Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.

Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

Another website shutdown

Discuss and talk about any general topic.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Another website shutdown

Postby Tsar » Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:25 am

One of my favorite free streaming websites was just shutdown. I'd say it would be on my Top 15 entertainment websites. I would go to it when I wanted to listen to some specific albums or tracks that aren't easily purchased by common people or easy to find, it had a few albums or tracks that were removed by youtube, and now it's gone. I guess it's because I don't really listen to anything that is popular among most Americans or known about by most Americans.

Here's the link so you can see the message. This one ended in a settlement.
http://listen.grooveshark.com/

I don't think I have been on it since April 30 since I visited very sporadically since early Spring. I haven't visited many websites for awhile.

Interestingly one of the co-founders was found dead in his home almost two months later. The autospy found no explanation for the cause of death.
http://www.gainesville.com/article/20150720/ARTICLES/150729990?tc=ar
Tsar
Experienced Poster

Re: Another website shutdown

Postby Ghost » Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:09 pm

This was f***ing ridiculous. Grooveshark had some stuff I couldn't even always find on other sites, even YouTube sometimes. And it was a godsend for living in China, where you can't access YouTube without a VPN. Yet somehow Grooveshark managed to stay around for a decade without getting shutdown. Wonder how they got by for so long?
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Tsar » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:06 pm

Esnips was another streaming website with unique music uploads. I visited it less than youtube and the others, it also disappeared from the internet. I don't know when but it might have been a founder disagreement that did that one in. I didn't visit that site in years since I started visiting Grooveshark.

It seems like every free website for entertainment is being shutdown. Since 2012 many streaming sites, file downloading sites, torrent sites, and free video sites have all been shutdown: either seized by the FBI, forced to shutdown in a lawsuit, or a settlement like Grooveshark.

The only website that continuously pops back up after a shutdown or seizure of their servers is ThePirateBay. The last time they were shutdown, two more ThePirateBay sites popped back up instead of one, sort of like a Hydra.
Tsar
Experienced Poster

Postby Ghost » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:23 am

Tsar wrote:Esnips was another streaming website with unique music uploads. I visited it less than youtube and the others, it also disappeared from the internet. I don't know when but it might have been a founder disagreement that did that one in. I didn't visit that site in years since I started visiting Grooveshark.

It seems like every free website for entertainment is being shutdown. Since 2012 many streaming sites, file downloading sites, torrent sites, and free video sites have all been shutdown: either seized by the FBI, forced to shutdown in a lawsuit, or a settlement like Grooveshark.

The only website that continuously pops back up after a shutdown or seizure of their servers is ThePirateBay. The last time they were shutdown, two more ThePirateBay sites popped back up instead of one, sort of like a Hydra.

Doing that plus the servers/owners being located outside the West is how resistance will have to happen. It's only going to work if such site owners are in a position to tell the U.S. daddygov to f**k off.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby onethousandknives » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:39 pm

I download 99% of my mp3s from Russian websites now. Never liked streaming, as streaming is always here today, gone tomorrow, hard drive space is cheap these days, so why stream?
onethousandknives
Freshman Poster

Postby Tsar » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:43 am

onethousandknives wrote:I download 99% of my mp3s from Russian websites now. Never liked streaming, as streaming is always here today, gone tomorrow, hard drive space is cheap these days, so why stream?

I wanted to download from Grooveshark but I didn't know how to download the tracks. Youtube removed (or the user was forced to remove) one or a few of my favorite albums. I found one on or two on GrooveShark but then now it was shutdown.

It's been difficult finding those albums I really like.
Tsar
Experienced Poster

Return to General Discussions