Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Monday nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE AFA Seminar! See locations and dates here.



View Active Topics       View Your Posts       Latest 100 Topics       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile


AI Could Spell End of Human Race (PAG Is Right)

Discuss and talk about any general topic.

Moderators: fschmidt, jamesbond

AI Could Spell End of Human Race (PAG Is Right)

Postby The » December 3rd, 2014, 2:25 am

Stephen Hawking: ‘Artificial Intelligence Could Spell The End Of The Human Race’

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/s/stephen-hawking-artificial-intelligence-could-150024478.html#Pdy07Al

Professor Stephen Hawking is getting an upgrade to the technology that allows him to communicate. But the legendary physicist is fully aware of the implications of improving his own AI software.

Earlier this year, Hawking spelled out the potential dangers of artificial intelligence: If we can make robots smarter than humans, they can out-invent human researchers and out-manipulate human leaders, “developing weapons we cannot even understand,” in Hawking’s words.

He reiterated those claims to the BBC on Tuesday, which had asked about his own AI upgrades: “The development of artificial intelligence could spell the end of the human race,” Hawking said.

That said, Hawking’s AI is very basic. It was partially built by the engineers behind Swiftkey, which creates a smartphone keyboard app with predictive learning; Hawking’s system similarly learns how the professor thinks and suggests his next words.

Hawking also says his computer-generated voice hasn’t changed — “It has become my trademark, and I wouldn’t change it for a more natural voice with a British accent,” he said. “I’m told that children who need a computer voice want one like mine.”

But Hawking reiterated his fears of AI becoming smart and powerful enough to match or surpass humans in almost every perceivable respect.

“It would take off on its own, and redesign itself at an ever increasing rate,” he said. “Humans, who are limited by slow biological evolution, couldn’t compete, and would be superseded.”

Interesting to note, Hawking believes the internet will play a major role in how we shape artificial intelligence — how we choose to cultivate it or exploit it over time.

“More must be done by the internet companies to counter the threat, but the difficulty is to do this without sacrificing freedom and privacy.”

The post Stephen Hawking: ‘Artificial Intelligence Could Spell The End Of The Human Race’ appeared first on Business Insider.


I guess Paloaltoguy is right after all.... :?:
The
Junior Poster
 
Posts: 725
Joined: May 19th, 2014, 6:21 am





Re: AI Could Spell End of Human Race (PAG Is Right)

Postby MrPeabody » December 3rd, 2014, 4:09 am

There has been no major discovery in Artificial Intelligence since its inception in the 1950s. It's really just a collection of programming tricks. The Chess program can beat humans through its massive capability to search ahead more steps than a human can. Machines are getting good at turning human speech into written text based on encoding of linguistic rules. Neural networks are more mathematics than an accurate representation of a neural net. Expert systems and object oriented programming developed from lisp and symbolic processing. However, that could all change. The reason is that neuroscientists are getting to the point where they are developing new technology that can observe how millions of neurons interact together to perform a computation. Once they understand how the brain works, the technologists will be able to duplicate it. But at this point, AI is still more hype than reality.
MrPeabody
Experienced Poster
 
Posts: 1277
Joined: April 13th, 2008, 7:53 pm

Re: AI Could Spell End of Human Race (PAG Is Right)

Postby Ghost » December 3rd, 2014, 4:58 am

There have been many promises made of the future; few have ever come to fruition. PAG is simply agreeing with a preexisting meme about AI. Anything is possible, as it is said - but far from certain now. What it looks like now won't look the same as several years from now. In other words, fearing the arrival of Skynet may not be what we have to worry about at all. There may be as of yet unforeseen troubles that arise from advanced and widespread AI. It may or may not have anything to do with war.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 5749
Joined: April 17th, 2011, 2:23 am

Re: AI Could Spell End of Human Race (PAG Is Right)

Postby Paloaltoguy » December 3rd, 2014, 6:00 am

:D
Last edited by Paloaltoguy on December 4th, 2014, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guts Over Fear
Paloaltoguy
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 498
Joined: July 6th, 2014, 6:47 am

Re: AI Could Spell End of Human Race (PAG Is Right)

Postby Paloaltoguy » December 3rd, 2014, 6:18 am

I love how roosh members read this forum just for my insights <3

http://www.returnofkings.com/48373/permanent-unemployment-is-americas-permanent-future
Guts Over Fear
Paloaltoguy
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 498
Joined: July 6th, 2014, 6:47 am

Re: AI Could Spell End of Human Race (PAG Is Right)

Postby Moretorque » December 3rd, 2014, 7:14 am

MrPeabody wrote:There has been no major discovery in Artificial Intelligence since its inception in the 1950s. It's really just a collection of programming tricks. The Chess program can beat humans through its massive capability to search ahead more steps than a human can. Machines are getting good at turning human speech into written text based on encoding of linguistic rules. Neural networks are more mathematics than an accurate representation of a neural net. Expert systems and object oriented programming developed from lisp and symbolic processing. However, that could all change. The reason is that neuroscientists are getting to the point where they are developing new technology that can observe how millions of neurons interact together to perform a computation. Once they understand how the brain works, the technologists will be able to duplicate it. But at this point, AI is still more hype than reality.


Mr. Peabody I am glad to see you back, I was worried and thought that the Doggie Dementia may had run it's course on you. Nice to see you back posting.
Time to Hide!
Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 4400
Joined: April 28th, 2013, 3:00 pm
Location: USA,FL

Re: AI Could Spell End of Human Race (PAG Is Right)

Postby Paloaltoguy » December 4th, 2014, 12:09 am

Moretorque wrote:
MrPeabody wrote:There has been no major discovery in Artificial Intelligence since its inception in the 1950s. It's really just a collection of programming tricks. The Chess program can beat humans through its massive capability to search ahead more steps than a human can. Machines are getting good at turning human speech into written text based on encoding of linguistic rules. Neural networks are more mathematics than an accurate representation of a neural net. Expert systems and object oriented programming developed from lisp and symbolic processing. However, that could all change. The reason is that neuroscientists are getting to the point where they are developing new technology that can observe how millions of neurons interact together to perform a computation. Once they understand how the brain works, the technologists will be able to duplicate it. But at this point, AI is still more hype than reality.


Mr. Peabody I am glad to see you back, I was worried and thought that the Doggie Dementia may had run it's course on you. Nice to see you back posting.


Lol
Guts Over Fear
Paloaltoguy
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 498
Joined: July 6th, 2014, 6:47 am

Re: AI Could Spell End of Human Race (PAG Is Right)

Postby The » December 4th, 2014, 1:59 am

Well George Clooney just lost out on a Nestle gig to a robot...

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/technology/story/george-clooney-loses-out-to-robot/1/404983.html
The
Junior Poster
 
Posts: 725
Joined: May 19th, 2014, 6:21 am

Re: AI Could Spell End of Human Race (PAG Is Right)

Postby Hero » December 4th, 2014, 3:54 am

AI is BS. It's contradictory to expect a box to think outside the box.
Hero
Experienced Poster
 
Posts: 1708
Joined: July 3rd, 2008, 9:19 pm

Re: AI Could Spell End of Human Race (PAG Is Right)

Postby Winston » December 4th, 2014, 5:39 am

There is no evidence that AI even exists. Computers only do what they are programmed to do. The theory of AI doesn't take into account that consciousness or the human soul may not arise from the brain only and may have quantum extradimensional origins. It assumes that the human soul doesn't exist and that consciousness is just a complicated system of neural networks. None of this has been proven.

A complex computer may not have consciousness after all. There's no evidence that computers can think for themselves, at least not that I'm aware of.
Check out the latest posts in our blog The Happier Abroaders.

Don't forget my HA Grand Ebook and Dating Sites!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
User avatar
Winston
Site Admin
 
Posts: 24448
Joined: August 18th, 2007, 2:16 pm

Re: AI Could Spell End of Human Race (PAG Is Right)

Postby droid » December 4th, 2014, 6:22 am

Come on guys stop confusing AI with consciousness. Several members have posted related stuff, it's atrocious.
It doesn't matter if an entity is conscious or not; it's a moot point because it can't be proven. For that matter, I can't prove that any of you is really 'conscious', nor can any of you prove that I am.

What matters is that the machine/entity can DO the stuff we can, even "tricking" you into believing it's got feelings.
Coming soon to a Costco near you.
1)Too much of one thing defeats the purpose.
2)Everybody is full of it. What's your hypocrisy?
User avatar
droid
Veteran Poster
 
Posts: 2914
Joined: September 20th, 2013, 7:38 am

Re: AI Could Spell End of Human Race (PAG Is Right)

Postby droid » December 4th, 2014, 6:24 am

MrPeabody wrote: The reason is that neuroscientists are getting to the point where they are developing new technology that can observe how millions of neurons interact together to perform a computation. Once they understand how the brain works, the technologists will be able to duplicate it. But at this point, AI is still more hype than reality.
Trying to mimic the brain is the equivalent of trying to make a feathered, wing-flapping airplane. It might bring some insights but it's not the right path IMO.
1)Too much of one thing defeats the purpose.
2)Everybody is full of it. What's your hypocrisy?
User avatar
droid
Veteran Poster
 
Posts: 2914
Joined: September 20th, 2013, 7:38 am

Re: AI Could Spell End of Human Race (PAG Is Right)

Postby Cornfed » December 4th, 2014, 7:25 am

droid wrote:Come on guys stop confusing AI with consciousness. Several members have posted related stuff, it's atrocious.
It doesn't matter if an entity is conscious or not; it's a moot point because it can't be proven. For that matter, I can't prove that any of you is really 'conscious', nor can any of you prove that I am.

Right, because proof only exists in mathematics. But I believe I know what consciousness is, or at least how to create it, and it would be a very interesting concept to discuss in the religion and spirituality forum. If I am right, it wouldn't be that hard to duplicate on a computer.
User avatar
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 5501
Joined: August 17th, 2012, 5:22 am

Re: AI Could Spell End of Human Race (PAG Is Right)

Postby green1976 » December 4th, 2014, 7:40 pm

Winston wrote:There is no evidence that AI even exists. Computers only do what they are programmed to do. The theory of AI doesn't take into account that consciousness or the human soul may not arise from the brain only and may have quantum extradimensional origins. It assumes that the human soul doesn't exist and that consciousness is just a complicated system of neural networks. None of this has been proven.

A complex computer may not have consciousness after all. There's no evidence that computers can think for themselves, at least not that I'm aware of.



Not at this moment for sure but who knows what will happen in the next 50 years.

I think right now,the path i'm for is to extend maximum healthy human lifespan.
That doesn't imply to fuse the machine with the human or to transfer the brain information to a computer.
I found this a lot more like a science fiction and it will be a quit hard problem.
Some says it will happen,some says it's impossible.

I trust more in biotechnology,genetics,stem cells,telomerase.
I'm already myself using some supplements to try to stay in shape and i exercice regulary.
Nothing of this should extend my maximum lifespan but it can help with the healthy lifespan.
Staying in better shape longer yes but unless we can't go inside the molecular problem and they are some directions already on the table,we would not live to 150 or more.
I can see myself with my parents who are getting older,how i'm totally against death by aging.
The aging problem should be solutioned,i have already calculated the money i will have in the next decades,and of course if no accident happen to me or a disease,i plan to use this money when medical intevention will be available to rejuvenate my body and extend my healthy maximum lifespan.

I think that's a reasonable goal to say the aging problem will have a lot of chance to be partially repaired in the next 50 years.
green1976
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 373
Joined: September 8th, 2011, 10:24 pm

Re: AI Could Spell End of Human Race (PAG Is Right)

Postby The » December 5th, 2014, 12:42 am

Are Humans Necessary?

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/04/opinion/margaret-atwood-on-our-robotic-future.html?_r=0

Liberal establishment getting you acclimated to robotic future....
The
Junior Poster
 
Posts: 725
Joined: May 19th, 2014, 6:21 am

Next

Return to General Discussions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 5 guests