Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.


Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife



View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile


Fourth interview at McDonalds with no offer, just amazing

Discuss and talk about any general topic.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Fourth interview at McDonalds with no offer, just amazing

Postby miss_conduct » Tue May 13, 2014 10:56 pm

So earlier this morning I went to an interview at MickeyD's...this one is the fourth one I have been on in a few years, and I have seen no offer in sight.

I did work for McD's for about a year (2007) but the bitchy behavior of some of the female coworkers was getting me to the point that I couldn't take it much longer-plus they were probably hoping I would quit anyway. Of course, this had to happen right before the horrendous start of the recession. The difference in getting hired pre-recession and 2008 and later is like night and day.

I don't know if it went down with the manager that I had co-worker difficulty, or I was put down as "not eligible for rehire" or something like that. The McD's I worked at was a franchise and the ones I interviewed at were all corporate, don't know if that made a difference. This co-worker problem (they were all catty, snippy southern black women which I feel comfortable saying because I know I can be politically incorrect here 8) But this happened SEVEN years ago. Can't all that be water under the bridge?

Ahhh, the good old days of 2006...getting a job was a cakewalk compared to now!!!

This is some kind of country, guys, cannot even get a job at a local McDonald's anymore???? I am surprised more people than me are not on the verge of a nervus breakdown these days!
Be good, or be good at it.
miss_conduct
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:23 pm







Postby jtest28 » Tue May 13, 2014 11:32 pm

I believe it.

I have a friend who just spent months trying to get hired at the Chicken plant and he's a young 24 yo in shape. Unreal. In 1998, I could walk in there and get hired on any day of the week.

You know, come to think of it, your story about not being able to get hired on at places like freakin McD's, I've heard others having the same experiences.
jtest28
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 333
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:49 pm

Postby Winston » Tue May 13, 2014 11:54 pm

How about applying at another fast food place? Or go to an employment agency. They always have assignments. I worked for one many times.

Are you near a big city? If so, extra work in films, TV shows and corporate videos are easy to get. Talent agencies cast for them and also have promotional work as well. It's all independent contractor work with no commitment, but if you are reliable they will give you regular work. I did lots of extra work and promotion gigs through talent agencies. Call all the ones you in your area and ask how to apply. It's easy and fun.
Check out the latest posts in our blog The Happier Abroaders.

Don't forget my HA Grand Ebook and Dating Sites!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
User avatar
Winston
Site Admin
 
Posts: 23612
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:16 pm

Postby Winston » Wed May 14, 2014 12:51 am

Winston wrote:How about applying at another fast food place? Or go to an employment agency. They always have assignments. I worked for one many times.

Are you near a big city? If so, extra work in films, TV shows and corporate videos are easy to get. Talent agencies cast for them and also have promotional work as well. It's all independent contractor work with no commitment, but if you are reliable they will give you regular work. I did lots of extra work and promotion gigs through talent agencies. Call all the ones you in your area and ask how to apply. It's easy and fun.


I posted more info on this here:
http://www.happierabroad.com/forum/view ... 284#179284
Check out the latest posts in our blog The Happier Abroaders.

Don't forget my HA Grand Ebook and Dating Sites!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
User avatar
Winston
Site Admin
 
Posts: 23612
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:16 pm

Postby miss_conduct » Wed May 14, 2014 6:14 am

I checked out the link. Thanks! It look like that is something worth pursuing.

I live 42 miles south of Atlanta. I do not drive in the big ATL. I am however willing to take Marta to go to events down there.

I have had zero luck with employment agencies even before 2008. Seems that after I got done filling out the stack of paperwork, I never hear from one of the people working there, even to discuss the ins and outs of that agency. I'm only guessing you live in a much better area than I do!

I have a degree in printing and graphics but even finding a place nearby to intern at was about impossible. I know the economy sucks all over the US, but I think where I live the job market is particularly rotten!
Be good, or be good at it.
miss_conduct
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:23 pm

Postby Jester » Wed May 14, 2014 7:51 am

I detest the way employers put jobseekers through hoops.

I used to hire high-level telemarketers, I interviewed them, roleplaying a sales call etc., and told them right then and there if they had the job or not. Some were surprised to be turned down on the spot. I told them that I didn't want to waste their time, since this was a commission job, and I could tell if they weren't going to be able to make money in it. They always thanked me and we parted friends.

I just do not see a reason to string someone along through multiple interviews unless you are hiring a chief executive or head of security or something.
"Pick a point and go to it."
-- Dr John Hunsucker, speaking about canoeing on Georgia's Lake Lanier, with its irregular shape, and 1000 miles of meandering shoreline
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 7869
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:10 am
Location: Chiang Mai Thailand

Postby starchild5 » Wed May 14, 2014 7:56 am

Have you considered working abroad?

If you have an American accent , sky is the limit for you in Asia...You can easily get an English teaching job abroad as few members here have already done is successfully....They will pay for your airfare, accommodation, processes your visa, pay for your food..What else one can ask for...

http://www.eslcafe.com/jobs/

http://www.eslcafe.com/joblist/

http://www.eslemployment.com/

As you can see everyday 100s of job opening...Its like walk in the park for you...especially in China, you will rule it there...no one to boss you around...I'm from India, my accent sucks, else , I would have gone myself but I know many foreigners who are very happy in Asia working as English teacher compared to their life back home.

All you need to apply or better if you do few certification, you will get into a better position and can demand where you wanna go...You can teach in Japan, Korea but China is the easiest....Good Luck...Try it..You will be living a dream in 3-4 months time....
User avatar
starchild5
Experienced Poster
 
Posts: 1664
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:32 am

Postby somedude » Wed May 14, 2014 5:08 pm

miss_conduct wrote:I checked out the link. Thanks! It look like that is something worth pursuing.

I live 42 miles south of Atlanta. I do not drive in the big ATL. I am however willing to take Marta to go to events down there.

I have had zero luck with employment agencies even before 2008. Seems that after I got done filling out the stack of paperwork, I never hear from one of the people working there, even to discuss the ins and outs of that agency. I'm only guessing you live in a much better area than I do!

I have a degree in printing and graphics but even finding a place nearby to intern at was about impossible. I know the economy sucks all over the US, but I think where I live the job market is particularly rotten!


Unfortunately most jobs are obtained by networking, or rather who you know. In my experience in upwards of 9 out of 10 job positions never get posted publicly due to current employees knowing and recommending candidates, they may have the position filled before ever needing to look at hiring off the street.

Employment agencies generally suck. I would look at more specialized outfits like maybe even IT staffing/contracting firms if you're wanting something related to your degree (some IT depts have a print/graphics shop), or you could do some freelance for cheap just to build some experience on the resume (and networking, build up those references and rep). LinkedIN is a good place to have a professional profile too and build up connections.

If you have to rely on the food/service industry short term, befriend some wait staff at a couple places, become very good friends... that's almost the main way places find new wait staff on short notice, their existing help usually knows someone who can come in the next day and hit the ground running.

Hope that helps.
---

SD
somedude
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 86
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:46 am

Postby Winston » Wed May 14, 2014 6:19 pm

Jester wrote:I detest the way employers put jobseekers through hoops.

I used to hire high-level telemarketers, I interviewed them, roleplaying a sales call etc., and told them right then and there if they had the job or not. Some were surprised to be turned down on the spot. I told them that I didn't want to waste their time, since this was a commission job, and I could tell if they weren't going to be able to make money in it. They always thanked me and we parted friends.

I just do not see a reason to string someone along through multiple interviews unless you are hiring a chief executive or head of security or something.


How did you know who would make money in telemarketing and who wouldn't? Was it due to their charming voice? Their ability to act fake and positive in trying to please others? Their aggressive talking attitude?

Girls tend to do better at that kind of thing, because people are nicer to girls, especially men, and less likely to hang up on them.

somedude wrote:Employment agencies generally suck.


Not for me they didn't. They gave me tons of good work that allowed me to save up money to go abroad. In fact, when I first went to Russia in 2002, my employment agency, Kelly Services, kept emailing me asking when I was coming back because they wanted me to work. They kept asking "Don't you want to come back and work?"

It might be because as an Asian, there is a positive stereotype on me of being a good worker with brains. But I also did well in the typing and office filing tests too. And my face looks kind and genuine, which rubs off well on a lot of employers. It could also be because God and the heavenly forces were trying to help me fulfill my destiny.
Check out the latest posts in our blog The Happier Abroaders.

Don't forget my HA Grand Ebook and Dating Sites!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
User avatar
Winston
Site Admin
 
Posts: 23612
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:16 pm

Postby xiongmao » Wed May 14, 2014 7:40 pm

Skill up and get a career, NOT a job.

I went to a job fair for geeks in London last week. Geeks are in such short supply that ALL the food and drink was free in this place.

Next event's in November if you're over here and know your jQuery from your NHibernate.

And to anyone who thinks you need a college degree for this... I self taught myself into the industry. I was in tears back in '97 trying to learn how to program from JavaScript for Dummies, but I stuck at it, and it paid off.
In February 2013 I quit my boring job and now I'm Happier Abroad...
Do YOU want to date beautiful foreign women? Find out which country's women are best for you, and which dating site to look for them on!
Plus, if you like Asian girls, then check out my free Asian dating site.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster
 
Posts: 2542
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:09 pm
Location: London

Postby somedude » Wed May 14, 2014 10:18 pm

Winston wrote:
Jester wrote:I detest the way employers put jobseekers through hoops.

I used to hire high-level telemarketers, I interviewed them, roleplaying a sales call etc., and told them right then and there if they had the job or not. Some were surprised to be turned down on the spot. I told them that I didn't want to waste their time, since this was a commission job, and I could tell if they weren't going to be able to make money in it. They always thanked me and we parted friends.

I just do not see a reason to string someone along through multiple interviews unless you are hiring a chief executive or head of security or something.


How did you know who would make money in telemarketing and who wouldn't? Was it due to their charming voice? Their ability to act fake and positive in trying to please others? Their aggressive talking attitude?

Girls tend to do better at that kind of thing, because people are nicer to girls, especially men, and less likely to hang up on them.


Can't speak for Jester but this usually just comes with experience. I've interviewed thousands for tech jobs, it's very easy to spot the fakes vs talent early in the interview... if they even pass the resume test.


somedude wrote:Employment agencies generally suck.


Not for me they didn't. They gave me tons of good work that allowed me to save up money to go abroad. In fact, when I first went to Russia in 2002, my employment agency, Kelly Services, kept emailing me asking when I was coming back because they wanted me to work. They kept asking "Don't you want to come back and work?"

It might be because as an Asian, there is a positive stereotype on me of being a good worker with brains. But I also did well in the typing and office filing tests too. And my face looks kind and genuine, which rubs off well on a lot of employers. It could also be because God and the heavenly forces were trying to help me fulfill my destiny.


Glad they worked for you. They suck though as generally all you get is menial work with a subpar wage. I have contracted with them on the hiring side and I know what they are paid to provide you, and what they in turn pay you. Sometimes that gap is more than 50%. This is why I feel that they suck. They are good for building experience to put on the resume though, and to help get one through rough patches. I suppose that's why they used to be referred to as temp agencies.

Like Xiongmao said though, it's best to build up a career with some experience. Skip the middleman and direct contract or hire when you get enough exp. and contacts built up in your networking circle. But I can't stress the networking enough, this is equally as important as your experience. As I mentioned before, in many firms positions are only posted publicly as a last resort.

I disagree on the shortage of geeks though. There is no general shortage, but rather a shortage of QUALITY geeks. Lots of posers out there who know just enough to squeak by unfortunately. Also there are some companies who love these types because they think they can get them cheap and train them on the job, but they eventually learn you get what you pay for and that these type of folks are not trainable or just plain too lazy.
---

SD
somedude
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 86
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:46 am

Postby Cornfed » Wed May 14, 2014 10:32 pm

somedude wrote:I disagree on the shortage of geeks though. There is no general shortage, but rather a shortage of QUALITY geeks. Lots of posers out there who know just enough to squeak by unfortunately. Also there are some companies who love these types because they think they can get them cheap and train them on the job, but they eventually learn you get what you pay for and that these type of folks are not trainable or just plain too lazy.

Yes, there is no shortage, they just won't train anyone and insist on years of the absolute right type of experience. I met an Indian programmer in Sydney with ten years or all kinds of .Net programming experience who couldn't get a job to save his life, since the demand was all in the finance sector and that was the one sector he hadn’t worked in, so his CV would be automatically rejected by crawler programs. Of course most jobs in the industry are really just bullshit anyway and there is obviously no shortage of people who can turn up and drink hippy tea or whatever.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 4650
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:22 am

Postby somedude » Thu May 15, 2014 12:16 am

Cornfed wrote:
somedude wrote:I disagree on the shortage of geeks though. There is no general shortage, but rather a shortage of QUALITY geeks. Lots of posers out there who know just enough to squeak by unfortunately. Also there are some companies who love these types because they think they can get them cheap and train them on the job, but they eventually learn you get what you pay for and that these type of folks are not trainable or just plain too lazy.

Yes, there is no shortage, they just won't train anyone and insist on years of the absolute right type of experience. I met an Indian programmer in Sydney with ten years or all kinds of .Net programming experience who couldn't get a job to save his life, since the demand was all in the finance sector and that was the one sector he hadn’t worked in, so his CV would be automatically rejected by crawler programs. Of course most jobs in the industry are really just bullshit anyway and there is obviously no shortage of people who can turn up and drink hippy tea or whatever.


Yeah there's alot of that going on too. The finance companies are most times twats to work for anyway.

100% of the work I have done the last 10 years has all been word of mouth via my professional circles. A friend/former coworker who's familiar with my skills recommends me, the interview is just a formality usually. I'm not one to make liars out of my contacts either, I always perform at or beyond expectations and everyone is happy.

I can't stress enough the importance of having a professional social network to rely on for business opportunities.
---

SD
somedude
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 86
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:46 am

Postby droid » Thu May 15, 2014 1:28 am

Winston wrote:It might be because as an Asian, there is a positive stereotype on me of being a good worker with brains. But I also did well in the typing and office filing tests too. And my face looks kind and genuine, which rubs off well on a lot of employers. It could also be because God and the heavenly forces were trying to help me fulfill my destiny.

Take some credit man. Maybe, just maybe, you actually do a good job and they see the benefit.
At least this is more positive than refering to demons and the invisible wall lol
1)Too much of one thing defeats the purpose.
2)Everybody is full of it. What's your hypocrisy?
User avatar
droid
Veteran Poster
 
Posts: 2460
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:38 am

Postby Jeremy » Fri May 16, 2014 3:15 pm

I couldn't get any job (McDonald's, Walmart, temp jobs... you name it) from 2010 to 2012, even with my fancy $100,000 degree.

I now have a job that pays above minimum wage, but it was a total fluke. Can't screw this up or it's back to getting rejected for grocery bagging jobs.

Meanwhile 90-IQ welders from my high school graduating class are making over twice as much as me and already buying their first homes lol.
Jeremy
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 373
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:47 am

Next

Return to General Discussions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], JohnDoeBigBaller and 5 guests