More Proof that a College Degree is Worthless

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

More Proof that a College Degree is Worthless

Post by jamesbond »

Peter Schiff interviews college graduates and asks them where they are working now, when did they graduate and at the end of the video asks them how much money in student loans they have left to pay back.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXpwAOHJ ... -C4O54FmjE[/youtube]
"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

S_Parc
Veteran Poster

Post by S_Parc »

007, I think you can ask 80% of the white collar workers out there, outside of let's say nuclear engineering or some other really niche sector, on whether or not they use their college education, most will admit that they don't.

The problem is that nowadays, even to work as a paralegal, one needs to present some bachelors degree, to be hired as a full time employee, as oppose to a summer intern. It's really a type of tax, for one to be able to work in an office setting.
Many years ago, the Best Picture of 1999, "American Beauty", telegraphed the message of Happier Abroad to the world.

Beware of long term engagements with AWs, you may find yourself in a coffin.

AB discussion thread

BTW, despite settling down with an AW, myself, the warning is still in effect.
tre
Junior Poster

Post by tre »

You absolutely don't need a college education to do well in the USA. Certain types of employment demand it, but many do not.

In contrast, you DO need a Bachelors Degree to get any decent employment abroad. The only other option is to find ways to make online income, income from investments, etc. so that you can live abroad.

I'm going to get that BA because I want to have the absolute best chance of living abroad without struggling to make ends meet.
zacb
Experienced Poster

Post by zacb »

Those tits lol.
The Daily Agorist, Learn to Live Independent of the System! http://www.theagoristreview.blogspot.com
quito
Freshman Poster

Post by quito »

i dropped out of college as a biology major to enroll in an IT Technical school. I was one of the top 3 in that class and the 2 other guys were hired by IBM to be computer operators but i was not because i did not have a degree. So instead I took up a job as a computer programmer with a smaller company. 2 years later IBM was recruiting me to be a manager over the other 2 guys because I now had programming experience. Its been 25 years since that time and only 1 time did i lose an opportunity because I didnt have a degree. I have obtained roles such as Senior Project Manager and IT Director in some very large fortune 500 companies without a degree.
Will N. Dowd
Junior Poster

Post by Will N. Dowd »

I failed high school math and dropped out of university after a year. I paid off my mortgage at age 38, and retired to be a playboy in Asia at age 40.
S_Parc
Veteran Poster

Post by S_Parc »

quito wrote:I have obtained roles such as Senior Project Manager and IT Director in some very large fortune 500 companies without a degree.
I know of only one other guy in that type of situation, though he's got some associates degree in some econ area.

And he's been all over the map, HP, IBM, Honeywell, etc for decades, however, on his resume, he lists his AA but also hints, *advanced undergrad work*. The idea here is that he's kinda fooling readers into thinking he's a course or two away from a full degree.

So I agree, it's not important, however, as time goes by, HR types do put up these artificial barriers. Today, in IT, I think it's almost expected that a newbie has either a Comp Sci or some other science/engineering bachelors in addition to some work experience.
Many years ago, the Best Picture of 1999, "American Beauty", telegraphed the message of Happier Abroad to the world.

Beware of long term engagements with AWs, you may find yourself in a coffin.

AB discussion thread

BTW, despite settling down with an AW, myself, the warning is still in effect.
HouseMD
Veteran Poster

Post by HouseMD »

Some college degrees are worthless. In fact I'd venture to say the majority of them are. But degrees in engineering, the sciences, computers, mathematics, and trades are good investments. Every time I hear of someone going to school for history or art or some other bullshit I have to struggle not to facepalm so hard that I knock myself out cold.

My degree got me into medical school and got me a job in health care prior to that with an hourly pay in the high 20s or low 30s depending on what shift I was on and whether it was a weekend or not. It was a solid investment that got me out of stocking shelves and selling crap for $9.75 an hour.
Anti-American
Freshman Poster

Post by Anti-American »

tre wrote:In contrast, you DO need a Bachelors Degree to get any decent employment abroad. The only other option is to find ways to make online income, income from investments, etc. so that you can live abroad.

I'm going to get that BA because I want to have the absolute best chance of living abroad without struggling to make ends meet.
For living abroad which Bachelor degrees would you recommend one to get? Which countries?
tre
Junior Poster

Post by tre »

Times are changing and the days of making 6 figures working for a major company without a degree are over. The ones that currently are doing this, will be the last that do. However, you can make $40K-$60K without a degree in the USA currently without much difficulty. That isn't bad and is quite good IMO if you are not supporting a large family on that income.

If you are young (18-30) and want to make 6 figures in the USA, you best get a degree that is actually in demand. Your success, however, will depend on how motivated and smart you are though. This is more true today than ever before. Schools are now overbooked with young people in fields that have recently been blown up by the media...Engineering, Computer Science, etc.. If you are older, I see a graduate having a much more difficult time getting that first job in these lucrative fields.

If you are older (31+) and don't already have good work experience/degree, trade schools would likely be a good option for working in the USA. If all else fails, you can work for yourself once you have these skills. If you want to go abroad, I think Teaching is going to be your best option.
C.J.
Experienced Poster

Post by C.J. »

It depends on who you're depending on to create your future. Of course if you depend on federal entities, you're gonna get shafted so HARD, you won't be surprised that your breath smells like shit.

However, a college education is very useful in most cases. After piggybacking on the university education of many folks AND KILLING DAT SHIZ, college is good for two things - 60% confidence, 40% skill. People who go to college and absorb the valuable parts, are much more confident and potentially more successful than those who use less traditional methods like the internet.

That's not to say that college is for everybody, or that everyone should go. Most people who go, are some of the dumbest fuckers to grace this fine country. They're better off being farm hands or dead weight if anything.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

HouseMD wrote:Some college degrees are worthless. In fact I'd venture to say the majority of them are. But degrees in engineering, the sciences, computers, mathematics, and trades are good investments.
There is massive unemployment in all those areas, especially the sciences, and it has been that way for many years. On the other hand, Bachelor of Attendance (BA) degrees make sense for rich tossers before Daddy gets them the job he would have got them anyway, attractive females wanting to become corporate whores and various subhumans wanting to be hired on an affirmative action basis, who are the main beneficiaries of college "education" these days.
The_Adventurer
Experienced Poster

Post by The_Adventurer »

As I am sure you know, many billionaires have said if you your kid to succeed, get em OUT of school. And we all know how billionaire Larry Elison was pulled off the stage and a University grad ceremony for saying that it is too late for those graduating, but that the first years shoukd RUN LIKE HELL.

Of course, HouseMD can't happen without a degree. Same if you want to build rockets or go into space. It won't help you one bit in my industry though. If you walk into a movie studio, all they want to see is a kick ass demo reel.
“Booty is so strong that there are dudes willing to blow themselves up for the highly unlikely possibility of booty in another dimension." -- Joe Rogan
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

The_Adventurer wrote:As I am sure you know, many billionaires have said if you your kid to succeed, get em OUT of school. And we all know how billionaire Larry Elison was pulled off the stage and a University grad ceremony for saying that it is too late for those graduating, but that the first years shoukd RUN LIKE HELL.
Brilliant. But then again, if you are a young man and your talents lie in the area of academic skills, what exactly are you to do to develop and use those talents without a college education? But then again again, a degree probably won't help you do that anyway. It is hard to think of anything better than giving up, contriving to go on some form of welfare, playing video games, getting drunk and drugged off your ass and supplementing your income with some form of crime. As an added bonus, doing so would probably make you much more attractive to females.
SilverEnergy
Junior Poster

Post by SilverEnergy »

Colleges don't teach you street smarts.

Screw college, become a business owner and an investor.
"Allow me to show you the Power Cosmic!" - Silver Surfer