"Is America Still Puritan After All These Years?"

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
Anti-American
Freshman Poster

Post by Anti-American »

jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by jamesbond »

QuestionMark wrote:This is a great topic, great points were made and great discussion. James Bond, you hit the nail on the head with almost every post. This is something I've noticed for over ten years now. And it's one of the big reasons why I've wanted to leave the states and move somewhere else for so long.

Yes America is prudish and puritanical. And as you stated, they're are contradictions of that in society all over the place.

I've heard some of those things about Europe and that just makes Europe sound even better. I gotta get over there.

In America, if you want to see nudity or even toplessness on tv, or even just profanity, you pretty much have to pay significantly more money for movie channels.
Yes America is ridiculous in it's puritanical views of sex and nudity. We are one of the few countries in the world where p4p is illegal. Just think of all the tax revenue the government would get if it legalized p4p. The national debt would be paid off in no time. :P

I read that in Germany hoes charge 60 euros which is only $ 72 American dollars. In Poland, they only charge $ 30 American dollars! I can't wait to get my ass over to Europe. My first stop is Berlin, Germany then maybe Frankfort and Hamburg. I think I will try to make it to Amsterdam as well. Yes, I will be visiting brothels over there along with doing a lot of sight seeing and "cold approaching" women as well.

I have been to Canada and Mexico but never overseas. I swear to God and sonny Jesus the day I get on my flight to Europe will be the happiest day of my life! 8)
"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."
S_Parc
Veteran Poster

Post by S_Parc »

jamesbond wrote:My first stop is Berlin, Germany then maybe Frankfort and Hamburg. I think I will try to make it to Amsterdam as well. Yes, I will be visiting brothels over there along with doing a lot of sight seeing and "cold approaching" women as well.
Given the fact that German F-K-K clubs have restaurants [ some are all-you-can-eat ] and private bedrooms, can't one just stay there, in place of getting a hotel room :)
Many years ago, the Best Picture of 1999, "American Beauty", telegraphed the message of Happier Abroad to the world.

Beware of long term engagements with AWs, you may find yourself in a coffin.

AB discussion thread

BTW, despite settling down with an AW, myself, the warning is still in effect.
onethousandknives
Junior Poster

Post by onethousandknives »

http://www.cracked.com/article_19575_5- ... lieve.html

So for more copypasta time, regarding American Puritanism, I think some of the facts there presented are relevant.

The Reality:

Although sex between unmarried couples was theoretically a crime in Puritan society, that hardly slowed them down. It just meant that their society was rife with shotgun weddings. According to some studies, up to 1 in 3 Puritan women were pregnant when they were married. The odds of becoming pregnant from one act of intercourse are a lot lower than that, so that's a lot of deviant behavior for a group that cheerfully crushed people to death for looking "witchy."

Given that they lived in such a repressive and extremist society, these dangerous criminals must have carried out their illicit affairs with discretion, right? Not even close. The Puritans had sex everywhere. They had sex in churchyards. They had sex in ditches and in hedges. They had sex in bars and in bean patches and on porches. One of the most common places for Puritan servants to have sex was in the kitchen, often while the other servants watched.
So, basically, Puritans match modern day America to a T. Big big talk about sexual morality and purity and chastity. No walking said talk.

Modern Evangelicalism even matches to some extent the Puritans in this manner.
It's not even like the clergy were uptight about a little action in the bedroom or bean patch. The Puritan church not only condoned sex for pleasure between married spouses, it actually required it. Sex was mandatory not only because it produced offspring, but because the Puritans believed that sexually pleasing one's spouse was a religious duty. At least one man was excommunicated from the Puritan church for refusing to have sex with his wife. Impotency or poor sexual performance was considered grounds for divorce, and a man was not to withdraw from his wife in case he ruined her orgasm.

So, how could the Puritans justify awesome sex for married couples but no sex for the unmarried? The Puritan church believed that because marriage was between a man, a woman and Jesus, sex should also be between a man, a woman and Jesus. This wasn't even a metaphor: The Puritan church sought converts by describing the "voluptuous delights" that awaited them in heaven with their "heavenly husband." Yeah, they're talking about sex with Jesus.
The entirety of the Mormon religion, another distinctly American religion started polygamy for this reason, because they'd be your wives in Heaven (thus leading you to creating civilizations in the afterlife...) Though they thankfully did not talk about as far as I know, intercourse between Jesus Christ.

But as far as modern Evangelical stuff, the parallels to nowadays are uncanny.

I can't present any solution to America's modern day sexual or relational or whatever crisis, nor will I try to, but I find the comparison of America being Puritanical quite accurate, though most people present the Puritan's not as they were, but more like monastics or something, which is not the case.
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by jamesbond »

Hey guys check this article out called, "A Study Suggests American Women Are Prudes, Bad Flirts, Socially Awkward." Here are some excerpts from the article.

A study conducted by an ever so reliable source—an online dating site, has concluded that American women are a pack of prudes. The study ranked women according to country on their online flirting skills, or rather their ability to ask men out on dates. Spain came in first place while the United States came in second to last, just above Ecuadorian ladies.

Poland scored the title of second most flirtatious, followed by the Dominican Republic, Italy, Argentina, and Brazil.

Here are some men's reply's to the article:

I think this has some validity, the two best flirts I have ever met, one was from Guiana the other Jamaica. The two worst were both from the U.S., seriously their idea of flirting was about as charming as having glass thrown in my face.

Yeah American Women are definitely prudes. I think its these damn Romantic comedies that brainwash women into finding that perfect man that simply doesn’t exist. Its enough to make a man turn gay. In Spain though women have no problem approaching a man they like and maybe sleep with them if they are in the mood. It doesn’t make them a whore, it only makes them human. In America women will almost never approach a guy they like and simply tease you to death. No wonder their are so many gay guys in America.

Considering all the propaganda in the US about how ‘dangerous’ and ‘evil’ men are, I would not be the least bit surprised if an American woman thought that someone showing sexual interest in them was a threat.

I agree with the article. When traveling outside of the U.S.A., my social-culture status improves significantly. I, also, find it much easier to find a romantic and sexual partner when I travel abroad. American women are not interested in me sexually or otherwise. However, foreign women are very interested in me sexually and personally and. are, often, very aggressive about the same.

Sounds correct to me. I’ve lived in many different countries and Americans were by far the least romantic and worst in the bedroom department. It’s a combination of a self-centered attitude toward life (I’m super important, so is my stuff, my time, and my personal achievements), a guilty attitude toward sex (due to all the religious wackos), and a general lack of culture (except for a superficial TV/movie culture which is fake and creates unrealistic expectations). I’m voting for German women as the least prude, and French women as the most romantic.

Here is the link for the article: http://zeldalily.com/index.php/2010/11/ ... y-awkward/
"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."
SilverEnergy
Junior Poster

Post by SilverEnergy »

^^^
America is a business atmosphere, not really a social one.

America is pretty much dead last in flirting.

America is about prudish sexual mindsets, individualism and money making.

However, America is an excellent place to make money, just not the best for dating.
"Allow me to show you the Power Cosmic!" - Silver Surfer
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by jamesbond »

Check out this excellent video where American puritanism is discussed. About 4 minutes into the video he gives these statistics;

High school girls who sign abstinence only pledges are 6 times more likely to perform oral sex, 4 times as likely to have anal sex and are just as likely to get an STD as a girl who does not sign an abstinence only pledge! :shock:

ntm1972
Freshman Poster

Post by ntm1972 »

jamesbond wrote:High school girls who sign abstinence only pledges are 6 times more likely to perform oral sex, 4 times as likely to have anal sex and are just as likely to get an STD as a girl who does not sign an abstinence only pledge! :shock:
Shocker? Not really.

Young women are determined to experiment with their sexuality with all the "hawt" guys. When she signs an abstinence pledge, she says "Well, that only applies to one of my three holes!" She then hums the chorus to Meatloaf's song "Two Out of Three Ain't Bad".
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by jamesbond »

This video explains why Americans are more comfortable with violence in movies than they are with nudity in movies.

jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by jamesbond »

Here is a good commentary explaining why p4p should be legal in America.

Tezcatlipoca
Freshman Poster

Post by Tezcatlipoca »

yeah I think that is one big fight with latino culture too because catholicism is about supporting the working man and family life whereas in america you are "a better person" for having a hard work ethic
bladed11
Freshman Poster

Post by bladed11 »

Women dont want to be married to men. They want to get you suckered into marriage so then they can find an excuse to divorce you, play the victim, and cash out on your hard work, and then blame you for the whole thing so it's guilt free on their conscience. They want to be married to the government, to small dogs, or to celebrities they never met. Women do want to work but they will still take a chunk of all their ex's checks. Expensive prostitutes.
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by jamesbond »

bladed11 wrote:Women dont want to be married to men. They want to get you suckered into marriage so then they can find an excuse to divorce you, play the victim, and cash out on your hard work, and then blame you for the whole thing so it's guilt free on their conscience.

They want to be married to the government, to small dogs, or to celebrities they never met. Women do want to work but they will still take a chunk of all their ex's checks. Expensive hoes.
It's funny how in America, 72% of all divorces are initiated by women! I also read that 80% of divorces are over trivial things like, the wife is mad at her husband because he doesn't communicate with her as mush as she would like. Or, she is bored of her husband and feels the only way she'll be happy is to divorce him. :roll:

You can thank the "no fault divorce" laws we have in America for the astronomical rise in divorce since 1970 (when no fault divorce laws were written).