Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.

Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

Feeling A Lot Better

Discuss and talk about any general topic.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Feeling A Lot Better

Postby Tsar » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:31 am

I have decided to make a post that I have been feeling a lot better than I was. I got some help so I guess I'm doing much better. I think I'll still be able to afford one or two of my goals this year. I am trying to switch to a different job than an office job, so I am applying at (most likely what will be) part-time minimum wage jobs to become a permanent worker instead of a full-time office type job as a contract worker.
Tsar
Experienced Poster

Re: Feeling A Lot Better

Postby Cornfed » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:37 am

Tsar wrote:so I am applying at (most likely what will be) part-time minimum wage jobs to become a permanent worker instead of a full-time office type job as a contract worker.

Why?
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Tsar » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:56 am

I don't like the carpal tunnel type symptoms I am getting doing boring data entry that makes my wrists hurt or the poor setup that causes back issues or the old ventilation systems that cause asthma. I would get to go to a gym a lot more.

Basically I'm a temporary worker in a job that is basically less than average in pay for someone my age, and going to a minimum wage job wouldn't be much of a pay-cut. After all, since the first $10,000 gross is exempt from federal tax and first $13,000 gross is exempt from state, basically it's not much of a pay-cut. I can't afford a girl on my current job and if a job causes physical pain then it's not worth the extra few dollars (after taxes are accounted for).

I made some phone calls to recruiters at better companies who rejected me. They want specific experience related to their industry. Don't have it, no job.

Minimum wage jobs are the best chance. Besides, I'd save on gasoline costs and actually have more relative job security compared to temporary contract work.
Tsar
Experienced Poster

Postby gnosis » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:04 am

Tsar wrote:Minimum wage jobs are the best chance. Besides, I'd save on gasoline costs and actually have more relative job security compared to temporary contract work.

You should rethink this. Do not aim for a minimum wage job. If your wrists bother you when you type, look into speech recognition software. I can give you good advice on that if you are interested.

You will not be able to accomplish anything worthwhile making minimum wage in the U.S. This should be profoundly obvious.
gnosis
Freshman Poster

Postby Tsar » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:15 am

It's not typing, they have me pressing the same patterns of keys for five to six hours everyday more than 200 times a day. Why? They consider the permanent workers time too valuable and say there's nothing better they need me to do. I doubt it can punch keys because the crude proprietary software would not be compatible with voice recognition. Typing isn't the problem. It's their work set-up and more importantly the repetition of keys over and over.

I'm not aiming for a minimum wage job but I need to be realistic. Most jobs are minimum wage. In the job I'm doing I was able to get a very good glimpse into the financial health of Americans. Most are burdened by debt, a good majority of people after 60 are in heavy debt, at least one-third of Americans any age before retirement don't earn more than $3,000 a month. Married Americans where both people work are typically better off financially than single people trying to make it alone in America.
Tsar
Experienced Poster

Postby Jester » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:51 am

Glad yu're feeling better.

If you do change jobs, no reason to aim for part-time. Aim for full-time.

There is always time after work for the gym.

Regarding the wage rate, it's not important. What's important is a good job, one you enjoy going to every day.
"Pick a point and go to it."
-- Dr John Hunsucker, speaking about canoeing on Georgia's Lake Lanier, with its irregular shape, and 1000 miles of meandering shoreline
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby MarcosZeitola » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:04 am

So your desire to end your life a few weeks ago was caused by having to press buttons too much and disliking your job? Well, I am relieved to hear it was only that, and glad you are getting better. Hope you will be able to reach your goals soon.
MarcosZeitola
Experienced Poster

Postby Cornfed » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:07 am

Jester wrote:Glad yu're feeling better.

If you do change jobs, no reason to aim for part-time. Aim for full-time.

When I was working 8-5 I found I couldn't be bothered to get up early, just wanted to get home after work, the gym was too crowded both before and after work anyway, and I was generally too hung over to drive in on a Saturday morning.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby gnosis » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:26 am

Tsar,

I'm glad you're feeling better. If you think you'd be happier doing a different job, then go for it.
gnosis
Freshman Poster

Postby droid » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:13 am

Tell us about starchild's Tulsi leafs
1)Too much of one thing defeats the purpose.
2)Everybody is full of it. What's your hypocrisy?
droid
Veteran Poster

Postby Zambales » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:29 am

Were you the guy who was going to "end it" in May?
Zambales
Junior Poster

Postby Jester » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:08 pm

Cornfed wrote:
Jester wrote:....

When I was working 8-5 I found I couldn't be bothered to get up early, just wanted to get home after work, the gym was too crowded both before and after work anyway, and I was generally too hung over to drive in on a Saturday morning.

To me this is a major thing, I am going to start a new thread on he topic, don't know if anyone will weigh in besides me. But here I go.

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=30685
"Pick a point and go to it."
-- Dr John Hunsucker, speaking about canoeing on Georgia's Lake Lanier, with its irregular shape, and 1000 miles of meandering shoreline
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Adama » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:32 pm

Why not just try a lateral move to a secretarial, clerical or another data entry position? I don't disagree with you. A few years ago they were saying that Starbucks has good health insurance for part time employees. I wouldn't do most retail stores though. You could also drive an "ambulette," like a little van, and load old people in wheelchairs in, and drive them to dialysis. Or maybe UPS/FEDEX.

Also, try to talk to people. Even though most people are jerks, some times they have good suggestions about what kind of jobs are opening up, or maybe they know of a job where their friends got on or something. It doesn't hurt.

What kind of help did you get, if I may ask?

Also, good financial information you listed. I often wonder who it is that is buying these homes in my township for $700,000. My conclusion is that most of these people are probably making $100,000 with a man and a woman together contributing, and that most of them are in their 50s. I have no idea where new college grads are living, except we already know that 35% of them live with their parents. Where are the other 65% living and how can they afford it?

I think if you have two people though, even if the second person only contributes $500 a month, it makes things much easier.
Look for women who automatically want to please you because it pleases them. Any woman who seeks to please her man is a treasure. Even better if you don't have to ask but rather suggest.
Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Moretorque » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:26 pm

droid wrote:Tell us about starchild's Tulsi leafs

He spikes it with a special grade of Cosmic Coke so it makes the unsuspecting feel great as it works it's magic of tenderizing the carcass.....
Time to Hide!
Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Tsar » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:42 pm

MarcosZeitola wrote:So your desire to end your life a few weeks ago was caused by having to press buttons too much and disliking your job? Well, I am relieved to hear it was only that, and glad you are getting better. Hope you will be able to reach your goals soon.

It wasn't that. If it was that then it would be a stupid reason. Everything made me want to just kill myself. I wasn't doing the buttons at the time.
Tsar
Experienced Poster

Next

Return to General Discussions