Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.


Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife



View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile


Any Tips for a Colombia Trip?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Any Tips for a Colombia Trip?

Postby zacb » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:37 pm

Hey, I am thinking of making the trip to Colombia. Spirit has a special deal where they are giving away 15,000 bonus mile, so I figured with that my girl and I could take a trip down there and have a good time. This would be more to hang and not so much of business like Panama. I am thinking of going from Detroit to Ft. Lauderdale, stay there a day, go to Cartagena stay 2 days, ditto for Medellin, and Bogota. I may consider moving there in the future, and thus why I want to bring my gf to see if she likes it (I think she would like a change from the cold Michigan weather). Are there any places I MUST visit while I am there? Any tips or hints? Thanks!
The Daily Agorist, Learn to Live Independent of the System! http://www.theagoristreview.blogspot.com
zacb
Experienced Poster
 
Posts: 1510
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:33 am
Location: Michigan







Re: Any Tips for a Colombia Trip?

Postby xiongmao » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:48 pm

Never been there, but please come back here and brain dump all your findings. After I do my CELTA South America is somewhere I should check out at some stage, especially with my new found terrible Spanish.

All I know of Colombia is that the ladies are very hot (from what I've seen of the ones that are here in Spain).
In February 2013 I quit my boring job and now I'm Happier Abroad...
Do YOU want to date beautiful foreign women? Find out which country's women are best for you, and which dating site to look for them on!
Plus, if you like Asian girls, then check out my free Asian dating site.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster
 
Posts: 2540
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:09 pm
Location: London

Re: Any Tips for a Colombia Trip?

Postby chibolo » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:34 pm

xiongmao wrote:Never been there, but please come back here and brain dump all your findings. After I do my CELTA South America is somewhere I should check out at some stage, especially with my new found terrible Spanish.

All I know of Colombia is that the ladies are very hot (from what I've seen of the ones that are here in Spain).


I have never been to Colombia either (only Peru and Ecuador), but I have read a lot about it online and I would like to check it out too and see how it compares to the other countries in SA that I have visited.

If you learned Spanish in Spain you will probably find Colombian Spanish challenging though. After I learned Spanish in Peru I watched some Colombian tv shows (telenovelas) and their accent and slang is really different from what I am used to.
chibolo
Junior Poster
 
Posts: 507
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:06 am

Re: Any Tips for a Colombia Trip?

Postby droid » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:42 pm

zacb , I've been here for six months already and currently two months in Manizales.
You don't describe exactly your plans but I understand you have a lady and not looking for women.

I would suggest spending at least three or four days on each place to really soak it in, without a rush.
My second suggestion is to rent an inconspicuous car to be able to enjoy the landscapes and the new improved highways, and have some more freedom.
Only thing is the all the tolls (about $3) do take a "toll" on your budget, as you can find three or four of them between cities. But if you weight it down compared to the plane tickets or bus rides, it think it's still worth it. Again, enjoying the landscapes and looking at the HUGE mountains is very rewarding.

As far as safety goes I haven't had any problems, in spite of even locals warning you about certain cities or neighborhoods lol. I'm always low key and polite/respectful. Sticking to main avenues during the night is also a good idea.

If you decide to check out or make a stop in Manizales, i'd be more than happy to show you around. Ah, but you have to buy some kind of neck brace, you've been warned. But I don't know if your lady will let you stay here more than 24 hours anyways.
Last edited by droid on Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1)Too much of one thing defeats the purpose.
2)Everybody is full of it. What's your hypocrisy?
User avatar
droid
Veteran Poster
 
Posts: 2455
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:38 am

Re: Any Tips for a Colombia Trip?

Postby Jester » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:47 pm

droid wrote:
As far as safety goes I haven't had any problems, in spite of even locals warning you about certain cities or neighborhoods lol. I'm always low key and polite/respectful. Sticking to main avenues during the night is also a good idea.



Latins, in the US, Mexico, and Colombia, seem to be far more cautious and safety-conscious than Americans.

Partly that's because, yes, we're stupid.

But partly it's because we just aren't as careful, and are more comfortable taking risks.

What an upperclass Latin tells you is dangerous is just normal in Los Angeles California for example.
"Pick a point and go to it."
-- Dr John Hunsucker, speaking about canoeing on Georgia's Lake Lanier, with its irregular shape, and 1000 miles of meandering shoreline
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 7869
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:10 am
Location: Chiang Mai Thailand

Re: Any Tips for a Colombia Trip?

Postby Jester » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:50 pm

zacb wrote:Hey, I am thinking of making the trip to Colombia. Spirit has a special deal where they are giving away 15,000 bonus mile, so I figured with that my girl and I could take a trip down there and have a good time. This would be more to hang and not so much of business like Panama. I am thinking of going from Detroit to Ft. Lauderdale, stay there a day, go to Cartagena stay 2 days, ditto for Medellin, and Bogota. I may consider moving there in the future, and thus why I want to bring my gf to see if she likes it (I think she would like a change from the cold Michigan weather). Are there any places I MUST visit while I am there? Any tips or hints? Thanks!


I sugest a bus trip down the Coffee Country. Droid's Manizales is along the way, a must-see, a nice college town but in the mountains.
Another must-see is the town of Armenia, really the center of the Coffee Country. There is actually a Juan Valdez museum or something like that. More importantly there is a world-famous nature sanctuary, like a giant open-air zoo.

+10 to you for being a real traveler.
"Pick a point and go to it."
-- Dr John Hunsucker, speaking about canoeing on Georgia's Lake Lanier, with its irregular shape, and 1000 miles of meandering shoreline
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 7869
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:10 am
Location: Chiang Mai Thailand

Re: Any Tips for a Colombia Trip?

Postby Jester » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:52 pm

droid wrote:

If you decide to check out or make a stop in Manizales, i'd be more than happy to show you around. Ah, but you have to buy some kind of neck brace, you've been warned. But I don't know if your lady will let you stay here more than 24 hours anyways.



That's OK, no need to cause strife, if you meet hot chicas, just get their FB, tell them it's for your friend who's single (ME).
"Pick a point and go to it."
-- Dr John Hunsucker, speaking about canoeing on Georgia's Lake Lanier, with its irregular shape, and 1000 miles of meandering shoreline
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 7869
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:10 am
Location: Chiang Mai Thailand

Re: Any Tips for a Colombia Trip?

Postby zacb » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:30 pm

droid wrote:zacb , I've been here for six months already and currently two months in Manizales.
You don't describe exactly your plans but I understand you have a lady and not looking for women.

I would suggest spending at least three or four days on each place to really soak it in, without a rush.
My second suggestion is to rent an inconspicuous car to be able to enjoy the landscapes and the new improved highways, and have some more freedom.
Only thing is the all the tolls (about $3) do take a "toll" on your budget, as you can find three or four of them between cities. But if you weight it down compared to the plane tickets or bus rides, it think it's still worth it. Again, enjoying the landscapes and looking at the HUGE mountains is very rewarding.

As far as safety goes I haven't had any problems, in spite of even locals warning you about certain cities or neighborhoods lol. I'm always low key and polite/respectful. Sticking to main avenues during the night is also a good idea.

If you decide to check out or make a stop in Manizales, i'd be more than happy to show you around. Ah, but you have to buy some kind of neck brace, you've been warned. But I don't know if your lady will let you stay here more than 24 hours anyways.


Lol . Nice one. I have around 9 days off for work, and so I want a "sampler" if you will of Colombia, and if I like what I see, I can dig further in. My GF likes the mild weather and the cheapness, while I like the freedom, weather and cheapness. I am thinking mostly between Chile and Colombia, but still have not decided. I want to visit both, but Chile is out of my price range ATM.
The Daily Agorist, Learn to Live Independent of the System! http://www.theagoristreview.blogspot.com
zacb
Experienced Poster
 
Posts: 1510
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:33 am
Location: Michigan

Re: Any Tips for a Colombia Trip?

Postby Jester » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:35 pm

Fly into Medellin, rent, drive through Armenia and Pereira to Manizales.

"El Cafe Pays"
"Pick a point and go to it."
-- Dr John Hunsucker, speaking about canoeing on Georgia's Lake Lanier, with its irregular shape, and 1000 miles of meandering shoreline
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 7869
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:10 am
Location: Chiang Mai Thailand

Re: Any Tips for a Colombia Trip?

Postby WorldTraveler » Fri May 01, 2015 6:57 am

zacb, I'm sure you'll have fun with your GF, but I think you can't experience it the same way with her there. How can you tell if the girls are friendly?

Droid, how long you been living in Columbia? You speak Spanish? I'm thining about taking advantage of the cheap Spirit flights too.
WorldTraveler
Junior Poster
 
Posts: 659
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:46 pm

Re: Any Tips for a Colombia Trip?

Postby zacb » Sat May 02, 2015 11:57 am

I may have to postpone the trip a bit because of cost. (The bonus miles would not cover the ticket price). If it was not for an extra person I could probably go, but as it is some place I would actually consider moving to with my gf and it is a climate would like, I would like her to come with. On a positive note I will go back to Fort Lauderdale with my boo in December (one of the more nicer areas in the US in my opinion). For 200 bucks, you can fly 2 people round trip from Detroit to Ft. Lauderdale. In addition, I will be able to get my own place here pretty soon, I just need to drill down some details. This will provide me with an asset base that I can then use to travel and invest after a year of living in. The area I am in is starting to grow, but is starting to attract less desirable people from downstate, and it was boring to begin with, and only had the advantages of being a small town. Now it has neither the advantages of a small town or large city, thus I think it will be time to bounce soon. My goal is to get 3k of rental income within the next few years, which in most cases would be 2X margin of safety. This would get me close to 1k. Overall I am happy with my life moving forward, but the Colombia trip is a bit of a set back. My next trip will be to Colombia, but it will probably have to be later next year due to time off from work and savings. Regardless, I am still excited about Ft. Lauderdale and the house. I would like to thank silver surfer for the ideas and the encouragement to get into real estate.
The Daily Agorist, Learn to Live Independent of the System! http://www.theagoristreview.blogspot.com
zacb
Experienced Poster
 
Posts: 1510
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:33 am
Location: Michigan

Re: Any Tips for a Colombia Trip?

Postby zacb » Sat May 02, 2015 12:08 pm

WorldTraveler wrote:zacb, I'm sure you'll have fun with your GF, but I think you can't experience it the same way with her there. How can you tell if the girls are friendly?

Droid, how long you been living in Columbia? You speak Spanish? I'm thining about taking advantage of the cheap Spirit flights too.


If you don't mind some setbacks, Spirit is chill. But if you are flying out of Detroit, note it normally gets dropped on the way back. As for Colombia, I get that I will not understand the dating scene, but Colombia is good for more than just that. The temperature alone puts it ahead of other spots like Florida. It is also good for business, and is family friendly, which is really important. They also allow home education, which is under siege in the US. In all honesty my GF could probably pass as someone from there ( she is tall and African American, very slim , could probably pass as Cartagenian). So I am already ahead in terms of looks.
The Daily Agorist, Learn to Live Independent of the System! http://www.theagoristreview.blogspot.com
zacb
Experienced Poster
 
Posts: 1510
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:33 am
Location: Michigan


Return to General Discussions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests