Why would anyone want to be a doctor or nurse? Too much overtime and schooling required.

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
HouseMD
Veteran Poster

Re: Why would anyone want to be a doctor or nurse? Too much overtime and schooling required.

Post by HouseMD »

Winston wrote:
December 8th, 2017, 3:43 pm
@HouseMD,
I told dianne to tell her sister that if she is going to work in america, that its better to be a pharmacist than a nurse. Because a pharmacist has a high salary with shorter working hours and less schooling is required to get licensed as well. My dentist would always recommend it as the best medical occupation with the best pay and least investment.

So it was obviously true before. But is it still true today still? If so why doesnt everyone study to be a pharmacist rather than a doctor or nurse, if the hours are shorter and less education is required yet the pay is just as high?
Pharmacy is currently an oversaturated field. There are far too many graduates entering the market and wages are rapidly declining. It's easy to outearn a new pharmacist as a nurse these days, and nursing is more fulfilling work with a lot of upward mobility into management and nurse practitioner areas that can far outearn pharmacy graduates. I would highly recommend nursing as a career, or being a physician assistant, but pharmacy has been career suicide for at least the past five years or so.
HouseMD
Veteran Poster

Re: Why would anyone want to be a doctor/nurse? Many negativ

Post by HouseMD »

Master wrote:
September 27th, 2017, 11:56 pm
why would you want to become a doctor?
To f**k nurses of course.
Oh god no. That's how you end up fired or paying child support. Much easier to find a good looking doctor to date, as there are way too many women in the field that have basically priced themselves out of the dating market because women like to date men that earn more than them but very few men meet that criteria once you're a physician.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Why would anyone want to be a doctor or nurse? Too much overtime and schooling required.

Post by MrMan »

HouseMD

What do ou mean by claims work?

How well are regular medical doctors trained in reading research to find out if certain treatments are effective. Do they teach you how to read stats in medical school, or do the researchers have PhDs? Do you normally just read abstracts of the papers?
HouseMD
Veteran Poster

Post by HouseMD »

MrMan wrote:
December 10th, 2017, 9:13 am
HouseMD

What do ou mean by claims work?

How well are regular medical doctors trained in reading research to find out if certain treatments are effective. Do they teach you how to read stats in medical school, or do the researchers have PhDs? Do you normally just read abstracts of the papers?
About 10% of the boards is biostatistics and epidemiology, so it's about a tenth of our training. Research is a blend of MDs, PhDs, and MD/PhDs. Claims work is basically analyzing insurance claims to make sure they are legit and proper medical procedures have been followed.
S_Parc
Veteran Poster

Post by S_Parc »

Here's the scoop, if you take the MCAT and can score over a 30 (my prior practice score was a 34), you should opt for medical school, somewhere in America.

Unlike most other technical fields, a doctor has a guaranteed a job. There are currently, many science and engineering grads who are underemployed, across the board.
Many years ago, the Best Picture of 1999, "American Beauty", telegraphed the message of Happier Abroad to the world.

Beware of long term engagements with AWs, you may find yourself in a coffin.

AB discussion thread

BTW, despite settling down with an AW, myself, the warning is still in effect.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

S_Parc wrote:
December 11th, 2017, 4:15 pm
Here's the scoop, if you take the MCAT and can score over a 30 (my prior practice score was a 34), you should opt for medical school, somewhere in America.

Unlike most other technical fields, a doctor has a guaranteed a job.
Is that even true now? I remember reading about unemployed doctors in parts of China and America.
There are currently, many science and engineering grads who are underemployed, across the board.
Yes, to a large extent science and engineering isn't.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

S_Parc wrote:
December 11th, 2017, 4:15 pm

Unlike most other technical fields, a doctor has a guaranteed a job. There are currently, many science and engineering grads who are underemployed, across the board.
You could also say if you have a certain scores on certain tests that you should get an MBA and a PhD in Accounting. An accounting professor told me his grads, from a middle-level state research 1 university, had five jobs waiting for them when they graduated. There is an undersupply of accounting faculty. I think something is similar for Finance PhD's, but I'm not sure about that. I hear there are too many PhD's. If you go to a really top school, you are on the top of the heap for jobs, especially if you've published.

Getting a PhD in Accounting doesn't require chopping up corpses. There are sleepless nights in grad school working on reading and writing the papers for the seminars and the dissertation. The first year of the job might be extremely demanding, but it probably isn't as stressful or as intense as residency and at that stage, accounting faculty if they get an assistant professor gig may make 80% of what a resident makes. Going forward, they may make as much as surgeons, even more, if they go to fairly highly ranked schools and publish, though the average salary of the PhD is less than the average MD.

But the thing is, most people are not cut out to get PhDs in accounting. You have to have a passion for it. Maybe I could have done that, but I didn't have the inclination. It's the same thing with being an MD. Not everyone is cut out for it. And not everyone is ready to make the sacrifice.

I met a woman who was on some kind of single mother scholarship at a large state university. The state was paying for single moms to go to school. She had two kids. I think they were five-year-old fraternal twins. She was wanting to go to med school and become a doctor. I was in another grad school program at that time, and I told her it was hard to have enough time to spend with the kids, and med school and residency was probably worse for time. I'd go to bed at 1 AM some nights and get out of the door by about 6:15 or so to get to class. It was rough, with study and projects all the time. It was a highly ranked program. If you go somewhere more lowly ranked and less competitive, maybe it would be easier. But I don't think there are any easy med school programs that prep you for the tests and for a job.
Master
Junior Poster
Location: Insane Asylum, Strip Joints, Playboy Mansion, Public Enemies List No.1, Harley Quinn's Heart

Post by Master »

HouseMD wrote:
December 10th, 2017, 6:44 am

Oh god no. That's how you end up fired or paying child support. Much easier to find a good looking doctor to date, as there are way too many women in the field that have basically priced themselves out of the dating market because women like to date men that earn more than them but very few men meet that criteria once you're a physician.

Thats how retarded the medical industry has gotten. It used to be that the doctor makes a lot more than everybody in the hospital and would bang all the nurses and patients. Whats the point of saving lives?

Gold Miners like to date bidding their bars. But whats the point of studying then? We dont we all just become business men, backers, and stockers so we can go to strip jonits and buy off these intelligent hot cheap bitches that otherwise you wouldnt get near that p***y.
Introduce a little anarchy, upset the established order, and everything becomes chaos.
Become An Agent of Choas.

HouseMD
Veteran Poster

Post by HouseMD »

Master wrote:
April 7th, 2018, 3:18 am
HouseMD wrote:
December 10th, 2017, 6:44 am

Thats how retarded the medical industry has gotten. It used to be that the doctor makes a lot more than everybody in the hospital and would bang all the nurses and patients. Whats the point of saving lives?

Gold Miners like to date bidding their bars. But whats the point of studying then? We dont we all just become business men, backers, and stockers so we can go to strip jonits and buy off these intelligent hot cheap bitches that otherwise you wouldnt get near that p***y.
Plenty of girls to bang outside the hospital. I prefer not mixing business and pleasure.
Master
Junior Poster
Location: Insane Asylum, Strip Joints, Playboy Mansion, Public Enemies List No.1, Harley Quinn's Heart

Post by Master »

but when its your life to study for 8 years and work 40+ hours and you get plenty of hot patients and nurses on a routinely basis. You cant help but be pushed into wanting to hit all those pies around.
Introduce a little anarchy, upset the established order, and everything becomes chaos.

HouseMD
Veteran Poster

Post by HouseMD »

Master wrote:
April 7th, 2018, 10:41 am
but when its your life to study for 8 years and work 40+ hours and you get plenty of hot patients and nurses on a routinely basis. You cant help but be pushed into wanting to hit all those pies around.
Plenty of hassle-free smashing to be done in the wild. If you're not obese and you've got a good job, decent personality, and fast car, girls are all the hell over you. Like, I literally have trouble avoiding them.
Master
Junior Poster

Post by Master »

Again, true. But if your life is your career you wont have much time in the wild but at work( which where a huge percentage of promiscuity and marriages happen). That is the key I am obese and thank god im not a doc. Id be hammering so much I wouldnt be able to do my job properly and failing at it.

Your not gassed are you? How old are you?

Thanks for the insights!

HouseMD
Veteran Poster

Post by HouseMD »

Master wrote:
April 7th, 2018, 1:07 pm
Again, true. But if your life is your career you wont have much time in the wild but at work( which where a huge percentage of promiscuity and marriages happen). That is the key I am obese and thank god im not a doc. Id be hammering so much I wouldnt be able to do my job properly and failing at it.

Your not gassed are you? How old are you?

Thanks for the insights!
My particular field is fairly low hours in relation to most other physicians- 35-45, on average. I am 35 (got a late start to medical school, was too busy traveling). Medical school left me with ample time, aside from third year, but even that was maybe 60 hours a week on average. Intern year sucks, no way around that, 80ish hours a week, but after that it is about 70>50>40 as residency winds down, followed by 40ish hour weeks for the rest of my life. It's a pretty sweet gig. I'm also in one of the less messy "lifestyle" fields, which is a plus once I'm an attending.
Master
Junior Poster

Post by Master »

To me thats a lot of hours a week and few for personal time. Not to mention a big potential of you mixing business with pleasure. No wonder you might seem youve got too much to handle and dont see yourself mixing business with pleasure as you might be burned out.

Mercury
Junior Poster

Post by Mercury »

Winston wrote:
January 7th, 2014, 3:40 pm
I have a question. Why would anyone want to be a doctor or nurse? The negatives seem to far outweigh the positives. I mean, consider the negatives:
- A doctor has to spend around 8 years at medical school, which is very expensive and involves many unpaid internships. 8 years is a lot of life to spend.
- A doctor's schedule often involves working long hours, such as 15 hour shifts. So there is little or no time for anything else. No time for freedom, fun, hobbies, travel, or even for family.
Toxic, spoiled American women expect their man to be tough enough to work even 18 hours a day and even as long as 6,000 solid days in a row without ever a single break. In America, you don't live to work and you can not work on even 3 hours of sleep per day, you're labeled a lowlife, even a non-human who belongs even in the electric chair. In this country, people, women especially, expect you to be a robot, capable of even being wide awake all 8,760 hours a year and even capable of handling a thousand plus 24-hour shifts in a row.