Why does this guy say Filipinos are generous?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
steve55
Junior Poster

Why does this guy say Filipinos are generous?

Post by steve55 »

Many of you (especially Winston) always said how Filipinos never pay their own way and are always asking and expecting the foreigner to pay for things. Yet this very experienced philippine traveler says he's never experienced that and in fact, he said just the opposite, how Filipinos will give you the shirt off their back. Could it be because you've always lived in angeles city and hence a different type of Filipinos then what he experienced?

See this video starting at 2:09

Last edited by steve55 on October 31st, 2014, 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Winston
Site Admin

Re: Why does this guy say Filipinos are generous?

Post by Winston »

Yes of course it depends on the type and class of Filipinos you are with.

But all statistics say that most Filipinos are very poor and so thus cannot afford to be generous or treat you to stuff.

Btw, he's also a tall good looking guy, so he will get treated better as well and meet more quality women.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Array9
Freshman Poster

Post by Array9 »

Winston wrote:Yes of course it depends on the type and class of Filipinos you are with.

But all statistics say that most Filipinos are very poor and so thus cannot afford to be generous or treat you to stuff.

Btw, he's also a tall good looking guy, so he will get treated better as well and meet more quality women.
I have noticed while touring the Philippines and while scambaiting, Filipinas treat handsome men better than unattractive guys. They prefer to keep the handsome man as a boyfriend/husband candidate while using the unattractive men as providers. A good way to see what your girl thinks about you is if she asks for money. If she is really attracted to you, then she will be afraid to beg you for money. They will also look to pay their own way when you go out with them. If she is not really attracted to you, she will use you as a provider and look to milk you for money.

I am sure the guy in the video would never get milked for money though. Girls would probably prefer to have his baby.
Men chase, women choose

As long as you have gold in your hand, you will ALWAYS have bread on your table.
newlifeinphilippines
Veteran Poster

Post by newlifeinphilippines »

Array9 wrote:
Winston wrote:Yes of course it depends on the type and class of Filipinos you are with.

I have noticed while touring the Philippines and while scambaiting, Filipinas treat handsome men better than unattractive guys. They prefer to keep the handsome man as a boyfriend/husband candidate while using the unattractive men as providers. A good way to see what your girl thinks about you is if she asks for money. If she is really attracted to you, then she will be afraid to beg you for money. They will also look to pay their own way when you go out with them. If she is not really attracted to you, she will use you as a provider and look to milk you for money.

I am sure the guy in the video would never get milked for money though. Girls would probably prefer to have his baby.
unless the girl is unemployed or making very little which is what most foreigners end up with so it will be hard for her to pay for her own stuff so then it becomes the question does she leech cause she sees you as a provider or because she doesn't want to but genuinely can't afford anything. For example if you take a very poor girl to a restaurant or to the mall she can't afford anything anyways so whos fault is it?
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on April 2nd, 2020, 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
starchild5
Veteran Poster

Post by starchild5 »

The dude is Travis Kraft...He is American ..doing modelling, acting assignments in Philippines.... He is living in Philippines for quite sometime and has been robbed few times :)....check out his other videos where he asks for Donation to get new cameras etc which was stolen to continue making youtube videos.

He does not have any critical views on Philippines..Even if he has...He passes it on very subtly so as to not hurt his Filipino viewers.

His views on Philippines are always Picture Perfect, much like Hollywood as the actor he is, the bad is also made with a good presentation :D
WorldTraveler
Experienced Poster

Post by WorldTraveler »

He's trying to appeal to the Pinoy audiences, to get some fame and fortune there. Maybe he knows a few rich Pinoys that spend money on him, but I find this rare.
MarcosZeitola
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MarcosZeitola »

When I came to the Philippines for the first time, my in-laws wanted their daughter to be able to impress me. She is a proud woman and she was, at the time, terrified of having me pay for everything. She was afraid it may lower my opinion on her. So what did she do? She told her parents about her worries, and they gave her a several tens of thousands of Pesos for her to pay for a hotel we could stay in, for her to pay for fares, and to pay for dinner on occasion. Things I would have gladly paid for, but she insisted to be the one doing so. It was both her pride, and her fear of losing me, that made her do this. But whatever her motivations, aside from her being a total sweetheart, she was most certainly generous. Her family, too, was very generous. Never for a moment did I go hungry, full tables and happy faces wherever I went. I am a man of simple tastes but they really tried their best to leave a good impression on me, and make me feel at home. Needless to say, they succeeded!

Of course not everyone can afford to treat guests, foreign or local, like they are royals. Even for my in-laws it was quite costly but in the months and years that followed I feel like I have more then made up for their "investment". If you are a kind person, sociable and easy to get along with, expect to be met with kindness and friendliness wherever you go. Expect people to try their best when you come their homes, even if they don't have a lot to offer. Some of them are poor, but even the poor will borrow some cash and buy a big fish or some chicken for you. Once you belong to a family, and have given a girl's father the assurance that you will be there for his daughter always, you will always be a welcome sight.

The Philippines and it's people are, largely, generous. Of course it is a third world country, and third world countries often don't have a lot to offer so generosity is a matter of perspective: they give what they can give. And sometimes what they can give, is very little. On a less positive note, the city people can be very different. Prices are often a bit higher but even the more fortunate and richer Filipino's may turn out to be very snobby and cheap. While poorer Filipino's I encountered were deadly shy to ever ask for me to pay, and always go through a third person to ask me (if ever), rich Filipino's shamelessly asked for me to pay for a cab, pay for dinner, take them out to the movies... one particular (distant) relative of my wife would do this all the time, it was embarrassing. Of course I would have none of it and explained to her that in my country, he who invites people to do something is also generally the one paying. She seemed upset at this, expecting "the rich foreigner" to pay for everything. When she was by far the richest person in the family and owned a huge house in Manila! Such an attitude I never experienced in the province. A world of difference!
On "Faux-Tradionalists" and why they're heading nowhere: viewtopic.php?style=1&f=37&t=29144
davewe
Experienced Poster

Post by davewe »

MarcosZeitola wrote:
The Philippines and it's people are, largely, generous. Of course it is a third world country, and third world countries often don't have a lot to offer so generosity is a matter of perspective: they give what they can give. And sometimes what they can give, is very little. On a less positive note, the city people can be very different. Prices are often a bit higher but even the more fortunate and richer Filipino's may turn out to be very snobby and cheap. While poorer Filipino's I encountered were deadly shy to ever ask for me to pay, and always go through a third person to ask me (if ever), rich Filipino's shamelessly asked for me to pay for a cab, pay for dinner, take them out to the movies... one particular (distant) relative of my wife would do this all the time, it was embarrassing. Of course I would have none of it and explained to her that in my country, he who invites people to do something is also generally the one paying. She seemed upset at this, expecting "the rich foreigner" to pay for everything. When she was by far the richest person in the family and owned a huge house in Manila! Such an attitude I never experienced in the province. A world of difference!
This has been my experience on every point. One thing we fail to understand is what is generosity. If a poor Filipino family shares their dinner with you - that's a big deal - for them rice is expensive. As Westerners we might take such a meal for granted.

My few experiences with richer Filipinos were similar to yours. I was expected to pay. In once case I did invite the group to lunch, so my paying was pretty much expected. In another case it was a general decision to go to a restaurant - but I paid for the group. OTOH, the uncle of my friend drove us around and helped us in several ways, so I considered it almost even.
WorldTraveler
Experienced Poster

Post by WorldTraveler »

MarcosZeitola wrote:When I came to the Philippines for the first time, my in-laws wanted their daughter to be able to impress me. She is a proud woman and she was, at the time, terrified of having me pay for everything. She was afraid it may lower my opinion on her. So what did she do? She told her parents about her worries, and they gave her a several tens of thousands of Pesos for her to pay for a hotel we could stay in, for her to pay for fares, and to pay for dinner on occasion. Things I would have gladly paid for, but she insisted to be the one doing so. It was both her pride, and her fear of losing me, that made her do this. But whatever her motivations, aside from her being a total sweetheart, she was most certainly generous. Her family, too, was very generous. Never for a moment did I go hungry, full tables and happy faces wherever I went. I am a man of simple tastes but they really tried their best to leave a good impression on me, and make me feel at home. Needless to say, they succeeded!

Of course not everyone can afford to treat guests, foreign or local, like they are royals. Even for my in-laws it was quite costly but in the months and years that followed I feel like I have more then made up for their "investment". If you are a kind person, sociable and easy to get along with, expect to be met with kindness and friendliness wherever you go. Expect people to try their best when you come their homes, even if they don't have a lot to offer. Some of them are poor, but even the poor will borrow some cash and buy a big fish or some chicken for you. Once you belong to a family, and have given a girl's father the assurance that you will be there for his daughter always, you will always be a welcome sight.

How old was your Filipana? What did her parents do? I think they would give you their time or do things for you, but I paid for most things. I took care of her like my wife, because I was the one with the bigger income. I did eat their food when I visited their homes. I think there is a lot of jealousy between Pinay's and they like showing off to each other, who's foreigner does the most for them. I certainly wasn't the highest provider, but realistic in what I gave.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

newlifeinphilippines wrote: unless the girl is unemployed or making very little which is what most foreigners end up with so it will be hard for her to pay for her own stuff so then it becomes the question does she leech cause she sees you as a provider or because she doesn't want to but genuinely can't afford anything. For example if you take a very poor girl to a restaurant or to the mall she can't afford anything anyways so whos fault is it?
Hey come on now. There's a difference between paying for meals and costs on a date vs. giving her allowance money. In every country except America, the man is expected to pay for dates. That's the way it's always been. There's a reason for it. But asking for free cash is a totally different matter. Don't you see the difference?

Are you saying that with your (bogus) income of $22,000 a month, that you are too stingy to pay for the cheap cost of dinner for girls there? Geez. lol
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
newlifeinphilippines
Veteran Poster

Post by newlifeinphilippines »

Winston wrote:
newlifeinphilippines wrote: unless the girl is unemployed or making very little which is what most foreigners end up with so it will be hard for her to pay for her own stuff so then it becomes the question does she leech cause she sees you as a provider or because she doesn't want to but genuinely can't afford anything. For example if you take a very poor girl to a restaurant or to the mall she can't afford anything anyways so whos fault is it?
Hey come on now. There's a difference between paying for meals and costs on a date vs. giving her allowance money. In every country except America, the man is expected to pay for dates. That's the way it's always been. There's a reason for it. But asking for free cash is a totally different matter. Don't you see the difference?

Are you saying that with your (bogus) income of $22,000 a month, that you are too stingy to pay for the cheap cost of dinner for girls there? Geez. lol
Im tired of being the sucker. I was a big sucker in the past when i was making less than that. Enough is enough.
Yeah there is a slight difference but with some girls there its a job for them to mooch off you so in the end your wallet is as th in as if you were just handing them cash. For example my girlfriend wound up costing me as much as my bargirl who i did have on allowance. its the principal of the matter when a girl just wants to leech off you constantly and has no concern for your budget and doesn't feel guilt for spending your money etc. For example one girl was interested in fancy vacations and places to go she would not be prudent with money. I could see that wasn't gonna go anywhere so it didn't go past the one day for a lot of reasons but you can sense when a woman is just all about your money. Lots of filipinas treat foreigners like that where they dont make an effort to care they just want to mooch like as if its their money it doesnt feel like love. You know what im talking about you had the same issue. Unfortunately the only girl that I seen that wasn't like that well she was a virginal church girl and i didnt' like her personality. Why must a man have to find a wife material in order to find a girl he likes just for a casual meet LOL. And my income wont last forever so spending it away on women is foolish which is why i aint traveling now :D