Shanghai Trip

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
RedMenace
Freshman Poster

Shanghai Trip

Post by RedMenace »

Only 9 more days until my journey starts. Based on what I have seen on youtube, Shanghai is just like the concrete sh*thole I will be leaving. Are there any towns around Shanghai that are less "developed" and still look Chinese? Also I want to go to places with very little foreign influence and/or foreigners. I plan to avoid the pulpits where most foreigners congregate such as notorious foreigner nightclubs e.t.c.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Shanghai Trip

Post by zboy1 »

RedMenace wrote:Only 9 more days until my journey starts. Based on what I have seen on youtube, Shanghai is just like the concrete sh*thole I will be leaving. Are there any towns around Shanghai that are less "developed" and still look Chinese? Also I want to go to places with very little foreign influence and/or foreigners. I plan to avoid the pulpits where most foreigners congregate such as notorious foreigner nightclubs e.t.c.
I would recommend Hangzhou then! Yeah, its got foreigners, but nowhere near as many as Shanghai. And Hangzhou is only like a few hours from Shanghai by bus, even less by train or airplane. It's a nice place and also its got the famous West Lake area. I recommend you visit the place before you leave China!
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Best thing in Shanghai is the model of Shanghai city. It's in a building somewhere off Nanjing Road.

Other than that, Guangzhou is way more interesting to visit.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Shanghai Trip

Post by Cornfed »

RedMenace wrote:Only 9 more days until my journey starts. Based on what I have seen on youtube, Shanghai is just like the concrete sh*thole I will be leaving.
I was trapped in Shanghai for a few days after my contract ended and I had to wait for my flight home. I stayed in a backpacker hostel that appeared to be an old colonial building in the inner city, complete with the brick wall surrounding it with broken bottles set into mortar on top of the wall, which is of course really cool. The area had really awesome modern skyscrapers as well as the European-constructed International Settlement brick buildings, so the architecture was excellent. Another good thing was that a lot of people actually spoke English and it was a supported language. There were various clues that they were also proud that they had been a point of introduction of Western ideas into China (back in the day when Western ideas didn’t all suck). I have no idea about the dating scene as I was not really interested. It was surprisingly cold for that latitude. An interesting place that I would like to explore more.
Are there any towns around Shanghai that are less "developed" and still look Chinese?
I imagine the towns you are thinking of are across the big bridge in Zhejiang - Suzhou, the West Lake area on Hangzhou and perhaps Nanjing, and various places around there.
The_Adventurer
Experienced Poster

Post by The_Adventurer »

xiongmao wrote:Best thing in Shanghai is the model of Shanghai city. It's in a building somewhere off Nanjing Road.

Other than that, Guangzhou is way more interesting to visit.
Wow! Everyone has different tastes I guess. I think Shanghai is nothing like any concrete shithole in the UK. It's nothing like any place you will ever see. It feels like you're in Blade Runner or some science fiction movie. I love visiting the place. I wouldn't want to stay there TOO long though.

Guangzhou, on the other hand, I thought was the ugliest city I had ever witnessed. I couldn't wait to get out of it. It DID seem better for girls though. I actually had girls ask ME out in Guangzhou.
“Booty is so strong that there are dudes willing to blow themselves up for the highly unlikely possibility of booty in another dimension." -- Joe Rogan
RedMenace
Freshman Poster

Post by RedMenace »

This should be an epic adventure. I bought a portable charger that should fully charge my phone 3/4 times before needing to be recharged. This should allow me to explore for a long period of time and not get caught in the middle of nowhere with 9% lol. My style is simple. Uncombed hair with slight facial hair and sideburns. Clean black canvas shoes with white rim. I like that look. I dislike guys who dress to impress women. lol they look all feminine with shaved eyebrows and oily face. The level of emasculation is unreal.

Will be travelling with a school sized bag. I can't wait lol. My first time out of the country. What's good is I can afford such a trip every year and still save £1000 from my grant and maintenance loan. I need to buy a gift for the female I am going to meet and her friend (diplomacy).

Anyone got an idea what I can buy in the UK? I will be stopping in Amsterdam for 12hrs on my way there also. Only I probably won't be allowed out of the airport so it's not kl. Damn now I just need a backup in case of a sinking ship scenario. She seems like a hard nut to crack from talking to her on skype. Maybe she will crumble in my physical presence. lol first time I will just look deep into her eyes without saying a word. See how she reacts.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

RedMenace wrote:This should be an epic adventure. I bought a portable charger that should fully charge my phone 3/4 times before needing to be recharged. This should allow me to explore for a long period of time and not get caught in the middle of nowhere with 9% lol. My style is simple. Uncombed hair with slight facial hair and sideburns. Clean black canvas shoes with white rim. I like that look. I dislike guys who dress to impress women. lol they look all feminine with shaved eyebrows and oily face. The level of emasculation is unreal.

Will be travelling with a school sized bag. I can't wait lol. My first time out of the country. What's good is I can afford such a trip every year and still save £1000 from my grant and maintenance loan. I need to buy a gift for the female I am going to meet and her friend (diplomacy).

Anyone got an idea what I can buy in the UK? I will be stopping in Amsterdam for 12hrs on my way there also. Only I probably won't be allowed out of the airport so it's not kl. Damn now I just need a backup in case of a sinking ship scenario. She seems like a hard nut to crack from talking to her on skype. Maybe she will crumble in my physical presence. lol first time I will just look deep into her eyes without saying a word. See how she reacts.
Chinese women are notoriously flighty and flake out a lot. I hope that doesn't happen to you while in China! Anyway, enjoy your trip to China, RedMenace. It's definitely an interesting experience for a first-timer to China (talking from experience here, hahaha...).