Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.


Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife



View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile


What do you talk about?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

What do you talk about?

Postby Tsar » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:25 am

I don't really talk to anyone. I have no social life in America. Anytime I talk with people it's online discussions, professional, or business. It's been that way ever since I graduated high school, and when I was in high school I was an extreme loner and didn't talk much to anyone. Part of the reason why I was a loner was and is because I stammer (I have choppy speech and a slower speaking rate; see the King's Speech for a general reference).

Because I don't know how to socialize I don't know what to do. It takes two people to socialize. I know that once I get comfortable with a person it becomes easier to talk with them. If I feel I'm more powerful than they are I could easily talk with them. If we share mutual interests I could probably talk with them about something. If I really trusted them I would be able to talk easier. But ultimately I don't know how to talk to a new person or what to talk about.

Part of the reason why I don't know how to socialize is that Americans in my generation never wanted to really talk with me or to be friends. It's very clicky in America. Also, I was bullied because I stammer which contributed to me becoming a loner and not talking to people in America. Then there is the fact I have social anxiety.

Most general topics seem to be lackluster or to lack a deeper meaning. I am a person that wants there to be great meaning in things and I am more of a quality person compared to a quantity person. I want the things I say and do to generally have a meaning and to be of quality. In America it's mainly superficial. In America many people have no true friends and dysfunctional relationships, so I know I'm not really missing out on anything in America. However, I don't know what I should do when the time does come for me to find friendships and create relationships abroad.

So when you begin talking online, do online messaging, or you meet a new foreign girl in person, what do you talk about? How to start things off when it comes to chatting? What about when you meet a random foreign girl you want to say hello and chat with?

Link for reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxew7HJS_Zo
Tsar
Experienced Poster
 
Posts: 1824
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:40 pm







Postby ChampionKaji » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:51 am

I talk about how if you're Black, you're a born loser, especially if you like Asian girls.
ChampionKaji
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 128
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:26 am

Re: What do you talk about?

Postby Teal Lantern » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:17 am

Tsar wrote:So when you begin talking online, do online messaging, or you meet a new foreign girl in person, what do you talk about? How to start things off when it comes to chatting? What about when you meet a random foreign girl you want to say hello and chat with?

I've met very few (none that I can think of right now) women who didn't enjoy talking about ...themselves.
Prompt the smarter ones with a question and just let the hamster run (in person, nodding in the right places). :lol:
If she likes your look, topic won't matter. She'll either follow the convo or steer it to a topic she CAN follow -- then do most of the talking.

I hear the younger, low-brow "Hey, u want sm fuk?"** type women require even less effort, if you're attractive.
Can't help you with those. :D

**The smarter ones "want sm fuk", too, but they like a more subtle ask. 8)
не поглеждай назад. 8)

"Even an American judge is unlikely to award child support for imputed children." - FredOnEverything
User avatar
Teal Lantern
Veteran Poster
 
Posts: 2686
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:48 pm
Location: Briar Patch, Universe 25

Re: What do you talk about?

Postby Tsar » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:39 am

Teal Lantern wrote:
Tsar wrote:So when you begin talking online, do online messaging, or you meet a new foreign girl in person, what do you talk about? How to start things off when it comes to chatting? What about when you meet a random foreign girl you want to say hello and chat with?

I've met very few (none that I can think of right now) women who didn't enjoy talking about ...themselves.
Prompt the smarter ones with a question and just let the hamster run (in person, nodding in the right places). :lol:
If she likes your look, topic won't matter. She'll either follow the convo or steer it to a topic she CAN follow -- then do most of the talking.

I hear the younger, low-brow "Hey, u want sm fuk?"** type women require even less effort, if you're attractive.
Can't help you with those. :D

**The smarter ones "want sm fuk", too, but they like a more subtle ask. 8)


I know that girls like to talk more and that's good. The problem wasn't with me. The problem is that America and I aren't compatible. I believe I could have talked with more compassionate and genuine girls if I lived abroad, and gained genuine friends abroad, but in America it's about stereotypes and accepting a cookie cutter place in society. In America uniqueness and being more refined and mature isn't appreciated.

Maybe I do know how to talk to girls and people but I can't do so in the toxic West because I am not compatible in the West.

I would say that I'm a 7.5 or 8 when it comes to physical attractiveness compared to other men, but I am one or two inches shorter than the American average. I'm 1" inch or 1.5" inches taller than former Russian President Dmitry Medvedev. I think I'm the height of Russian President Vladimir Putin. Based on my the average height measurement I receive I come out to the same height as Vladimir Putin. I know my looks are not a problem and shouldn't be a problem. I look European because I'm Mediterranean with some Slavic.
Tsar
Experienced Poster
 
Posts: 1824
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:40 pm

Postby TheAustralianMan » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:30 pm

Talk about the weather ;)
Vietnam 2015
TheAustralianMan
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:48 am
Location: Adelaide

Postby Tsar » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:36 pm

TheAustralianMan wrote:Talk about the weather ;)


That's not something a person talks about. That is what a person would say when they don't know what to talk about and basically is a waste of conversation time. I don't think anyone talks about the weather unless they will actually be doing something that requires a certain form of weather.
Tsar
Experienced Poster
 
Posts: 1824
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:40 pm

Postby TheAustralianMan » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:43 pm

Tsar wrote:
TheAustralianMan wrote:Talk about the weather ;)


That's not something a person talks about. That is what a person would say when they don't know what to talk about and basically is a waste of conversation time. I don't think anyone talks about the weather unless they will actually be doing something that requires a certain form of weather.

I was being facetious.
Vietnam 2015
TheAustralianMan
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:48 am
Location: Adelaide

Postby Tsar » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:14 pm

TheAustralianMan wrote:
Tsar wrote:
TheAustralianMan wrote:Talk about the weather ;)


That's not something a person talks about. That is what a person would say when they don't know what to talk about and basically is a waste of conversation time. I don't think anyone talks about the weather unless they will actually be doing something that requires a certain form of weather.

I was being facetious.


I guess I sort of knew that. I'm just a very serious person. I know I need to try and lighten up more but it's difficult for me to lighten up.
Tsar
Experienced Poster
 
Posts: 1824
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:40 pm

Postby Teal Lantern » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:52 pm

Tsar wrote:
TheAustralianMan wrote:Talk about the weather ;)


That's not something a person talks about. That is what a person would say when they don't know what to talk about and basically is a waste of conversation time. I don't think anyone talks about the weather unless they will actually be doing something that requires a certain form of weather.

TheAustralianMan isn't far off the mark.
I once** asked a woman at a party "Are you the one who brought xyz?" (not trying to "score", just wanted to hear a bit more of her accent :razz: ).
That convo lasted another hour plus, talking about various things ... her leading. :shock:
She could have easily just said "yeah" and walked away.

I don't think anyone talks about the weather unless they will actually be doing something that

You ain't gonna do ... squat ... unless you say something, first. The weather, or whatever isn't the point; it's just an opener.

waste of conversation time

Is there an agenda? A report due? Your ride gonna turn back into a pumpkin? :?
"Fast" results == "fast" women ... the cost is you may not be the only one they're "fast" with.

** Ok, I've done it a little more than once. :oops: :D
не поглеждай назад. 8)

"Even an American judge is unlikely to award child support for imputed children." - FredOnEverything
User avatar
Teal Lantern
Veteran Poster
 
Posts: 2686
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:48 pm
Location: Briar Patch, Universe 25

Postby Tsar » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:08 am

Teal Lantern wrote:
Tsar wrote:waste of conversation time

Is there an agenda? A report due? Your ride gonna turn back into a pumpkin? :?
"Fast" results == "fast" women ... the cost is you may not be the only one they're "fast" with.

** Ok, I've done it a little more than once. :oops: :D [/color]


No but I think having a meaningful and eloquent conversation is nice. I know that things have to be a little superficial at the beginning, then discovery questions to learn about each other, and then the deep and meaningful topics. I would like the conversation to be eloquent.
Tsar
Experienced Poster
 
Posts: 1824
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:40 pm

Postby TheAustralianMan » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:30 am

Tsar wrote:
TheAustralianMan wrote:
Tsar wrote:
TheAustralianMan wrote:Talk about the weather ;)


That's not something a person talks about. That is what a person would say when they don't know what to talk about and basically is a waste of conversation time. I don't think anyone talks about the weather unless they will actually be doing something that requires a certain form of weather.

I was being facetious.


I guess I sort of knew that. I'm just a very serious person. I know I need to try and lighten up more but it's difficult for me to lighten up.

All good mate, people are all different!

My advice would be to seek out more personal interests, then you can discuss these interests with like-minded people. A bit like we discuss women and living abroad on this forum. Seeking out new experiences gives you something interesting to talk to people about.
Vietnam 2015
TheAustralianMan
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:48 am
Location: Adelaide

Postby S_Parc » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:11 am

Tsar, you live in New England and can't talk to the avg Joe/Jane about the weather?

I don't know about you but that's the number one ice breaker/topic of conversation with just about everyone, from the gas station attendants, store clerks, all the way to the post office and the laundry-mat.

Here's an idea ... develop a stopwatch pattern. In other words, randomly engage someone, I don't care about the gender, for roughly ~5 mins, talk about the weather, whatever sports team is doing well (or poorly), and/or about some restaurant or a particular dish.

Then, exit the conversation before the 7 min mark. Don't let it linger, past that point. Usually, that's when ppl's defenses come up and they try to ascertain your motives, etc.

Make this a practice. In other words, do this as frequently as possible. Whatever you do, however, don't try to go past that 7 minute mark, if you don't have a story to tell. This is key. Ppl want to be entertained and told stories, if they want to hang out with you. But before you get to that raconteur level, you need to feel comfortable around ppl, without the shyness habit kicking in.
16 years ago, the Best Picture of 1999, "American Beauty", telegraphed the message of Happier Abroad to the world.

Beware of long term engagements with AWs, you may find yourself in a coffin.

AB discussion thread

BTW, despite settling down with an AW, myself, the warning is still in effect.
S_Parc
Veteran Poster
 
Posts: 2414
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:01 pm

Postby Teal Lantern » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:44 am

Tsar wrote:No but I think having a meaningful and eloquent conversation is nice. I know that things have to be a little superficial at the beginning, then discovery questions to learn about each other, and then the deep and meaningful topics. I would like the conversation to be eloquent.

Yeah, you have to be in the right setting, or be lucky enough to encounter someone capable of holding an eloquent conversation on a topic you're both into.
I find non-trivial topics to be rare in women under 30.
They'll be more impressed with
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoVZoCmkdjY[/youtube]

To many (dare I say most?) young women, eloquent conversation sounds like
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhiCFdWeQfA[/youtube]
(although the ones in Wallet Seeking Mode will pretend to care). :D

I agree with S_Parc, get your small-talk skills going with both men and women.
I'd start with just 1 or 2 minutes, though, with people you're not trying to pre-qualify for dating.
не поглеждай назад. 8)

"Even an American judge is unlikely to award child support for imputed children." - FredOnEverything
User avatar
Teal Lantern
Veteran Poster
 
Posts: 2686
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:48 pm
Location: Briar Patch, Universe 25

Postby Renata » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:21 pm

When talking to girls that you would like to get aquainted with, ask about their life, their family, pets, thier likes, hobies, interests, jobs. Once you get all that out, it should take 5 mins to ask those questions. Look for anything you have in common with her, try to elaborate on it, then tell her a few things about yourself. Then tell her something interesting, a story about yourself, an achievement, or something funny you did or crazy, it will open up for more natural conversation if the both of you share a personal experience.

For example, I went camping and we saw a bear, or I went swimming & all my clothes went missing, blah blah blah, or if she likes pets or art & you do too then you can elaborate on it. Unfortunately when we go on dates this is the superficial crap that one talks about unless you both have some great connection or chemistry going on. Since you find it difficult to chat it may be best to do an activity together as a date like, pottery painting, cooking class, archery course, bird watching, bowling, or whatever you fancy.

Your last resort is to do Speed dating, chat for 3 minutes & move one. I think this may be a good idea for you. It may bring you some practice, try it with one of your mates just for fun.
- It's easy to give, when you know what it's like to have nothing. -

- Develop a backbone, not a wishbone. -
Renata
Experienced Poster
 
Posts: 1106
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 11:14 pm
Location: Ireland

Postby S_Parc » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:45 pm

Renata wrote:When talking to girls that you would like to get aquainted with, ask about their life, their family, pets, thier likes, hobies, interests, jobs. Once you get all that out, it should take 5 mins to ask those questions. Look for anything you have in common with her, try to elaborate on it, then tell her a few things about yourself. Then tell her something interesting, a story about yourself, an achievement, or something funny you did or crazy, it will open up for more natural conversation if the both of you share a personal experience.


Renata, sorry to rain on this one, but this is not South America.

In New England, ppl take their personal space and privacy very seriously. A person, who's just shown up and starts asking all these personal questions up front, gets the label of being "nosy, intrusive, etc".

For instance, someone whose family is troublesome, may lash out ... 'yeah, my dad beats up my mom and my brother had just committed suicide.' Or simply shutdown & not say anything.

A better approach is a light and fluffy, meaningless question .. 'you like Jack's Grill, what's good over there?'

And somewhere in listening to the person's answer, you'd better have a stock answer like 'NY Sirloin' or 'Lamb Shank', as your favorite grilled item, so that it doesn't sound like an interrogation, but a dialogue.
16 years ago, the Best Picture of 1999, "American Beauty", telegraphed the message of Happier Abroad to the world.

Beware of long term engagements with AWs, you may find yourself in a coffin.

AB discussion thread

BTW, despite settling down with an AW, myself, the warning is still in effect.
S_Parc
Veteran Poster
 
Posts: 2414
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:01 pm

Next

Return to General Discussions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Kradmelder, Yahoo [Bot] and 6 guests