What's up with all the fake skeptics in America?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
Mr.Darcy
Freshman Poster

What's up with all the fake skeptics in America?

Post by Mr.Darcy »

It's overwhelming! I was talking to this German guy on vacation about Obama. He understood why people voted for him at first, but he said Americans need to start thinking and questioning more. In addition, arguing with them is the worst. For example, lets say you are arguing on behalf that the government has control over the media outlets. They will not accept any source of evidence unless it is from a major news agency like BBC or CNN. Lawlz, so what are we supposed to do then? Furthermore, they criticize Russian media for being biased and criticize anybody that takes it as truth.
jtest28
Freshman Poster

Post by jtest28 »

Yeah, I noticed that too. People are, I guess, getting exactly what they have sewn. My only beef with that is so am I! I'm having to reap what they've sewn too!
HouseMD
Veteran Poster

Post by HouseMD »

The government doesn't own the media. corporations do. It's a big difference on the one hand, but it isn't on the other- corporations also own our politicians, so in a roundabout way, the media does serve politicians because it's bought and paid for be the same people that have bought and paid for "our" representatives. Every news source is rife with propaganda or bias of one sort or another, it's virtually impossible to report things in a truly unbiased manner nowadays. I just read a good mix of news from multiple countries and try to find the things that are consistent in every story to avoid bias as best as possible.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Do you mean fake skeptics like these?

James Randi / JREF
Michael Shermer
Rational Skeptics Society
CSICOP
Sam Harris
Penn & Teller
Etc.

They are pseudoskeptics, programmed to defend the establishment. The giveaway is that they always defend the establishment and believe whatever they say on faith, while only applying skepticism to those ahead of their time or who think outside the box or who are alternative and non-conformist.

They aren't real skeptics or truth seekers. They merely hijack that word to trick you into thinking they are real skeptics and critical thinkers.

I wrote about them here:
http://www.debunkingskeptics.com/characteristics.php
http://www.debunkingskeptics.com/hijackingterms.php
http://www.debunkingskeptics.com/selective.php
Last edited by Winston on July 22nd, 2014, 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
RickyRetardo
Freshman Poster

Post by RickyRetardo »

Winston wrote:Do you mean fake skeptics like these?

James Randi / JREF
Michael Shermer
CSICOP
Sam Harris
Penn & Teller
Etc.

They are pseudoskeptics, programmed to defend the establishment. The giveaway is that they always defend the establishment and believe whatever they say on faith, while only applying skepticism to those ahead of their time or who think outside the box or who are alternative and non-conformist.

They aren't real skeptics or truth seekers. They merely hijack that word to trick you into thinking they are real skeptics and critical thinkers.

I wrote about them here:
http://www.debunkingskeptics.com/characteristics.php
http://www.debunkingskeptics.com/hijackingterms.php
http://www.debunkingskeptics.com/selective.php
James Randi...

He and his fan club are insufferable. They are some of the least skeptical people I have ever seen. They don't support "critical thinking" or "skepticism"--they support blind adherence to the status quo, no matter what, contrary evidence be damned. If you try to bring up and defend a new perspective, using logic and facts, in a friendly way, they respond with tons of personal attacks, hatred, and logical fallacies.

It's honestly pathetic.
Let's get together and feel alright.
Zionosis
Freshman Poster

Re: What's up with all the fake skeptics in America?

Post by Zionosis »

Mr.Darcy wrote:It's overwhelming! I was talking to this German guy on vacation about Obama. He understood why people voted for him at first, but he said Americans need to start thinking and questioning more. In addition, arguing with them is the worst. For example, lets say you are arguing on behalf that the government has control over the media outlets. They will not accept any source of evidence unless it is from a major news agency like BBC or CNN. Lawlz, so what are we supposed to do then? Furthermore, they criticize Russian media for being biased and criticize anybody that takes it as truth.
Stupidity is the reason. If anyone blindly 100% believes something from just some man on TV telling them it and the only evidence is that he spoke the words from his mouth then they are complete idiots.

Anyone with a brain can slowly see a pattern when watching the news and stuff. It's obvious that there is bias and that it's controlled. It's also obvious that they seem to want to show us certain things and not others. Conditioning.

The reason is that the average American is pretty stupid and the Jews running the country are quite smart. Even when they get sloppy the general American public rarely catch on the anything.

Something that unintelligent people can't do is look at a big picture or relate to other things they know. This is why the media can so easily manipulate the vast majority.
The main problem in the USA is that your country isn't really run by your people anymore and your media isn't even run by your people.
Devil Dog
Freshman Poster

Post by Devil Dog »

Winston wrote:Do you mean fake skeptics like these?

James Randi / JREF
Michael Shermer
CSICOP
Sam Harris
Penn & Teller
Etc.

Winston, you are nothing but the flip side of the same coin. The reality is that there are some real conspiracies and there are plenty of made-up-bullshit theories. You weaken your credibility to oblivion by embracing and defending every single hare-brained conspiracy theory that you can find.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Devil Dog wrote: Winston, you are nothing but the flip side of the same coin. The reality is that there are some real conspiracies and there are plenty of made-up-bullshit theories. You weaken your credibility to oblivion by embracing and defending every single hare-brained conspiracy theory that you can find.
That's not true. I take the middle ground and follow the evidence. Some conspiracies are real and obvious from the evidence (JFK, 9/11, Moon Hoax, Roswell). But others are bullshit. I've called out the conspiracy movement on both. Some are too speculative to prove or disprove either way. Some are true but exaggerated.

However you assume that every bullshit conspiracy theory has zero evidence behind it. Not true. Some of them do have evidence, but it's not conclusive. A lot of guys are not neutral when it comes to evaluating evidence.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne