Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.

Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

How's Everyone's 2015 so far...?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

How's Everyone's 2015 so far...?

Postby xiongmao » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:25 pm

So how is your 2015 so far? Is anyone actually going abroad?

I made a good start by getting my TEFL training underway. I signed up to a 120 hr certificate (the minimum needed in China) and I did the 20 hour classroom based part of the course. It was tremendous fun! I met some great people and the teacher was excellent, but I feel sad that I'll probably never see them again.

Now I'm doing the online part. I know you don't need anything to teach in many countries, but these courses do give you plenty of practical ideas for planning fun and enjoyable lessons.

If anyone seriously wants a long term career in language teaching, then one tip I can give is to go and sign up to learn a foreign language. Studying Mandarin has really helped when it comes to planning lessons for English learners.

I also went to an open evening at International House, one of the major CELTA course providers. Their school is great, but a CELTA is for rich people and the prospective students were a lot less diverse than those on the 120 hr TEFL. Still, if you got the cash then a CELTA earned in London (or anywhere else really) would be very nice to have.

My job went bad again - I realise now that office life is killing me and I should get out ASAP.

I do want to go abroad to live again but I am not sure where to go or what to do. Since I see teaching overseas as a long term thing, I'd like to get some decent qualifications in the field, like an MA.
In February 2013 I quit my boring job and now I'm Happier Abroad...
Do YOU want to date beautiful foreign women? Find out which country's women are best for you, and which dating site to look for them on!
Plus, if you like Asian girls, then check out my free Asian dating site.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Re: How's Everyone's 2015 so far...?

Postby Ghost » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:46 pm

xiongmao wrote:So how is your 2015 so far? Is anyone actually going abroad?

I made a good start by getting my TEFL training underway. I signed up to a 120 hr certificate (the minimum needed in China) and I did the 20 hour classroom based part of the course. It was tremendous fun! I met some great people and the teacher was excellent, but I feel sad that I'll probably never see them again.

Congrats. I'm traveling again in a few weeks to take a TEFL course myself. Already got my stuff booked. It'll be my first foray into Latin America.

Now I'm doing the online part. I know you don't need anything to teach in many countries, but these courses do give you plenty of practical ideas for planning fun and enjoyable lessons.

Well, it does open some doors. One can still get jobs in lesser known and lesser desired cities without quals, usually backwater types of places, but even "just" a TEFL opens up a lot of doors. It's good to have, and it can't hurt.

If anyone seriously wants a long term career in language teaching, then one tip I can give is to go and sign up to learn a foreign language. Studying Mandarin has really helped when it comes to planning lessons for English learners.

I definitely agree. I can't wait to get back into Chinese, but I'm waiting until I return to China since I don't have anyone to practice with here. I've improved my Spanish in preparation for going to Latin America, and because I like the language. My long term goal is still to be tri-lingual. And in Asia, most of those students don't really get any exposure to any other foreign languages besides English and they don't get many bilingual foreign teachers either. So Asian students definitely are interested, even if it's just because it's exotic compared to English, which they're bored with usually.

I also went to an open evening at International House, one of the major CELTA course providers. Their school is great, but a CELTA is for rich people and the prospective students were a lot less diverse than those on the 120 hr TEFL. Still, if you got the cash then a CELTA earned in London (or anywhere else really) would be very nice to have.

I thought about it before I "settled" for a TEFL, but then I considered the cost, and going to a place like the U.K. And I've even been advised that a TEFL is sometimes more recognized than a CELTA. Which would be odd. Chinese friend who recruits foreign teachers told me that.

My job went bad again - I realise now that office life is killing me and I should get out ASAP.

I do want to go abroad to live again but I am not sure where to go or what to do. Since I see teaching overseas as a long term thing, I'd like to get some decent qualifications in the field, like an MA.

Once you've traveled, it's hard to not do it again. :) I'm going stir crazy here in the U.S. and am ready to get the adventure started again. If you want to try out shorter term teaching gigs without committing a full year first, you could look at English camps for China. And for Japan, there's a company called Westgate, which offers one semester gigs at universities.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Break the chains » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:03 am

My 2015 has started a bit rubbish. Lost my job while on leave. I was a contractor and they had a "restructure" while I was away. Seems my new manager fired me before he even got to meet me :roll:

But I saved up and invested, and I am getting fit again and I am going to enrol in Vietnamese language class.

Trying to either a) find another job and/or b) come up with a business / passive income idea.
Trying to be a better man
Break the chains
Freshman Poster

Postby Hero » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:48 am

Is your TEFL training with Oxford seminars?
Hero
Experienced Poster

Postby zacb » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:17 pm

So far so good. Less than a month til Panama City and I am rearing to go. The other night I was shocked I was actually going through with this, but I am kind of excited though.
The Daily Agorist, Learn to Live Independent of the System! http://www.theagoristreview.blogspot.com
zacb
Experienced Poster

Postby Luc Furr » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:30 am

the fms and some blnd dmns poisoned me a few times. Guess they didn't like that I was looking in what they think of as "their Philippine playground". Wanted to drive me away.
Luc Furr
Freshman Poster

Postby Yohan » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:05 am

In Japan for me and family all is OK, we just came back from Thailand, 3 weeks vacation, now working full-time again. 2015 seems to be without problems for us.
Yohan
Veteran Poster

Postby Signet » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:53 am

I'm planning on going out of the country in either April or sometime in July-August (really hoping for April, but things seem to be conspiring against me). It certainly won't be permanent, but it is a good chunk of time -- a month -- and I'm hoping I can check some places out.

I understand that I'm not exactly a pillar of the community with 13 posts, but I feel like this is a good place to establish it nonetheless.
Signet
Freshman Poster

Postby Jester » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:00 am

Signet wrote:I'm planning on going out of the country in either April or sometime in July-August (really hoping for April, but things seem to be conspiring against me). It certainly won't be permanent, but it is a good chunk of time -- a month -- and I'm hoping I can check some places out.

I understand that I'm not exactly a pillar of the community with 13 posts, but I feel like this is a good place to establish it nonetheless.

Good goal, congrats on having a plan.

Cool avatar, btw.
"Pick a point and go to it."
-- Dr John Hunsucker, speaking about canoeing on Georgia's Lake Lanier, with its irregular shape, and 1000 miles of meandering shoreline
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby zacb » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:06 am

Jester wrote:
Signet wrote:I'm planning on going out of the country in either April or sometime in July-August (really hoping for April, but things seem to be conspiring against me). It certainly won't be permanent, but it is a good chunk of time -- a month -- and I'm hoping I can check some places out.

Good goal, congrats on having a plan.

Cool avatar, btw.

Ditto. It is better than many of us have done. Keep up the good work.
The Daily Agorist, Learn to Live Independent of the System! http://www.theagoristreview.blogspot.com
zacb
Experienced Poster

Postby Break the chains » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:44 pm

Lost 5 kilos since I last worked my last day on my last job 3 weeks ago. I don't think I can stomach another office job. I want to write instead.
Trying to be a better man
Break the chains
Freshman Poster

Postby xiongmao » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:41 pm

Good stuff guys!

Actually I've had a shocker of a week so I am throwing in the towel and I am going to do a very hasty Plan B. Basically I need to move house again and my job is not worth saving. So I am putting Plan B into action.

Plan B is actually a wonderful opportunity. Yes I will go abroad and yes it's going to happen VERY soon. No I am NOT going to Asia this time! I'll post details once it's confirmed.

Incidentally a friend of mine is in China and the local police are flexing their muscles and being "difficult". Plenty of other countries in the World though.
Do YOU want to date beautiful foreign women? Find out which country's women are best for you, and which dating site to look for them on!
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Postby Ghost » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:08 pm

xiongmao wrote:Good stuff guys!

Actually I've had a shocker of a week so I am throwing in the towel and I am going to do a very hasty Plan B. Basically I need to move house again and my job is not worth saving. So I am putting Plan B into action.

Plan B is actually a wonderful opportunity. Yes I will go abroad and yes it's going to happen VERY soon. No I am NOT going to Asia this time! I'll post details once it's confirmed.

Incidentally a friend of mine is in China and the local police are flexing their muscles and being "difficult"
. Plenty of other countries in the World though.

What's your friend doing? Teaching, I assume? What city is he in?
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby xiongmao » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:03 am

He's in Guangzhou. And he's hustling, not teaching.

I did a little Googling, and I gather that he's been hit by a particular police crackdown. There were protests from the Chinese locals about it last year, with the feeling that the police were profiting financially from the crackdown at the expense of the populace.

Anyway, keep your head down wherever you live...
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Postby Ghost » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:21 am

Hustling, huh? Sounds cryptic enough. Lot of ways to hustle in China. He could just try it in third-tier cities. Police don't even do much in those places.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Next

Return to General Discussions