Losing hope in mankind and humanity

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
Banano
Veteran Poster

Losing hope in mankind and humanity

Post by Banano »

http://www.news.com.au/technology/bizte ... 6723427827

Why huge line-ups for the iPhone 5S are a sign of the apocalypse

WHO are these morons?

Seriously, who the hell are these dopes lined up halfway to hell waiting to buy some piece of iCrap which does exactly the same stuff as their old piece of iTrash, only in a newer and vaguely shinier way?

What the hell has happened to humanity? It's a beautiful spring day outside. People could go to the beach before work or, y'know, just go for a nice healthy walk or something.

But nooooo. It's like, let's all stand around like sheep and buy some absolutely useless piece of iDrivel for five hundred bucks because there's absolutely no better thing in the world to spend your hard-earned cash on.

Oh, but it's a got a new wackadoo doo-dat blip-blap thingy, so it must be awesome. Gimme a break. Actually give me about 206 breaks. That's every bone in the body. Maybe then I won't be able to feel the pain of a world where people's only concern is accumulating more and more useless bloody iShite.

Let me share a little story with you. Back in 2006 when working for a sporting magazine, I attended a thing in New York City where Apple and Nike launched some whizzbang shoe/running data techno-whatsie system.

It was all very exciting. The Nike guy said he didn't really understand the technology behind the new system whereby runners could monitor their every step on their computer after their run. But hey, he sure knew a guy who did.

In walked Steve Jobs in his trademark jeans and skivvy. He was tall. He said some stuff. He was an impressive enough guy, I guess. I had never heard of him until that day. But hey, he knew how to work a room.

There's this whole mythology around Steve Jobs that pretty much says he changed the world. Steve Jobs didn't change the world. He blended good design and made a bunch of great products - as well as a bunch of so-so creations like the shoe-techno blah blah thingy he launched that day.

What Steve Jobs did change is the WAY we consume things. He made stuff easier to consume. To be fair, he probably saved innumerable trees and loads of gooey chemical crap that makes CDs and stuff. Heck, he's probably done more for the environment than Steve Irwin.

Then again, maybe not. Because Steve Jobs, wittingly or unwittingly, made rampant consumerism fashionable again. There's a buzz around this new iThing not because it does something new and radical and fabulously wonderful but because it's there. Simple as that.

Believe it or not, this piece isn't about being hoity-toity and holier-than-thou. I am not better than you. I am wearing Diesel shoes and Mavi jeans today. I am the same level of product slave that you are.

Almost.

The one bunch of doofuses (doofii?) I do feel superior to today is the throng who queued up to get their iFix this morning. These people call themselves Apple fans but they're actually suckers, plain and simple. They think if they get something first they'll be better and awesomer and hipper and connecteder and whateverer.

Like I say, they should go for a walk. Either that or buy a book. An actual book made of paper that they can hold in their hands. They should savour that book, revel in its sheer tactile bookiness, enjoy the object for its appearance as much for what lies within.

Steve Jobs himself would have approved of that.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/technology/bizte ... z2fQWBOJ1R
Banano
Veteran Poster

Post by Banano »

Last edited by Banano on September 20th, 2013, 3:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on May 16th, 2020, 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Ghost wrote:It gets much easier to live once you get past the point of giving up on the human race. Just accept that the sheep will never wake up and that there is no such thing as humanity being better than it is now. Then you free yourself from a great burden.
God grant me
the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the Courage to change the things I can,
and the Wisdom to know the difference.
kai1275
Experienced Poster

Post by kai1275 »

Jester wrote:
Ghost wrote:It gets much easier to live once you get past the point of giving up on the human race. Just accept that the sheep will never wake up and that there is no such thing as humanity being better than it is now. Then you free yourself from a great burden.
God grant me
the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the Courage to change the things I can,
and the Wisdom to know the difference.
Serious wisdom there. Well said.
Teal Lantern
Veteran Poster

mankind shmankind

Post by Teal Lantern »

I just want to think of something with high profit margin & mass doofii appeal. 8)
не поглеждай назад. 8)

"Even an American judge is unlikely to award child support for imputed children." - FredOnEverything
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: mankind shmankind

Post by Jester »

Teal Lantern wrote:I just want to think of something with high profit margin & mass doofii appeal. 8)
:lol:

+1

I salute you

I can't bring myself to DO it :( :x but I salute you
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on May 16th, 2020, 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rayn
Freshman Poster

Post by Rayn »

The moment I hear a girl talking about anything involving buying an Apple product is the moment I'll mark her off from my list.

I need not really hear the rest of her story no matter the real reason behind her buying one. For sure 99.9999999% she is only buying one because she just brought another a year ago, like a wasteful media-braiwashed sheeple she is.