What do you think of micronations?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
Wolfeye
Experienced Poster

Post by Wolfeye »

Guys, I thnk you're all forgetting some important things.

Lets look at Cast Away, shall we? When that movie came out, a lot of people thought "Wow, wouldn't that be great?" Then someone would say "Well, don't you think you'd miss being with your family (or would want to have one)?" Then the former would say "Well, I could bring them with me." Then the latter would say "Yeah, but that would be kind of lonely- especially since the kids would have no one to grow up with or get married to." Then the former would say "Well, a bunch of other people & their families would be there, too." That, by-the-way, is MOST OF HUMAN HISTORY! This is exactly what was done for easily 100,000 years.

Another point is that economies cause more problems that you'd think. Overall, people act like money is like a "lifeblood to activity" & it isn't. Then this material is loaned with interest added on- now it's going to be case of chasing a carrot on a stick. Paying off debt now causes more debt! Now someone acts like everything is theirs & someone else is infringing on their property rights by using whatever resources to go about their life.

The same errors that others have built their cultures on is not an effective means of success. Instead, it's a method of failure. A mojor belief is that "to survive, people would need rule & order" (like that Simpsons episode where the kids get stranded on an island like in the Lord of the Flies). Someone doesn't starve to death or die of thirst if there's no RULE to eat & drink. Some can just get under some shade if the sun's a bit to intense at the moment, without any outside orchestration. There's a massive trend of third-party comportment in the "advanced" civilizations- the only think I can think of that runs a parallel to that is demonic possession.

I'd say outsourcing decisions & means of activity to something else (government, king, whatever) is a massively stupid move. It's like doing some kind of death-defying stunt & treating it like it's perfectly safe & everything else is a bad bet. Someone that sees this hi-jacking of someone as compensation isn't trustable. This is a definite self-defense concern. It's odd that some people worry about self-preservation, but don't worry about being "subtracted" out of their own lives.

Don't really see an issue with a self-sufficient planet.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

zacb
Experienced Poster

Post by zacb »

I invite you to join the public forum: http://www.reddit.com/r/panarchistrepublic/

If you are serious about doing this, then pm me, and I will send you a link to the private forum.
The Daily Agorist, Learn to Live Independent of the System! http://www.theagoristreview.blogspot.com
polya
Junior Poster

Post by polya »

I heard some family lived on an old oil rig and successfully started a county and ended up selling it to an oil country like Saudi Arabia. Now, old rigs have to be dis-assembled and no-one will let you take part of their country. Also the paperwork has become impossible too!
"Woman is a violent and uncontrolled animal... If you allow them to achieve complete equality with men, do you think they will be easier to live with? Not at all. Once they have achieved equality, they will be your masters." Cato the Elder
Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Tsar »

polya wrote:I heard some family lived on an old oil rig and successfully started a county and ended up selling it to an oil country like Saudi Arabia. Now, old rigs have to be dis-assembled and no-one will let you take part of their country. Also the paperwork has become impossible too!
Sealand is considered a de facto micronation but it has no resources and no actual land and is limited. Sealand could never become a legitimate country.

I think it's possible in Antarctica. It has true economic potential. A micronation located in Antarctica has the best possibility to become a multi-billion dollar economy. A micronation in Antarctica could become a legitimate and recognized country if developed and permanently populated.
Last edited by Tsar on March 2nd, 2014, 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrPeabody
Experienced Poster

Post by MrPeabody »

The Pitcairn island is a kind a micronation with only 50 people. It was inhabited by the crew of the Bounty and their Tahitian wives after the Mutiny on the Bounty. The descendents are still living there.

Here is a fascinating video made in the 1930s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykgDX-d ... A5ARxoXMn3\\\
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

MrPeabody wrote:The Pitcairn island is a kind a micronation with only 50 people. It was inhabited by the crew of the Bounty and their Tahitian wives after the Mutiny on the Bounty. The descendents are still living there.

Here is a fascinating video made in the 1930s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykgDX-d ... A5ARxoXMn3\\\
Really interesting. It's amazing what you can find on youtube. I was especially interested to learn of the assumption in 1935 that the inhabitants were "weakened by years of cross-breeding." How many great athletes today -- e.g., Derek Jeter -- have one white and one black parent?

I think it said 52 families. There had to be more than 50 people on the island at that time, just based on how many were shown in the video.

Return to “General Discussions”