Cornfed have I found you?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
BlackKnight
Junior Poster

Re: Cornfed have I found you?

Post by BlackKnight »

S_Parc wrote:
Contrarian Expatriate wrote:But if I were a Phd (especially in a STEM field), you can rest assured that I would not be living at mom's house. This guy likely has some mental illness that cause an "unemployable attitude."

So he is a loser indeed....
As you probably know, I'm neither a fan of Cornfed nor Tsar, however, this simply isn't true. In metro Toronto, there's an expression, where can one find the most PhDs? … flag down a taxi.

And the same goes for a number of US cities but it's not as bad as Canada, where many ppl have higher education but no opportunities.

In reality, a PhD, without other work experiences, makes one overqualified for many jobs out there. There are only so many HS teaching gigs and many of them are unionized and their members only have some masters in education. The same goes for college instructors. In addition, those exclusive national security jobs already have their recruiters scouring the MITs, Georgia Techs, Carnegie-Mellon's for code breakers.

My GF and I both have undergraduate STEM degrees, however, both of us know that beyond that initial white collar *entry level* diploma, everything else is about already having a pre-existing resume. Even the PhDs I'd seen in industry are more or less, glorified product managers. I even knew a few, who'd taken their PhDs off their resume, to get in the door, but then later, put them back on, to transition into management roles. In other words, it's a fancy MBA for them, not a real research demarcation.

For the most part, only healthcare training, like doctor(MD), nursing, pharmacy, or PA actually require some advanced education. I believe that had this person decided to attend medical school, instead of pursuing a PhD in the sciences, he'd be a practicing pathologist today, even w/o any ppl skills whatsoever.

What a number of STEM graduate students do, however, is take their PhDs off the resume, write Java/Python/Perl/C++ programs in their respective labs, and then, re-package themselves as IT consultants in those areas, using their laboratory as work experience than as education. As long as someone in the lab can vouch for their background, they can typically find contract work which can later jump start a career.

This is the reality of life.
The PhD training usually involves enough pseudo or direct brown nosing to qualify them as sellout whores after digging into one subject, topic, or even a way to look at something... this is ultimately the antithesis of innovation or ideation because nobody who sits on one topic for more than 4 years hiding away in academy is really a good doing anything beyond that one subject and luckily there's usually an industry that will pay for them to do something in that one topic or EU funding for science may cover it, so they fail to ever thirst for a revolution... sellouts. It takes multiple domains of human understanding to simplify something into a more useable "tool" and PhD people are rarely ever going to simplify anything because that means the project is finished and the money is only out in the real world for the end result, not the self praising world of academy.... with their overly PhD complicated jargon-ified mental gymnastics (since the easiest way to lie is to make it so the other person doesn't understand you, hence "financial derivatives" and string theories and all the other horse shit so specialized it requires a PhD lol).

Psych PhD students are the best to mess with, I can read their thoughts off of them and then mess with them. The really smart ones have half the smarts I have and they don't like me after they unmask my intelligence because they know I'm too complicated. Their dance stops when they ask me questions and I give them answers that don't exist in their field of science. It's kinda sad to see them shrink in their own minds, thinking that they'll never know that much. Some embrace the knowledge and light up, those are the fun ones. Needless to say, there aren't too many of those ones :lol:
BlackKnight
Junior Poster

Post by BlackKnight »

S_Parc wrote:
Tsar wrote:Most people don't need a Masters Degree or a PhD. It's just that companies, especially corporations, keep raising the bar to keep more and more people out. [ snip ] The Zionist graduates from the Ivy League colleges are always given a golden ticket along with the plutocrats.
Actually, the MSs/PhDs, for the average person, equal being overqualified. What companies require is a basic bachelors with experience (for the job at hand), to differentiate between the blue and white collar workforce. This is why so many ppl take their advanced degrees, off the resume when applying for regular jobs.

As for Ivy graduates, if you're not let's say a member of the clan of the Kennedys, Rockefellers, Bushes, Gores, etc, basically, what you get is a first round interview at an investment bank or a management consulting firm. Thus, it's less useful for an ordinary middle classer (unless he/she lands that first job in banking) than it is for someone who's ancestors had already made it.

A middle class person is better off, getting accepted to a 6 year BA-MD program (guaranteed doctor placement), straight out of high school than an ivy college, on the whole. Afterwards, he/she can get a one year masters at a Wharton, if he/she wants to later segue into management consulting for insurance companies or hospital conglomerates.

Lol, a MSs/PhDs doesn't equal to being overqualified you silly little man. It means you're a specialized tool only good at ONE TASK!! It doesn't take a genius to realize that's a risky move since you're not in control.
Last edited by BlackKnight on September 30th, 2015, 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BlackKnight
Junior Poster

Post by BlackKnight »

Balmung wrote:
droid wrote:I think what cornfed is missing are statistical variations. Some races are smarter than others in the average, but individuals have many variations, presenting overlaps.
I take IQ scores with a grain of salt, because i think they are affected by an individuals previous stimuli and rely too much in graphical cognition, but still, i found this graph showing some bell curves.

Assuming there is relative accuracy here, you could of course have a black dude that is smarter than a white guy. The question is though, would the offspring of these individuals at the extreme of their bell curve represent the individual, or would they more likely resemble their average?.
No offense to anyone, it's just Interesting.
What is the source of that graph? I ask because they strike me as... implausible. The smartest people in Kenya are only smarter than the very dumbest people in Hong Kong? Doubtful. I'll need to know the source before I believe this is anything more than some kid in his parents' basement.

And besides: the math here is janky. Assuming a 15 point standard deviation? Sure, many IQ tests do that. But look at the shape of those normal distributions. The "standard normal" distribution is one that has a variance of 1. That graph, the variance is... I don't know, something less than 1. It's the wrong shape, ie, it's too tall and narrow. A standard normal is shorter and wider. The kicker in all this is that IQ is a scale that's normalized! And it's normalized to a standard normal distribution! This means that it's normalized to a specific population, in this case maybe the whole world, or maybe the total of all the groups together. But either way, there's no way the data could shake out like that. It doesn't even make sense. Sorry for the math tangent (pun!), but I analyze data for a living, and bad math irks me.

Lol, dude who posted that is an idiot. '
'
See:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=27951

Also:

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=27309
droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by droid »

Balmung wrote:What is the source of that graph? I ask because they strike me as... implausible. The smartest people in Kenya are only smarter than the very dumbest people in Hong Kong? Doubtful. I'll need to know the source before I believe this is anything more than some kid in his parents' basement.

And besides: the math here is janky. Assuming a 15 point standard deviation? Sure, many IQ tests do that. But look at the shape of those normal distributions. The "standard normal" distribution is one that has a variance of 1. That graph, the variance is... I don't know, something less than 1. It's the wrong shape, ie, it's too tall and narrow. A standard normal is shorter and wider. The kicker in all this is that IQ is a scale that's normalized! And it's normalized to a standard normal distribution! This means that it's normalized to a specific population, in this case maybe the whole world, or maybe the total of all the groups together. But either way, there's no way the data could shake out like that. It doesn't even make sense. Sorry for the math tangent (pun!), but I analyze data for a living, and bad math irks me.
That was the first graph i found for 'IQ standard deviation'.
I think even if the curves were wider and closer together, the point i was making would still stand. There are real differences between groups in the average but individuals overlap.

I found another graph from supposedly more 'scientific' data with similar numbers
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File ... nicity.png

But that's why i say IQ stuff is to be taken with a grain of salt, as an individual's exposure to computers, media and a bunch other stimuli will have a great effect, and I don't think they fully account for that. A good indication of this I would think is the difference between the African black and the American black in the numbers.
I wouldn't throw such tests out the window altogether though, saying "everybody is the same" is unrealistic.
1)Too much of one thing defeats the purpose.
2)Everybody is full of it. What's your hypocrisy?
droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by droid »

This one lies somewhere between the first and second curves
S_Parc
Veteran Poster

Post by S_Parc »

BlackKnight wrote:
S_Parc wrote: Actually, the MSs/PhDs, for the average person, equal being overqualified. What companies require is a basic bachelors with experience (for the job at hand), to differentiate between the blue and white collar workforce. This is why so many ppl take their advanced degrees, off the resume when applying for regular jobs.
Lol, a MSs/PhDs doesn't equal to being overqualified you silly little man. It means you're a specialized tool only good at ONE TASK!! It doesn't take a genius to realize that's a risky move since you're not in control.
Overqualified, by virtue of being perceived as a person, who's good at one particular area of academic knowledge. And in general, that area of knowledge is too narrow for the real world.
Many years ago, the Best Picture of 1999, "American Beauty", telegraphed the message of Happier Abroad to the world.

Beware of long term engagements with AWs, you may find yourself in a coffin.

AB discussion thread

BTW, despite settling down with an AW, myself, the warning is still in effect.
BlackKnight
Junior Poster

Post by BlackKnight »

droid wrote:
Yet you're retard that can't figure out basic IQ "stuff" because you don't understand math or science. It's like an idiot that's undecided if 1+1 = 2 lol
BlackKnight
Junior Poster

Post by BlackKnight »

S_Parc wrote:
BlackKnight wrote:
S_Parc wrote: Actually, the MSs/PhDs, for the average person, equal being overqualified. What companies require is a basic bachelors with experience (for the job at hand), to differentiate between the blue and white collar workforce. This is why so many ppl take their advanced degrees, off the resume when applying for regular jobs.
Overqualified, by virtue of being perceived as a person, who's good at one particular area of academic knowledge. And in general, that area of knowledge is too narrow for the real world.
Exactly, and he proved that by failing a basic manual labor test :lol:
droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by droid »

BlackKnight wrote:
droid wrote:
Yet you're retard that can't figure out basic IQ "stuff" because you don't understand math or science. It's like an idiot that's undecided if 1+1 = 2 lol
"big booty"'
"i hit that"