Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.

Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

Where Did "Live To Work" Trait Come From?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Where Did "Live To Work" Trait Come From?

Postby Wolfeye » Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:58 pm

Where did the "live to work" culture in America come from? I get that it had something to do with the Puritans & I'm planning on buying that book by Max Weber, but I don't get where it developed from.

I'd also like to know what you guys do when you're trying to argue about "intangible trends" like these? It's so fuckin' hard to get anything across to people- it truly IS like an ontological inability to see flaws in their country, even when those flaws actually menace their lives!
Wolfeye
Experienced Poster

-----

Postby Ghost » Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:43 pm

-----
Last edited by Ghost on Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Where Did "Live To Work" Trait Come From?

Postby Contrarian Expatriate » Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:40 am

When you buy into the slavery of marriage and child-rearing, living to work is the natural outgrowth. Your very purpose for living is to serve and provide, hence the popularity of the trait.
Feel free to visit my sites and to leave your respected words of wisdom:

http://thedeclineofmyamerica.blogspot.com/

http://www.youtube.com/user/ContrarianExpatriate
Contrarian Expatriate
Experienced Poster

Postby jamesbond » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:21 am

Contrarian Expatriate wrote:When you buy into the slavery of marriage and child-rearing, living to work is the natural outgrowth. Your very purpose for living is to serve and provide, hence the popularity of the trait.

Exactly, marriage and child rearing are a tremendous financial burden on men. So is child support payments and alimony. Thank God more men in America are waking up to this fact and not getting married. The marriage rates in America are at an all time low.
"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Wolfeye » Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:39 pm

Ghost: Makes sense. They put the fanatics in a situation where them being themselves would work toward their goals. Hmm- sounds like it still happens, even if it's IMPORTING colonies & calling the people in the "refugees."

Maybe it's an ingrained Anglo/Saxon/Germanic type of trait? It seems like a f**k of a lot of it stems more from Central Europe (Germany, France, England- America came from England, but also entwined A LOT of Prussian/German stuff & the Puritans also seem to have been from somewhere in Central Europe). I know other places have done A LOT of that (Rome, Spain a few hundred years ago, etc...), but the workaholic disregard for things seems to be something of a constant.
Wolfeye
Experienced Poster

Postby Pinayhunter » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:57 pm

I don't know, but I'm tired of this shit and desperately want out. 50 hours a week doing something you hate (including commuting time) isn't a life. If I came home to a loving, attractive young woman everyday, I could maybe tolerate working, but I don't even get that.

There should really be more threads on how to escape dat workcel life.
Pinayhunter
Freshman Poster

Postby jamesbond » Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:04 pm

Pinayhunter wrote:I don't know, but I'm tired of this shit and desperately want out. 50 hours a week doing something you hate (including commuting time) isn't a life. If I came home to a loving, attractive young woman everyday, I could maybe tolerate working, but I don't even get that.

Tell me about it. I am working two jobs and of course I too come home to an empty house and no loving, attractive wife. Oh well, I guess it's time to travel overseas to find a good woman.
"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Return to General Discussions