Spanish girl comments on British women

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
mattyman
Junior Poster

Spanish girl comments on British women

Post by mattyman »

Basically, this girl I met last night commented about the notable difference in politeness between that of British men vs. women.

It happened on the note of her job, which is receptionist. From there it further turned towards observations about the public and of differences between the UK and Spain.

She mentioned that the men seemed very very polite in comparison to Spain, whilst the women were noticeably more uppity and bitchy. She mentioned that in Spain it's not quite as extreme as this. She also mentioned about the amount of make-up British women wear in comparison to both Spain, and women of various other nationalities she's dealt with. She mentioned that she thinks it looks tacky and fake.

It's so true though, over here a lot of the women are NOTICEABLY less polite than men. How come, you don't see this divide to such an extreme degree amongst other nationalities? How come, out of groups of other nationalities I've dealt with, you don't see this polarity? Is it because here, men tend to let women off the hook more, and maybe not to the same degree, if at all in most other countries? Could this be a symptom of what you guys call 'white night syndrome' or 'mangina'-ism?

Has anyone else who's from the UK, who has lived there or who has travelled there noticed this?
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

If you want to dig a bit deeper into the history of British people, you will see that in all of the societies that form their ethnical and cultural backbone - from Celts to Vikings and Danes (with the notable exception of ancient Romans and Francs/French) - women had complete parity of rights and duties compared to men, sometimes even joining them in battle. Women in these northern cultures have always been strong, outspoken and probably behaving in a way we would call "bitchy" in our modern times.

So, I don't such a shocking divide between past and present British women. Spanish culture has some Celt roots too but those were completely overridden by their Moor (Arabic) and then Catholic social and cultural models. Just like Italy, they have always been a mainly patriarchal society were women were given the utmost importance on specific duties (domestic economy and child upbringing, for instance) and little or no respect on more public and social duties.

I guess I am looking at a very big picture here, but what you wrote about is but an expression of this north/south divide.
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

By the way I am Italian and have been living in the UK for the best part of 16 years. I have many Spanish friends, have been to Asia (and the Philippines) and am married to a Latin American woman, so I have a little ground for these kinds of comparisons.
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by E Irizarry R&B Singer »

publicduende wrote:If you want to dig a bit deeper into the history of British people, you will see that in all of the societies that form their ethnical and cultural backbone - from Celts to Vikings and Danes (with the notable exception of ancient Romans and Francs/French) - women had complete parity of rights and duties compared to men, sometimes even joining them in battle. Women in these northern cultures have always been strong, outspoken and probably behaving in a way we would call "bitchy" in our modern times.

So, I don't such a shocking divide between past and present British women. Spanish culture has some Celt roots too but those were completely overridden by their Moor (Arabic) and then Catholic social and cultural models. Just like Italy, they have always been a mainly patriarchal society were women were given the utmost importance on specific duties (domestic economy and child upbringing, for instance) and little or no respect on more public and social duties.

I guess I am looking at a very big picture here, but what you wrote about is but an expression of this north/south divide.
I agree with you here surprisingly.
eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Post by eurobrat »

E Irizarry R&B Singer wrote:
publicduende wrote:If you want to dig a bit deeper into the history of British people, you will see that in all of the societies that form their ethnical and cultural backbone - from Celts to Vikings and Danes (with the notable exception of ancient Romans and Francs/French) - women had complete parity of rights and duties compared to men, sometimes even joining them in battle. Women in these northern cultures have always been strong, outspoken and probably behaving in a way we would call "bitchy" in our modern times.

I agree with you here surprisingly.
Italy might still be slightly patriarchal but not compared to the past and it's dwindled away to basically nothing.

And you can't call the northern women bitchy when I experienced Italian women my own age are bitchy and rambunctious from about 18-32ish then look to settle down in their mid 30's. This is how the new generation works not the old generation.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

+1

all correct

Germanic women used to form a line holding spears behind the men in battle, in case enemy broke through

vs.

Middle Eastern women were considered prizes of war, not warriors

So its not all Rockefeller/NWO crap
Nordic women were more the companion/equal/partner type even before

Nordic/Germanic womanhood is well-portrayed in the movie "300". Not all bad. Blonde and cute, but damn they DO have an opinion.

(Spartans, like most ancient Greeks, were pure Nordic. Spartan king Menelaus in Homer's Trojan War was a redhead. Helen, his unfaithful wife, was blonde. Don't take my word for it, just look at any ancient Greek statue.)
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

eurobrat wrote:
Italy might still be slightly patriarchal but not compared to the past and it's dwindled away to basically nothing.

And you can't call the northern women bitchy when I experienced Italian women my own age are bitchy and rambunctious from about 18-32ish then look to settle down in their mid 30's. This is how the new generation works not the old generation.
Ahem... weren't you living among a bunch of Lombard women up in Lake Como?
eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Post by eurobrat »

Jester wrote:
eurobrat wrote:

Ahem... weren't you living among a bunch of Lombard
The southern women are more traditional from the ones I talked to but all the girls north of Rome are no different from what you could find in the majority of American girls.

Good luck connecting with the southern Italian girls, when I say they're simple I mean they are really SIMPLE including uneducated.
pandabear
Veteran Poster

Post by pandabear »

Jester wrote: Spartan king Menelaus in Homer's Trojan War was a redhead. Helen, his unfaithful wife, was blonde. Don't take my word for it, just look at any ancient Greek statue.
Menelaus:

His hair looks gray. This Helen has black hair:

mattyman
Junior Poster

Post by mattyman »

It's funny how threads diverge onto interesting sub-threads.

On the note of Germanic and Celtic peoples, I've also heard that ancient germanic and celtic societies were matriarchal too (maybe that's why a lot of them got sacked by Rome). I've heard about queen boudica and what a formidable warrior she was, and how society in her time was strongly matriarchal.

I was not trying to support any agenda here, I was just simply sharing an example of someone bringing-up something that I feel strongly about and that I hit a point of agreement on. Also, it's nice to know that others feel the same way. I'm not trying to challenge any beliefs or anything, and I hope I didn't come across as such.

The thing I want to draw attention to is the fact that someone else pointed out differences in the way females are from one nation to another, that she observed. For guys here who are fed-up with the 'ladette' culture, or for people who find that hard-to-talk-to young women seem to outnumber easy-to-talk-to ones, I was hoping that this would offer a bit of hope that they're not all like that. And also, that there are girls out there that don't take a rosy view of some of the typical behaviours.

As for you guys who want to talk about the matriarchal societies of past Celtic and Germanic peoples, you're more than welcome to start a thread about it, I'd be very interested to discuss it with you. It does interest me TBH and I'd be curious to learn more about it.

For the mean time though, I would appreciate it if we didn't drift too far from the original topic, cheers.
diablo

Post by diablo »

I am going to post a follow up conversion i had with an african woman.

But I agree with publicduende on the suble differences protestant northern europe and catholic/orthodox southern europe.