Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.

Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

Old Math-New Math?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Old Math-New Math?

Postby zacb » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:10 am

Does anyone know the difference? And would old math make learning Algebra any easier if I suck at it? If so, any recommendation on books?
The Daily Agorist, Learn to Live Independent of the System! http://www.theagoristreview.blogspot.com
zacb
Experienced Poster

Re: Old Math-New Math?

Postby Teal Lantern » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:09 am

zacb wrote:Does anyone know the difference? And would old math make learning Algebra any easier if I suck at it? If so, any recommendation on books?

Under "new math" 3 * 4 = 11, if you can explain how you got 11. :roll:

As we've said, before -- Get old math books.
Anything copyright 19xx is good enough, plus you can get several different ones for very cheap.
не поглеждай назад. 8)

"Even an American judge is unlikely to award child support for imputed children." - FredOnEverything
Teal Lantern
Veteran Poster

Postby zacb » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:43 am

Ok. So anything prior to the 60's would be fine?
The Daily Agorist, Learn to Live Independent of the System! http://www.theagoristreview.blogspot.com
zacb
Experienced Poster

Postby zacb » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:52 am

And would using these methods in class be ok? Or would they get pissy?
zacb
Experienced Poster

Postby Teal Lantern » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:23 am

1960 will be fine. Or 1950, or 1970. 8)
I'd use the old book to study at home.
The exercises will be different and it might get old hauling an extra book around, but if you have room for two books on your desk, it could work.

using these methods in class be ok?

Do they call on you in class?
In my math classes, some wanted you to show your work, but most just cared if the answer was correct
не поглеждай назад. 8)

"Even an American judge is unlikely to award child support for imputed children." - FredOnEverything
Teal Lantern
Veteran Poster

Return to General Discussions