Why are flights more expensive during Winter?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Why are flights more expensive during Winter?

Post by Tsar »

I was looking at flights to Central America to places like Costa Rica or Belize because I was thinking of taking a trip somewhere warm for about a week to get travel experience during the winter. Why are the tickets $200-$400 more expensive in the winter compared to the summer or early fall ticket prices? I'm just curious because I don't know why the prices would fluctuate that much, unless it's another example of the greed of American airline companies.
I'm a visionary and a philosopher king 👑

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Why are flights more expensive during Winter?

Post by droid »

It probably has something to do with the flat earth theory. There is probably less centrifugal force during winter to help the plane leave the center of the disc, thus more fuel consumption lol.
1)Too much of one thing defeats the purpose.
2)Everybody is full of it. What's your hypocrisy?
Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Tsar »

droid wrote:It probably has something to do with the flat earth theory. There is probably less centrifugal force during winter to help the plane leave the center of the disc, thus more fuel consumption lol.
I'm going to assume your reply is meant as a joke? You didn't give a serious answer.
droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by droid »

Come on man loosen up yeah it's just a little joke referencing that other thread.

The winter prices are most probably related to volume of travel, since people have more free time and are more likely to visit relatives during Christmas/new year.

People like to portray airlines as evil and greedy but they work with just a 2% margin, so price fluctuations exist since they try to compensate for drier spans.
I myself am amazed at how they can carry you safely, like a little eggshell, to your destination at 600mph, 10k feet in the air, at dirt cheap prices.
Imagine all the bills that need to be paid for such magic to take place.
Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Tsar »

droid wrote:Come on man loosen up yeah it's just a little joke referencing that other thread.

The winter prices are most probably related to volume of travel, since people have more free time and are more likely to visit relatives during Christmas/new year.

People like to portray airlines as evil and greedy but they work with just a 2% margin, so price fluctuations exist since they try to compensate for drier spans.
I myself am amazed at how they can carry you safely, like a little eggshell, to your destination at 600mph, 10k feet in the air, at dirt cheap prices.
Imagine all the bills that need to be paid for such magic to take place.
I thought it was a joke and knew the reference. Sometimes I take a lot of heat so I wasn't sure whether to laugh or ask. lol

They do pay a lot but I'm sure that part of it has to do with executive pay and trying to beat the targets imposed by Wall Street. The price of jet fuel can't go up that much during winter. Maybe snow cleaning might be part of the reason that doesn't exist in the better weather seasons?
droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by droid »

I meant 30,000 feet in the air
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

Creatures of all kinds head south during the winter. Simple supply and demand. Doubt you'll find similar price discrepancies in the winter for heading east, north or west.

Capitalists of all kinds will raise prices when the demand is strong. I remember passing through Fort Stockton, Texas, out in the middle of nowhere, when a big snow storm blew in unexpectedly and forced all the cars off the interstate. Motel prices immediately went up 100 percent or more, with nothing available under $100.
pete98146
Experienced Poster

Post by pete98146 »

It's also the dry season for many of the tropical countries.