Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.


Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife



View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile


Who is American?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Who is American?

Postby skateboardstephen » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:47 pm

I thought a persons nationality was the country in which they are born (and it is) but why oh why do people have this idea that American nationality only applies to White people?People say "Black" as if Black was it's own country,with a separate nationality and Language.In Brazil White,Blacks,Asians,Natives,Mixed and Middle Eastern people are all Brazilians.....Why can't i as a Black American...just simply say i'm American?
se eu soubesse o que eu sei hoje, teria mando mulheres americanas para foder-se há muitos anos.que deus abençoe o brasil!
skateboardstephen
Junior Poster
 
Posts: 756
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 10:11 pm
Location: salvador,brazil







Re: Who is American?

Postby nicho12 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:37 am

skateboardstephen wrote:I thought a persons nationality was the country in which they are born (and it is) but why oh why do people have this idea that American nationality only applies to White people?People say "Black" as if Black was it's own country,with a separate nationality and Language.In Brazil White,Blacks,Asians,Natives,Mixed and Middle Eastern people are all Brazilians.....Why can't i as a Black American...just simply say i'm American?


My friend whether you like it or not, your race will always be your nationality
nicho12
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 269
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:51 pm
Location: Cleveland, Ohio

Postby manly5000 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:23 am

Who says you can't call yourself American, Stephen?
Out in the world living the dream!
manly5000
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 446
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:43 pm

Re: Who is American?

Postby skateboardstephen » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:09 pm

nicho12 wrote:
skateboardstephen wrote:I thought a persons nationality was the country in which they are born (and it is) but why oh why do people have this idea that American nationality only applies to White people?People say "Black" as if Black was it's own country,with a separate nationality and Language.In Brazil White,Blacks,Asians,Natives,Mixed and Middle Eastern people are all Brazilians.....Why can't i as a Black American...just simply say i'm American?


My friend whether you like it or not, your race will always be your nationality


Not if you believe in logic.In Brazil people know race and nationality are two different things so why are Americans so confused?
se eu soubesse o que eu sei hoje, teria mando mulheres americanas para foder-se há muitos anos.que deus abençoe o brasil!
skateboardstephen
Junior Poster
 
Posts: 756
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 10:11 pm
Location: salvador,brazil

Postby skateboardstephen » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:11 pm

manly5000 wrote:Who says you can't call yourself American, Stephen?
People don't say i can't.In the U.S. it seems to be implied that only White people are Americans.While in other multiracial countries every one identifies with their nationality.
se eu soubesse o que eu sei hoje, teria mando mulheres americanas para foder-se há muitos anos.que deus abençoe o brasil!
skateboardstephen
Junior Poster
 
Posts: 756
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 10:11 pm
Location: salvador,brazil

Postby manly5000 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:31 pm

Well... as hard as it is to believe, there are certain flaws in the American way of thinking.... LOL! :P
manly5000
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 446
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:43 pm

Postby have2fly » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:26 pm

Ladislav discussed this issue many times. Government is asking you to pick your ethnicity when you fill out employment application. U.S. government splits Americans into: White, Black, Hispanic, Asian or Mixed people.

I completely disagree and consider this total bullshit. I am an immigrant, why isn't there a selection for "immigrant American"? I am considered white, but I am way different from most While American-born men. And yes, I would prefer to call myself just "American", but the government itself is promoting racism.
have2fly
Junior Poster
 
Posts: 588
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:42 pm

Postby skateboardstephen » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:31 pm

have2fly wrote:Ladislav discussed this issue many times. Government is asking you to pick your ethnicity when you fill out employment application. U.S. government splits Americans into: White, Black, Hispanic, Asian or Mixed people.

I completely disagree and consider this total bullshit. I am an immigrant, why isn't there a selection for "immigrant American"? I am considered white, but I am way different from most While American-born men. And yes, I would prefer to call myself just "American", but the government itself is promoting racism.


Well.... White,Black,Asian are races,Hispanic is not a race it's an ethnic group,Mixed is not a race..I say you can't mix something then call it a race.The U.S. government if f***ing up with these labels.

But i wasn't talking about that though.My question was.Why is it that because i'm Black,people seem to imply that Black and American are mutually exclusive and only White people can be American?I heard of people..mostly racist Latinos say that African Americans have no nationality and no language.??Really???English is not a language?U.S. citizen is not a nationality?Then they say we have no culture which really pisses me off.Black American culture is American culture.I think there is no such thing as Black culture(yes we have some different mannerisms from other groups).We learned things like Christianity,Christmas,Thanks giving,Easter from Anglo-Saxons who are now considered Americans..American culture is our culture.
se eu soubesse o que eu sei hoje, teria mando mulheres americanas para foder-se há muitos anos.que deus abençoe o brasil!
skateboardstephen
Junior Poster
 
Posts: 756
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 10:11 pm
Location: salvador,brazil

Postby Teal Lantern » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:53 pm

skateboardstephen wrote:Well.... White,Black,Asian are races,Hispanic is not a race it's an ethnic group,Mixed is not a race..I say you can't mix something then call it a race.The U.S. government if f***ing up with these labels.

But i wasn't talking about that though.My question was.Why is it that because i'm Black,people seem to imply that Black and American are mutually exclusive and only White people can be American?I heard of people..mostly racist Latinos say that African Americans have no nationality and no language.??Really???English is not a language?U.S. citizen is not a nationality?Then they say we have no culture which really pisses me off.Black American culture is American culture.I think there is no such thing as Black culture(yes we have some different mannerisms from other groups).We learned things like Christianity,Christmas,Thanks giving,Easter from Anglo-Saxons who are now considered Americans..American culture is our culture.

Latino bigots like to pull this on blacks because they usually only get that one reaction.
Next time you run into this, ask what their language is?
Spanish.
and what country & continent does Spanish come from? Spain and Europe.
So neither Spanish nor English are native languages to the New World, then? :wink:
I have never had to have that discussion more than once with a latino bigot. 8)

Some will try the "Well, Spanish was used before English, in the New World" (and is somehow better because of this?)

Well, horses were used before cars, right? 8)
не поглеждай назад. 8)

"Even an American judge is unlikely to award child support for imputed children." - FredOnEverything
User avatar
Teal Lantern
Veteran Poster
 
Posts: 2686
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:48 pm
Location: Briar Patch, Universe 25

Postby skateboardstephen » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:14 pm

Teal Lantern wrote:
skateboardstephen wrote:Well.... White,Black,Asian are races,Hispanic is not a race it's an ethnic group,Mixed is not a race..I say you can't mix something then call it a race.The U.S. government if f***ing up with these labels.

But i wasn't talking about that though.My question was.Why is it that because i'm Black,people seem to imply that Black and American are mutually exclusive and only White people can be American?I heard of people..mostly racist Latinos say that African Americans have no nationality and no language.??Really???English is not a language?U.S. citizen is not a nationality?Then they say we have no culture which really pisses me off.Black American culture is American culture.I think there is no such thing as Black culture(yes we have some different mannerisms from other groups).We learned things like Christianity,Christmas,Thanks giving,Easter from Anglo-Saxons who are now considered Americans..American culture is our culture.

Latino bigots like to pull this on blacks because they usually only get that one reaction.
Next time you run into this, ask what their language is?
Spanish.
and what country & continent does Spanish come from? Spain and Europe.
So neither Spanish nor English are native languages to the New World, then? :wink:
I have never had to have that discussion more than once with a latino bigot. 8)

Some will try the "Well, Spanish was used before English, in the New World" (and is somehow better because of this?)

Well, horses were used before cars, right? 8)
I live in Brazil and i speak Spanish,Portuguese.I have Latino friends in the U.S. i used to live in a city with the 2nd largest population of Puerto Ricans in the U.S. (Philadelphia)one of my good friends in Philly was Colombian.I have read up on on studied Latino culture and history for 5 years straight and this goes even farther than their language..Nothing almost NOTHING Latinos claim as their culture originally comes from Latin American countries yet their main argument to justify saying Americans have no culture is to say that everything in America comes from some where else (which is not true) Catholicism(European),Spanish,French,Portuguese(European Languages),Soccer(European),the beans they eat(African),The rice they eat(Asian),the plantains they eat(Indian/Asian),the slag words they use which are clearly African words...like Mangú,Mofongo,Dendê,Vatapá,Muleque,Cafuné,Camdomblé,Berimbau and millions of words in Spanish and Portuguese languages spoken in Latin America are not from Latin America.October fest in Brazil(European) their beers(German)The Caraval in Brazil,Colombia,Venezuela and where ever else it is celebrated originates from the old Roman Empire making it European.Their instruments come from mostly Africa and Europe,Their Music genres like Merengue,Tango,Salsa,Pagode,Samba,Reggaeton are highly influenced by African people. Mexican Corridos and the Accordions they use to play it come from Italy.The Accordion is also used in Brazilian Sertanejo music which is no different from country music in the U.S.Brazilians Bossa Nova music was highly influenced by American Jazz Music,Brazilian Funk Music influence by Miami Bass Music.Most Latinos have ancestors who came from some where else.The only thing that has origins in Latin America is Native Americans and their culture and Languages and even they came from Asia across the Bering Strait.And these faggots say that Americans have no culture????GTFOH!!!

IS Football,Baseball,Basketball not American sports thus apart of American culture??The way we dress,Our Music is Rock,Hip-Hop,Blue grass not American culture?The internet and other technology.I'm not going to go any further.
se eu soubesse o que eu sei hoje, teria mando mulheres americanas para foder-se há muitos anos.que deus abençoe o brasil!
skateboardstephen
Junior Poster
 
Posts: 756
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 10:11 pm
Location: salvador,brazil

Postby Mr Natural » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:34 am

skateboardstephen wrote:In the U.S. it seems to be implied that only White people are Americans.......people seem to imply that Black and American are mutually exclusive


Bullshit. I have traveled and lived all over the world, including all over the USA, and never heard such a thing. Sounds to me that you have heard this from some select few and are transferring it to an entire nation. I have plenty of criticisms for the USA and am certainly no apologist, but in this case I call bullshit.
Everybody has a plan til they get punched in the mouth
Mike Tyson
User avatar
Mr Natural
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 205
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:20 pm
Location: North Dakota

Postby zboy1 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:45 am

Mr Natural wrote:
skateboardstephen wrote:In the U.S. it seems to be implied that only White people are Americans.......people seem to imply that Black and American are mutually exclusive


Bullshit. I have traveled and lived all over the world, including all over the USA, and never heard such a thing. Sounds to me that you have heard this from some select few and are transferring it to an entire nation. I have plenty of criticisms for the USA and am certainly no apologist, but in this case I call bullshit.


Well...it's certainly true in Asia...Most Asians only think of 'White' as Americans, with some Blacks mixed in the population. For Asians and Hispanics, they might as well be non-existent in America...
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 4445
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:33 am

Postby Mr Natural » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:54 pm

So they don't think Barrack Obama is American? They don't think of Jesse Owens or Muhammad Ali or Michael Jordan as Americans? How about Oprah Winfrey or Denzel Washington? When I travel internationally, I'm often seen as German or Russian simply due to my looks, until I start talking and the American accent becomes obvious. On the other hand if I am wearing my Stetson they automatically assume that the cowboy must be American. If I am in Bangkok down on Soi 3 and see a couple of black guys, if I had to guess where they are from it would probably be Africa. Why? First, the overwhelming majority of black folks in Bangkok are not from the states but elsewhere, there are very very few American black guys there. Second, Soi 3 is an area where you see a lot of guys from the Middle East and Africa hang out. Now if I heard those same two guys speaking English with a Detroit accent then of course it would be quite obvious they are Americans. So it's just common sense, it's not because of some racist "implication".

First the OP says "In the U.S. it seems to be implied that only White people are Americans" but then he says "I heard of people..mostly racist Latinos say that African Americans have no nationality". So first he says an entire nation is implying this, but then narrows it down to, as I said, some few people.

Your point about Asians is well taken though. Except I would say that when they hear the word American they do tend to think of white folks first, but it's not right to say exclusively. And this is something you probably do see all over the world because of one simple reason; when you travel around the world the overwhelming majority of black people that you see, by far, are not from the states. Because an extremely small percentage of the black population in the USA travel very much internationally. Outside of the USA probably 98% of black people you see are from somewhere else. But to say that black people are not thought of as Americans is simply not true. Everybody in the world knows that Lebron James, Morgan Freeman and Samuel Jackson are Americans.

There's enough racism in the world as is, let's not try to invent even more.
Everybody has a plan til they get punched in the mouth
Mike Tyson
User avatar
Mr Natural
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 205
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:20 pm
Location: North Dakota


Return to General Discussions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 2 guests