Gear for Long Flights?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Gear for Long Flights?

Post by MrMan »

'Gear' is not the right word. I'm posting about the stuff to take with you on long international flights.

This is what I like to take.

- A carry on bag, the type with a handle and wheels.
If it has a pocket in the front of it, you can use that to stash your wallet, keys, and belt when going through the TSA line.

- A large backpack as a 'personal bag.'
In the personal bag, my computer in a computer bag, and anything I'll need for the flight.

This is the type of stuff I take for flights:

- An inflatable neck pillow.
These are hard to find. They came out in the late 1990's and I bought a few of them. If you can't find these, I just saw some non-inflatable neck pillows at Walmart. I find it extremely difficult to sleep on a plane without one. These things enable me to sleep on long flights, so I really appreciate them. I like to have two in case one starts to deflate. Air pressure changes can also make them feel like they are deflating. So there is an advantage to a memory foam or other type of padded neck pillow that doesn't inflate.

- Something to cover my eyes with.
I can use the blanket they provide. It helps if it's dark and someone opens up the window to view Alaska's bright skyline while you are sleeping.

- Long sleaves, long pants, a jacket.
I try to wear long sleaves and long pants. Dockers are comfortable and fit with most weather conditions. Some airplanes are cold and generally they are kind of cool. Dress too warm and waiting for take-off can be uncomfortable if it is warm outside. A light jacket is usually good for an airplane, just in case.

- Passport holder.
This thing has a string that goes around your neck. You can use it to hold a passport, credit card, cash, or whatever valuables you have.

- A water bottle.
In the US this needs to be an empty water bottle if you bring it in to the airport. You can also pay for an expensive bottle of water or cola or whatever inside the airport terminal. Airplanes can get way drier than deserts. It's a very unnatural environment. They cramp you in. You can get dehydrated without even knowing it. Some long-legged passengers with the dehydration could end up with blood clots or other health issues. If you have an empty water bottle, you can go to the galley and ask them to top your bottle off with some of their bottled water whenever you run out. This helps keep you hydrated and you can save yourself from calling flight attendants over to give you water. It's good to have water with you and tissue in the seat in case you spill something.

- Beef jerky, peanut butter crackers, etc.
I like to have this especially on flights where you have to pay for meals. If they ask $7 for a tuna sandwich of for a pile of lettuce and your hungry anyway, it makes sense to have some beef jerky. Sometimes you don't know if a flight will have a meal until you get on the plane. Peanuts get tiring after a while. I've been at airport terminals where I hoped to get a decent meal, and the prices were all raised up really high. One terminal in LA had a bunch of weird vegetarian dishes for sale at expensive prices and a Mexican place where the people spoke Spanish and said they were on break and there were no instructions on where or how to order. Beef jerky in your bag is really helpful for such a situation.

International flights will often serve meals. Asian carries seem to be better about feeding people and serve better food. It's still good to have some emergency food in your bag just in case. If a flight is delayed, you may not have time to eat in a terminal.

- A razor, tooth brush with toothpaste on it, and a change of clothes.
If you just travel with a carry on, you'll probably have this. One missionaries kid I knew liked to put on a clean shirt and shave before going through immigration to get back into the country. It made it less likely they'd stop him. After he had kids, they said they let him through quickly because families don't fit the profile of drug smugglers and some of the other things they are looking for. For long flights, other people may appreciate it if you brush your teeth. It is also good for your dental health.

- Earphones.
If you want to save $2 when they sell them. The last long Delta flight I was on just gave them away.

Some people like to look out the window. Good for them. I always try to get an aisle seat if I fly alone.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Zambales
Experienced Poster

Re: Gear for Long Flights?

Post by Zambales »

Passport holder & water bottle....have to remember that...thx

My last long haul flight was a bit of a mare. Had to change twice at Guangzhou & Amsterdam flying with China Southern and then KLM. I went online in the Philippines to book my seat before returning home but the language on the site kept changing to Chinese. I tried phoning them to no avail so I ended up with a dreaded sardine seat in the middle flying from Guangzhou to Amsterdam aaaargh :cry:

Anyway, for long haul flights I take two backpacks, a 60 Litre one for the hold (clothes & man stuff) and a smaller standard one for carry on for food & valuables. When I get off the plane I can put the smaller one in the bigger one if I so wish.

Usually wear long sleeves, jeans & a jacket but I didn't bother with a jacket on my last trip. Tend to stock up with food particular on outbound journey with sandwiches and various other junk. Returning from somewhere like the Philippines I just bring with me fruit & skyflakes etc. normally.