Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.

Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

Obamacare and what to do about health insurance when abroad?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Obamacare and what to do about health insurance when abroad?

Postby rudder » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:58 am

Does anyone know the 411 on this? If I get injured in South America, can I get free emergency room visits and things like that? If not, what's the best option for health insurance while living down there?
rudder
Freshman Poster

Postby djfourmoney » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:05 am

I believe it works like any other national health service. "Obamacare" (Affordable Care Act) works one of two ways.

1) You buy insurance via exchanges. If you make above than I believe 140% above the poverty line (I think it $16K a year) then you qualify for subsidies I think up to about 70% of the cost of buying an insurance plan.

2) If you're unemployed or makes less than the 140% mark, the you will be enrolled in Medicaid automatically.

Now if you live in one of the 26 cities that have not taken the expansion of Medicaid funds and/or have not setup exchanges, then your SOL...

If you are in one of the 24 states that have or Vermont where they are starting a single payer system, then yes if you're overseas you do not pay any medical bills or you'll be reimbursed if you had to pay out of pocket for services.
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby rudder » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:21 am

djfourmoney wrote:I believe it works like any other national health service. "Obamacare" (Affordable Care Act) works one of two ways.

1) You buy insurance via exchanges. If you make above than I believe 140% above the poverty line (I think it $16K a year) then you qualify for subsidies I think up to about 70% of the cost of buying an insurance plan.

2) If you're unemployed or makes less than the 140% mark, the you will be enrolled in Medicaid automatically.

Now if you live in one of the 26 cities that have not taken the expansion of Medicaid funds and/or have not setup exchanges, then your SOL...

If you are in one of the 24 states that have or Vermont where they are starting a single payer system, then yes if you're overseas you do not pay any medical bills or you'll be reimbursed if you had to pay out of pocket for services.

Let me make sure I understand. So If I only have 12K income/year, then I have free worldwide health insurance coverage?
rudder
Freshman Poster

Postby djfourmoney » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:33 am

rudder wrote:
djfourmoney wrote:I believe it works like any other national health service. "Obamacare" (Affordable Care Act) works one of two ways.

Let me make sure I understand. So If I only have 12K income/year, then I have free worldwide health insurance coverage?

Yes you'll be enrolled into Medicaid, but as I said some countries will make you pay directly out of pocket. Then you'll have to file a claim with Medicaid and wait.

No idea when you'll be reimbursed however, I'd say about six months or less.
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby rudder » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:23 pm

"What's the catch?" comes to mind.
rudder
Freshman Poster

Return to General Discussions