Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.


Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife



View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile


Is it really true that black people don't tip?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Is it really true that black people don't tip?

Postby Temprano26 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:07 pm

I have a buddy who is a server and all his friends are servers too. They declare adamantly that black people don't tip. I worked at a Movie Tavern and one of the servers said the same thing - she said always be mindful of ghetto thug types because they might walk out on their tabs.
I suppose they have run into 50 black people that don't tip and thus make it a generalization based on experience more than racism. They think political correctness perpetuates the system by giving people the excuse to pull the race card.

I don't assume that to be fact until I get some hardcore stats on that. I am not saying it is entirely false but I won't say it is entirely true either.
Temprano26
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 333
Joined: Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:08 pm

Postby Johnny1975 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:36 pm

I've worked in restaurants and I can confirm that it's true. Black people, by and large, don't tip. It's not just some myth, it's absolutely true. I've been pleasantly surprised once or twice, but it's rare. I used to greet them and send them to someone else's section. I used to do this always, and I did it quick, before someone put them in my section. It's unfortunate, and no offence, but it really is true. i've noticed it again and again.
Johnny1975
Experienced Poster
 
Posts: 1326
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:07 pm

Postby E Irizarry R&B Singer » Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:00 pm

See. You guys are here complaining, and that still demonstrates that you guys an integral part of the American matrix. Don't you guys realize that when traveling outside of the U.S. of Gay that tipping is not expected and even sometimes it's frowned upon?? The only countries that expect "tipping" are stupid American males whom tip these strippers/w.hores they trick money on in "third-world" countries alas their newly-accrued level-of-entitlement.

I was in Australia in 2007 at a restaurant, and I tried to tip. The waitress said that's not necessary and was actually offended that I tried to tip her like she's a stripper or something.

When are you guys going to unplug yourself from this American matrix? As much as I'm not keen of most Black Americans, I feel that at least they got the memo that tipping is funding and filling a void to that industry that refuses to pay their workers more an hour.

But what you guys have failed to bring up is that Benny the Irish PolyGlot (not Black, Negro, nor African!) ALSO loathes the concept of tipping but does it out of respect anyway (ok so your argument will be that he still tips....but he has a problem with it also!).

Don't you guys feel it's damn near insulting now to be forced to pay a delivery fee (which used to be known as "voluntary tipping" but now it's known as "compulsory tipping") and then they have the AUDACITY to ask for a tip when the delivery fee should compensate for that? I don't care that gas has gone up. Gas has always been pricey in Canada and they didn't do sneaky "delivery fees" like corporations in the US of Gay are doing now!!

This post will fall on "deaf" fingertips once again. At least I know the half of what's transpiring!
It's time to expatriate to evade your fate; it's time to expatriate before the barn door permanently closes on "US" sheep.
Debut mixtape "The Skilled Neophyte of RNB (x64)" dropping Spring 2016 - Follow me on Twitter @eirizarryRNB
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Veteran Poster
 
Posts: 2036
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:26 am
Location: The fuckin' U.S. of Gay *ugh*

Postby Temprano26 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:28 pm

That is true that in other countries their wages are good enough they don't need tips and if it were the same here there may not be as much hostility toward non-tippers. Economics pisses people off.
Temprano26
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 333
Joined: Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:08 pm

Postby Temprano26 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:28 pm

That is true that in other countries their wages are good enough they don't need tips and if it were the same here there may not be as much hostility toward non-tippers. Economics pisses people off.
Temprano26
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 333
Joined: Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:08 pm

Postby Temprano26 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:29 pm

That is true that in other countries their wages are good enough they don't need tips and if it were the same here there may not be as much hostility toward non-tippers. Economics pisses people off.
Temprano26
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 333
Joined: Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:08 pm

Postby Johnny1975 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:47 pm

E Irizarry R&B Singer wrote:See. You guys are here complaining, and that still demonstrates that you guys an integral part of the American matrix. Don't you guys realize that when traveling outside of the U.S. of Gay that tipping is not expected and even sometimes it's frowned upon?? The only countries that expect "tipping" are stupid American males whom tip these strippers/w.hores they trick money on in "third-world" countries alas their newly-accrued level-of-entitlement.

I was in Australia in 2007 at a restaurant, and I tried to tip. The waitress said that's not necessary and was actually offended that I tried to tip her like she's a stripper or something.

When are you guys going to unplug yourself from this American matrix? As much as I'm not keen of most Black Americans, I feel that at least they got the memo that tipping is funding and filling a void to that industry that refuses to pay their workers more an hour.

But what you guys have failed to bring up is that Benny the Irish PolyGlot (not Black, Negro, nor African!) ALSO loathes the concept of tipping but does it out of respect anyway (ok so your argument will be that he still tips....but he has a problem with it also!).

Don't you guys feel it's damn near insulting now to be forced to pay a delivery fee (which used to be known as "voluntary tipping" but now it's known as "compulsory tipping") and then they have the AUDACITY to ask for a tip when the delivery fee should compensate for that? I don't care that gas has gone up. Gas has always been pricey in Canada and they didn't do sneaky "delivery fees" like corporations in the US of Gay are doing now!!

This post will fall on "deaf" fingertips once again. At least I know the half of what's transpiring!


In a culture where tipping is expected, it's not cool to not tip. When you eat at a restaurant, you tip. That's what you do. You don't question it, you just do it. It's what cool people do. There's no logic to it and there's not supposed to be logic to it, but it's something that if you do it, you're cool, and if you don't, you're not cool. When you eat at a restaurant, just give your server a damn tip. That's all there is to it.
Johnny1975
Experienced Poster
 
Posts: 1326
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:07 pm

Postby Temprano26 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:49 pm

So tip for really bad service too? Automatically? This is where the argument comes in.
Temprano26
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 333
Joined: Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:08 pm

Postby Temprano26 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:49 pm

So tip for really bad service too? Automatically? This is where the argument comes in.
Temprano26
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 333
Joined: Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:08 pm

Postby Johnny1975 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:06 pm

Temprano26 wrote:So tip for really bad service too? Automatically? This is where the argument comes in.


If a server gives bad service (ie lazy, bad attitude, carelesness), then no, you shouldn't tip them. By not tipping them, you're sending them a message that they did a terrible job. But if they do a good job, give them a good tip, and if you can see that they're trying their best even if they make mistakes, give them a small tip. That's the Johnny71975 way.
Johnny1975
Experienced Poster
 
Posts: 1326
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:07 pm

Postby E Irizarry R&B Singer » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:19 pm

Johnny1975 wrote:
E Irizarry R&B Singer wrote:See. You guys are here complaining, and that still demonstrates that you guys an integral part of the American matrix. Don't you guys realize that when traveling outside of the U.S. of Gay that tipping is not expected and even sometimes it's frowned upon?? The only countries that expect "tipping" are stupid American males whom tip these strippers/w.hores they trick money on in "third-world" countries alas their newly-accrued level-of-entitlement.

I was in Australia in 2007 at a restaurant, and I tried to tip. The waitress said that's not necessary and was actually offended that I tried to tip her like she's a stripper or something.

When are you guys going to unplug yourself from this American matrix? As much as I'm not keen of most Black Americans, I feel that at least they got the memo that tipping is funding and filling a void to that industry that refuses to pay their workers more an hour.

But what you guys have failed to bring up is that Benny the Irish PolyGlot (not Black, Negro, nor African!) ALSO loathes the concept of tipping but does it out of respect anyway (ok so your argument will be that he still tips....but he has a problem with it also!).

Don't you guys feel it's damn near insulting now to be forced to pay a delivery fee (which used to be known as "voluntary tipping" but now it's known as "compulsory tipping") and then they have the AUDACITY to ask for a tip when the delivery fee should compensate for that? I don't care that gas has gone up. Gas has always been pricey in Canada and they didn't do sneaky "delivery fees" like corporations in the US of Gay are doing now!!

This post will fall on "deaf" fingertips once again. At least I know the half of what's transpiring!


In a culture where tipping is expected, it's not cool to not tip. When you eat at a restaurant, you tip. That's what you do. You don't question it, you just do it. It's what cool people do. There's no logic to it and there's not supposed to be logic to it, but it's something that if you do it, you're cool, and if you don't, you're not cool. When you eat at a restaurant, just give your server a damn tip. That's all there is to it.


Hi. Which languages do you speak aside from English?
It's time to expatriate to evade your fate; it's time to expatriate before the barn door permanently closes on "US" sheep.
Debut mixtape "The Skilled Neophyte of RNB (x64)" dropping Spring 2016 - Follow me on Twitter @eirizarryRNB
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Veteran Poster
 
Posts: 2036
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:26 am
Location: The fuckin' U.S. of Gay *ugh*

Postby Ghost » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:48 pm

-----
Last edited by Ghost on Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 5749
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:23 am

Postby Contrarian Expatriate » Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:11 pm

E Irizarry R&B Singer wrote:See. You guys are here complaining, and that still demonstrates that you guys an integral part of the American matrix. Don't you guys realize that when traveling outside of the U.S. of Gay that tipping is not expected and even sometimes it's frowned upon?? The only countries that expect "tipping" are stupid American males whom tip these strippers/w.hores they trick money on in "third-world" countries alas their newly-accrued level-of-entitlement.

Exactly right. Tipping is cultural. Some cultures tip, some do not. Germans and Canadians often to not tip either.

I will say the reason SOME blacks to not tip is because they have never been taught that it is almost obligatory. Sure, they might read the "tip" line on the bill, but they do not realize it is obligatory.

My father taught me as a child that I did not want to tip I should not go out to dinner. Most young blacks today are virtually unreared and untaught in social mores outside of their particular local communities.
Feel free to visit my sites and to leave your respected words of wisdom:

http://thedeclineofmyamerica.blogspot.com/

http://www.youtube.com/user/ContrarianExpatriate
Contrarian Expatriate
Experienced Poster
 
Posts: 1404
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:57 am

Postby Winston » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:21 pm

Who cares? Tipping is overrated in America anyway. They are a ripoff and adds extra cost to an already expensive meal.

Here in Taiwan, you don't have to tip. If you try, it will usually be refused. None of that nonsense. Thank goodness.
Check out the latest posts in our blog The Happier Abroaders.

Don't forget my HA Grand Ebook and Dating Sites!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
User avatar
Winston
Site Admin
 
Posts: 23596
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:16 pm

Postby Johnny1975 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:27 pm

E Irizarry R&B Singer wrote:
Johnny1975 wrote:
E Irizarry R&B Singer wrote:See. You guys are here complaining, and that still demonstrates that you guys an integral part of the American matrix. Don't you guys realize that when traveling outside of the U.S. of Gay that tipping is not expected and even sometimes it's frowned upon?? The only countries that expect "tipping" are stupid American males whom tip these strippers/w.hores they trick money on in "third-world" countries alas their newly-accrued level-of-entitlement.

I was in Australia in 2007 at a restaurant, and I tried to tip. The waitress said that's not necessary and was actually offended that I tried to tip her like she's a stripper or something.

When are you guys going to unplug yourself from this American matrix? As much as I'm not keen of most Black Americans, I feel that at least they got the memo that tipping is funding and filling a void to that industry that refuses to pay their workers more an hour.

But what you guys have failed to bring up is that Benny the Irish PolyGlot (not Black, Negro, nor African!) ALSO loathes the concept of tipping but does it out of respect anyway (ok so your argument will be that he still tips....but he has a problem with it also!).

Don't you guys feel it's damn near insulting now to be forced to pay a delivery fee (which used to be known as "voluntary tipping" but now it's known as "compulsory tipping") and then they have the AUDACITY to ask for a tip when the delivery fee should compensate for that? I don't care that gas has gone up. Gas has always been pricey in Canada and they didn't do sneaky "delivery fees" like corporations in the US of Gay are doing now!!

This post will fall on "deaf" fingertips once again. At least I know the half of what's transpiring!


In a culture where tipping is expected, it's not cool to not tip. When you eat at a restaurant, you tip. That's what you do. You don't question it, you just do it. It's what cool people do. There's no logic to it and there's not supposed to be logic to it, but it's something that if you do it, you're cool, and if you don't, you're not cool. When you eat at a restaurant, just give your server a damn tip. That's all there is to it.


Hi. Which languages do you speak aside from English?


Spanish.
Johnny1975
Experienced Poster
 
Posts: 1326
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:07 pm

Next

Return to General Discussions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 4 guests