Do you guys think you will ever find true love?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
RickyRetardo
Freshman Poster

Do you guys think you will ever find true love?

Post by RickyRetardo »

More and more, to me, it seems like a fairy tale. Relationships seem like they're just about status and sex.
Let's get together and feel alright.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

OutWest
Veteran Poster

Re: Do you guys think you will ever find true love?

Post by OutWest »

RickyRetardo wrote:More and more, to me, it seems like a fairy tale. Relationships seem like they're just about status and sex.
Do you have the ability to love someone? Maybe that is the question...
MarcosZeitola
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MarcosZeitola »

Speaking as someone who already found true love, I can say for a fact that it exists. Doesn't mean I won't ever go through rough times or that I won't ever feel awful in the future. But having that special someone by your side, cliche as it may sound, will make it all seem doable.
On "Faux-Tradionalists" and why they're heading nowhere: viewtopic.php?style=1&f=37&t=29144
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Do you guys think you will ever find true love?

Post by Cornfed »

RickyRetardo wrote:More and more, to me, it seems like a fairy tale. Relationships seem like they're just about status and sex.
Yes, love as it is presented to men is a fairytale. Females see you as a resource, and the best you can hope for is that they love you as you might love a stylish leather jacket or such like.
Bobby
Freshman Poster

Post by Bobby »

No true love for me. I'm not rich enough to attract true love.
MarcosZeitola
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MarcosZeitola »

Bobby wrote:No true love for me. I'm not rich enough to attract true love.
Many a poor man has found happiness and love with a poor woman. I am not a rich man at all and neither is my wife, but she never loved me any less because of it. You may not be rich enough to attract a golddigger, sure, but who on earth would want one anyway? :wink:
MarcosZeitola
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MarcosZeitola »

Cornfed wrote:Yes, love as it is presented to men is a fairytale. Females see you as a resource, and the best you can hope for is that they love you as you might love a stylish leather jacket or such like.
Clearly you've only been with\around very materialistic and shallow women. I pity you for that, as it has clearly screwed up your perception of women as a whole. There's no happiness to be found with such a woman and you know it, but there's different types of women out there ya know.
On "Faux-Tradionalists" and why they're heading nowhere: viewtopic.php?style=1&f=37&t=29144
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on April 26th, 2020, 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Ghost wrote:No. The idea of true love (or even "love" at all) is a modern invention. For much of history, the concept didn't even exist as we think of it today.
It seems to have a somewhat long, if sporadic pedigree. I don't know, but it may have originated with the Roman elegiac poets Propertius, Tibullus and Ovid (although Ovid actually seems to have been mocking the other two) and then reared its ugly head again with the medieval courtly love bullshit.
thatkid1
Freshman Poster

Post by thatkid1 »

seems like an illusion to me
sea_dragon
Freshman Poster

Post by sea_dragon »

Ghost wrote:No. The idea of true love (or even "love" at all) is a modern invention. For much of history, the concept didn't even exist as we think of it today. The concept of love in modernity is a feeling, and it blows with the wind. The ancients would have seen it as a fulfilling of duty, more or less.

This isn't to say that it is that simple to let go of. We seek out what we understand as romantic love because we are all products of our culture - cultural robots so to speak. Not that one can't break out of it, but it is difficult to go against programming.
This. 'True love' is just an illusion. It is nothing more than lust.
MarcosZeitola
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MarcosZeitola »

sea_dragon wrote:
Ghost wrote:No. The idea of true love (or even "love" at all) is a modern invention. For much of history, the concept didn't even exist as we think of it today. The concept of love in modernity is a feeling, and it blows with the wind. The ancients would have seen it as a fulfilling of duty, more or less.

This isn't to say that it is that simple to let go of. We seek out what we understand as romantic love because we are all products of our culture - cultural robots so to speak. Not that one can't break out of it, but it is difficult to go against programming.
I pity you for being so unromantic and lacking in imagination. Don't be afraid to be a dreamer. Over analysis will only result in a headache and a cold and detached view of the world and humanity. A lot of people here are so... negative. It's a shame and hope each and every one of you finds someone awesome to rid you of that negativity. Suck the poison out, if you will. It's no way to live a life seeing the world through blackened glasses.
OutWest
Veteran Poster

Post by OutWest »

MarcosZeitola wrote:
sea_dragon wrote:

I pity you for being so unromantic and lacking in imagination. Don't be afraid to be a dreamer. Over analysis will only result in a headache and a cold and detached view of the world and humanity. A lot of people here are so... negative. It's a shame and hope each and every one of you finds someone awesome to rid you of that negativity. Suck the poison out, if you will. It's no way to live a life seeing the world through blackened glasses.
I think you are outnumbered here..remember...misery demands company.
S_Parc
Veteran Poster

Post by S_Parc »

MarcosZeitola wrote:
sea_dragon wrote:

For a vast majority of the population, I'd say no.

Even my bizarre happy situation with Mel is a one in a million occurrence, which is why I no longer talk about it. The world around us is jealous, embittered, and so-forth, because we're best of friends and had known each other for over a decade and half.

Perhaps you'd found some *Paradise Lost* world in the Philippines, I just don't see it around me.
Many years ago, the Best Picture of 1999, "American Beauty", telegraphed the message of Happier Abroad to the world.

Beware of long term engagements with AWs, you may find yourself in a coffin.

AB discussion thread

BTW, despite settling down with an AW, myself, the warning is still in effect.
KokujinKrusader
Freshman Poster

Post by KokujinKrusader »

Maybe, maybe not. I'm happy to know that I can get some puh from women I'm attracted to now though.
Grand Admiral Game taught me how to improve my mindset in order to achieve the success that I wanted in life!