Rock and Winston interview each other for our 1st Podcast!

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
Winston
Site Admin

Rock and Winston interview each other for our 1st Podcast!

Post by Winston »

Hi all,
We just did our first podcast interview for HA! I interviewed Rock, one of the main advisers on HA and an experienced expat in Asia who has lived, worked, and dated abroad for many years. He is visiting me here in Las Vegas so we decided to do a podcast interview using the voice recorder in my smart phone, which produces a wav file that I then convert to mp3 and upload.

It went very well. For almost two hours, we discussed his experiences in Taiwan, Philippines, and Asia. We talked about questions and issues related to living, working and dating in Asia, and what a guy can expect there. We covered many general topics that a newbie would ask. Overall, the interview was very informative and inspiring. Rock gave a lot of useful, practical and realistic advice for the wannabe expat wishing to leave America for a better life abroad. I think you will all like it. Let me know how I did as an interviewer too.

Here is the link to listen to it:
http://www.happierabroad.com/podcasts/r ... erview.mp3

Let us know what you think. And how I did as an interviewer. Should we follow the same kind of format next time?

Next, I will have Rock interview me, so we can take turns interviewing each other. :)

Thanks for listening,
Winston and Rock
Last edited by Winston on August 7th, 2014, 3:14 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

Winston, I think this interview is way too long and not detailed or specific enough, full of time wasting fluff. I would prefer we re-did it with an outline of specific points and issues to address and keep it to well under an hour.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

I don't think it was too long or not specific enough. In the interview, I asked many specific questions that a newbie would be wondering. Anyone can listen to it and see. Also, two hours is a good length because it allows plenty of time to address questions and issues. The shows on Coast to Coast AM are usually about two hours long too. Actually they are longer with the commercials.

I wish we had a way for people to call in and ask questions. Maybe you guys can post questions here and we can do a Q&A audio to address them?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
newlifeinphilippines
Veteran Poster

Post by newlifeinphilippines »

great podcast.
jtest28
Freshman Poster

Post by jtest28 »

Gosh, thats a big file. You would think it was a video file. Your bit rate is set too high man. I would rip a copy using VBR (variable bit rate) because it produces the best sound per KB. And set the quality to moderate. This would make it sound identical to a high quality constant bit rate and be much smaller in file size.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

Winston wrote:I don't think it was too long or not specific enough. In the interview, I asked many specific questions that a newbie would be wondering. Anyone can listen to it and see. Also, two hours is a good length because it allows plenty of time to address questions and issues. The shows on Coast to Coast AM are usually about two hours long too. Actually they are longer with the commercials.

I wish we had a way for people to call in and ask questions. Maybe you guys can post questions here and we can do a Q&A audio to address them?
I agree with Winston: I thought it was full of very useful information, so I wouldn't re-edit it. Just put the starting times for different topics you talk about. For example: (I'm just making this list up; this is NOT based on the interview you did with Rock:)

5:00 downfalls of American society

15:20 Life in Taiwan

22:30 Finding the right country for you...
Array9
Freshman Poster

Post by Array9 »

I listened to the first 50 minutes so far while I was at work today. I enjoyed the interview and I felt that Rock's views were very valuable. Thanks.
Men chase, women choose

As long as you have gold in your hand, you will ALWAYS have bread on your table.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

jtest28 wrote:Gosh, thats a big file. You would think it was a video file. Your bit rate is set too high man. I would rip a copy using VBR (variable bit rate) because it produces the best sound per KB. And set the quality to moderate. This would make it sound identical to a high quality constant bit rate and be much smaller in file size.
How do you use variable bit rate? The original file was nearly 700mb because I set the voice recorder to CD quality. Then I used Format Factory to convert it. I set the conversion to medium quality and increased the volume because it was a little low. For a 2 hour interview, I think 100mb is reasonable. But I can try to get it smaller if you tell me how.

Btw, if you want to download the podcast, you can push Control - S to save as an offline mp3 file. Or you can right click on the mp3 link and select "Save As".

If you are on Google Chrome, the audio file should stream directly from the browser without having to download it.

This afternoon, we did a second podcast where Rock interviewed me. I will post the link to it as soon as it is converted and uploaded.

Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Taco »

Thanks for sharing the interview with us I thought it went well.

I also get irritated when forum members complain about the lack of dating opportunities in the Philippines. If you can't find a girl you like in Cebu there's something seriously wrong with you. The mongers are always trying to find the perfect girl and once they do they leave them immediately after pollination occurs.

There are a few English teaching opportunities in the Philippines but the work is usually seasonal. The Japanese schools are the best followed by the Korean schools. Expect to make about $500 a month. Online English teaching used to be a viable career option it no longer is. Too many online schools competing for a shrinking supply of students. Just remember, online Filipino English teachers work for $2/hour. Also, most English schools in Asia have horrible management.
starchild5
Veteran Poster

Post by starchild5 »

It was a great Podcast. It covered all topics imaginable for guys who wants to explore and live happier abroad.

For folks, who are out of box thinkers and wants to go further. I feel 2 hours was short. I could have listened to it for like 5 hours. It had so many interesting topics. Time should not be a limit for people who really wants to know. Best 2 hours than some crappy Hollywood comic super hero movies while this Podcast gives you direction to feel and be like a super hero in all practical purpose in life :)

I have met Rock in The Philippines but due to my work could not get enough time to know his knowledge. Man, I'm blown away with the knowledge he has. Its incredible. He is right to the T on everything.

Winston was a perfect host in asking the right question. I get frustrated by hosts sometimes as they never ask the Right Questions. Winston got the best out of Rock. Even when I met Rock. I just did not had the right question to know his knowledge.

Being from India. I can attest to what Rock said. India is far more poorer than Philippines. Recent report from UN said. India has the highest number of poor people in the world.

India Is Home to More Poor People Than Anywhere Else on Earth

http://time.com/2999550/india-home-to-most-poor-people/

It is more poor than even Africa.

However, try to get laid on your dollar or green card and see how far you go. No amount of PUA skills, green card, good looks, money can get laid you here.

Getting laid in Philippines has nothing to do with poverty.

Even though my experience in Philippines due to other issues were not good but for women. It was perfect. Philippines is the only country on earth I feel, which has got atleast one thing perfectly right.

You cannot promise a guy if he goes to America that he will get a job, after few months become a millionaire and live an American dream or go to Europe and if he struggle enough find a women and job or go to India and find Nirvana and spiritual enlightenment etc etc Nothing is guaranteed.

However, Philippines guarantees women. Forget the ratings and age etc...like Job in America or Nirvana in India or women in europe etc. I could be considered as the lowest common denominator from India as I have not much to give and I had absolutely fantastic time with women here. Its just on a different level.

It feels like crossing into another dimension when you meet women here. Its just is not like anywhere else.

Both Winston and Rock have traveled across the globe with their most pressing issues in hand while living in America on finding women and social life etc. I mean out of 200+ countries who would have thought Philippines would be it. While growing up in India, I never thought Philippines...I thought all answers to life issues rests with the west or china or japan or even India...countries who shine in Olympics etc..all main stream countries.

Even to mention a tiny island like Philippines which was not much even on tourism is incredible. Who would have thought it would be Philippines. :)

We can debate on quality of women, scammers, looks etc etc later. Just the BASICs of getting a women....Just to relate to Elliot Rodger point which was brought up in the Podcast. He never touched a women, hold hands, kissed.....These are just basic things...He would have cleaned Philippines with the money, age and looks he had.

On an Elliot Rodger level of frustration with women. Philippines is the hope.

No country has it all and one size does not fit all as was mentioned in the podcast. One has to do research, listen to the podcast, get points on what relates to them and take it from there.

I hope this gets uploaded into youtube and I could subscribe it and listened to new podcasts every week :)
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Hi folks,
Rock and I did another podcast today. This time it was his turn to interview me and play host. It went for over an hour. He did very well and I was very impressed. Rock was very skillful and didn't just ask questions, but made a lot of good comments as well. He was like a counselor, not just an interviewer. I think he would do well as a counselor and also as a podcast host. Listen to this podcast and you will see what I mean.

Here is the link to our second podcast, with Rock interviewing Winston.

http://www.happierabroad.com/podcasts/r ... inston.mp3

Let us know what you think.

Mr S
Veteran Poster

Post by Mr S »

Constructive criticism on first podcast:

Since I do interviewing for a living practically I'll just comment on some things that could be improved.

The info is okay but it's a bit too scattered about and not focused and some of it is repeated at times. I think instead of a long 2 hrs it's best to truncate these kinds of interviews to 30-45 min segments and focus on specific topics and issues with already made up lead in questions that can be expanded upon during the discussion.

Winston, if you're going to be an interviewer you need to pick up the persona and be more energetic communicating also need to minimize or eliminate the stammering on words and uh's and um's which can be distracting. I understand it's difficult to think on ones feet if they are not used to it but that's also why its good to have list of preconceived questioning to help align the conversation as it goes along and bring back any drifting that may occur during the interview.

The sound quality is off where Winston is really loud and then Rock is in the background softer so it's annoying having to turn the volume up and down all the time. You each should have a microphone to speak into that will make both your audio match the same. IF you can't do that you need to place the mic even distance from each other and talk at similar decimal levels.

Try not to go in circular discussions where you mention the same thing or similar over the conversation, things should not be repeated or keep them minimal as possible.

You might want to try a round table discussion in the future with multiple people discussing particular topics, that might be interesting.

I haven't listened to the second podcast yet so can't comment on it yet.

Otherwise it's okay for a first time go at it, but it could be better.
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor and stoic philosopher, 121-180 A.D.
starchild5
Veteran Poster

Post by starchild5 »

Just listened to the second podcast. I didn't know you guys had such a rough childhood. You guys have written it but when you speak about it...I felt it more.

Please keep it as natural as the way you are. You guys have fought all your life for it. Don't try to be something that you are not. I wish you guys don't go too professional like George Noory or Anderson Cooper'ish....

uhhh and umm's, stutter and stammering is the way it is as mentioned by Mr. s...Its Natural...Let the Improvements come naturally. Do not try to force yourself to be better. The people who are authentic, natural will feel more connected to you for simple unintended errors you would do.

The errors shows your past, so that we could all connect with it.

You guys are very talented. You guys are the real deals. If I wanted perfection. I would listen to CNN and FOX fakes...What I want is authenticity even if it means, it compromises on certain qualities that the world projects, we are way past that stage already. Its the content that matters.

Just look at what happened to David Icke TV station and his Podcasts with close to million dollar budget. He hired all former journalists and best speakers out there and it failed miserably.

One can hire a professional Sound Recorder and get it done perfectly or attend classes etc etc...What good would it do for the content. The quality would improve. The main focus should be on content.

My brother and his friends, wants to travel to The Philippines, but my words don't mean much as they value what born and brought up Americans have to say about The Philippines, for them America is it in their minds. They are more CNN, FOX main stream. They have never heard guys like you.

I already sent them the podcasts.
ryanx
Freshman Poster

Post by ryanx »

Excellent first podcast. I can confirm a lot of what Rock says from my own direct experiences. The only funny part was the last minute where Winston is dithering and is not sure how to sign off.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Mr S wrote:Constructive criticism on first podcast:

Since I do interviewing for a living practically I'll just comment on some things that could be improved.

The info is okay but it's a bit too scattered about and not focused and some of it is repeated at times. I think instead of a long 2 hrs it's best to truncate these kinds of interviews to 30-45 min segments and focus on specific topics and issues with already made up lead in questions that can be expanded upon during the discussion.

Winston, if you're going to be an interviewer you need to pick up the persona and be more energetic communicating also need to minimize or eliminate the stammering on words and uh's and um's which can be distracting. I understand it's difficult to think on ones feet if they are not used to it but that's also why its good to have list of preconceived questioning to help align the conversation as it goes along and bring back any drifting that may occur during the interview.

The sound quality is off where Winston is really loud and then Rock is in the background softer so it's annoying having to turn the volume up and down all the time. You each should have a microphone to speak into that will make both your audio match the same. IF you can't do that you need to place the mic even distance from each other and talk at similar decimal levels.

Try not to go in circular discussions where you mention the same thing or similar over the conversation, things should not be repeated or keep them minimal as possible.

You might want to try a round table discussion in the future with multiple people discussing particular topics, that might be interesting.

I haven't listened to the second podcast yet so can't comment on it yet.

Otherwise it's okay for a first time go at it, but it could be better.
Thanks Mr S.
But you aren't making sense on a lot of points.

First, you forgot to notice that my stuttering was a lot LESS in these recent podcasts. I did stutter a lot before. But there is a big improvement in that area now. Anyone who listens to my podcasts in the past will notice the difference. You failed to for some reason. Even Rock, who is very critical, noticed the big improvement. I stutter much less now. Are you sure you heard our interview? It sounds like you are referring to my interviews years ago.

Deep thinkers and introverts cannot speak as fast as they think or write. So it sometimes comes out as stammering. Deep thinkers also overthink things, which slows down our speech as well.

Second, I don't see how you could say that the interview is scattered and not focused. ALL my questions were VERY relevant and ON TOPIC. How did we jump around? That doesn't make sense. All interviews do the same.

Third, why should I have a more energetic voice? This is a serious authentic discussion, not an entertainment show. Your voice is not energetic either. Your voice is solemn and serious and with no bull. Why would you cite that as a flaw? Content is king here. I would like to see you try to do better. How about we interview you?

Fourth, the interviews you do are for students taking an English exam. That is totally different than a radio show or podcast show. Come on now.

The discussion was not circular at all. The same questions were repeated maybe once or twice, but not much.

You have a point about the sound though. The smart phone was closer to me, and Rock didn't speak up. But he did speak louder in the second interview though. And in the second interview, the phone was placed the same distance between us.

Yes a round table discussion would be great. Maybe we could have Rock, Ladislav, Jester and Mr S. But too many people talking could get too confusing though, as the listeners would not know who is who. lol

Maybe three people at the most.

Would you be interested in doing one over Skype? We just have to find a way to record Skype conversations. I could use my smart phone for that of course, but the sound may be inconsistent. I'd just have to hold it close to the computer speaker.