Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.

Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

-----

Discuss and talk about any general topic.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

-----

Postby Ghost » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:20 pm

-----
Last edited by Ghost on Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby MrMan » Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:03 am

Culture shock happens over a long period of time. For the first couple of months, a foreign country is cool. Then, you feel stressed out and want to move, and emotions level off at about 6 months as you accept your surroundings. I experienced that in Korea. But since then, culture shock has been mild or scarcely noticeable at all for me. I didn't feel it in Indonesia. I didn't go through the same emotions in the US either. I think you get used to it once you experience it a few times. I also feel like I built up just a bit of a resistance to jet lag, but that could come naturally with aging.
MrMan
Experienced Poster

Postby zboy1 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:52 am

Wow! I'm the exact opposite: coming back to the USA, has made me quite depressed and unhappy; I think, one reason why Ghost hasn't suffered as much, is because he's White--and the USA is a White-dominant culture; whereas I'm a minority in the US of Gay.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby newlifeinphilippines » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:02 am

zboy1 wrote:Wow! I'm the exact opposite: coming back to the USA, has made me quite depressed and unhappy; I think, one reason why Ghost hasn't suffered as much, is because he's White--and the USA is a White-dominant culture; whereas I'm a minority in the US of Gay.

im white and feel depressed now that im back in america. but its because i have companionship abroad but lonely back home. America is way nicer to live but its quite socially isolating so its conflicting.
newlifeinphilippines
Veteran Poster

Postby S_Parc » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:09 am

newlifeinphilippines wrote:
zboy1 wrote:Wow! I'm the exact opposite: coming back to the USA, has made me quite depressed and unhappy; I think, one reason why Ghost hasn't suffered as much, is because he's White--and the USA is a White-dominant culture; whereas I'm a minority in the US of Gay.

im white and feel depressed now that im back in america. but its because i have companionship abroad but lonely back home. America is way nicer to live but its quite socially isolating so its conflicting.

IMO, the adjustment to the US, racial differences aside, is that it's place of daily habits. If one doesn't have that sort of set routine, a lot of other factors can kick in.

When I was working in Brazil, coming home meant a bit of social isolation (despite my friends in the area) and that lack of group camaraderie which was prevalent in Rio.
16 years ago, the Best Picture of 1999, "American Beauty", telegraphed the message of Happier Abroad to the world.

Beware of long term engagements with AWs, you may find yourself in a coffin.

AB discussion thread

BTW, despite settling down with an AW, myself, the warning is still in effect.
S_Parc
Veteran Poster

Return to General Discussions