Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Monday nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE AFA Seminar! See locations and dates here.



View Active Topics       View Your Posts       Latest 100 Topics       FAQ Topics       Mobile Friendly Theme


Eurobrat and Winston's interview

Discuss and talk about any general topic.

Moderators: fschmidt, jamesbond

Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 7875
Joined: January 20th, 2009, 10:10 am
Location: Chiang Mai Thailand

Post by Jester » September 5th, 2014, 1:27 am

Heard the cast last night, Euro is crisp and clear. Actually he would make a good interviewer.
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."

eurobrat
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2338
Joined: August 25th, 2011, 10:18 am

Post by eurobrat » September 5th, 2014, 4:56 am

Jester wrote:Heard the cast last night, Euro is crisp and clear. Actually he would make a good interviewer.
Better than Winstion and ask the same question over and over? :lol:

Also I was tired in this thing, it was 2am when we started and 4am when we finished :shock:

OutWest
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2253
Joined: March 19th, 2011, 8:09 am
Location: Asia/USA

Post by OutWest » September 5th, 2014, 5:07 am

gsjackson wrote:My experience is that finding out where you don't belong and what you don't like is just as good as finding what you are looking for. I mean, I despise Thailand with the heat of a thousand suns, but Thailand has given me a tremendous gift -- a much, much greater appreciation of where I live, which is almost the precise opposite of Thailand in every way. I had been getting there anyway traveling around Europe, but Thailand has sealed the deal, and I will always look back fondly on Thailand for that (I think). So the circle is closed in that sense.

Obviously, the famous T.S. Eliot line comes to mind -- we shall not cease from exploring, and at the end of our explorations we will arrive at home, and know it for the first time (something like that). But let me make clear what I am and am not saying.

This is not a repudiation of any of the cultural critique of the U.S. that takes place here, and not an endorsement of any particular place in the United States in 2014. It is an embrace of the life I was given by my parents and by American culture decades ago, too long ago for any but a handful on here to have any idea what I'm talking about.

I'm going to try to find the place where it is easiest to live the values of that inheritance. I know this is terribly unclear, and doesn't constitute an actionable perspective. If anything, I guess it would be this: figure out who you are, what you value, and chart your own course to get there. People on forums like this may be in the same big boat heading away from cultural configurations that aren't working, but they aren't necessarily bound for the same destinations you are. You've got to figure out the destination for yourself.
Simply put, your post here captures the yearning of many an expat heart and touches on the topic in
bold that unfortunately is almost unknown here. However, I do know exactly of what you speak.
It is one of the most epiphanous comments I have ever read on this forum.

gsjackson
Experienced Poster
Posts: 1933
Joined: June 12th, 2010, 3:08 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA USA
Contact:

Post by gsjackson » September 5th, 2014, 6:16 am

OutWest wrote:
gsjackson wrote:My experience is that finding out where you don't belong and what you don't like is just as good as finding what you are looking for. I mean, I despise Thailand with the heat of a thousand suns, but Thailand has given me a tremendous gift -- a much, much greater appreciation of where I live, which is almost the precise opposite of Thailand in every way. I had been getting there anyway traveling around Europe, but Thailand has sealed the deal, and I will always look back fondly on Thailand for that (I think). So the circle is closed in that sense.

Obviously, the famous T.S. Eliot line comes to mind -- we shall not cease from exploring, and at the end of our explorations we will arrive at home, and know it for the first time (something like that). But let me make clear what I am and am not saying.

This is not a repudiation of any of the cultural critique of the U.S. that takes place here, and not an endorsement of any particular place in the United States in 2014. It is an embrace of the life I was given by my parents and by American culture decades ago, too long ago for any but a handful on here to have any idea what I'm talking about.

I'm going to try to find the place where it is easiest to live the values of that inheritance. I know this is terribly unclear, and doesn't constitute an actionable perspective. If anything, I guess it would be this: figure out who you are, what you value, and chart your own course to get there. People on forums like this may be in the same big boat heading away from cultural configurations that aren't working, but they aren't necessarily bound for the same destinations you are. You've got to figure out the destination for yourself.
Simply put, your post here captures the yearning of many an expat heart and touches on the topic in
bold that unfortunately is almost unknown here. However, I do know exactly of what you speak.
It is one of the most epiphanous comments I have ever read on this forum.
Yeah, I could sort of hear the truth bells ringing (for me, anyway) when I thought it and wrote it. Usually one hits all around the main point, but never quite gets on it. There's no question that the main driving narrative of my life has always been paradise lost -- finding the way back home. Maybe it is for most here.

Certainly the concept is present in all but the most depraved hearts, as it's one of the abiding themes of literature. But there are just a few of us on this forum who have a tangible memory of a United States that was sort of a paradise lost. The country I grew up in, for all its faults and all the already introduced cultural pathogens that have resulted in the pathologies we dissect here, was a beautiful place. A place where more people surely would be happier abroad going to than coming from.

eurobrat
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2338
Joined: August 25th, 2011, 10:18 am

Post by eurobrat » September 5th, 2014, 11:57 am

gsjackson wrote:
OutWest wrote:
gsjackson wrote:My experience is that finding out where you don't belong and what you don't like is just as good as finding what you are looking for. I mean, I despise Thailand with the heat of a thousand suns, but Thailand has given me a tremendous gift -- a much, much greater appreciation of where I live, which is almost the precise opposite of Thailand in every way. I had been getting there anyway traveling around Europe, but Thailand has sealed the deal, and I will always look back fondly on Thailand for that (I think). So the circle is closed in that sense.

Obviously, the famous T.S. Eliot line comes to mind -- we shall not cease from exploring, and at the end of our explorations we will arrive at home, and know it for the first time (something like that). But let me make clear what I am and am not saying.

This is not a repudiation of any of the cultural critique of the U.S. that takes place here, and not an endorsement of any particular place in the United States in 2014. It is an embrace of the life I was given by my parents and by American culture decades ago, too long ago for any but a handful on here to have any idea what I'm talking about.

I'm going to try to find the place where it is easiest to live the values of that inheritance. I know this is terribly unclear, and doesn't constitute an actionable perspective. If anything, I guess it would be this: figure out who you are, what you value, and chart your own course to get there. People on forums like this may be in the same big boat heading away from cultural configurations that aren't working, but they aren't necessarily bound for the same destinations you are. You've got to figure out the destination for yourself.
Simply put, your post here captures the yearning of many an expat heart and touches on the topic in
bold that unfortunately is almost unknown here. However, I do know exactly of what you speak.
It is one of the most epiphanous comments I have ever read on this forum.
Yeah, I could sort of hear the truth bells ringing (for me, anyway) when I thought it and wrote it. Usually one hits all around the main point, but never quite gets on it. There's no question that the main driving narrative of my life has always been paradise lost -- finding the way back home. Maybe it is for most here.

Certainly the concept is present in all but the most depraved hearts, as it's one of the abiding themes of literature. But there are just a few of us on this forum who have a tangible memory of a United States that was sort of a paradise lost. The country I grew up in, for all its faults and all the already introduced cultural pathogens that have resulted in the pathologies we dissect here, was a beautiful place. A place where more people surely would be happier abroad going to than coming from.
I briefly remember it growing up in the 80's in southern California, parents both had good jobs and money was much easier back then. I might have grown up too middle class white southern Californian where my former years have stuck with me as a solid definition of middle class and living standards. On the flip side it has encouraged me to keep working hard, developing myself and looking for that "paradise lost" we had in the US at a certain time that has now gone the wayside.

The "paradise lost" wasn't only economical but also socio, a time when families were happily married and divorce rates were low and everyone in the country seemed happier.

TheLegendSeeker
Freshman Poster
Posts: 103
Joined: January 10th, 2014, 12:18 am
Location: UAE
Contact:

Nothing new here.

Post by TheLegendSeeker » September 5th, 2014, 1:06 pm

Coming from someone who's been living abroad since 2010 and has met many foreign people. I'd say that I'm not surprised by the interview.
I've been to travel resorts where I saw that people would stick to their group or other compatriots, especially women of course, The same applies to university campus where exchange students would only stick to their compatriots. I'd hardly ever see an exchange student hanging out with locals.
My personal experience with french people both men and women was OK, but German women were the worse people I ever met, they were cold as ice, hostile, apathetic just terrible overall in contrast German men were nice, we could talk about anything without me worrying about stepping on eggshells. My point is: foreign women my not be exactly as this site portrays them, I think they changed thanks to Americanization.

eurobrat
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2338
Joined: August 25th, 2011, 10:18 am

Post by eurobrat » September 5th, 2014, 1:44 pm

Jester wrote:Heard the cast last night, Euro is crisp and clear. Actually he would make a good interviewer.
I never thought of myself as the personality type in front of the camera or microphone. I always more interested in what went on behind the scenes of the show.

Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 4225
Joined: April 21st, 2010, 5:16 pm

Post by Rock » September 14th, 2014, 2:23 pm

I'm finally listening to this interview. Pathbreaking stuff! Excellent job Eurobrat. You should write a lot more about Europe on the forum. You come across as having great big picture knowledge of Europe and first hand detailed information of Italy and now Berlin. Please write more regularly on Europe and your travels on HA.

We need a lot more of this type of stuff on HA. IMO best podcast from Winston I've heard so far.

eurobrat
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2338
Joined: August 25th, 2011, 10:18 am

Post by eurobrat » September 14th, 2014, 2:58 pm

Rock wrote:I'm finally listening to this interview. Pathbreaking stuff! Excellent job Eurobrat. You should write a lot more about Europe on the forum. You come across as having great big picture knowledge of Europe and first hand detailed information of Italy and now Berlin. Please write more regularly on Europe and your travels on HA.

We need a lot more of this type of stuff on HA. IMO best podcast from Winston I've heard so far.
Really because it was 2am in the morning when I did it. If winston didn't have such a weird schedule I would have been more peppy. I'm writing up my Berlin report which I'm nominating it "The best city in western Europe".

Although last night I went out to a famous bier garten here and was disappointed not many people were out. It closes in one week for the Winter. Looks like I missed the good times because all the pictures of the summer the place looked pack.

gsjackson
Experienced Poster
Posts: 1933
Joined: June 12th, 2010, 3:08 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA USA
Contact:

Post by gsjackson » September 14th, 2014, 3:23 pm

eurobrat wrote: Although last night I went out to a famous bier garten here and was disappointed not many people were out. It closes in one week for the Winter. Looks like I missed the good times because all the pictures of the summer the place looked pack.
A beer garden in Germany closes in the middle of Ocktoberfest??

User avatar
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 3047
Joined: November 30th, 2011, 6:20 pm

Post by publicduende » September 14th, 2014, 3:54 pm

eurobrat wrote:Although last night I went out to a famous bier garten here and was disappointed not many people were out. It closes in one week for the Winter. Looks like I missed the good times because all the pictures of the summer the place looked pack.
"The best city in your mind's Western Europe"... Sure...

eurobrat
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2338
Joined: August 25th, 2011, 10:18 am

Post by eurobrat » September 14th, 2014, 3:55 pm

gsjackson wrote:
eurobrat wrote: Although last night I went out to a famous bier garten here and was disappointed not many people were out. It closes in one week for the Winter. Looks like I missed the good times because all the pictures of the summer the place looked pack.
A beer garden in Germany closes in the middle of Ocktoberfest??
Yep the outside area closes, and it's not even cold yet. Summer is still lingering, looks like I might have a good autumn. Fridays seem more hopping than Saturdays, I'm not a fan of going out on Friday nights though.

Here's what I thought it would be like:

Image


Here's what it actually was like:

Image

eurobrat
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2338
Joined: August 25th, 2011, 10:18 am

Post by eurobrat » September 14th, 2014, 4:02 pm

publicduende wrote:
eurobrat wrote:Although last night I went out to a famous bier garten here and was disappointed not many people were out. It closes in one week for the Winter. Looks like I missed the good times because all the pictures of the summer the place looked pack.
"The best city in your mind's Western Europe"... Sure...
Yes it is better. Which city even compares for the value you get here, nightlife, cheap prices and German quality goods and housing? If you can't answer that question then go droll somewhere else.

Better than sitting in some musty old english pub next to some 135kg slapper, drinking crappy british beer at £5.00 a pint and chomping on soggy caloric fat laden soggy fish and chips w/vinegar with mushy pea's like you enjoy doing.

User avatar
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 3047
Joined: November 30th, 2011, 6:20 pm

Post by publicduende » September 14th, 2014, 4:49 pm

eurobrat wrote:
publicduende wrote:
eurobrat wrote:Although last night I went out to a famous bier garten here and was disappointed not many people were out. It closes in one week for the Winter. Looks like I missed the good times because all the pictures of the summer the place looked pack.
"The best city in your mind's Western Europe"... Sure...
Yes it is better. Which city even compares for the value you get here, nightlife, cheap prices and German quality goods and housing? If you can't answer that question then go droll somewhere else.

Better than sitting in some musty old english pub next to some 135kg slapper, drinking crappy british beer at £5.00 a pint and chomping on soggy caloric fat laden soggy fish and chips w/vinegar with mushy pea's like you enjoy doing.
It's a cold city with little or no quality jobs and post-WW2 realsocialist architecture (of course there are more modern buildings, but you'll never live there). The only thing you have going is that you're in the same boat as a million other low-paid, part-time working, Bohemienne types which might (or might not) connect to you at some point. Dozens of European cities of that size can give you that experience, so you're not discovering anything new there.

You have strange stereotypes of night life in London. You used to say it was great, but now you somehow associate it with me, it's automagically become crappy LOL Talk to me about your levels of objectivity...

eurobrat
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2338
Joined: August 25th, 2011, 10:18 am

Post by eurobrat » September 14th, 2014, 5:44 pm

publicduende wrote:
eurobrat wrote:
publicduende wrote:
eurobrat wrote:Although last night I went out to a famous bier garten here and was disappointed not many people were out. It closes in one week for the Winter. Looks like I missed the good times because all the pictures of the summer the place looked pack.
"The best city in your mind's Western Europe"... Sure...
Yes it is better. Which city even compares for the value you get here, nightlife, cheap prices and German quality goods and housing? If you can't answer that question then go droll somewhere else.

Better than sitting in some musty old english pub next to some 135kg slapper, drinking crappy british beer at £5.00 a pint and chomping on soggy caloric fat laden soggy fish and chips w/vinegar with mushy pea's like you enjoy doing.
It's a cold city with little or no quality jobs and post-WW2 realsocialist architecture (of course there are more modern buildings, but you'll never live there). The only thing you have going is that you're in the same boat as a million other low-paid, part-time working, Bohemienne types which might (or might not) connect to you at some point. Dozens of European cities of that size can give you that experience, so you're not discovering anything new there.

You have strange stereotypes of night life in London. You used to say it was great, but now you somehow associate it with me, it's automagically become crappy LOL Talk to me about your levels of objectivity...
Oh and I guess your lifestyle of being a corporate warrior IT banking nerd going into the office everyday eating crappy and expensive lunches, putting on weight, having your manager heckle you on a daily basis is just so superior to my bohemian life in Berlin? :roll: Puleaazee I have been there and done that, I prefer my freedom.

Sadly my job isn't low paid at €2.000 it's a normal job. Actually in Italy, this is a good job. Plus I get the benefits or relocating to wherever country in Europe I want to and I get to walk around naked in the day while you get to enjoy being shackled at your desk and spending 2+ hours commuting each day.

London nightlife is ok, but you can easily tire yourself out there in one year. Pound for pound the value just isn't there, there's tons more cities all over Europe that offer a tremendous value over London like cheaper drinks and entrance fees and prettier girls.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”