PDFDocument.ExtractPagesFromDocument(filePath2, pageList2, tmpFilePath2);
List<String> docPathList = new List<string>();
docPathList.Add(tmpFilePath1);
docPathList.Add(tmpFilePath2);
PDFDocument.Combine(docPathList, destnPath);
But it can not work effectively.What's wrong with my code?
Thanks for any suggestions.


1. Have you created an instance of PDFDocument in memory stack? At which scope has it been declared?
2. This looks like C# code - am I correct?
3. Is PDFDocument an instance of a 3rd party managed code (.NET) assembly?
4. Have you called the "ExtractPagesToFormNewDocument" function from another file? Your code is very incomplete thus far.
5. That "[url...." doesn't look right. Where's the subroutine code for "FromDocument"??
It's time to expatriate to evade your fate; it's time to expatriate before the barn door permanently closes on "US" sheep.
Debut mixtape "The Skilled Neophyte of RNB (x64)" dropping Spring 2016 - Follow me on Twitter @eirizarryRNB

Nana111
Freshman Poster
Posts: 3
Joined: December 25th, 2013, 3:44 am

Post by Nana111 » December 26th, 2013, 7:29 am

HI there
Sorry,but I am not so good at computer.Can you just offer me a code for that?
Thanks for any suggestions.

Post Reply

Return to “General Discussions”