Why White [s]expats hate Asian men

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
Traveler
Freshman Poster

Re: Why White [s]expats hate Asian men

Post by Traveler »

Yohan wrote:
Traveler wrote: ...there were 4 young Koreans ahead of us. One guy was off to the side smoking and spitting all over the sidewalk while his friends ordered.
I hate that. The spitting thing is, in my opinion, disgusting and absolutely unnecessary. One inhale, one exhale, one spit.

I stepped up to dude and told him to stop, it was ignorant. No one else was doing it and it showed a total lack of respect for the culture of the country. He said something in Korean that certainly sounded disrespectful to me. I shoved him in the chest really hard and he fell on his butt. Then I challenged him, Get up punk. I dare ya. You can't go running to the cops ...
I would be careful and not do that as a Western foreigner in any Asian country.

There are cases known where Western foreigners were provoking and attacking Asian locals out of whatever reason and where those locals responded in a very violent counter-attack, not only alone but in a group, not only with glass-bottles and metal-bars, but also with knives (Thai) and even guns (Filipinos).

About Koreans you also should be careful, they are known to accept/tolerate some violence against their own person from parents, teachers, police, class-mates, co-workers - violence is a part of daily life in Korea.

However if a Korean - all of them, men, women and children - feel 'too much is too much', he or she might change suddenly from tolerating/passive to an extremely aggressive/violent mood from one moment to the other. This violent reaction 'irascibility out of nothing' of Koreans is well-known in Japan too and makes them differently from Japanese people. Do not start a fight with Korean people, just a warning!
I know what you mean. Koreans have hot tempers and can suddenly explode with rage over minor issues. Just last night I heard two Koreans screaming at and cursing each other. I heard "shibal" and "gaesekkiya' (swear words) multiple times. This went on for at least 10 - 15 minutes and I could hear everything from my 5th floor apartment because they were so loud. Nothing out of the ordinary for Koreans though.

I'd be most concerned about the legal repercussions if I got into a fight here. Korean cops don't have a reputation of being fair to foreigners. I read about a Canadian teacher who got into a few fights in Korea. He was fined about $8,000. He tried to leave Korea, but they told him at the airport that he had to pay the fine first. He said he didn't have the money so they told him he had to go to jail. He spent about five months in jail before he was allowed to leave the country.

"The Korean judicial system is racist and classist, according to David Tz who was imprisoned for five months for an 8 million Won ($8,000) debt. David Tz was jailed at a rate of 50,000 won per day until the debt was paid off, which amounted to 160 days."
http://www.koreaobserver.com/convict-sa ... ison-25440
chanta76
Experienced Poster

Post by chanta76 »

Traveler,

We get it . You hate koreans and think that koreans are all racist...

Than why you still in korea..? If at all your still there? What couldnt get any love from a korean girl and bitter too.

I met other expats that are lifers in korea. They ended up liking it over there.
chanta76
Experienced Poster

Post by chanta76 »

Traveler,

I have to add i can tell horror stories of how rude and racist americans can be or how the justice system here in the states can be racist toward people of color.

Or about the stories of how japan can be very racist toward other asians or how chinese tourist can be rude and loud. Etc...every group had them.

Me thinks korea didnt work out for you and so your bitter. Leave the country than. Its like posters here are bitter about life in america but not all left.
Dragon
Junior Poster

Post by Dragon »

chanta76 wrote:Traveler,

I have to add i can tell horror stories of how rude and racist americans can be or how the justice system here in the states can be racist toward people of color.

Or about the stories of how japan can be very racist toward other asians or how chinese tourist can be rude and loud. Etc...every group had them.

Me thinks korea didnt work out for you and so your bitter. Leave the country than. Its like posters here are bitter about life in america but not all left.
Everyone hates everyones. Welp, let's call it a day folks!
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

Dragon wrote:
chanta76 wrote:Traveler,

Everyone hates everyones. Welp, let's call it a day folks!
But don't whine about a country and then stay there for several years--complaining about the place the whole time you're there. I know so many annoying expats like that--and they sound so pathetic. There's plenty of White countries for him to go to, anyway. Like I've said before, I don't think Mexicans should whine about racism in America when they're here illegally. Same with immigrants (legal and illegal) to Europe, such as Muslims and Africans, when we all know Europe is a White continent (and should definitely stay that way, unlike what most Jewish supremacists think).

No one has a right to change a country and it's culture, when they're a foreigner or immigrant to a country. How would an African person feel when suddenly hordes of Whites show up to their countries demanding social justice and grievances addressed to them? It would be patently ridiculous, of course. Just the same with Muslims and Africans whining about racism in Europe, when most racially aware people know it's a White dominated Continent. Even Asians have no right to complain about White countries when we all know those places are hostile to Asian men, yet they choose to go and live there.Those Asians trying to change White countries are just as stupid and bad as Traveller.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

I guess I don't understand Traveller, because almost all of the expats I've met loved or want to go back to Korea. And they range from White, Jewish, Arab to Black. It's usually the douche bags that have trouble living in Asia, because they end up getting the shit kicked out of them by locals, who don't appreciate their nonsense.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

Traveler wrote: I know what you mean. Koreans have hot tempers and can suddenly explode with rage over minor issues.
I'd be most concerned about the legal repercussions if I got into a fight here. Korean cops don't have a reputation of being fair to foreigners.
It is difficult for police not to blame the person who was hitting another one without being provoked.
Traveler wrote:
...there were 4 young Koreans ahead of us. One guy was off to the side smoking and spitting all over the sidewalk while his friends ordered.
I hate that. The spitting thing is, in my opinion, disgusting and absolutely unnecessary. One inhale, one exhale, one spit.

I stepped up to dude and told him to stop, it was ignorant. No one else was doing it and it showed a total lack of respect for the culture of the country. He said something in Korean that certainly sounded disrespectful to me. I shoved him in the chest really hard and he fell on his butt. Then I challenged him, Get up punk. I dare ya. You can't go running to the cops ...
-----
About the other case in the link, it's his own fault, expired visa alone is a reason for being arrested, fined and deported. To compare somebody who is rich and is refusing to repay debts with somebody who is beating up another person does not make any sense to me.

Local people with money will always be treated differently than foreigners without money, not only in South Korea, as they can bail out and can pay for their legal defense council. Same everywhere worldwide.

-----

What writes this other person, what are his complaints?
The first occurred when his ex-wife was insulted by another Korean girl and they started fighting.

“She called [my wife] a Yankee whore in Korean. People crowded around. Those two girls are going at it. This girl’s boyfriend goes off on me. This guy is on my stomach punching me. The policeman is watching this. As soon as I start punching back he arrested me for assault.”

David complained about this case to the Seoul Metropolitan Police Agency and these officers from Bupyeong Police Station were then under investigation.
I do not see anything wrong with this case above...but see below:
case 1:
Two weeks later David said he was pushed to boiling point again when a drunk Korean man kicked his dog.
As I walk by he kicks my dog. So I f***ing went off on him. I beat the crap out of him.
To beat up a drunk man for kicking your dog will bring you in troubles also in USA, not only in South Korea.
case 2:
I asked a Korean dude to leave me alone...
He just got more aggressive and more aggressive so eventually I punched him. Coz I hit him first, of course I was charged.”
Yes, of course, what else do you expect police to do?
The third and last time David was charged he had passed out in a doorway in Itaewon.
“I was shaken awake abruptly and I thought I was being mugged. So I punched him. They charged me with assaulting a police officer and that was a four thousand dollar fine. I did not know he was a cop.”

Despite not having a visa, David was released from the police station after the last charge.

His wife had gone to America to be with her boyfriend and had filed for divorce.
When he attempted to leave Korea he was stopped at immigration as his F6 visa had been revoked due to his divorce.
What will be happen to this man if he is a Korean and is doing the same in USA? Honestly? Do you think, US-police will smile and he can walk away? Boarding an international plane?
His own comment:
David Tz • 4 months ago

I didn't know the cases were unresolved until I tried to leave. At the time of the infractions, I was taken to a police station told to sign some papers and let go. In hindsight, I should have been more aware of what I was signing. I did receive some papers in the mail, but I had no idea who they were from or what they said because they were all in Korean, and without my ex-wife to translate them, I just threw them out, not realizing what they pertained to or what they meant.
His problem, sorry, If he is signing something he cannot read, if he is throwing away letters he cannot read...
He can only blame himself...

I can only add, such foreigners - unable to control themselves AND without money - will find themselves in troubles almost everywhere in this world. This has nothing to do with Asia or race-related issues.
chanta76
Experienced Poster

Post by chanta76 »

traveler,

Yohan nailed on the mark. There are expats who have a tough time living in Asia and if they can't do it they blame it on the locals and think it's all about racism. I grew up in USA all my life and I can tell you the horror stories of racism that happened to me and to other Asians. It's funny you just want to single out Korea when many countries are not too dissimilar. There are stories of expats who complain about Japan racism or stories of how other asians don't like japan or chinese etc..etc.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

I can only say, that I never felt being 'discriminated' to be a major issue for me as a foreigner in Japan, Philippines and Thailand. These 3 countries are my home for work and my Japanese family (Tokyo), for my Filipina fosterdaughter (Cebu) and for our retirement (Pattaya/Jomtien) since more than 3 decades.

I am also visiting sometimes Malaysia, Cambodia etc... but only for a few days to be with some Chinese friends or as tourist.

I have to accept the fact that any local person who sees me will consider me as 'foreigner'. Even local people who know me well, because I look totally differently from them, speak a different native language etc. etc. Nothing wrong with this. And so what? I can live with that. This is Asia and not Europe.

Of course there are always a few people everywhere who do not like foreigners - in such a very rare case I always move on. No comment. No discussion. No quarrel. No fights. Never see you again. But as I said, such a situation is very very rare, maybe one time in one year or so....

If you are in Asia as a Western man, you can do a lot by yourself to avoid troubles.

Keep your documents in order, never overstay your visa to avoid troubles with authorities.

Never show up fully drunk in public, never use illegal drugs in Asia, be patient about misunderstandings as Asian languages are often difficult and very different from Western languages and not everybody speaks English or French in Asia fluently etc. etc. be careful when approaching women, especially if they are minors, if you have a vehicle keep it in good condition and insurance and tax paid etc. etc. Do not touch anything in Buddhist and Hindu temples, take pictures of such places and of people only after asking for permission, don't shout around with locals if something does not work out as expected, show up at least with a T-shirt when going away from the swimming pool or beach...

There is no justification to claim discrimination for bad behavior as some foreigners do when they are breaking the law or totally ignore local customs.
Traveler
Freshman Poster

Post by Traveler »

Did anyone see that TMZ video that went viral in Korea? Koreans' reactions to it show how self centered and hypocritical Koreans can be. They grow up in a nation sheltered from racism and interracial conflict. Then they hear about one of their kpop stars experiencing a very minor amount of racism in the US and they start screaming about the "injustice". Meanwhile, many minorities in Korea continue to be treated like crap. You would think that people who laugh at black face on television wouldn't be so sensitive about a Korean's English getting mocked on American television. They can certainly dish it out, but they can't take it.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

Traveler wrote:..... many minorities in Korea continue to be treated like crap.
Which minorities? The only 2 'minority groups' which come to my mind are Koreans with Chinese citizenship and US-citizens.
96 percent of the South Korean population are indeed Koreans holding South Korean citizenship.
South Korea is a very homogeneous society in Asia.

There are also mainland-Chinese in South Korea, it should be noticed however that many of them are illegal immigrants.

About discrimination in South Korea, most discrimination is among the Koreans themselves. North/South Korea relationship remains a serious problem, also here in Japan between the North and South Koreans residents.