Giving up your dogs

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
Boxman
Freshman Poster

Giving up your dogs

Post by Boxman »

I made the decision to leave America well over a year ago, but I haven't done it yet. I've got my bases covered when it comes to money, having amassed a good nest egg in the form of stocks, rental properties and cash reserves. Plus I have my retirement pensions for later (my 60's and beyond if I don't whore and drink myself into an early grave). Family isn't really holding me back either; I'm divorced, no kids and my parents are dead. But I'm having a really hard time coming to peace with the idea of losing my beloved dogs. These dogs are really bonded with me and I adore them; they're what got me through my divorce and my mother's death. If you're not an animal person you won't get this, but those of you who are will understand - it's like giving up your children.

I know logically that my dream of going overseas for an extended period of travel and exploration is not compatible with being a dog owner. To gain one thing I have to give something else up. In this case it's my dogs. But I'm having a really hard time accepting that. Have any of you ever struggled with this, or similar? I'd like to hear what you have to say, because I'm feeling really stuck in indecision right now.
droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Giving up your dogs

Post by droid »

Family isn't really holding me back either; I'm divorced, no kids and my parents are dead.
All that sounds pretty tough man, i commend you for your strength.
You could try getting somebody to adopt them from you and keep a relation with the person so you could visit or at least keep that possibility in the back of your head.
M friend had to give away his dog because he had to move to a smaller place and did that. He gave it to a guy with a farm here in FL, and kept the contact of the guy. At least there is the feeling and consolation that the dog is enjoying himself in the big farm.
1)Too much of one thing defeats the purpose.
2)Everybody is full of it. What's your hypocrisy?
drealm
Junior Poster

Post by drealm »

Why not bring them?

My grandfather brought his dogs on steamship all the way from Germany to Venezuela.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

As we know, dogs are temporary friends anyway. If they are somewhat old, you may as well just shoot them. We all have to go some time, and in some cases better sooner rather than later. If they have a lot of life ahead of them, I don't know what the answer is. Let you conscience be your guide.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Cornfed wrote:
As we know, dogs are temporary friends anyway. If they are somewhat old, you may as well just shoot them.
Jesus, Cornfed!
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
Boxman
Freshman Poster

Post by Boxman »

Cornfed wrote:As we know, dogs are temporary friends anyway. If they are somewhat old, you may as well just shoot them. We all have to go some time, and in some cases better sooner rather than later. If they have a lot of life ahead of them, I don't know what the answer is. Let you conscience be your guide.
What's guiding you? LOL
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Boxman wrote:
I made the decision to leave America well over a year ago, but I haven't done it yet. I've got my bases covered when it comes to money, having amassed a good nest egg in the form of stocks, rental properties and cash reserves. Plus I have my retirement pensions for later (my 60's and beyond if I don't whore and drink myself into an early grave). Family isn't really holding me back either; I'm divorced, no kids and my parents are dead. But I'm having a really hard time coming to peace with the idea of losing my beloved dogs. These dogs are really bonded with me and I adore them; they're what got me through my divorce and my mother's death. If you're not an animal person you won't get this, but those of you who are will understand - it's like giving up your children.

I know logically that my dream of going overseas for an extended period of travel and exploration is not compatible with being a dog owner. To gain one thing I have to give something else up. In this case it's my dogs. But I'm having a really hard time accepting that. Have any of you ever struggled with this, or similar? I'd like to hear what you have to say, because I'm feeling really stuck in indecision right now.
Great thread.

Just bought Chucky The Pit Bull 4 weeks ago. Had put off dog ownership for years because of personal issues, chief among which was ability to travel.

This time I had just gone to the gym, then hit the beach, was in a great mood, and couldnt resist after I met the little guy.

No regrets.

What allowed me to get over the guilt of a (possibly) temporary relationship, is that as a Pit Bull in Mexico, bred by and owned by a Mexican, Chucky would have a better life for a while with me than he would with any Mexican buyer.

I figure if and when I have to take off and hit the road, I figure that a pit bull in Mexico can always find work. And that his time with me will give him some residue of good living, to brighten an otherwise difficult life.

It was a tough decision, selfish to an extent. I was just too despondent and lonely, even to work. And his presence does help me.

If I do leave for good, I will try to get him a good home of course.

But again no regrets.

To the OP, I suggest visualizing a good home for your dog. Taking him with you is a good goal, but you can't be guided by that when you choose a country. Think about it. People have always emigrated and gone abroad for good. And they have left families behind.
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Can you bring a pet with you on an airline? Do they store pets in cages in the cargo hold on airlines? If not, can they be shipped on oceanliner ships as freight?

You can also read my "12 reasons not to get a dog" thread to help you get over giving one away too.

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=18714
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
MarcosZeitola
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MarcosZeitola »

I am very fond of dogs, and consider them to be the most loyal of animals. I'm not ashamed that last year, when a puppy born to my wife's dog who I was quite set on raising myself, died, I was very upset. Heartbroken, even. To lose an old dog I understand, it is a part of life for old people and old animals to die. But for a young dog to die was horrible to me.

Call me a sentimental bastard if you will, but there really is no shame in loving animals. If you cannot bring them with you, it is your duty as their owner and friend to find them a good place. And if you wish to not be parted with them, move heaven and earth to bring them wherever it is you are going.

Good luck, boxman, on what is sure to be a difficult call to make.
On "Faux-Tradionalists" and why they're heading nowhere: viewtopic.php?style=1&f=37&t=29144
Boxman
Freshman Poster

Post by Boxman »

Winston wrote:You can also read my "12 reasons not to get a dog" thread to help you get over giving one away too.

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=18714

"If you are with a woman and her dog is there, and you hug her or kiss her, her dog may think you are attacking her and bite you or attack you, or do it out of jealously. Would you want that? Geez. Why the unnecessary trouble? That's so stupid! Who would want that?! Also, if you are having sex or making out in your bed, and the dog is there, it will get aroused and make noise and try to join in the action by humping one of you. That's very distracting if you are trying to make love or have sex. Why wouldn't you want that? That's crazy."

LOL... oh Winston.
MarcosZeitola wrote:I am very fond of dogs, and consider them to be the most loyal of animals. I'm not ashamed that last year, when a puppy born to my wife's dog who I was quite set on raising myself, died, I was very upset. Heartbroken, even. To lose an old dog I understand, it is a part of life for old people and old animals to die. But for a young dog to die was horrible to me.

Call me a sentimental bastard if you will, but there really is no shame in loving animals. If you cannot bring them with you, it is your duty as their owner and friend to find them a good place. And if you wish to not be parted with them, move heaven and earth to bring them wherever it is you are going.

Good luck, boxman, on what is sure to be a difficult call to make.
Wise words and good advise. I can see this is one another of those "make up your own goddamned mind and live with the consequences" kind of moments in life. I hate those. :)