Does Latin America have more single moms than the US?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
MattHanson1990
Junior Poster

Does Latin America have more single moms than the US?

Post by MattHanson1990 »

So last night I was attending the hostel owner's surprise birthday party at the hostel, and this one woman and I were discussing the problems in America like social disconnectedness and obesity. However, she told me that there are more single moms in Latin American countries than in the U.S. because Latin American women weren't educated to avoid early pregnancy. Well, we all know that there's a chalk full of single moms in the U.S. because of the high divorce rate; and most guys in the U.S. Are limited to dating single mothers or fatties. As far as I know, the U.S. has the most single moms of any developed country.

But is it true that there are more single mothers in Latin America than in the States?

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Does Latin America have more single moms than the US?

Post by djfourmoney »

You obviously didn't read one of my other post.

The less educated a population is the birth rate goes up. That does not mean more marriages just more babies... I also said unless you aim for upper class women, the majority of lower class and some middle class women will have at least one child and never been married or married young into a abusive relationship (sometimes to avoid lecherous advances from her father/step father).

What happens way too often is people take their first hand experiences and overlay them on what happens in another country. In other words, you are avoiding higher end women because you think they'll be the same as American educated women?

There is no empirical data to back up that assertion.

As the Air Force says "Aim High"

US is not chalk full of single mothers because of divorce, do you even read anything? The US is full of single mothers because there is no social stigma to being a single mother. I have forgotten, but a sizable amount of teenage pregnancy happens in his country. The majority of it in the Black and Brown communities, lots of these women AREN'T MARRIED, so where did you get this idea that divorce is the cause of single motherhood?

Also most men are not limited to anything; Like most things in the US people will take the easy route. You don't feel so bad if your lower middle class like all your friends, co-workers and they have fat wives too.

I am limited to whatever I limit myself too. Economics makes it harder for me to get quality women because I am honest about my situation. I live at home, that will automatically eliminate me from consideration by the majority of women period. The only women that might not care that much is immigrants especially if they come from a culture where people don't leave home until they get married.

Watch those generalizations...
onethousandknives
Junior Poster

Post by onethousandknives »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legitimacy_(family_law)

She is correct, unfortunately. In USA and Western Europe it is about 40% illegitimacy rate, but most of Latin America it is 60-70%.
Latin America has the highest rates of non-marital childbearing in the world (55–74% of all children in this region are born to unmarried parents).[56] In most countries in this traditionally Catholic region, children born outside marriage are now the norm. Recent figures from Latin America show non-marital births to be 74% in Colombia, 70% in Paraguay, 69% in Peru, 63% in the Dominican Republic, 58% in Argentina, 55% in Mexico.[57][58][59] In Brazil, non-marital births increased to 65.8% in 2009, up from 56.2% in 2000.[60] In Chile, non-marital births increased to 70.7% in 2013, up from 48.3% in 2000.[61]

Even in the early 1990s, the phenomenon was very common in Latin America. For example, in 1993, out-of-wedlock births in Mexico were 41.5%, in Chile 43.6%, in Puerto Rico 45.8%, in Costa Rica 48.2%, in Argentina 52.7%, in Belize 58.1%, in El Salvador 73%, in Suriname 66% and in Panama 80%.[62]
Anyway, that's statistics. East Asia has only about a 5% rate, and that's where I wanna go. Also, notably, in the 1950s, the illegitimacy rate in USA was also only 5%. I don't quite understand the reasoning why some choose Latin America on this board, especially in light of this, but whatever.
droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by droid »

MattHanson1990 wrote:But is it true that there are more single mothers in Latin America than in the States
Yes
1)Too much of one thing defeats the purpose.
2)Everybody is full of it. What's your hypocrisy?
Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Moretorque »

There just FN animals, the kids are a After thought.
Time to Hide!
WorldTraveler
Experienced Poster

Post by WorldTraveler »

One reason it is so hard to get a woman in the USA is there is no stigma being a single mother. In fact the government also steps in to provide services for these single mothers, therefore making men even less important. The Welfare State: we men get to pay for it, but get no benefits from it.

Philippines has 37% of all births outside of marriage. No quite as bad as the good ole US of A.

Here's a good video on the topic that gives all the numbers and info.

https://youtu.be/o1xf78EltKM
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on February 14th, 2020, 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MattHanson1990
Junior Poster

Post by MattHanson1990 »

Ghost wrote:Matt, although LA has more single moms, you need to consider why this is. In the U.S., we pretty much have the worst possible system: the government subsidizes single moms and sluts. In poorer countries such as in LA, the Philippines, and others, there are many single moms but they are not subsidized by the government (which would probably be too inept to do that anyway.) The way their system works, most women are losing their virginity young and becoming single moms early on in life. Poorer countries virtually always have higher birthrates and this is what is happening. The takeaway is that if you want to find a woman worth marrying there, you will want to find a younger one. By their early 20s, most of them will either not be virgins anymore or already have kids.

Like look for teenagers?

Is it also the same case with Eastern Europe, Russia, and Ukraine?
MattHanson1990
Junior Poster

Post by MattHanson1990 »

Ghost wrote:Matt, although LA has more single moms, you need to consider why this is. In the U.S., we pretty much have the worst possible system: the government subsidizes single moms and sluts. In poorer countries such as in LA, the Philippines, and others, there are many single moms but they are not subsidized by the government (which would probably be too inept to do that anyway.) The way their system works, most women are losing their virginity young and becoming single moms early on in life. Poorer countries virtually always have higher birthrates and this is what is happening. The takeaway is that if you want to find a woman worth marrying there, you will want to find a younger one. By their early 20s, most of them will either not be virgins anymore or already have kids.
Most importantly, I'm looking for a girl who's a giver and not a taker. And I was wondering if the single moms in third world countries are also takers instead of givers. I'm avoiding takers this time around, especially since my film score gig got cancelled, and now I'm left with no other options for making a living other than TEFL.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on February 14th, 2020, 5:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

-----

Post by Ghost »

-----
Last edited by Ghost on October 24th, 2016, 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by E Irizarry R&B Singer »

Although we know you speak about Latin America, please use Iberoamerica, LatAm, but not L.A. Get it???? LatAm > Los Angeles. LMAO

By the way, this is a very, good post. AJA (All jokes aside)
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by fschmidt »

onethousandknives wrote:She is correct, unfortunately. In USA and Western Europe it is about 40% illegitimacy rate, but most of Latin America it is 60-70%.
These numbers aren't entirely meaningful because many people in Latin America (at least Mexico which I know) consider themselves married but never bother to get a government licence. So there simply aren't accurate statistics, which means we can't really answer the question in the original post.
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by djfourmoney »

In the Dominican Republic that is likely the case but honestly the only thing one needs to do is move upmarket.

You want women from a similar economic and educational background. If you consider yourself educated (I don't remember stat but a majority of poor Latins have to quit school to support the family) then you want the same don't you?

Education is directly related to opportunities; America's Capitalistic economy rewards risk taking and a fair amount of work (not physical labor; time). Lots of people in LA work hard and get hardly anything in return.

Men going overseas should be going up the social ladder not hanging out with the poor/working poor which is what the majority are doing and wouldn't do in the US....