Isn't America the greatest place for old people?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Moretorque »

davewe wrote:
Cornfed wrote:
davewe wrote:As to whether problems are harder today - overall I don't think they are. To a certain extent the problems are different but the struggles in life are the same. The human issues of life and death, love and family, war and peace have always existed and will always exist. Life is a struggle; it always has been and always will be.

Both generations look at each other through Rose colored glasses. The depression era oldster thinks young people have it better than he did - and in some ways he's right. The young person has complexities that they old guy can't understand - and in some ways he's right.
What in God's name are you talking about? Baby boomers could cross the road and get a job that would allow them to support a family, were essentially guaranteed a middle class lifestyle with a college degree, paid peanuts for most services and were essentially guaranteed exponentially rising house prices, all because they were happy to screw future generations. How can that possibly be compared to the situation of young men today?
My point was clearly that every generation has a tough time understanding every other generation. It works both ways. And employment is not the only problem in life. No sense in telling you the various employment problems I and my peers have had, since you wouldn't believe it. Crossing that road ain't as effortless as it seems. But again that wasn't my point.
There is no comparison in the way the after WW2 generation had it, this is complete and utter sh it in comparison.
Time to Hide!
Devil Dog
Freshman Poster

Post by Devil Dog »

Moretorque wrote:
davewe wrote:
Cornfed wrote:
davewe wrote:As to whether problems are harder today - overall I don't think they are. To a certain extent the problems are different but the struggles in life are the same. The human issues of life and death, love and family, war and peace have always existed and will always exist. Life is a struggle; it always has been and always will be.

Both generations look at each other through Rose colored glasses. The depression era oldster thinks young people have it better than he did - and in some ways he's right. The young person has complexities that they old guy can't understand - and in some ways he's right.
What in God's name are you talking about? Baby boomers could cross the road and get a job that would allow them to support a family, were essentially guaranteed a middle class lifestyle with a college degree, paid peanuts for most services and were essentially guaranteed exponentially rising house prices, all because they were happy to screw future generations. How can that possibly be compared to the situation of young men today?
My point was clearly that every generation has a tough time understanding every other generation. It works both ways. And employment is not the only problem in life. No sense in telling you the various employment problems I and my peers have had, since you wouldn't believe it. Crossing that road ain't as effortless as it seems. But again that wasn't my point.
There is no comparison in the way the after WW2 generation had it, this is complete and utter sh it in comparison.

So what? You play the hand that is dealt to you.

There are plenty of young men with great jobs and there are plenty of young men getting plenty of girls. So stop being a p***y and go out there and make something happen.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

davewe wrote:My point was clearly that every generation has a tough time understanding every other generation. It works both ways. And employment is not the only problem in life.
No there are also the other problems baby boomers have put upon future generations such as a crippling debt burden, females turned into hateful sluts, mass immigration of dysgenics allowed in in order to keep their Ponzi schemes going etc. What are the equivalent problems that baby boomers had?
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Devil Dog wrote:So what? You play the hand that is dealt to you.

There are plenty of young men with great jobs and there are plenty of young men getting plenty of girls. So stop being a p***y and go out there and make something happen.
"Plenty of" would imply a large aggregate percentage, when in fact such opportunities relatively scarce compared to the total population. I agree that we should be proactive in expanding the opportunities. In order to do this the first thing we need to do is cut the baby boomers loose and get rid of them. It stands to reason that if younger people are going to pay for the maintenance of their disease ridden bodies it will consume the entire economy plus change, destroying any chance of anyone getting ahead. Parasitical corporate whores like your daughter and associated pimps and whoremongers will have to be similarly dealt with. No doubt these positive steps will be taken in due course, but if you have any concrete suggestions as to how young men can more quickly take charge of their situation, pull themselves up buy their own bootstraps and rid themselves of the leeches holding them back, then it would be good if you could post them.
davewe
Experienced Poster

Post by davewe »

Cornfed wrote:
davewe wrote:My point was clearly that every generation has a tough time understanding every other generation. It works both ways. And employment is not the only problem in life.
No there are also the other problems baby boomers have put upon future generations such as a crippling debt burden, females turned into hateful sluts, mass immigration of dysgenics allowed in in order to keep their Ponzi schemes going etc. What are the equivalent problems that baby boomers had?
Every generation blames the previous ones, which is and has been my point. My generation blamed my parents generation for Vietnam, Watergate, racism (wait a minute - some of you still like that one). My parents blamed their parents for WW 2 and the Great Depression. Their parents blamed the previous generation for...well I'm not sure for what - the Civil War maybe :)

And guess what? The next generation will blame your generation for something, real or imagined. That is just part of human nature. And if people are open enough, they will also come to recognize the good things accomplished by previous generations - there are some good things.

People can be divided into those who see and seek commonality and those who only see the differences and failings between each other. The latter end up miserable, angry and in pain.
NorthAmericanguy
Veteran Poster

Post by NorthAmericanguy »

SilverEnergy wrote:I'm sure that many older people are in denial because they grew up in a different time period where people were more socially connected until the expansion of freeways and the popularity of television.

It's hard for many of them to understand why western men have such a hard time meeting women given the economic requirements that women have for men.

Many old men grew up in a time period, where a man could make much less than $30,000 and still be able to attract women.

Many old men were able to meet women effortlessly in their younger days and that's why they can't relate to younger men today.
Yea, I agree with you. Hell, even during the early 90's, 30k a year was good money. At the end of the day though, it's not so much how much you make, but how much your money is worth in terms of what you're able to buy with it. 30k 40 years ago could buy you a higher quality of life than it can today.

That said, some things today are much cheaper. For example, a new Samsung TV is a bargain for what you pay for it. So are video game systems as well as automobiles. What went up is the cost of education, healthcare and housing.
NorthAmericanguy
Veteran Poster

Post by NorthAmericanguy »

nicho12 wrote:
Temprano26 wrote:Neighbors? Hell, many of us don't even know our neighbors today.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

So true, I have been living in an Apartment complex for 4 years now and I don't know who my neighbor is, I don't even know if someone rents there or not
Kind of the same boat here.... During the 80's and 90's I grew up knowing all my neighbors, all the people in the corner shops, and even the mailman who sometimes as a kid I would have a cold glass of water waiting for him.

Now days it's just different, people don't want to be bothered, and people are not as open and friendly as they use to be.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

davewe wrote:Every generation blames the previous ones, which is and has been my point.
Aren't they obviously right in the case of the baby boomers, whether or not others are right in other cases? If I brutally bash and rape your daughter and then counter any complaint on her part by stating that everyone likes to blame their problems on someone else, does the fact that my statement might have a certain amount of validity in and of itself negate the merits of her complaint in her specific case?
And guess what? The next generation will blame your generation for something, real or imagined. That is just part of human nature.
Except there won't be a next generation to do the blaming unless we rectify the damage done by the baby boomers pretty quickly.
People can be divided into those who see and seek commonality and those who only see the differences and failings between each other. The latter end up miserable, angry and in pain.
Does this sentiment apply to other depraved criminals? Suppose you have a criminal who goes around beating the crap out of people and stealing their stuff. It goes without saying that such a criminal would be incalculably morally superior to the average baby boomer since he is honest and non-hypocritical about his crimes and is picking on current adults rather than children and the unborn. Even in this relatively mild case of scumbaggery, would it really be a good idea for the potential victims to seek commonality with the criminal ("We both like my stuff")? Might it not be a better idea to define the criminal as "the other" and, you know, defend themselves against him?
Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Moretorque »

NorthAmericanguy wrote:
nicho12 wrote:
Temprano26 wrote:Neighbors? Hell, many of us don't even know our neighbors today.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

So true, I have been living in an Apartment complex for 4 years now and I don't know who my neighbor is, I don't even know if someone rents there or not
Kind of the same boat here.... During the 80's and 90's I grew up knowing all my neighbors, all the people in the corner shops, and even the mailman who sometimes as a kid I would have a cold glass of water waiting for him.

Now days it's just different, people don't want to be bothered, and people are not as open and friendly as they use to be.
Welcome to communism, I was reading this women's post about living in a communist country and she said the tension in the air was so high no body communicated with one another under this authoritarian system and the society was so relieved when the government collapsed. I forget which country it was but it was a good read. She said communism is about being a drone for the rich bosses and do not be fooled with their propaganda.

It's all part of " Peace and Harmony " in building the perfect communal society.
Time to Hide!
Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Moretorque »

Cornfed wrote:
davewe wrote:Every generation blames the previous ones, which is and has been my point.
Aren't they obviously right in the case of the baby boomers, whether or not others are right in other cases? If I brutally bash and rape your daughter and then counter any complaint on her part by stating that everyone likes to blame their problems on someone else, does the fact that my statement might have a certain amount of validity in and of itself negate the merits of her complaint in her specific case?
And guess what? The next generation will blame your generation for something, real or imagined. That is just part of human nature.
Except there won't be a next generation to do the blaming unless we rectify the damage done by the baby boomers pretty quickly.
Does this sentiment apply to other depraved criminals? Suppose you have a criminal who goes around beating the crap out of people and stealing their stuff. It goes without saying that such a criminal would be incalculably morally superior to the average baby boomer since he is honest and non-hypocritical about his crimes and is picking on current adults rather than children and the unborn. Even in this relatively mild case of scumbaggery, would it really be a good idea for the potential victims to seek commonality with the criminal ("We both like my stuff")? Might it not be a better idea to define the criminal as "the other" and, you know, defend themselves against him?
I know Cornfed disagrees with me because I'm a nigger lover but anyway Cornfed I love you man!
Time to Hide!
Teal Lantern
Veteran Poster

Re: Isn't America the greatest place for old people?

Post by Teal Lantern »

Temprano26 wrote:You have probably heard an older person in his or her 60s to 80s say this is the greatest country in the world. Often they have little idea of the struggle that the young people of today face in terms of finding employment or finding a girlfriend. My grandmother lives on a pension because of the unions back at the time of my grandfather and now she opposes unions. They came from an America where people cared about other people and not everybody was spoiled, isolated and disconnected. I don't begrudge people their success but I get this attitude that "if it doesn't affect me directly, I don't care".

That is my issue with Americans in general - they only see themselves and nothing else in the world.
The oldsters have certainly had a good run, but they are nearing the end of the line.
The entitlement programs are in the red, and the younger generations aren't going to vote money out of their own pockets.
As they get into their 60s, insurance will not cover various surgeries for many things that ail them.
Unless they can pay the full cost, they will only be offered pills for symptoms/pain.

If the private company or municipality that grandma's pension check comes from goes bust, her check stops or gets severely reduced.
This is already underway in the public sector. http://www.pensiontsunami.com/

Add to the above -- fewer children and/or fractured families, and there are many seniors who don't have the safety net of family to fall back on.
не поглеждай назад. 8)

"Even an American judge is unlikely to award child support for imputed children." - FredOnEverything
Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Moretorque »

All they did was build a house of cards straight up because America was inventing, just go look how many patents we are issuing today as compared to the past not only that the patent office has been completely captured like the rest of the American GOV.

Obama care is about cutting this older crew off at the knees and getting rid of it from a medical standpoint and then making the next generations subservient to the state from cradle to grave at much diminished standards.
Time to Hide!