Why is America so race obsessed? (A Colombian girl asks)

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
Robert77
Freshman Poster

Why is America so race obsessed? (A Colombian girl asks)

Post by Robert77 »

I was talking with this stunning colombian girl in a very nice red dress (about 5'6, slender, long legs, white skin, long black hair and hazel eyes)….. the reason I approached her was because she spoke english fluently though with a detectable colombian accent, something you don't find everyday in colombia, so hey I had to take advantage of the situation and interact with her!

as the conversation went on, she told me she spoke english that well because she studied for two years in america….. when i asked her what she thought of america, she replied openly that america is nice in small doses!!!! its great to go enjoy, take advantage of whats good but remain uninvolved with americans, everyday living and witness it all from an outside perspective!

when i asked her to elaborate, she replied that she felt americans were a bit nuts….. everyone was obsessed with status, and status came not by being polite, or being educated and having plenty of knowledge but by attaining shinny cars, big houses, it all came across as very new money to her, extremely tacky (she mentioned since colombia has always been poor, she'd imagine poor colombians would turn like that if they lived in the US as well)

she then apologized but felt the need to ask (A thing I don't get is, why are Americans so race obsessed?)…. when i studied there, they would dedicate entire classroom sessions to talk about races and race and race and race it was like beating a dead horse!!!! and you'd see these "smart college going americans talking about race and being all pc about it and thinking that is how the world functions" and as a colombian i am sitting there thinking… wow these people are crazy!

everyone in america has a race and a stereotype attached to it: (she mentions)

the asian-america female (stereotyped as docile, petite and serving of her man, they supposedly love white men even though i think is the other way around)

the asian-american male (geeky, supposedly desperate for female companionship)

the black american woman (angry, misunderstood)

the black american man (a player a thug a cheater)

the white american female (a mediocre looking, self absorbed bimbo who thinks the world rotates around her because she's white and every single man out there loves her even though that vastly untrue)

the white american male (an increasingly insecure self absorbed, self entitled man who thinks he's god because he's white and american)

and don't forget the hispanics (who in latin america call themselves hispanics?) only americans with mexican or puerto rican heritage do!!!! she then proceed to mention that in america it was hard for americans to stereotyped her because she was colombian and could pass for white but at the same type she dressed and looked foreign when compared to white americans…. she was just the foreign chic some american men drooled after, and some american women looked at with animosity!

I went like WOOOOW you truly know a lot about america…. she replied I study psychology that's why!!!

she told me that even though the US is a nice place, and she wouldn't mind dating american men, a requirement for her is that they would have to live in south america, NOT IN AMERICA.
World traveler, questions about women from a certain country? Ask!!! I can help

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Robert77
Freshman Poster

Post by Robert77 »

It was so refreshing to meet a good looking intelligent woman….. In america a girl that nice would not even glence at you!
World traveler, questions about women from a certain country? Ask!!! I can help
theprimebait
Junior Poster

Post by theprimebait »

Colombia is more status and white worshipping 1000x than the United states.1000 x more racist against blacks than the united states.the elite there is 100 % Spanish.any blonde joe Shmuck can use racial arbitrage to lay lower class women there.

there its also about who you know not how hard you work,so its funny she would claim the U.S is status obsessed,atleast in the U.S you can raise your status thru hard work.

pot meet kettle.
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

Very good account of a very smart and perceptive (and hot, which is always a bonus) young woman. Wouldn't everyone want to have more of those young ladies this side of the ocean, too? :)
theprimebait
Junior Poster

Post by theprimebait »

Robert77 wrote:It was so refreshing to meet a good looking intelligent woman….. In America a girl that nice would not even glence at you!
maybe not at you.don't speak for everyone.Attractive men have no problems meeting such women in the U.S.
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

theprimebait wrote:Colombia is more status and white worshipping 1000x than the United states.1000 x more racist against blacks than the united states.the elite there is 100 % Spanish.any blonde joe Shmuck can use racial arbitrage to lay lower class women there.

there its also about who you know not how hard you work,so its funny she would claim the U.S is status obsessed,atleast in the U.S you can raise your status thru hard work.

pot meet kettle.
You may be right about many Colombians (mainly from the inland areas, which include Bogota and Medellin) being racist against blacks and worshipping whiteness, but to say Colombians aren't hard working people who can't build their own version of status and success, is complete nonsense. "Who you know" applies everywhere, if anything in the US and other Anglo countries even more where business/professional relationship are the centerpiece of society. Do you still believe in the good ole American Dream where you can "raise status through hard work"?

What I actually observed is that many, many Colombians show a remarkably mature balance between work and play, professional status and revelling in extended family joy. As the lady in the OP, they know what made the US a (once) great country and appreciate it. They are also sharp and discerning enough to stand on their own cultural identity and be critical about aspects that are clearly contributing to the decline of the US. Also, something you may not know or underestimate. Due to the massive impact of leftwing movements on the public discourse and cultural life of Colombia, there are quite a few families of very high cultural stature who are still steeped in that kind of liberal, egalitarian and progressive turf. The fact they may send their kids to study in the US or Europe does not mean they advocate them to take everything they will study and learn at face value and as a whole. They are usually far smarter and more discerning than that. I can tell you this because I have personally met and talked to a few of them. Some of them are Monica's personal or family friends. And I am still a leftie at heart, so talk about elective affinities :)

In general, like here in Europe, being rich (perhaps out of questionable business practices) is not the only marker of success, nor the better one. High school teachers, academics and even (public hospital) doctors don't make much money in Colombia, and yet are held in the highest esteem for the kind of service they provide to society, as well as (in most cases) their intellectual and cultural qualities. That's how it is and that's how it should be, if you ask me.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on May 5th, 2020, 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bones765
Freshman Poster

Post by bones765 »

sounds like my type of girl. catch her before I do. jk. I am too busy to be catching women right now. anyway, she sounds like a girl you should do a move with. :)
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

Of course, after her rant, she apologizes for openly criticizing America for fear of offending an American. Only after your reassurance, does she let her guard down, and begin the state the truth of the United States of Gay.

See...that's the big problem with the mentality of too many Americans: they believe the U.S. is the "Greatest country in the world," and openly stating reasons why it isn't, is cause for condemnation and ridicule by most Americans. Even on this forum, there are those who still defend America with a passion, no matter the signs of complete decay happening within the country. ...
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

zboy1 wrote:Of course, after her rant, she apologizes for openly criticizing America for fear of offending an American. Only after your reassurance, does she let her guard down, and begin the state the truth of the United States of Gay.

See...that's the big problem with the mentality of too many Americans: they believe the U.S. is the "Greatest country in the world," and openly stating reasons why it isn't, is cause for condemnation and ridicule by most Americans. Even on this forum, there are those who still defend America with a passion, no matter the signs of complete decay happening within the country. ...
US surely was the greatest country in the world for some time, and the propaganda machine has been in full force ever since to perpetuate that idea on future generations, even though the country is rolling down the hill faster than many others. Sometime it's benign patriotism, sometimes it's intellectual laziness as it's easy to rest on the delusion that the whole world will be rolling red carpets to the mighty blue passport holder.

So what happens when the world starts showing indifference, or even open hostility, towards Americans? They will have no other choice than show who they really are, as individuals. That means they will have chosen who they want to be and how they want to be seen.
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

And by the way, Zboy et al., I will never stop repeating it. Colombian national/regional pride is on the rise. Medellin recently won a prestigious prize as "the world's most innovative city" (http://edition.cnn.com/2013/10/18/world ... eneration/) and there are sparkles of optimism everywhere you look. Even the Colombian national football team is believed to hold more chance to win the world cup than England and Italy :)

I will not advise anyone speaking to an educated Colombiano/a like they're the ultimate super-duper coolest people on earth. Colombians will accept some mild pandering to their assets and, the smarter of them as the young woman in the OP, a balanced conversation about pros and cons of both societies.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

publicduende wrote:And by the way, Zboy et al., I will never stop repeating it. Colombian national/regional pride is on the rise. Medellin recently won a prestigious prize as "the world's most innovative city" (http://edition.cnn.com/2013/10/18/world ... eneration/) and there are sparkles of optimism everywhere you look. Even the Colombian national football team is believed to hold more chance to win the world cup than England and Italy :)

I will not advise anyone speaking to an educated Colombiano/a like they're the ultimate super-duper coolest people on earth. Colombians will accept some mild pandering to their assets and, the smarter of them as the young woman in the OP, a balanced conversation about pros and cons of both societies.
I see surging national pride in China as well. I guess the developing world is starting to 'catch up' to America in some ways...leading to a rise in nationalism in those countries. ...
skateboardstephen
Junior Poster

Post by skateboardstephen »

zboy1 wrote:Of course, after her rant, she apologizes for openly criticizing America for fear of offending an American. Only after your reassurance, does she let her guard down, and begin the state the truth of the United States of Gay.

Dude..Latin Americans do the same thing.A always Brazilian swears up and down Brazil is the best country in the world and wont accept any opinion of the country unless you are only talking about the good things...mention their lack of infrastructure,corruption,lack of security,inflation,horrible public heath care,crime,horrible public transportation...they don't want to hear it.There is no best country.
se eu soubesse o que eu sei hoje, teria mando mulheres americanas para foder-se há muitos anos.que deus abençoe o brasil!
Mr.Darcy
Freshman Poster

Post by Mr.Darcy »

This girl is an idiot. South america pretty much has a racial caste system.