Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.

Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

-----

Discuss and talk about any general topic.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

-----

Postby Ghost » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:03 am

-----
Last edited by Ghost on Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Cornfed » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:48 pm

There are two related reasons. One is that the future is uncertain for them, so it is impossible for them to make long term plans. Hence it actually makes sense for them to live in the moment and hope the future takes care of itself. The other is that they are so tired and stressed from dealing with the present that they are unable to sacrifice any present happiness for future benefit.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Why are most poor people so irresponsible?

Postby Cornfed » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:54 pm

Ghost wrote:I wouldn't mind a policy instituted to deal with it, like shooting on sight any homeless person that buys alcohol or cigarettes.

If you were homeless, mightn't you need a drink?
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Yohan » Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:25 pm

Ghost wrote:It's almost always the poorest people that make the worst decisions. In America, in Asia, everywhere I've been. Poor people ask for handouts. Now, if they would be responsible with what they get, I wouldn't mind. But what almost always happens? They buy smokes, drugs, booze...

I have seen many poor people, including myself when I was still a child.
We cannot choose how we are born, we cannot choose our parents.

I think, there are 2 different types of poor people.

There are poor, but want to create something, and these poor people sometimes manage to become quite wealthy. Of course they need also a little bit of luck to be successful.

But there are also the others, who just don't care about their life tomorrow, totally unwilling to work anything productive.

In Singapore there is a legal term about 'useful' and 'useless' people.

In Philippines they call them the bright ones and the dumb ones...

In USA of course too, you find people of any race who are nothing but human trash...

I would not say that the poorest people always make the wrong choice. Some of them believe it is possible to improve their life, to get away from the poverty level. They try to work overseas for example, even as illegals, sending money home...

Of course there are many others too, who are just sitting around, gambling, smoking, drinking alcohol...often showing up with criminal behavior as well.... But it's not really about being poor, it is more about being irresponsible+lazy.
Yohan
Veteran Poster

Postby Ghost » Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:50 pm

-----
Last edited by Ghost on Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

-----

Postby Ghost » Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:55 pm

-----
Last edited by Ghost on Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby droid » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:03 pm

Reverse the order of the question and you have the answer
1)Too much of one thing defeats the purpose.
2)Everybody is full of it. What's your hypocrisy?
droid
Veteran Poster

Postby MarcosZeitola » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:15 pm

Not all poor people are alike and neither are all rich people. At the end of the day, though, the haves have a lot more to lose then the have-nots in this world.
MarcosZeitola
Experienced Poster

Postby Ghost » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:11 pm

droid wrote:Reverse the order of the question and you have the answer

Touche.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby sea_dragon » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:59 pm

Poor people are all the same. Doesn't matter which ethnicity.
sea_dragon
Freshman Poster

Postby Temprano26 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:20 am

In Dallas I met a woman asking for money because she was homeless and pregnant. I wondered silently what came first, the homeless or the pregnancy?

In Costa Rica there are people on crack that ask for handouts to buy more crack. They think an American is the federal government.

At the same time I met some who really were trying to get by selling roses for something to eat with a smile on their face. I often bought ice cream for them or something.
Temprano26
Freshman Poster

Postby Cornfed » Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:04 am

Here is an interesting article where a poor female explains her condition. As with most of life, people behave in ways they are effectively compelled to.
http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/sep/21/linda-tirado-poverty-hand-to-mouth-extract
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Yohan » Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:45 am

Cornfed wrote:Here is an interesting article where a poor female explains her condition. As with most of life, people behave in ways they are effectively compelled to.
http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/sep/21/linda-tirado-poverty-hand-to-mouth-extract

I have seen people in Asia who are much poorer than this couple in this article with their 2 children.

About compelled, nobody forced her to have children, nobody is forcing her to drink alcohol or spend money for smoking.

Anyway, they are working low-level temp jobs all time and as she says, they make about USD 25.000,- together per year. They have a car and are not homeless.

What is the definition of 'being poor' in USA?

Especially since the Patriot Act [aimed at strengthening domestic security in the war against terrorism] was passed, it’s hard to get a bank account. But without one, you spend a lot of time figuring out where to cash a cheque and get money orders to pay bills.

I wandered around San Francisco for five hours in the rain once with nearly a thousand dollars on me and could not rent a room even if I gave them a $500 cash deposit and surrendered my cellphone to the desk to hold as surety.

True - or not?

Sounds strange to me, I can hardly believe that an US-citizen, who is not homeless, cannot open a banking account if he/she shows up with USD 1000,- and can identify himself or herself with a driving licence or similar document.

Can anybody from USA explain that to me?

Anyway, what this woman writes, does not convince me much about poverty in USA.
Yohan
Veteran Poster

Postby Cornfed » Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:26 am

Yohan wrote:About compelled, nobody forced her to have children, nobody is forcing her to drink alcohol or spend money for smoking.

It is arguably irresponsible not to have children. Allowing the species to go extinct just because the banksters make it hard for you is not what I would call responsible. If you don't have some outlet like alcohol or cigarettes as a poor person, you would likely go nuts and end up spending the money on prescription meds. Man does not live by bread alone.

Anyway, they are working low-level temp jobs all time and as she says, they make about USD 25.000,- together per year. They have a car and are not homeless.

What is the definition of 'being poor' in USA?

The definition of poverty is being under severe financial stress. It is not the dollar amount you are getting; it is how much leeway you have between what you get and what you need to spend to stay alive.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Cornfed » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:36 am

Ghost wrote:
Cornfed wrote:
Ghost wrote:I wouldn't mind a policy instituted to deal with it, like shooting on sight any homeless person that buys alcohol or cigarettes.

If you were homeless, mightn't you need a drink?

I see what you mean, but no homeless person should have a drink if someone was giving them money to buy food. That's scumbag behavior no matter how desperate you are. Someone's trying to help you literally survive another day and you buy booze? I just can't have sympathy for that.

I was briefly homeless for a period about 12 years ago. One day I was wandering around aimlessly about the little trails I knew in this city and I found a $20 note trodden into the mud. Even though even as a homeless person you have more money than this pass through your hands regularly, found money is exhilarating. You know what I immediately spent half the money on? Booze. And I had a fascinating night walking around the city happily drunk as a result. I have good stories, a good life memory and at the time was de-stressed, so as far as I am concerned, I did the right thing.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Next

Return to General Discussions