Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.

Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

Being authentic/down-to-earth alienates you in America

Discuss and talk about any general topic.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Postby pete98146 » Wed May 21, 2014 5:01 pm

Winston wrote:
pete98146 wrote:Down to earth people are normally old souls IMHO. They have a quiet ease about them and they don't feel the need to be a hyperactive, idiotic chatterbox. Sadly, American women crave drama and with their almost constant need to be entertained, the down to earth guy is seen as boring.

I've been around the block too many times with American women and I can tell you they are seeking any combination of the following:

1. Wealth
2. Good looks
3. Entertainment
4. Drama

The fewer traits that you possess from items 1-4 the worse you'll fare with AW. The down to earth male lacks #3 and #4.

I agree. But shouldn't you add #5: Bad boy look with tattoos? lol. American girls always seem to choose those types.

I'm not sure about #3 though. Just because someone is down-to-earth doesn't mean they're boring. They can be funny and tell a lot of jokes and laugh a lot. I'm not always serious all the time. I laugh a lot and make my own jokes. Ask Rock. He will tell you that it's true about me.

I agree that down-to-earth people are probably old souls. That would make sense.

But how come senior citizens and older people in America are so down-to-earth? Is it because that's how older people are, or because they grew up in a generation where people were more down-to-earth? In the 1950's, were young people down-to-earth? Were the kids on "Leave It To Beaver" down-to-earth?

Another observation I had while traveling:

People in small towns tend to be more down-to-earth than people in cities. The reason is because cities (especially big cities) tend to attract people who are materialistic, shallow, fake, corrupt, money sharks, and disconnected from nature and spirituality. That's why those are the types of people you find in big cities. They are extroverts with no inner life who are directed by the outer reality, not the inner. Thus they need a hectic busy outer world to distract the from the emptiness within them.

On the other hand, small towns attract people who like peace and quiet, low-stress, and the natural surroundings of the countryside. Such people will have corresponding personalities that match such a lifestyle of course. Thus you will find more authentic down-to-earth types in small towns and rural areas, and out hiking in nature too. They are more laid back because they are in a laid back environment. Rules are also less strict in small towns, and much more bendable, than in cities. The smiles you see in small towns also look more genuine. This is especially the case in small towns with populations of a few thousand or less. The smaller the town, the more these attributes apply.

I think I know why. You see, artificial people fit in more with artificial environments, whereas authentic people fit in more with nature and natural surroundings -- because nature is more authentic than cities are of course. In general, the bigger the city, the more artificial the people will be, and the smaller the city, the less artificial they will be. Fake, shallow, corrupt personalities do not truly connect with nature, nor with peace and quiet. They find nature to be hollow and small towns to be boring. They can't stand peace and quiet because they have no inner life and do not like to face the ugliness of their soul, so they need constant distractions. They lack the ability to be one with nature or one with the universe.

Does that make sense?

Great post. Yes I omitted #5 and it does need to be added to the list. Also agree with your other comments.
pete98146
Experienced Poster

Re: Why does being down-to-earth alienate you in America?!

Postby fschmidt » Wed May 21, 2014 7:09 pm

Mystery Writer wrote:
Winston wrote:If you are down-to-earth and authentic in America, then you are a big misfit and totally out-of-place.

[Snip of a long, rambling, inchoate rave]

Does that make sense?
No.

Speaking to you now as an old guy, I'm EXACTLY the type you describe as down-to-earth. Yet, I find that your intolerant, victimized portrayal of America is not at all down-to-earth. In fact, you're as silly as those you disparage: you believe in astrology and conspiracy theories; advocate loveless sex; behave like a parasite; take long vacations while your child is abandoned in the Philippines, etc.

If you don't like being attacked for having an opinion, change that rule -- don't do it yourself.

HTH

P.S. Spot any flying saucers on your vacation? :P

This is completely ad hominem, and irrelevant. Being down-to-earth and authentic has nothing to do with beliefs or morals. The opposite of down-to-earth and authentic is fake, and there are no people in this world who are more fake than Americans are. I don't belief in astrology and conspiracy theories, I have been married for 23 years, and I homeschooled my kids, and I totally agree with Winston on this, that if you aren't a fake little shit, you will be a big misfit and totally out-of-place in America.
Following the Old Testament, not evil modern culture
fschmidt
Veteran Poster

Postby Winston » Thu May 22, 2014 1:33 am

Mystery Writer,
That's it. You are a complete waste of time and space. All you do is use ad hominem attacks with no substance or point. You contribute nothing and are a negative influence with zero value. All you do is take the opposite stance from me on every issue without substance. Those are the clear actions of a troll. I'm gonna ban you now for trolling.

Moreover, you lied about being down-to-earth. You do not act down-to-earth at all. I've talked to many older people and seniors here that are down-to-earth, and you talk nothing like them. Down-to-earth people do not use ad hominem attacks in every post without a valid point. Duh. Thus, you are a liar as well as a troll.
Last edited by Winston on Thu May 29, 2014 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out the latest posts in our blog The Happier Abroaders.

Don't forget my HA Grand Ebook and Dating Sites!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
Winston
Site Admin

Postby S_Parc » Sat May 24, 2014 4:52 pm

Mystery Writer wrote:
Winston wrote:If you are down-to-earth and authentic in America, then you are a big misfit and totally out-of-place.

[Snip]

Does that make sense?
No.

Speaking to you now as an old guy, I'm EXACTLY the type you describe as down-to-earth. Yet, I find that your intolerant, victimized portrayal of America is not at all down-to-earth

Here's my response to Mystery Writer's spiel, Mel and I get a lot of attention from ppl around us. A lot of times, it's jealousy, as they see two relaxed & happy persons, something they themselves can't have in their own lives. You can spot the jealous couplets in a heartbeat with these canned intros ...

Them: Where did you two meet?
Us: In college
Them: When was that?
Us: Decade & half ago

And then you see it in their faces, they feel deflated, as they'd met at a club/party & most likely, have been bickering and thinking of splitting up. They know that they can't compete against two happy persons who'd been friends since early adulthood.

With the above stated, Win's rage against the machine is pretty much ... spot on.

Where I depart from Win is that he's now eating clock. It's been over two decades since he'd become an adult. There's no point in replaying the same tape of *Team USA sucks*, again and again, without an exit in mind. I believe that staying in Vegas is slowly killing him, in almost the same way as Nicolas Cage's character in "Leaving Las Vegas" but w/o the whiskey issue.

Winston, ever since you'd posted about the stripper gal in Carson City, I've been thinking that your resolve is dissolving and the Nicolas Cage path is descending upon you. I think as a Pisces Sun, you can't put up a psychic blockade against the dysfunctional ppl around you. Please break this cycle before it's too late.
16 years ago, the Best Picture of 1999, "American Beauty", telegraphed the message of Happier Abroad to the world.

Beware of long term engagements with AWs, you may find yourself in a coffin.

AB discussion thread

BTW, despite settling down with an AW, myself, the warning is still in effect.
S_Parc
Veteran Poster

Postby publicduende » Sat May 24, 2014 5:03 pm

S_Parc wrote:With the above stated, Win's rage against the machine is pretty much ... spot on.

Where I depart from Win is that he's now eating clock. It's been over two decades since he'd become an adult. There's no point in replaying the same tape of *Team USA sucks*, again and again, without an exit in mind. I believe that staying in Vegas is slowly killing him, in almost the same way as Nicolas Cage's character in "Leaving Las Vegas" but w/o the whiskey issue.

Winston, ever since you'd posted about the stripper gal in Carson City, I've been thinking that your resolve is dissolving and the Nicolas Cage path is descending upon you. I think as a Pisces Sun, you can't put up a psychic blockade against the dysfunctional ppl around you. Please break this cycle before it's too late.

Like many of the posters here, he has found that fantasizing about bar girls in AC and knowing that his complaints will always resonate with a part of this forum readership, is all he needs to be contented. And those eat all you can buffet, of course...

I obviously hope nothing tragic will happen to him, nothiing more than his own (self-inflicted!) psychological blockade at least. Yet, I know by experience that sometimes only a trauma can finally get us to kick some of the old habits out of the door and start a new chapter in earnest. Even 30 years after becoming an adult...
publicduende
Veteran Poster

Postby S_Parc » Sat May 24, 2014 5:22 pm

publicduende wrote:
S_Parc wrote:I think as a Pisces Sun, you can't put up a psychic blockade against the dysfunctional ppl around you. Please break this cycle before it's too late.

Like many of the posters here, he has found that fantasizing about bar girls in AC and knowing that his complaints will always resonate with a part of this forum readership, is all he needs to be contented. And those eat all you can buffet, of course...

I obviously hope nothing tragic will happen to him, nothiing more than his own (self-inflicted!) psychological blockade at least. Yet, I know by experience that sometimes only a trauma can finally get us to kick some of the old habits out of the door and start a new chapter in earnest. Even 30 years after becoming an adult...

The thing is that it's easier for a person like myself, to follow Win's path than him. I don't think he's able to compartmentalize long term.
16 years ago, the Best Picture of 1999, "American Beauty", telegraphed the message of Happier Abroad to the world.

AB discussion thread

S_Parc
Veteran Poster

Postby Grunt » Sun May 25, 2014 6:11 pm

Correction, being in America is what alienates you in America. The problem lies in the culture, not any individual person.
How to deal with newbies that talk much but do little.

Pics or it didn't happen.

YES/NO

Cool story, bro.

Problem solved.
Grunt
Junior Poster

Postby Winston » Mon May 26, 2014 6:24 am

S_Parc wrote:
Mystery Writer wrote:

[Snip]

Does that make sense?
No.

Speaking to you now as an old guy, I'm EXACTLY the type you describe as down-to-earth. Yet, I find that your intolerant, victimized portrayal of America is not at all down-to-earth

Here's my response to Mystery Writer's spiel, Mel and I get a lot of attention from ppl around us. A lot of times, it's jealousy, as they see two relaxed & happy persons, something they themselves can't have in their own lives. You can spot the jealous couplets in a heartbeat with these canned intros ...

Them: Where did you two meet?
Us: In college
Them: When was that?
Us: Decade & half ago

And then you see it in their faces, they feel deflated, as they'd met at a club/party & most likely, have been bickering and thinking of splitting up. They know that they can't compete against two happy persons who'd been friends since early adulthood.

With the above stated, Win's rage against the machine is pretty much ... spot on.

Didn't you read my updates? I haven't been in Las Vegas for several weeks. I've been on a road trip in the Southwest, which is what I came here for. I just went hiking for three days in Carlsbad Caverns, NM. Didn't you see the awesome photos I posted here:

http://www.happierabroad.com/forum/view ... 568#180568

Geez. Stop assuming things. You can't compare me with Nicholas Cage's character in "Leaving Las Vegas". He was degenerate and drank himself to death. I do not drink, smoke, or do drugs. And I only watch wholesome TV shows from the 70's and prior.

A better analogy would be Gilligan's Island. Or Population 436. lol

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0462482/

You guys are weird. You imagine the worst and it's all in your head.

Publicduende, I already told you many fricking times: I DO NOT GO TO BUFFETS IN VEGAS! I buy groceries or eat in restaurants. How many times do I have to tell you that dummy dum dum?! Get this through your head:

I DO NOT GO TO BUFFETS IN VEGAS!

Why do we attract so many dumb people here in the forum?! GEEZ!!!!!!!!!!

Stop imagining false facts in your head and repeating them! It's so f***ing annoying!!! Why do you have to always do that?! Geez!!!!!!!!!!!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
Winston
Site Admin

Postby publicduende » Mon May 26, 2014 9:34 am

Winston wrote:Publicduende, I already told you many fricking times: I DO NOT GO TO BUFFETS IN VEGAS! I buy groceries or eat in restaurants. How many times do I have to tell you that dummy dum dum?! Get this through your head:

Why do we attract so many dumb people here in the forum?! GEEZ!!!!!!!!!!

Stop imagining false facts in your head and repeating them! It's so f***ing annoying!!! Why do you have to always do that?! Geez!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL sorry Winston, didn't want to touch a nerve there! :)

I remember you saying that you used to go to those buffets where the food was nice and very cheap. If you didn't want to only read the factual out of my words and S_Parc's, you would understand that we were using those facts as metaphors for your intellectual laziness, you losing your sense of discovery and being stuck in your comfort zone.

Nothing wrong with calling it a day, Winston. If happiness to many young people forced into loneliness and sexual abstinence means getting their egos groomed to perfection and getting laid by young, non-overweight ladies in the Philippines, then your "happier abroad" manifesto has resulted in more happy people than the PUA and MGTOW movements put together. And, what's more important, for free. You have our respect for that.

So, nothing wrong with retiring from being the spiritual leader of this movement. What shifts you away from the glowing memories and make you sound hypocritical and hollow is when you keep reiterating your laments about the decline of US society, women becoming more distant, spoiled and entitled every day, the US populace being held chained to cruel consumerist patterns without the dignity of a good job, etc. All this...while you keep staying in the US without doing much to give your life the turn to the better you advocate, and you probably deserve.

In a nutshell...you talked the talk and walked the walk. Now you're still talking while sitting on an armchair. Just quit the talk, or resume the walk. It's that simple.
publicduende
Veteran Poster

Postby S_Parc » Mon May 26, 2014 3:43 pm

publicduende wrote:LOL sorry Winston, didn't want to touch a nerve there! :)

I remember you saying that you used to go to those buffets where the food was nice and very cheap. If you didn't want to only read the factual out of my words and S_Parc's, you would understand that we were using those facts as metaphors for your intellectual laziness, you losing your sense of discovery and being stuck in your comfort zone.

Nothing wrong with calling it a day, Winston. If happiness to many young people forced into loneliness and sexual abstinence means getting their egos groomed to perfection and getting laid by young, non-overweight ladies in the Philippines, then your "happier abroad" manifesto has resulted in more happy people than the PUA and MGTOW movements put together. And, what's more important, for free. You have our respect for that.

So, nothing wrong with retiring from being the spiritual leader of this movement. What shifts you away from the glowing memories and make you sound hypocritical and hollow is when you keep reiterating your laments about the decline of US society, women becoming more distant, spoiled and entitled every day, the US populace being held chained to cruel consumerist patterns without the dignity of a good job, etc. All this...while you keep staying in the US without doing much to give your life the turn to the better you advocate, and you probably deserve.

In a nutshell...you talked the talk and walked the walk. Now you're still talking while sitting on an armchair. Just quit the talk, or resume the walk. It's that simple.

Yes, you did touch a nerve because buffets are associated with gluttony and the no-exercise types of ppl.

And also, I'd stated Nicholas Cage w/o the whiskey which is really a person, who'd lost site of his life's goals and is sloping downwards.

But sure, if one can blockade the world around 'em and only spend some time, like every business quarter, in Costa Rica, Philippines, or Thailand bo*nking h@es, then it's a decent enough compromise from completely going abroad for a relationship. I don't have a problem with that arrangement because in America, the alternative around here is a lot worse.

AB discussion thread

S_Parc
Veteran Poster

Postby Winston » Thu May 29, 2014 5:26 pm

publicduende,
I already told you all many times that I do not eat at buffets in Las Vegas. I've gone to them with my family and relatives, but no way do I go to them when I go out to eat by myself. I'm on a diet remember?

You must have misheard me or you are hearing what you want to hear only.

I did not say I was retiring as the leader of this movement. Again, you assume things falsely and jump to conclusions. If I did, why would I write so many articles and update this site so much?

You act like I have 100 percent control over my life. That's the fallacy you make. I told you many times, I am not here by plan. I did not plan to be here this long. It's a matter of circumstance. See the thread about the "invisible wall".

I explained this many times and I'm f***ing sick of repeating it over and over again. Everyone else already knows about it so why do you feign amnesia? What is your problem?

How many more times do I have to repeat the same thing over and over again?

We certainly have a bunch of dimwits and stupid people here. I was wrong that everyone here was a freethinking intellectual. We certainly have our share of idiots too. Why else would I have to repeat something thousands of times, and still there are people like you who act like they heard none of it? Unbelievable! :::::::::: shaking head ::::::::::::::

Winston
Site Admin

Postby Repatriate » Fri May 30, 2014 8:26 am

Winston wrote:publicduende,
I already told you all many times that I do not eat at buffets in Las Vegas. I've gone to them with my family and relatives, but no way do I go to them when I go out to eat by myself. I'm on a diet remember?

Winston haven't you been on a diet for years now? How come you look even chubbier than before. I think you should cut out carbs and sugars in your "diet" if you want it to work. I know you're a vegan or something so you really have to watch out for the sugars.
Repatriate
Veteran Poster

Postby publicduende » Sat May 31, 2014 10:20 am

Winston wrote:I did not say I was retiring as the leader of this movement. Again, you assume things falsely and jump to conclusions. If I did, why would I write so many articles and update this site so much?

Simple, Winston. Because most of what you are writing is either:

1) complaining this or that aspect of US society, which tends to be tired and sterile as everybody (even non-US people like me) agrees with it;
2) revelling in your old travel memories, girls you met and flirted with 10/15 years ago.

The most obvious answer the average reader asks themselves are, respectively:
1) why doesn't he get the heck out of Vegas/US if he loathes that life so much and is so deeply unhappy?
2) why doesn't he create more, fresh and new travel experiences, so he can feed on new memories and not stale ones?

Winston wrote:You act like I have 100 percent control over my life. That's the fallacy you make. I told you many times, I am not here by plan. I did not plan to be here this long. It's a matter of circumstance. See the thread about the "invisible wall".

And you think every man worth his salt will believe to this story? Invisible wall, right? What's that, Ronda Byrne's "The Secret" in reverse? You hate the Universe and the Universe responds by blocking you. You understand how immature, quasi-autistic this behaviour is?

You should meet people whose life cannot move by a centimetre because of real problems. Old family to take care of, daughters dying with cancer, mountains of debts, etc. What tragic or compelling reason do you have not to buy yourself a ticket to the Philippines, Lithuania or heaven knows where, and leave next week?

The prison you're creating for yourself is in your mind.

Yes dude, I know you explained this many many times. I can read and I have a little more memory than an 80s pocket calculator. I (and many like me) are still writing you this stuff because we don't understand why you keep blabbering about "psychic blockades", walls and cages when you have no family, social and physical constraints that stop you from flying away once more. It's just laziness pure and simple, and probably the fact that, like many armchair (sex) adventurers on here, you now feel contented enough to proclaim yourself entitled to the best in life while sitting comfy and doing nothing to prove you deserve it, let alone make it happen.

Winston wrote:We certainly have a bunch of dimwits and stupid people here. I was wrong that everyone here was a freethinking intellectual. We certainly have our share of idiots too. Why else would I have to repeat something thousands of times, and still there are people like you who act like they heard none of it? Unbelievable! :::::::::: shaking head ::::::::::::::

A "freethinking intellectual" is primarily somebody who thinks with his head and uses his experiences and intuition to draw conclusions. You are happy to expose your life events publicly, on this forums and your blogs, and that is all fine and dandy as it fills your need to be heard, understood and validated. You gave us the facts, so please let us "freethinking intellectuals" free to shape up our own opinions based on them.

You can tell us who you are, but you can't tell us what to think about you.
publicduende
Veteran Poster

Postby S_Parc » Sat May 31, 2014 3:37 pm

publicduende wrote:2) why doesn't he create more, fresh and new travel experiences, so he can feed on new memories and not stale ones?

[ snip ]

I (and many like me) are still writing you this stuff because we don't understand why you keep blabbering about "psychic blockades", walls and cages when you have no family, social and physical constraints that stop you from fying away once more. It's just laziness pure and simple, and probably the fact that, like many armchair (sex) adventurers on here, you now feel contented enough to proclaim yourself entitled to the best in life while sitting comfy and doing nothing to prove you deserve it, let alone make it happen.

[ snip ]

A "freethinking intellectual" is primarily somebody who thinks with his head and uses his experiences and intuition to draw conclusions. You are happy to expose your life events publicly, on this forums and your blogs, and that is all fine and dandy as it fills your need to be heard, understood and validated. You gave us the facts, so please let us "freethinking intellectuals" free to shape up our own opinions based on them.

Well, without getting nasty, here's my opinion on these points.

As a former armchair astrologist (yes, I'd given it up years ago), Win is a Pisces Sun. Aside from George Washington, very few Pisces can successfully navigate the labyrinth of emotions, inside and outside of themselves. Thus, on the average, a Pisces without a happy & supportive immediate family, will tend to degenerate by absorbing the emotions of the toxic ppl around them in society. They cannot create mental barriers from what they perceive as *not working*.

As for creating new experiences, I was most concerned when Win started writing about a Carson City stripper, as if she were a potential soulmate, a kindred spirit. Well, that's got me worried as US/Canadian strippers play that game, on anyone whom they could make a *regular*, esp in places with low vibrations like much of the Reno or Vegas metros. At least in Pattaya, there's a chance that one would want to make him a potential BF. But America is not Thailand and we all know that.

In conclusion, the longer Win stays in the US, attempting to amalgamize with his environment, the worse he'll become. And no, field trips to the Rockies, Grand Canyon, Sedona, etc, don't change the essence of a person. Many of us have traveled to national parks and retreats but we bring ourselves to those places. Unless one wants to be a total recluse in Death Valley, thus having no contact with the human race, I can't see how that makes a major impact on one's life.

AB discussion thread

S_Parc
Veteran Poster

Postby Winston » Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:16 am

publicduende,
You must have missed my thread of travel updates. I've been traveling the last few weeks and seeing spectacular nature and sites, and hiking a lot, and getting a lot of Vitamin D from the sun, which makes me feel healthy.

See the photos I posted here and below it:
http://www.happierabroad.com/forum/view ... 992#178992

So I've been getting out and doing stuff, not wasting time in Vegas working on the computer.

Winston
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions