Stay at home dads in other countries?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
traveller
Junior Poster

Stay at home dads in other countries?

Post by traveller »

Hi. Not too long ago, I read an interesting article about women working in America. It also indicates that a growing portion of American families have the woman as the breadwinner of the household. As of that article, roughly 15 percent, or almost one sixth, of American households in fact were a married man and woman in which the woman was the breadwinner, and I am sure many of those families have what are known as stay at home dads. Basically, in other words, the mother is the one working, earning money to support the family, and the dad stays home and tends to the children.

Even though the man working and supporting the family is usually the preferred method, it is not always practical to have it that way, especially if the man has a disability that affects his ability to be the breadwinner or if the economy is in bad shape that he can not get a job.

Does anyone know if female breadwinner and stay at home dad families exist in other countries outside America?

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

The_Adventurer
Experienced Poster

Re: Stay at home dads in other countries?

Post by The_Adventurer »

This appears quite a bit in Chinese dramas. If the story is about multiple families, or couples, at least one of them will always be the short haired career woman and the stay at home dad. I have seen this popping up in Japanese anime recently too.

This is very common in the Philippines, except the stay at home dad doesn't cook or tend to the children. He drinks and plays cards with his friends, and rubs his pot belly. :)
“Booty is so strong that there are dudes willing to blow themselves up for the highly unlikely possibility of booty in another dimension." -- Joe Rogan
traveller
Junior Poster

Post by traveller »

The_Adventurer wrote:This appears quite a bit in Chinese dramas. If the story is about multiple families, or couples, at least one of them will always be the short haired career woman and the stay at home dad. I have seen this popping up in Japanese anime recently too.

This is very common in the Philippines, except the stay at home dad doesn't cook or tend to the children. He drinks and plays cards with his friends, and rubs his pot belly. :)
So then I assume this means even a man with a disability that affects or prevents him from working full time, being the breadwinner, and such can still get married in a foreign country?
GoingAwol
Junior Poster

Post by GoingAwol »

It's actually encouraged in Scandinavian countries, especially Sweden. The cultural norm is for men to stay at home with kids until they are old enough to go to school.