Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.

Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

Rank of Countries by English Proficiency

Discuss and talk about any general topic.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Rank of Countries by English Proficiency

Postby Winston » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:06 pm

Check out this link that Eurobrat sent me. It's a list of countries ranked by English proficiency. This is something to consider if you don't like having a language barrier in a foreign country. If so, you might want to try to go to the countries with higher English proficiency.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EF_English ... ency_Index
Check out the latest posts in our blog The Happier Abroaders.

Don't forget my HA Grand Ebook and Dating Sites!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
Winston
Site Admin

Postby Ghost » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:45 pm

The top spots are mostly Western or Northern European countries...don't think there's going to be much happier abroading going on there. Some of the rankings surprised me though.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby eurobrat » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:33 pm

Ghost wrote:The top spots are mostly Western or Northern European countries...don't think there's going to be much happier abroading going on there. Some of the rankings surprised me though.

Like which ones?
eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Postby Jester » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:26 pm

Top and bottom ranks unsurprising.

Middle ranks surprising.

Ukraine (with no US expats or Brit expats, and little trade with Britain) better than Thailand???

Argentina (with no US trade or tourism) better than Mexico?!

Hong Kong and India supposed to know some English, but down there with foreign, mysterious Indonesia and Vietnam??
"Pick a point and go to it."
-- Dr John Hunsucker, speaking about canoeing on Georgia's Lake Lanier, with its irregular shape, and 1000 miles of meandering shoreline
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Rank of Countries by English Proficiency

Postby Rock » Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:49 am

Winston wrote:Check out this link that Eurobrat sent me. It's a list of countries ranked by English proficiency. This is something to consider if you don't like having a language barrier in a foreign country. If so, you might want to try to go to the countries with higher English proficiency.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EF_English ... ency_Index

This list is pretty incomplete. It misses about all the HA hotspots where English proficiency is high. A few examples:

1. Philippines
2. Jamaica
3. Ghana
4. Kenya
5. South Africa
6. Nigeria
7. Liberia
8. Uganda
9. Malaysia
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby pandabear » Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:24 am

I think that they skipped some countries where English has official status.

Anyway,

The EF English Proficiency Index has been criticized for its lack of representative sampling in each country. The report states that participants in the tests are self-selected and must have access to the internet. This pushes the index towards the realm of an online survey rather than a statistically valid evaluation.
pandabear
Veteran Poster

Postby Ghost » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:19 am

eurobrat wrote:
Ghost wrote:The top spots are mostly Western or Northern European countries...don't think there's going to be much happier abroading going on there. Some of the rankings surprised me though.

Like which ones?

India and Hong Kong probably have better English than this survey suggests. Philippines wasn't even on there. It should be because Philippines is not a native English speaking country. People learn it in school, like a foreign language. They don't typically use English at home. English proficiency varies a LOT, especially outside of Manila. I expected Thailand to be higher. But perhaps that's because there's not a ton of TEFL outside of Bangkok.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Zionosis » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:58 pm

Ah Singapore is #12 which is pretty good.
They are very smart in Singapore and rather pale compared to surrounding Asians countries. Except the Chinese above them of course.

I would say that's the best option out of the list for me. Not to mention I live in Australia and it's a short travel to there.
http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/dam/assets/130312041550-singapore-airlines-singapore-girl-story-top.jpg

Going to Sweden, Norway, Netherlands, Estonia, Austria, Finland and poland don't seem that tempting considering the women might only be barely better at all there considering what I have seen. Feminism has spread to there and is strong in Europe.

Hungary might be alright since it's practically east europe. I am not so sure though. Singapore seems like the best option.
Zionosis
Freshman Poster

Return to General Discussions