Why forced tipping/gratuity in America is unethical, illogical, & infringes on free will!

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
Banano
Veteran Poster

Re: Why do Americans love to overtip and give to charities?

Post by Banano »

Signet
Freshman Poster

Post by Signet »

Because waiters and other such people in the service business are paid below minimum wage with the excuse 'you will make it up in tips,' and anybody who has ever worked in that industry at all, for any length of time, probably has some sympathy for people still there.

Because Americans don't really tend to have communities and don't like random social interaction, it's something pseudo-friendly (and fairly passive, in that waiters/servers aren't supposed to talk to you about it) that people are able to do in order to feel like they're being 'neighborly,' without having to go through the trouble of actually talking to strangers.
Teal Lantern
Veteran Poster

Post by Teal Lantern »

не поглеждай назад. 8)

"Even an American judge is unlikely to award child support for imputed children." - FredOnEverything
Winston
Site Admin

Re: Why do Americans love to overtip and give big tips?

Post by Winston »

I don't understand something.

Americans argue that if you abolish tipping in restaurants, then the restaurant owner will have to pay the service staff normal wages and increase the prices of the food in the restaurant. But then how come all the restaurants in Asia get by fine without tipping yet they still manage to keep prices low in most places?

In China for example, which has 5 times the population of the US, there are a gazillion restaurants and canteens where someone brings you food, ranging from very cheap to very expensive. Yet Chinese customers do not tip and the waiters don't complain and the economy gets by fine. How do Americans explain that? It seems that Americans only see things from the context of America being the whole world and fail to consider such things.

Obviously, something must be very off balance and screwed up in America for tipping to be required, when it is not in most other countries. Why can't America just copy the rest of the world and not require tipping?

Besides, it's not like restaurant prices in the US are low. No way. They are very high already. So how does the tipping system keep prices down if they are not even low but very high? Restaurant items now start at $10 a dish, even if the food sucks. Ok yeah I heard that waiters in the US get almost no flat wage and have to earn all their income from tips. Now that's weird. So why don't they abolish that and pay them a normal salary like in the rest of the world does without a problem? America is friggin weird.

I hate it when Americans feel sympathy toward waiters and insist on giving them big tips. Some have even forced me to give big tips as though it were an obligation and sin not to. Wtf? Americans are weird. Why should I give someone a tip for doing their job? Especially if they did nothing extra beyond their job? It doesn't make sense and sounds like just a way to scam people out of extra money by making it a "custom". This tipping shit is one of the all American things that I hate. Other all American things I don't agree with and hate are listed here:

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=28650
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
chanta76
Experienced Poster

Re: The stupidity of big tipping and gratuity customs in Ame

Post by chanta76 »

Winston,

It's a culture thing. In Asia they don't tip because service is included but in the USA the thinking is you have to pay for service. I mean since your in Asia you notice how they service you and they go sometimes up and beyond. But in the USA getting customer service is like pulling a teeth. Americans are just more selfish and self centered. Hence why American women are sooo full of it but this also applies to American men being so full of it.

Wish we had a WW3 to power sift things or Alien from another planet comes and destroy everything starting with the west.
josephty1
Freshman Poster

Re: The stupidity of big tips and gratuity customs in Americ

Post by josephty1 »

Deleted
Last edited by josephty1 on July 27th, 2018, 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Winston
Site Admin

Re: The stupidity of tipping and gratuity customs in America

Post by Winston »

El_Caudillo told me that in New Zealand, Australia and England, you don't have to tip people. So tipping is only the custom in America? Not even other western cultures require tips? How come America is so unique in this stupid custom?

What I hate is that you are expected to ENJOY tipping and tip generously as though you LOVE it! LOL WTF?! Why would I love such a stupid custom? Especially one that the rest of the world doesn't share? If tipping is necessary and good why don't other countries require it? Why doesn't England require it either? So stupid.

Congress should pass a bill abolishing this stupid tipping custom.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Moretorque »

Winston wrote:El_Caudillo told me that in New Zealand, Australia and England, you don't have to tip people. So tipping is only the custom in America? Not even other western cultures require tips? How come America is so unique in this stupid custom?

What I hate is that you are expected to ENJOY tipping and tip generously as though you LOVE it! LOL WTF?! Why would I love such a stupid custom? Especially one that the rest of the world doesn't share? If tipping is necessary and good why don't other countries require it? Why doesn't England require it either? So stupid.

Congress should pass a bill abolishing this stupid tipping custom.
COMMIE!
Time to Hide!
MattHanson1990
Junior Poster

Post by MattHanson1990 »

Down here in Mexico, people tip as well, but due to Mexicans' income levels usually being lower, they only tip wait staff at most around 10 Mexican pesos (50 cents). And Mexicans are more socially connected with one another while Americans drive in their shiny isolation boxes on wheels and are stuck in digital la-la land. But Mexico has apparently adopted a few American customs, including tipping, due to it being so close to the U.S. of Gay. However, the women here are a lot easier to get along with since Mexico is still a more traditional society.
Kradmelder
Experienced Poster

Post by Kradmelder »

We also tip. It is not compulsory by law though. Some places if you are a group of 10 or more they tag on a 'service charge'.10 to 15 percent.

It is a stupid Custom, but take it away and waiters would have to be paid more. Would restaurateurs really do that?
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Kradmelder wrote:We also tip. It is not compulsory by law though. Some places if you are a group of 10 or more they tag on a 'service charge'.10 to 15 percent.

It is a stupid Custom, but take it away and waiters would have to be paid more. Would restaurateurs really do that?
Its not compulsory in the US either but everyone will think your an asshole and terrible person if you dont do it.

Its not true that food prices would go up if tipping were abolished. Thats a total lie. In other countries prices are low yet you dont have to tip. In china service is fast and prices are low in restaurants yet you dont have to tip. So thats a bullshit american lie. Its not like restaurants in the US are cheap anyway. They are more expensive than ever.

Kradmelder
Experienced Poster

Post by Kradmelder »

Winston wrote:
Kradmelder wrote:We also tip. It is not compulsory by law though. Some places if you are a group of 10 or more they tag on a 'service charge'.10 to 15 percent.

Its not compulsory in the US either but everyone will think your an asshole and terrible person if you dont do it.

Its not true that food prices would go up if tipping were abolished. Thats a total lie. In other countries prices are low yet you dont have to tip. In china service is fast and prices are low in restaurants yet you dont have to tip. So thats a bullshit american lie. Its not like restaurants in the US are cheap anyway. They are more expensive than ever.
Ja in America the only affordable places if you have to eat out every meal are horrible fast food franchises and Mexican. Submarine sandwich places are good. The rest are awful. Rural diners are also affordable. Surprisingly Vegas has cheap good buffets.

Here it is reversed. A big Mac meal for R50 or a 500 g t bone for R99. It is a no Brainer what is value for money.

Europe is worse. Restaurants are crazy expensive. And try have a beer and restaurants meal in Norway. You will need a loan to pay the bill. I can't remember but I think they had a compulsory service charge tagged on. Aka a tip.

I shudder to think of the cost of a 500g or 1 kg steak in America or Europe. Even without the tip
Russian1860
Freshman Poster

Post by Russian1860 »

Kradmelder wrote:
Europe is worse. Restaurants are crazy expensive. And try have a beer and restaurants meal in Norway. You will need a loan to pay the bill. I can't remember but I think they had a compulsory service charge tagged on. Aka a tip.

I shudder to think of the cost of a 500g or 1 kg steak in America or Europe. Even without the tip
Regarding restaurant prices in Europe it depends on the country. Yes, restaurants in Norway are expensive, but they have one of the highest average salaries in the world.

In contrast to Northern Europe in Baltic countries (Latvia, Estonia, Lithuania) you can eat out at EUR 5-10 per person (USD 5,5-11; ZAR 77-155).

In Greece outside the tourist spots you can dine at EUR 7-12 per person (USD 8-13; ZAR 108-186) and the meal will include seafood, like octopus, greek salad and a liter of homemade white wine for each.
While in neighboring Italy, you can barely find a restaurant to dine less than EUR 20 per person (USD 22; ZAR 310)

France is quite expensive, but southern Europe like Spain or Portugal is not. Germany has quite moderate prices. You can have 400 gr (1 pound) steak there at EUR 15 (USD17; ZAR233).

As anywhere else in the world you should have some insight of the country to eat out for cheap. Let’s say in Vienna (Austria) they will charge you EUR 12 (USD13; ZAR186) for a mere cup of coffee at a restaurant, intended for tourists. And at the same time you can get 1 kg (2.5 pounds) of grilled beef at the same price in the outskirts of Vienna at Serbian restaurant.
Kradmelder
Experienced Poster

Post by Kradmelder »

I remember Poland as reasonable price but everywhere you must pay to use the toilet. Wtf. Except Macdonald. Poles took me around.

Germany I mostly ate at those bistro sandwich bars or in the brauhaus. Greece I was last there over 20 years ago so can't remember. Vienna was very expensive except those turk kebab stands or schnitzel places. Cool drink was almost as much as schnitzel. Spain and portugal were reasonable. All of my europe trips were business so I didn't pay put of pocket. I worked on 75 usd budget per day excluding accommodation. It makes it hard to remember except when I wandered off on my own. I had dinner with one Croatian girl who for some reason decided to hang around the south africans rather than her countrymen. It was in germany. I think it was becsuse we are totally non pc so she was laughing a lot. Europeans are too scared to speak. She was hot! Like if I made some comment I did not know the Ottoman invasion of the 1600s was successful and the Muslims overran europe. I learnt that prinz eugen and a handful of white men sent them packing. The serbs and croats would crack up laughing.

If I mentioned the word jews or blacks the Germans would run for cover faster than if I was a Muslim suicide bomber :and ooened my coat to show a bomb and yell allah akbar lol:
Russian1860
Freshman Poster

Post by Russian1860 »

Kradmelder wrote: If I mentioned the word jews or blacks the Germans would run for cover faster than if I was a Muslim suicide bomber :and ooened my coat to show a bomb and yell allah akbar lol:
In fact most germans are racists. But they were instilled, like nazism and racism is something, they have to be shy of to expose with outsiders. But it doesn’t mean they are tolerant. Current politics of Germany doesn’t represent the opinions of most germans, who are pissed off with inflow of muslim refugees, so it is just a matter of time when the key changes will take place.