An Update and a Question

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

An Update and a Question

Post by Tsar »

I wanted to ask this Thursday but I make myself sick again. I drank more Bourbon, not to attempt suicide again but because I wanted to feel happy, then I threw up in the cup after I finished drinking. Luckily I didn't damage my computers or throw up anywhere except the cup (my $200 jacket is still in perfect condition). But I might have hurt my kidneys or liver really bad this time, I'm hoping the color returns to normal soon. I'm still attending treatment for my poor state of mind. So now I'm almost back to normal. I was able to pull off a lie because I know how to avoid hangovers (load up on Vitamin B1, that removes the headache) and there was no evidence except for the cup which I sneakily threw out. I said I ate something bad and got food poisoning to cover it up. I do regret it afterwards because I didn't feel better the next morning, I felt terrible.

My question is: Where (what country) could someone live and establish themselves if they earned the following passive income levels?

I am not sure which income level I could or would be able to get which is why I am giving seven different $ figures.

$150/month

$200/month

$250/month

$300/month

$400/month

$500/month

$600/month
I'm a visionary and a philosopher king 👑
CannedHam
Freshman Poster

Re: An Update and a Question

Post by CannedHam »

Tsar wrote:I wanted to ask this Thursday but I make myself sick again. I drank more Bourbon, not to attempt suicide again but because I wanted to feel happy, then I threw up in the cup after I finished drinking. Luckily I didn't damage my computers or throw up anywhere except the cup (my $200 jacket is still in perfect condition). But I might have hurt my kidneys or liver really bad this time, I'm hoping the color returns to normal soon. I'm still attending treatment for my poor state of mind. So now I'm almost back to normal. I was able to pull off a lie because I know how to avoid hangovers (load up on Vitamin B1, that removes the headache) and there was no evidence except for the cup which I sneakily threw out. I said I ate something bad and got food poisoning to cover it up. I do regret it afterwards because I didn't feel better the next morning, I felt terrible.

My question is: Where (what country) could someone live and establish themselves if they earned the following passive income levels?

I am not sure which income level I could or would be able to get which is why I am giving seven different $ figures.

$150/month

$200/month

$250/month

$300/month

$400/month

$500/month

$600/month
Take care of yourself man.

To answer you question, there are very few (safe and reputable) countries where you'd live comfortably off of even $600/month. I'd aim for at least $1000/month, with $1500/month being ideal in good parts of Central/South America, SE Asia, and Eastern Europe. Here's what Scott Mallon has to say about the topic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-RQyxitmRY . For a single guy in Thailand, he suggests a bare minimum of $1000/month. I know a guy who gets close to $2k/month in passive income, but he spent a few years to get to that level, since did it outside of his full-time job. It's definitely possible.
gnosis
Freshman Poster

Post by gnosis »

Tsar, try sending a PM to the Adventurer and asking about opportunities to make money online; he has more experience than most on this board. I used to write articles online and made about a grand a month doing that several years ago. I bet you could earn more than $600 online with some time.

There's also the foreign earned income exclusion to consider. You only have to pay self employment tax (not income tax) if you work online overseas and make less than about 90 grand a year.

Living in Cambodia (I have lived in Cambodia) is cheap. But I think you would probably like Eastern Europe much better. Can't comment on that though because I haven't been to that part of the world yet.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on July 30th, 2019, 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CannedHam
Freshman Poster

Post by CannedHam »

If you're looking to get out ASAP, you could consider teaching English somewhere, and after-hours work on increasing your passive income. The higher the passive income goes, the less teaching you can do.
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

I think maybe the above is a bit too pessimistic. I'm currently in Bucharest, a bustling city just crawling with attractive women. Hang out in the downtown area, malls, etc., and you can have an eye feast every day.

According to Numbeo, a 1BR apartment outside the city center averages $255/mo. Utilities around $60/mo. Transportation pass is $15/mo. You can probably eat on $200/mo. So, you could eke out an existence for $600 or less here, and at least look at the women and get inspired to increase your income. The apartment blocks outside the city center are hideously ugly, and no doubt depressing during the winter -- as is the case really all over Europe, even Paris -- but that is offset a bit by the female beauty often contained within them.

You could probably pick up a few bucks teaching English there.

Assuming it's correct info -- it is provided by readers who live in the cities -- Numbeo is a very good resource for these kinds of questions. There are appealing places cheaper than Bucharest -- Georgia (the country), for example. Americans have a 360 day visa there, so just leave the country once a year for a few days, rinse and repeat. In most other countries you've got to figure out a way to stay past 90 days, but it's pretty doable in countries like Romania.

And incidentally, while I don't know about the virgin thing, the women in countries like Romania and Georgia are far more tradition-minded than in the West, and seem to be pretty loyal to their men.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

If you are taking depression meds, they may not mix well with alcohol. Getting hammered isn't a good idea anyway, especially if you are dealing with depression.

I think you've gotten some good advice that if you are planning on living on passive income, $1000+ is probably a bare minimum for you. That's if you don't go out and drink and live frugally. Back when I lived in Indonesia, there were people surviving on $50 to $100 a month, but I hear there has been some massive inflation, but I would imagine several hundred dollars a month is possible. But here are some things to consider. There are extra expenses for expats. In the market, the people selling vegetables will haggle over prices. Some of them rather lose a sale than sell to you at the local price. You have to pay for visas, and various other things. It's hard to find the visas, etc.

Also, living overseas is stressful. When I was in Korea, the first month or so was kind of exhilarating. Now, the split shift mixed with jetlag being nearly in the exact opposite time zone made me feel sick I was so sleepy, but when I rested enough, it was exciting and interesting to see the outdoor market and things that were different. The loud sales ladies at the store trying to sell drinking yogurt or whatever product, acting like people were listening to them was sort of entertaining. But about month three, it was all annoying and I wanted to go home. Someone explained me that culture shock lasted about 6 months and that I was going through it. Knowing that helped. I kind of accepted Korea for what it was after about 6 months and lost the urge to go home. I didn't experience the same emotional roller coaster in Indonesia. It was interesting and exciting at first, but I didn't get so frustrated with the place, but I'd also made some friends, too, that could have helped prevent me from feeling those things. I think, for me, the once initial culture shock in Korea inoculated me against it for Indonesia. I'm just saying that going overseas isn't a cure-all for depression. You could experience stress over there from so many subtle things being different.

Teaching English is an easy job to get, but only if you have a degree. Some places may take you without one. I don't know. I met a man who did consulting for factories in China who just went in and out on a business visa every so often, but he actually had an apartment in China. Since he wasn't officially a worker there, he didn't pay tax there, and he didn't have to pay in his home country. He kept his money in Hong Kong. So there are niches for those who do business, and you probably don't have to have a degree for that. Being an importer/exporter might be a good way to get into a country.

As far as English teaching goes, I think South Korean schools pay between $1800 to $2000 a month with apartment, airfare, and some other benefits. Usually, you either have to teach a split shift, mornings and nights with weekends off, or else teach only kids in the afternoon and have to work Saturdays. Back in the mid 1990's, I got $1600 a month, so the pay has probably dropped in real terms. But it's probably not a bad deal. I ate out just about every day for lunch and a couple of times a day on the weekends. I didn't spend any money on drinking. I came home with about %6000 in cash. I returned to the US, finished paying off the student loans in my name and bought a used car. I didn't teach any private lessons, either, which can pay more.
droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by droid »

gsjackson wrote:I think maybe the above is a bit too pessimistic. I'm currently in Bucharest, a bustling city just crawling with attractive women. Hang out in the downtown area, malls, etc., and you can have an eye feast every day.

According to Numbeo, a 1BR apartment outside the city center averages $255/mo. Utilities around $60/mo. Transportation pass is $15/mo. You can probably eat on $200/mo. So, you could eke out an existence for $600 or less here, and at least look at the women and get inspired to increase your income. The apartment blocks outside the city center are hideously ugly, and no doubt depressing during the winter -- as is the case really all over Europe, even Paris -- but that is offset a bit by the female beauty often contained within them.

Assuming it's correct info -- it is provided by readers who live in the cities -- Numbeo is a very good resource for these kinds of questions. There are appealing places cheaper than Bucharest -- Georgia (the country), for example. Americans have a 360 day visa there, so just leave the country once a year for a few days, rinse and repeat. In most other countries you've got to figure out a way to stay past 90 days, but it's pretty doable in countries like Romania.

And incidentally, while I don't know about the virgin thing, the women in countries like Romania and Georgia are far more tradition-minded than in the West, and seem to be pretty loyal to their men.
Nice
Picturessss pleaaaseee
1)Too much of one thing defeats the purpose.
2)Everybody is full of it. What's your hypocrisy?
MarcosZeitola
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MarcosZeitola »

Tsar wrote:My question is: Where (what country) could someone live and establish themselves if they earned the following passive income levels?
Brother if you are as broken as you say you are and you are willing to live on as low as $150,- a month... I would consider letting you stay in a cottage in the mountains near my place that I own. You could help me out in the gardens, watch the pumpkins, take care of the pineapples and ginger, dig a latrine... if you wish to find your sanity back, that sort of thing is best. To get away from the internet, completely. No more reading. No more paranoia. No more stress. No more worries. No more constant online presence.

It does not have to be where I live, it could be in Europe too. I know of a troubled guy who left everything behind to work on a farm in France. Squishing grapes with his feet to make wine without any pay and being given a simple place to sleep and plain food and drinks, the guy was able to transform his life in a couple of months. You could even join a monastery for a period of time to work on your own peace of mind far away from the world.

Think about this. You need to heal now, you are in no place of making any permanent or long-term decisions before you are in a better place mentally and physically.
On "Faux-Tradionalists" and why they're heading nowhere: viewtopic.php?style=1&f=37&t=29144
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

MarcosZeitola wrote:
Tsar wrote:My question is: Where (what country) could someone live and establish themselves if they earned the following passive income levels?
Brother if you are as broken as you say you are and you are willing to live on as low as $150,- a month... I would consider letting you stay in a cottage in the mountains near my place that I own. You could help me out in the gardens, watch the pumpkins, take care of the pineapples and ginger, dig a latrine... if you wish to find your sanity back, that sort of thing is best. To get away from the internet, completely. No more reading. No more paranoia. No more stress. No more worries. No more constant online presence.

It does not have to be where I live, it could be in Europe too. I know of a troubled guy who left everything behind to work on a farm in France. Squishing grapes with his feet to make wine without any pay and being given a simple place to sleep and plain food and drinks, the guy was able to transform his life in a couple of months. You could even join a monastery for a period of time to work on your own peace of mind far away from the world.

Think about this. You need to heal now, you are in no place of making any permanent or long-term decisions before you are in a better place mentally and physically.
Brilliant idea, Marcos. Tsar -- do it!! Get back to nature and first things, reclaim your soul from the internet, gird your loins and then head off to slay the lovelies in a place like Bucharest or Tbilisi (assuming a Phillippina doesn't win your heart).
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

droid wrote:
gsjackson wrote:I think maybe the above is a bit too pessimistic. I'm currently in Bucharest, a bustling city just crawling with attractive women. Hang out in the downtown area, malls, etc., and you can have an eye feast every day.

Nice
Picturessss pleaaaseee
Sorry, you're talking to a technophobe who doesn't even have a phone, let alone a smart one or camera.

The Romanian look -- mostly brown hair and brown eyes, but absolutely the best iteration of that combination I've ever seen. And the type that drives me out of my mind seems to be in abundance in Bucharest -- short, enormous hooters, cute face. Yesterday I witnessed absolute perfection in that model, maybe for the first time; she was very young, however, and with a boyfriend. But you can find tall and willowy too. Haven't noticed Rock's unusual predilection too much -- tall and bottom heavy. Quite honestly, in a month I've seen at least a dozen women in Romania more appealing to me than any I've seen in the U.S. in the last five years (except for one American -- in 2012).

Come see for yourself. A day is all it will take, because they are definitely out and about on the town all the time, unlike in the U.S., where I swear attractive women must be kept under lock and key. Romanian women out in public don't give you looks, and in some ways are just going about the daily grind unenthusiastically -- a little bit like Prague, though not quite so dour -- but they are usually very friendly when you talk to them.
Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Tsar »

MarcosZeitola wrote:

Those are good ideas. I would love to bring a small laptop for writing, tiny solar panel for electricity, a small suitcase and go abroad without internet for awhile. Either pick crops on a farm or be in some type of monastery in Europe or Asia, all without internet and just writing a business plan and finishing novels. No distractions from online games, entertainment, news, xxx entertainment, my parents, etc.

It comes at a good time too because my parents want to redo my room. I could pack everything into boxes into my closet once it's done, then tell them I'm leaving for a while.

Picking vegetables or whatever would be 100 times more enjoyable than the f***ing boring robot job in an old asthma-cough inducing building being a 2nd rate employee. Your advice has helped a lot and I am thinking I should be honest with myself and get myself laid-off (not fired).

By the way Italian Citizenship and access to the European Union was my #1 goal for this year. That would consume about half my savings, assuming I have $10,000.
I'm a visionary and a philosopher king 👑
gnosis
Freshman Poster

Post by gnosis »

MarcosZeitola wrote:

+1

Marcos, you are a standup guy for suggesting this.
droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by droid »

:idea: :!: Notice how the guy doesn't anywhere say "please" or "thanks" in any form whatsoever,
I'm really starting to lose sympathy, thinking he really is a self-serving a****le. Asked me for help and then never even replied back.
Starchild, have you received a 'thank you' from this guy lol
1)Too much of one thing defeats the purpose.
2)Everybody is full of it. What's your hypocrisy?
gnosis
Freshman Poster

Post by gnosis »

droid wrote::idea: :!: Notice how the guy doesn't anywhere say "please" or "thanks" in any form whatsoever,
I'm really starting to lose sympathy, thinking he really is a self-serving a****le. Asked me for help and then never even replied back.
Starchild, have you received a 'thank you' from this guy lol
Yeah, but maybe he will figure it out eventually.