What do you do to cope with modern American society?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
Temprano26
Freshman Poster

What do you do to cope with modern American society?

Post by Temprano26 »

I am going to make an assumption that most of us are single and left out of the dating game in America because if we had girlfriends we would probably not be on this board talking about how rotten our society is. I am also willing to assume that if any of us had the money to buy a plane ticket and support ourselves in the country of our choice we would be out of here in a day or two.

Sadly, that is not the reality. So what do you do to cope with being single and lonely? Do you go to the gym? Do you fill your life with obsessions?

I go to LA Fitness a lot and shoot baskets but that only works for so long. There comes a point I need more than the satisfaction of achieving an imaginary goal. I smoke more weed than I would like to admit and it is something of a vice to deal with the boredom of seeing the same buildings over and over again. I fantasize about a day when I can walk the streets of a beautiful European city that has rich architecture and not just businesses trying to sell me things. Until I can get my massage career off the ground, I have to deal with an isolationist culture where everybody is too busy ignoring everybody else. Even human touch has a price tag on it.
dreamer82
Freshman Poster

Re: What do you do to cope with modern American society?

Post by dreamer82 »

I would read more. I know it sounds geeky. Magazines like New Yorker, books on history, or countries you're interested in will give you new insights. For example, check out this article about K-pop. It's a little long but interesting. http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2012 ... ntPage=all
NorthAmericanguy
Veteran Poster

Post by NorthAmericanguy »

Temprano26 wrote:I am going to make an assumption that most of us are single and left out of the dating game in America because if we had girlfriends we would probably not be on this board talking about how rotten our society is. I am also willing to assume that if any of us had the money to buy a plane ticket and support ourselves in the country of our choice we would be out of here in a day or two.

Sadly, that is not the reality. So what do you do to cope with being single and lonely? Do you go to the gym? Do you fill your life with obsessions?

I go to LA Fitness a lot and shoot baskets but that only works for so long. There comes a point I need more than the satisfaction of achieving an imaginary goal. I smoke more weed than I would like to admit and it is something of a vice to deal with the boredom of seeing the same buildings over and over again. I fantasize about a day when I can walk the streets of a beautiful European city that has rich architecture and not just businesses trying to sell me things. Until I can get my massage career off the ground, I have to deal with an isolationist culture where everybody is too busy ignoring everybody else. Even human touch has a price tag on it.
I feel your frustration and I can empathize with you. That said, I just want to clarify a few things. Many of us can get girlfriends, but we just don't want American girls. Many of us are just unhappy with the current selection of American women who have a constellation of problems that makes it not even worth it to even court them. Other guys avoid women altogether out of fear of false accusations and things like that.

As far as traveling and living overseas... Well, even if you have some money, sometimes you still can't live where you want because you have to get government permission to live there permanently, or even for extended periods of time. And not only that, but most of the money to be made is still HERE in Western countries. I mean, I love Thailand and all, but even if I could get a permanent visa to live in Thailand, I don't want to work to earn a Thai Baht. You have to think about when you get older when money will really matter more then anything.

That said, I do the best I can to earn as much as I can with my business and then use some of that money to travel overseas. While you're young (18-45), I really think it's the best way to do it. Make good western money, and save most of it, all while leaving the country a few times a year for a get way. You guys who want to live this lifestyle should be able to easily do it if you have no kids and no wife.

Check out this video (relocating to the 3rd world):

Wolfeye
Experienced Poster

Post by Wolfeye »

I'm reminded of that line in The Rock when Stanley & Mason are both locked in cells: Mason said that he "nurtured the hopw that there was hope." You might need to remind yourself of that occasionally, just don't start blinding yourself to circumstances. Good things can be very much like water in the desert, here- and just like the desert, there's a massive amount that ISN"T water. It might not be favorable ground, so to speak.

Also, I train (not just exercise, but sharpening useful skills in general). That's helpful, if nothing else it can facilitate you having things go well in nother place (if you're looking to move, that is). Learning languages & skills to do things for yourself (I know that's kind of broad, but it's also something that is generally missing & it tends to get to people on a subtle level).

Honestly, I DO drink a lot when I have the money. Sometimes it's just recreational, but sometimes it's to take a bit of a vacation.
tre
Junior Poster

Post by tre »

Temprano26 wrote:I am going to make an assumption that most of us are single and left out of the dating game in America because if we had girlfriends we would probably not be on this board talking about how rotten our society is. I am also willing to assume that if any of us had the money to buy a plane ticket and support ourselves in the country of our choice we would be out of here in a day or two.

I'd focus on bettering yourself. You are studying to be a Massage Therapist, so why not study things that you could use to go along with it? Become an expert in Nutrition, Reiki, and emotional healing. Broaden your skills so that you can insure more success in the future. Also, get yourself into the best shape of your life. Learn how to optimize health and to maintain it. That way you can easily maintain it abroad and help others do the same. There are things you can do RIGHT NOW that you won't be able to do in the future while you are abroad. Do those things NOW so that you can be rewarded later....outside of this country