Why are Filipinos so stupid?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
joesixpack
Freshman Poster

Re: Why are Filipinos so stupid?

Post by joesixpack »

Not sure how anyone can argue with the assertation that Filipinos are just not very smart, on average. 1 in 5 are borderline mentally retarded, and even most college grads are barely up to 100 IQ. And their EQ scores must be even worse, seeing how most of them behave several years younger than they are, even with many adults acting very childish. One might even think growing up here would encourage common sense learning or develop street-smarts, but wrong again.

Why is this? It begins early with poor nutrition, lack of sleep in infancy, and bad parenting. Filipinos spoil their kids way too much, and hinder their cognitive development. They don't encourage independence with feeding, movement, learning. They treat them like little dolls, coddle them and it's short-sighted. Usually the parent isn't even involved, as Lola, Auntie, or a yaya cater to every need and whim of the kid.

Unfortunately, by grade six, many of them have to drop out of school to work or watch the younger siblings. Most provincial schools have twice the number of kids in 2nd grade as in 6th grade. If the kid is still in school and earning high marks, he will be shamed and bullied relentlessly by the other kids for actually trying to get ahead in life. That's not acceptable in the land of crabs. Everyone must stay on the same dull level, or else.

All of this and more results in many Filipinos not striving for excellence or even being encouraged to do so. It's more admirable here to be clever than smart. Be able to manipulate others and get over on someone, rather than to actually have a thirst for knowledge. It's that social corruption again and a product of the culture rather than an innate stupidity. Filipinos have the potential to be as smart as anyone, but much like becoming a considerate, polite, respectful person....there's just no merit in that here.

btw, this is Filipinos, in general. Hopefully all of you with mensa-candidate genius-level relatives and friends won't feel insulted. :D
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

davewe wrote:
publicduende wrote:
cdnFA wrote:OTOH if you live in a place filled with slobbering morons like the PI seems to be as well as moochers and people who would whore their daughters out to avoid having to work you might get a bit judgemental pretty fast.
The things you just mentioned happen because of poverty and ignorance, which are still endemic in the Philippines, but so are in a bunch of other countries in Latin America, Africa, Asia.

Singling out the Philippines, which is actually one of the fastest-improving countries in this bracket, is unfair.

If you, like several other posters here, have found nothing but dumb as rock girls (and their destitute families) in your journey to the Philippines, it's perhaps because you visited with no real intention to discover the culture, and were happy to mingle with the first few young ladies met on a dating site.

It takes patience and time, a lot of time, to discover the best of Filipino people. As MarcosZeitola or Outwest might agree on, the pleasure of succeeding in doing so might be incommensurate to the effort.
And the truth is it doesn't take that much effort, just the desire to discover the Filipino culture. I am on a bunch of Philippines expat forums (a guilty pleasure) and in most cases it is the expats who are dumb as rocks. Seriously, with some of these guys it's amazing that they are able to live in their own culture, let alone a foreign one.

There are a million examples but here's one tiny one I have heard multiple times, including here on HA. "The girls are so stupid they can't even get he/she right. They refer to their girlfriend as he or their father as she. What morons!" In reality the use of personal pronouns in Filipino languages is not the same as in English. Saying "Ibibigay ko sa kaniyá," means "I will give it to him/her." So when they learn English, a language with very distinct he/she differences, it's a challenge.

But then again, the expat or tourist has to want to understand the differences and for many it's more fun to simply say they're all idiots, but cute idiots who will sleep with us. One of the joys of being married to someone from a very different culture is learning the differences. But that's something mongers are not interested in.
Thats a great point. What I've noticed in general is that the language or dialect people speak from a very early age and/or most frequently often contaminate, to a superficial degree, the way they speak a second language which they may also be fluent in.

A couple examples:

In Jamaica, a country with similar mean IQ as Phils, I noticed a lot of very fluent English speakers use 'me' where they should use 'I' due to influence of Jamaican Creole.

In Taiwan where people on average much more intelligent than in Phils, those who speak English well often make the same 'he' and 'she' error in speaking as they do in Phils since in both Mandarin and Hokkien, the pronouns for he, she, and it sound exactly the same.

According to Wikipedia, Phils. has the 6th largest number of English speakers in the world after USA, India, Pakistan, Nigeria, and UK with a fluency rate of 63%.

I think this 63% figure is plausible because I've often encountered Filipinos in all three areas (Luzon, Visayas, and Mindinao) who seemed unable to speak or comprehend English. Also, keep in mind that roughly 16% of the population falls below the 71 IQ mark if the country IQ bell curve data of mean 86 and SD 15 is accurate. Most of this below 1 SD segment probably did not grasp much in school nor become fluent in English.
joesixpack
Freshman Poster

Post by joesixpack »

No offense anyone, but It's not exactly delving deep into the Filipino culture to understand the problem they have with gender pronouns. What demonstrates a lack of intelligence, on their part, is the inability to learn the correct usage after repeated instruction. No matter how you slice it or make excuses for them, Filipino are simply not as intelligent as their western counterparts, by any measure.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

joesixpack wrote:No offense anyone, but It's not exactly delving deep into the Filipino culture to understand the problem they have with gender pronouns. What demonstrates a lack of intelligence, on their part, is the inability to learn the correct usage after repeated instruction. No matter how you slice it or make excuses for them, Filipino are simply not as intelligent as their western counterparts, by any measure.
As a whole based on thousands of my own anecdotes living here, I tend to agree. But while that applies to the masses as a whole, it doesn't apply to the intellectual cream here. People in that group tends to be Chinese or have a lot of of Chinese, Spanish, or other outside admixture. This group which probably comprises anywhere from 2% to as high as 10% or more of the total population depending on how loose you allow it to be defined, should probably have a separate IQ distribution in order to get closer to a real bell curve. Otherwise, you get a distorted 2 hump curve, similar to what you might get in the US military by plotting heights and including the minority of women who are in general noticeably shorter.

However, I'm not sure I agree with you on EQ. I find again, in my personal experience, that Filipinas are much more controlled and composed than white Anglo and esp. black Anglo women who publicly loose their temper so easily. I'm actually still working on toning down my outward public behavior to better fit in with civil polite and respectful local norms.
joesixpack
Freshman Poster

Post by joesixpack »

Rock wrote:
However, I'm not sure I agree with you on EQ. I find again, in my personal experience, that Filipinas are much more controlled and composed than white Anglo and esp. black Anglo women who publicly loose their temper so easily. I'm actually still working on toning down my outward public behavior to better fit in with civil polite and respectful local norms.
The Filipino passive-aggressive nature is much more cultural than a reflection of maturity. Most foreigners get blinded by the beauty and attention they are receiving and disregard the obvious signals. But yeah, it's best to learn to bite your tongue while living here. Just be like the locals....cordial, polite, and decent......and completely fake. Just like middle school. :lol:
MarcosZeitola
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MarcosZeitola »

joesixpack wrote:No offense anyone, but It's not exactly delving deep into the Filipino culture to understand the problem they have with gender pronouns. What demonstrates a lack of intelligence, on their part, is the inability to learn the correct usage after repeated instruction. No matter how you slice it or make excuses for them, Filipino are simply not as intelligent as their western counterparts, by any measure.
The gender pronouns thing just has to do with their language. And it's not just Filipinos who do this - I have known very educated foreigners in my country of origin, Turks, Iranians, all of them university educated who continue to have trouble with pronouns. My Filipino wife, who went to UP Dilliman, taught English to Japanese and has a great vocabulary in English, speaking the language almost fluently, and she still sometimes messes up pronouns. I have seen too many otherwise smart people do this, to blame this on intelligence and not on language. Of course another factor could be that I am not a native English speaker myself, which causes me to sympathise more. Not all languages have gendered pronouns, after all. Those who come from a country that has none, grew up speaking a country lacking these, will have problems regardless of how bright they are.
On "Faux-Tradionalists" and why they're heading nowhere: viewtopic.php?style=1&f=37&t=29144
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

joesixpack wrote:
Rock wrote:
The Filipino passive-aggressive nature is much more cultural than a reflection of maturity. Most foreigners get blinded by the beauty and attention they are receiving and disregard the obvious signals. But yeah, it's best to learn to bite your tongue while living here. Just be like the locals....cordial, polite, and decent......and completely fake. Just like middle school. :lol:
Nothing to do with attention. I usually get ignored here anyway. I just find people to be very controlled in public here, similar to Japan of all places. Thailand is like that too to a degree if you get away from areas with foreigners. In contrast, you often see a lot of annoying public yelling and arguing from petty conflicts in so much of China. And in the US, people are generally polite but they loose it a lot more often and sometimes it gets ugly fast.

Being composed, polite, and patient is more of a virtue than a vice IMO.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on May 24th, 2018, 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
joesixpack
Freshman Poster

Post by joesixpack »

Ghost wrote: That happens with lots of groups who learned English as a foreign language.

Doesn't Tagalog use the same word for "he" and "she"? ("Siya" IIRC.) And then considering how he/she are similar, that would likely explain it. Same problem with Chinese. One word means he/she/it. (Written with different characters but the exact same sound when spoken.)

There's a lot to say about the lack of apparent intelligence in the country, but this isn't one of them.
I didn't bring up the he/she gender confusion issue, but its ridiculous to defend it. That was my point. I'm beginning to think most of you guys are as stubbornly defensive of all things Filipino as an actual Filipino is. And there's your real reason Filipinos are dumb and continue to stay that way....they already know everything. 8)
MarcosZeitola
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MarcosZeitola »

joesixpack wrote:I didn't bring up the he/she gender confusion issue, but its ridiculous to defend it. That was my point. I'm beginning to think most of you guys are as stubbornly defensive of all things Filipino as an actual Filipino is. And there's your real reason Filipinos are dumb and continue to stay that way....they already know everything. 8)
Meanwhile you seem to hate them with the burning intensity a Klan-member hates black people and Jews with... why is that? How badly a Filipino f**k you over to make you have such a major irrational hate boner for everything Filipino? lol
On "Faux-Tradionalists" and why they're heading nowhere: viewtopic.php?style=1&f=37&t=29144
joesixpack
Freshman Poster

Post by joesixpack »

MarcosZeitola wrote:
joesixpack wrote:I didn't bring up the he/she gender confusion issue, but its ridiculous to defend it. That was my point. I'm beginning to think most of you guys are as stubbornly defensive of all things Filipino as an actual Filipino is. And there's your real reason Filipinos are dumb and continue to stay that way....they already know everything. 8)
Meanwhile you seem to hate them with the burning intensity a Klan-member hates black people and Jews with... why is that? How badly a Filipino f**k you over to make you have such a major irrational hate boner for everything Filipino? lol
lol....i'm sure i'm doing better than you here. I don't hate Filipinos, and I certainly see them in a more balanced manner than you view the USA. Who screwed you there? lol I won't stoop to your level but with all your hatred for other expat and crab mentality, I can see how you get along so well with Filipinos. btw, everyone here knows your posts are completely full of shit...good day!
MarcosZeitola
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MarcosZeitola »

joesixpack wrote:lol....i'm sure i'm doing better than you here. I don't hate Filipinos, and I certainly see them in a more balanced manner than you view the USA. Who screwed you there? lol I won't stoop to your level but with all your hatred for other expat and crab mentality, I can see how you get along so well with Filipinos. btw, everyone here knows your posts are completely full of shit...good day!
First of all, I am not from the USA so there's that. I have actually written in the past of a relative of mine who went to America, married an American girl and is completely happy there so I'm not one of those "America is the evil empire" folks anyway.

Second of all, it's always the same posters, the same pattern, who come here and cry about how all Filipinos suck. It's always a new account, like you, and 9 out of 10 times the admins do an IP check and it turns out they are the alternative account of a formerly banned member. The same thing happened to this threads OP, who simply "vanished" into thin air after a few posts. It's trolling, plain and simple. We had several posters here who claimed to be Americans and who turned out to actually be Filipinos. One, Newlifephilippines, even went so far as to pretend to be an American sexpat tourist only to be exposed as a Filipina with mental problems. :lol: The one thing all these people seem to have in common, is that they are self-hating Filipinos.

Thirdly, I love how you mention the word "crab mentality". It's one of the favorite words of Filipino people, it's where I picked up its use. Are you perhaps the self-hating Filipino stereotype? Quite a common sight nowadays on the internet, especially among OFWs desperately trying to distance themselves from everything Pinoy.

You're just a low-effort troll and I bet my balls you are most likely either a Filipino yourself, or a very disgruntled expat with some major issues.
joesixpack
Freshman Poster

Post by joesixpack »

MarcosZeitola wrote:
joesixpack wrote:lol....i'm sure i'm doing better than you here. I don't hate Filipinos, and I certainly see them in a more balanced manner than you view the USA. Who screwed you there? lol I won't stoop to your level but with all your hatred for other expat and crab mentality, I can see how you get along so well with Filipinos. btw, everyone here knows your posts are completely full of shit...good day!
First of all, I am not from the USA so there's that. I have actually written in the past of a relative of mine who went to America, married an American girl and is completely happy there so I'm not one of those "America is the evil empire" folks anyway.

Second of all, it's always the same posters, the same pattern, who come here and cry about how all Filipinos suck. It's always a new account, like you, and 9 out of 10 times the admins do an IP check and it turns out they are the alternative account of a formerly banned member. The same thing happened to this threads OP, who simply "vanished" into thin air after a few posts. It's trolling, plane and simple. We had several posters here who claimed to be Americans and who turned out to actually be Filipinos. One, Newlifephilippines, even went so far as to pretend to be an American sexpat tourist only to be exposed as a Filipina with mental problems. :lol:

Thirdly, I love how you mention the word "crab mentality". It's one of the favorite words of Filipino people, it's where I picked up its use. Are you perhaps the self-hating Filipino stereotype? Quite a common sight nowadays on the internet, especially among OFWs desperately trying to distance themselves from everything Pinoy.

You're just a low-effort troll and I bet my balls you are most likely either a Filipino yourself, or a very disgruntled expat with some major issues.
You're taking this way too seriously.....and it's either comical or sad...not sure. I've been giving a balanced opinion of the Philippines, but if that's too 'negative for your delusional, rose colored existence, then too bad. My life here has been good, and I'm a realist. So in your terms, my stay has been ridiculously awesome! There's a few others here that aren't included in your circle jerk of bullshit, so I will stay a while and add some levity and reality. Carry on....you're really exposing yourself....it's good for a laugh. :wink:
Johnny1975
Experienced Poster

Post by Johnny1975 »

joesixpack wrote:
Ghost wrote: That happens with lots of groups who learned English as a foreign language.

Doesn't Tagalog use the same word for "he" and "she"? ("Siya" IIRC.) And then considering how he/she are similar, that would likely explain it. Same problem with Chinese. One word means he/she/it. (Written with different characters but the exact same sound when spoken.)

There's a lot to say about the lack of apparent intelligence in the country, but this isn't one of them.

I didn't bring up the he/she gender confusion issue, but its ridiculous to defend it. That was my point. I'm beginning to think most of you guys are as stubbornly defensive of all things Filipino as an actual Filipino is. And there's your real reason Filipinos are dumb and continue to stay that way....they already know everything. 8)
I was reading this thread, and it was all going well, and here's where it suddenly and inexplicably went downhill.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on May 24th, 2018, 8:50 am, edited 2 times in total.