My Online Bride - Channel 4 (UK)

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
Johnny1975
Experienced Poster

My Online Bride - Channel 4 (UK)

Post by Johnny1975 »

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

walrusface
Freshman Poster

Post by walrusface »

I just watched it. Typically there's a load of angry feminists moaning about it on Twitter. See it's been uploaded to youtube as well but says it says it's 'not available in your country'. Here's the link in case in works for someone else:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NS41fNYZ6UU
Politically incorrect comics at www.minds.com/SlapdashComix
aozora13
Freshman Poster

Post by aozora13 »

It definitely seems like an interesting series from a British point of view. Even being an American, it is interesting to see that men from 'Anglo' nations are getting tired of dating local women and looking to do something with their lives. Although that is rough that the Welsh guy has basically $3500 USD to $3600 USD in most of his savings. Still it is good at 26 to realize that it is better than dating locally. I did that at 25 though not exactly marriage just meeting women to dating to marriage.

It is just too annoying to date locally in Anglo nations. Hopefully this is a decent series.
Feldeinsamkeit
Freshman Poster

My Online Bride - Channel 4

Post by Feldeinsamkeit »

I also watched this programme, ironically on the same day that I finally got around to registering on HA. I'd like to offer my two-penneth worth:

(1) The way that the narrator in the programme referred to the women in foreign countries as "mail order brides", thus reinforcing a prejudicial stereotype prevalent in the UK that the women are nothing but gold-digging harlots out to scam lonely and gullible Western men (unlike Anglo-American women, who are the paragons of non-materialistic virtue, of course).

(2) No mention was made of British women and their role in an increasing tendency of UK men to look overseas for love. Why this silence? It's the taboo that Winston constantly refers to and he's surely right in this, the taboo being, of course, that women have become increasingly unappealing - not to mention downright unpleasant - to men in the Anglosphere in the last 20 years and men are starting to vote with their feet in large numbers. But who in the mainstream media is going to tell us that the emperor is wearing no clothes (not to mention is obese)? I'm not holding my breath, that's for sure.
walrusface
Freshman Poster

Post by walrusface »

I haven't been on here for a while but when I saw it I instantly thought of this site. I also agree that the way it was narrated as being 'mail order brides' can totally influence people's views on it. If you look at reactions online from it you see people are automatically condeming the men on it as ugly desperate losers preying on poor women. This is one review of some moralistic journalist who got his frilly knickers in a twist about it
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvan ... sting.html
Politically incorrect comics at www.minds.com/SlapdashComix
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

I saw it the other night. I was aware of it as the producers were trawling my dating site a year ago looking for dudes who wanted to take part.

I'd say they played it a bit safe by focusing only on men going to Ukraine and Thailand. Whereas these days guys go everywhere, particularly to China and the Philippines.

The Ukrainian ladies were much like the Chinese ladies I met in China - attractive, smart and often more alpha than their future husbands. As much as anything, they're looking for mail order husbands.

Thailand, well one of the guys going there met a lady whose sister wanted his money - that exact same thing happened to me in Thailand!

I was generally impressed with the quality of the ladies featured in the show. And the general feedback in the UK has been that this has definitely got more guys interested in seeking brides from overseas.

Still, not a bad show and definitely required viewing for any of you lurkers who are thinking about finding a foreign bride, but haven't yet met any ladies in another country.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.