Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.

Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

This forum will be dead by early 2015

Discuss and talk about any general topic.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Re: This forum will be dead by early 2015

Postby abcdavid01 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:18 pm

Yeah, I know enough about the web to see that Winston's still probably doing very well and it looks to remain that way. What's important here is that the soul of the forum is dying. Nothing to do with traffic, everything to do with quality. Too many good posters leaving in a very short time frame. Others not posting nearly as often, myself included. It's a shame you didn't join a year earlier Marcos. Last one on a sinking ship it seems. If all that matters is money, leave it be. If the goal here is a healthy online community then reform is necessary. So which is it?
中国人万岁! 中国美女万岁!
abcdavid01
Experienced Poster

Postby Paloaltoguy » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:03 pm

:)
Last edited by Paloaltoguy on Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Guts Over Fear
Paloaltoguy
Freshman Poster

Postby OutWest » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:22 pm

wacavid01 wrote:Yeah, I know enough about the web to see that Winston's still probably doing very well and it looks to remain that way. What's important here is that the soul of the forum is dying. Nothing to do with traffic, everything to do with quality. Too many good posters leaving in a very short time frame. Others not posting nearly as often, myself included. It's a shame you didn't join a year earlier Marcos. Last one on a sinking shippers it seems. If all that matters is money, leave it be. If the goal here is a healthy online community then reform is necessary. So which is it?

I have reduced my posts and no longer tend to post original material. Anything of substance is immediately mobbed by the tin foil hat mob, total whack jobs or
Lunatics like anatroll.
OutWest
Veteran Poster

Postby Paloaltoguy » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:29 pm

:roll:
Last edited by Paloaltoguy on Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guts Over Fear
Paloaltoguy
Freshman Poster

Postby Ghost » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:42 pm

Trolls are only a part of the overall problem, though trolls are the easiest aspect to deal with because there are so many options, and banning is not required, which protects free speech.

I've been more frustrated with seeing legit guys on here who whine endlessly and never try anything. Tsar was the ultimate example of that. He never actually did anything, preferring to live in a fantasy world and endlessly talking about what could happen.

The idea of being happier abroad may perish within a few years because conditions become so bad and young men (even the red pill types) become so demoralized that they give up entirely on the idea of happier abroad. I doubt the end of HA will be because of trolls. Trolls really don't do anything. An obvious troll like PAG appears and everybody instantly sees how absurd it is. It doesn't really harm anything. Winston would have to be insane enough to appoint a troll as a moderator to kill HA through trolling. Otherwise, they are just a nuisance. And as I've suggested before, Winston could just make a trollville type of forum and place the known trolls there, like PAG, The, and Anatol. And there could always be the chance of them moving to the regular forum if they start acting rationally and civilly. So trolling is actually not much of a real problem, merely a nuisance.

Another aspect of that is that once someone becomes a success story, they lose their reason to stay here. If someone is living a happy life abroad, they don't really need a forum anymore. Now, we do have some successful veterans here and they try to help. And then there are guys like me, who have some experience but are hardly successful yet. Speaking for only myself, I refuse to give out any good info that can only be gained by traveling and living abroad. I fought hard for it, and I'll be damned if some monger comes on here and tries to use it to his advantage. I view mongers as the biggest threat here. If the info I and others have could be shared in security, I'd love to tell so many things. But I have no reason to trust most posters here, and unfortunately that includes some long-standing legit posters as well.

One way or another, I suspect HA is on a time limit. It's just that trolls are the least of it.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Paloaltoguy » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:52 pm

You silly people

Last edited by Paloaltoguy on Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guts Over Fear
Paloaltoguy
Freshman Poster

Postby The » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:38 am

MarcosZeitola wrote:
Winston wrote:I just banned anatol for a week.

Good. Thank you very much. Now ban PAG or make Jester a mod and have him done it. You yourself suggested him as a good mod and a lot of people agreed, including me.

Winston wrote:How do you define a troll?

Now I dont know who died and made Jester this sort of savior when it comes to moderation....Jester absolutely should not be a moderator on these forums.....Winston should not consult with an left win loon like Marcos on who should be a modertor, but it should be under his own volition.....
The
Junior Poster

Postby Hero » Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:08 am

Anyone remember "AmericanWomenSuck.com"? That was a kick-ass forum about 10 years ago, but eventually all of the interesting posters went away and it died with a whimper, not a bang. So yes, I believe the same could happen here. Seems like I can't post anymore without getting flamed by a bunch of weirdos.
Hero
Experienced Poster

Postby Yohan » Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:10 am

I don't think this HA Forum will be dead soon, as there are always newcomers, plenty of young men, who have problems with Western women.
There is also no shortage of older men, who were badly treated and financially ruined by their ex-wives.
Who does not like in such a situation to get some information about women from abroad?

However I agree it would be good for this HA-Forum to erase various comments and some entire threads which contain nothing but merely troll-style BS-talk. For sure, this would help to improve the image of this forum.
Yohan
Veteran Poster

Postby Winston » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:16 am

Paloaltoguy wrote:
newlifeinphilippines wrote:
Paloaltoguy wrote:
MrPeabody wrote:This forum won't die because of the network effect. Everyone goes to the sites with a high google ranking and most of the rest of the Internet is ignored. It seems that a forum can continue with garbage content and trolls forever. Look at craiglist. It's even worse. My question is once a website achieves a google ranking, how does it every die?

Yes it will. One change to Google ranking algorithm and he's gone... Unlike Craig's list which is a standalone product, all of his traffic comes from Google searches. People read a few lines and then click X or click on something else that catches their eye... like ads for women.

thats how i got wiped out in 2012 when google slapped my sites so i lost most of my search traffic. I changed tactics now (and what i promoted) and dont really rely on google. Recurring members helps a bit but only up to a certain point. If you rely on google for all your new members and you lose that rank then you will bleed members quickly unless the initial members come back at a higher rate than your bleed loss but im not sure winston has enough repeat visitors right now that would offset a google loss.

That algorithm change back in 2012 destroyed tons of content mills. The next change will eliminate 'hate' sites.

How do you know this? Google's algorithms are not public information and plus this site is not technically a hate site. How do you have any inside knowledge? What makes you credible when you b.s. a lot and have nothing to prove your claims?
Check out the latest posts in our blog The Happier Abroaders.

Don't forget my HA Grand Ebook and Dating Sites!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
Winston
Site Admin

Postby Winston » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:21 am

Hero wrote:Anyone remember "AmericanWomenSuck.com"? That was a kick-ass forum about 10 years ago, but eventually all of the interesting posters went away and it died with a whimper, not a bang. So yes, I believe the same could happen here. Seems like I can't post anymore without getting flamed by a bunch of weirdos.

The reason that site went down is because everyone was banned, including me, and the owner, Chris, took it down and changed it to ghost nation.

But we are nothing like that. I ban very few people whereas Chris banned everyone and was a nutcase. So you can't compare us with them.

This site exists because of destiny. Higher forces want our message sent out into the world so to help save men who are suffering and losing it.

There is a war in the heavens and there are forces of light and goodness too. Everything has an opposite to counter it. So the dark forces do not have free reign.

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
Winston
Site Admin

Postby Winston » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:26 am

Yohan wrote:I don't think this HA Forum will be dead soon, as there are always newcomers, plenty of young men, who have problems with Western women.
There is also no shortage of older men, who were badly treated and financially ruined by their ex-wives.
Who does not like in such a situation to get some information about women from abroad?

However I agree it would be good for this HA-Forum to erase various comments and some entire threads which contain nothing but merely troll-style BS-talk. For sure, this would help to improve the image of this forum.

True. But that's assuming everything remains the same. We have no control over what Google does or what the US government does or what the illuminati and NSA does, etc if they decide we are a threat to them.

The bad threads are already pushed down into the archives and will not be seen by new members. So no worries there.

Winston
Site Admin

Postby Cornfed » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:12 am

Winston, you are under pressure to do precisely what other anti-establishment sites did to destroy themselves. This has been a long time coming and very cleverly orchestrated. For once your default strategy to life is the right one - do nothing. The problems will sort themselves out if only you don't cave in and do stupid stuff.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby MarcosZeitola » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:49 am

The wrote:Now I dont know who died and made Jester this sort of savior when it comes to moderation....Jester absolutely should not be a moderator on these forums...

Could you explain to us, in a few more words, why Jester should not be a moderator? It seems to me like the only reason you are opposed to the idea is because you are afraid he might some day ban you for being a troll. :roll:

The wrote:Winston should not consult with an left win loon like Marcos on who should be a modertor, but it should be under his own volition.....

What makes you think I'm left wing? I am a moderate on some issues, a conservative on others. Overall I'd say I'm relatively down to earth. Care to elaborate? You make a lot of bold statements but without any substance.
MarcosZeitola
Experienced Poster

Postby Jester » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:56 am

MarcosZeitola wrote:
lasttry wrote:What all these forums really need is what they used to call a "twit filter" back in the NNTP/Usenet days. What that means is you can specify users whose posts you don't want to ever see. Those users won't be banned from the forum, but the things they post will be invisible to the people who twit filter them (unless other users quote these twits in their replies).

The ignore option already exists, but I don't like it: new members or potential member visitors would still see the bullshit and troll posts and it would make the forums look bad. And when quoted the troll posts would still show up, but discussions would look weird as a result of it. Troublesome members are best off having their posting priviliges (permanently) revoked, IMO.

I agree.

Winston always touts the "ignore' option as the solution, but it isn;t. Worst of all, you still see the "ignored" troll's handle on the index. So you still have to decide if you want to visit the thread or not.

Don't ignore. Eject.
"Pick a point and go to it."
-- Dr John Hunsucker, speaking about canoeing on Georgia's Lake Lanier, with its irregular shape, and 1000 miles of meandering shoreline
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions