Do You Have a Hard Time Empathizing with People?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
zacb
Experienced Poster

Do You Have a Hard Time Empathizing with People?

Post by zacb »

Not just because of conditions or what not, but just because half the stuff people do is because they bring it on themselves? As of late, I have had a little more sympathy, and try to understand the roots. Many of today's problems can be traced back to ignorance or to a lack of hope, which many of us know all too well. It is kinda sad though, thinking about all the causes for irresponsible behavior, and it feels sad just to think that it is kinda hard to reach them. Now I don't think I will be able to to move abroad for a few years (not just for women), and so I am trying to get my life together here. But I just think of all the stupid stuff, and I think I see it for what it is. Vices are not Crimes got me to see this. The alcoholic, being depressed with his circumstances, decides to drink. People are still responsible for their actions, but you feel like helping them a little bit more.
The Daily Agorist, Learn to Live Independent of the System! http://www.theagoristreview.blogspot.com
Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Hero »

Yes, in fact, I don't give a rat's ass about your problem with feeling empathy.
zacb
Experienced Poster

Post by zacb »

Well at least you have a rough skin about it :D .
The Daily Agorist, Learn to Live Independent of the System! http://www.theagoristreview.blogspot.com
blueeyescanada
Freshman Poster

Post by blueeyescanada »

Men have a harder time empathizing than women; it's our nature.
Look at how men dominate the top tiers of corporations and politics.
In ancient times we had to kill animals and rip them apart, and do the
same to men who tried to screw our harem, so a sense of pity and
understanding was a hindrance.

That being said, this Christmas I'll be giving away some liquor store
gift cards to beggars, as half of them are probably messed up because
of a god-damned woman.
Bane
Freshman Poster

Post by Bane »

I have no problems with empathizing with those who have similar views/outlook to myself.

I have a hard time empathizing with those who have much different views to mine.
"A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world." -Oscar Wilde

"Invincibility is in oneself, vulnerability is in the opponent" -Sun Tzu
S_Parc
Veteran Poster

Post by S_Parc »

Here's the thing, I'm kinda bored of sympathizing with others because for the most part, many ppl use pity (or self-pity) to either justify their sorry state or make excuses as to why they can't get things in order.

For example, you wouldn't believe how many ppl I'd met, who complain about chronic pain (or fatigue) but then, never do any yoga or qigong/tai chi, to possibly change their situation. Instead, it's the same *whoa is me, plz feel sorry for me, and then, buy me a drink* mentality.

I've done my own self-study on these so-called "ailing bozos". I've made a standing poses tai chi/qigong video and sent it to a dozen persons, all with the typical *excuse making* syndromes. Well, after a year of deliberations, I've found that only three of those persons had even bothered to watch the video, and only one person, doing a whooping one of the ten exercises. And even there, he does it every week, instead of every day or every other day.

Net result ... my health & fitness level soars (since I do 'em daily) and everyone else's is in the toilet. And then, I hear complaints about my excellent genetics, providing me with boundless energy when I didn't have this level of endurance in my twenties.

Well, on the inside, I'm waving my middle finger at these ppl.
Many years ago, the Best Picture of 1999, "American Beauty", telegraphed the message of Happier Abroad to the world.

Beware of long term engagements with AWs, you may find yourself in a coffin.

AB discussion thread

BTW, despite settling down with an AW, myself, the warning is still in effect.
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by fschmidt »

I can empathize with people but not sympathize. I sympathize more with animals than with normal people. There is a benefit to not sympathizing with people which is that I have no hesitation in screwing them over in business.
HouseMD
Veteran Poster

Post by HouseMD »

I empathize with them just fine, and can even sympathize, but then I make rational judgements that are separate from my feelings. It's the same sort of thought that goes into putting down a dog- you feel for it, but you do what has to be done.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Empathy is important. People who don't empathize with others can become like sociopaths with no conscience. Kind of like the high pressure salespeople who sell things to people that they don't need, or the business sharks that inflate prices 10 times beyond the value and feel no guilt for ripping people off.

But you can't let others drag you down. If someone's life is in the dumps, you can't be a miracle worker and save the person. All you can do is give them some encouragement and good advice. If you owned a company, maybe you could give the person a job. But you can't rescue others who can't help themselves.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by fschmidt »

Winston wrote:Empathy is important. People who don't empathize with others can become like sociopaths with no conscience. Kind of like the high pressure salespeople who sell things to people that they don't need, or the business sharks that inflate prices 10 times beyond the value and feel no guilt for ripping people off.

But you can't let others drag you down. If someone's life is in the dumps, you can't be a miracle worker and save the person. All you can do is give them some encouragement and good advice. If you owned a company, maybe you could give the person a job. But you can't rescue others who can't help themselves.
This is the exact opposite of my view. The average person is worse than an animal, so why not screw him over? I see no reason. On the other hand, a moral person deserves meaningful help. The Bible says "love your neighbor as yourself" where "your neighbor" is a member of your community who shares your values (Leviticus 19:18). This means that you have an obligation to save members of your religious community. But you owe the average human slime nothing.
HouseMD
Veteran Poster

Post by HouseMD »

fschmidt wrote:
Winston wrote:Empathy is important. People who don't empathize with others can become like sociopaths with no conscience. Kind of like the high pressure salespeople who sell things to people that they don't need, or the business sharks that inflate prices 10 times beyond the value and feel no guilt for ripping people off.

This is the exact opposite of my view. The average person is worse than an animal, so why not screw him over? I see no reason. On the other hand, a moral person deserves meaningful help. The Bible says "love your neighbor as yourself" where "your neighbor" is a member of your community who shares your values (Leviticus 19:18). This means that you have an obligation to save members of your religious community. But you owe the average human slime nothing.
And you just summed up why so many people have it out for the Jews.

Exploitation is unethical, and spreads moral decay as it grows in scale. It leads to the dog-eat-dog hypercapitalism that is the cause pf societal decay. Your views sound like those of a politician or wall street banker.
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by fschmidt »

HouseMD wrote:And you just summed up why so many people have it out for the Jews.
The problem with Judaism is racism. I respect anyone who actually follows any religious tradition. In the case of a Christian, if he keeps the Sabbath, I will respect him and not screw him over.
Exploitation is unethical, and spreads moral decay as it grows in scale.
So exploiting cows and pigs as food is unethical? If not, please explain why the average American is worth more than a cow or pig.
It leads to the dog-eat-dog hypercapitalism that is the cause pf societal decay. Your views sound like those of a politician or wall street banker.
This statement is absurd. The politician or wall street banker belongs to no religion and is a typical member of modern society. My views lead to moral cultures which defeat immoral cultures and cause humanity to progress.
George
Freshman Poster

Post by George »

fschmidt wrote:

This is the exact opposite of my view. The average person is worse than an animal, so why not screw him over? I see no reason.
This is something you would expect a Jew to say, or at least secretly think. It's been the modus operandi of Jews (who are probably the most ethno-centric people in the world) on a wide scale.
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by fschmidt »

George wrote:
fschmidt wrote:The average person is worse than an animal, so why not screw him over? I see no reason.
This is something you would expect a Jew to say, or at least secretly think. It's been the modus operandi of Jews (who are probably the most ethno-centric people in the world) on a wide scale.
Am I wrong? How is the average person better than an animal? I would really like to know.

If you read my other posts in this thread, you would know that my comment here isn't ethno-centric at all. I don't care about ethnicity, I care about behavior.
tre
Junior Poster

Post by tre »

I live by the Golden Rule. I wouldn't do anything to anyone that I wouldn't have done to myself. By anyone, I mean any human being. However, I am not an entitled person and I don't expect to be given anything. I expect "tough love" when I have been in the wrong. That is also what I will give back to those that need it. Sometimes being in a tough spot makes you grow as a person. It requires you to learn something in order to get yourself out of it. There are certain cases where aid must be given, whether it be words of encouragement or financial (financial aid in EXTREMELY rare cases). I feel empathy and sympathy for those that I feel deserve it.

I am in a terrible position currently due to being taken advantage of in business. I was burned because I expected the one I trusted to be as I am. I have never and will never burn anyone in business as it not something one can easily recover from...if ever. I will never completely recover what was lost. This is 100% despicable behavior to screw someone over as I'm sure you wouldn't want the same done to you.

I don't compare animals to people...ever. I was raised near my grandparents ranch and have butchered my fair share of animals. Animals are not people and they are there for our benefit. Some make good pets and some are used for our food. I don't agree with animal cruelty whatsoever...I despise it actually. I don't even agree with certain animals being killed for sport. However, to put animals lives as equal to or higher than human lives is just insane IMO.