Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.

Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

Nighmare Lab: The State of Science Careers

Discuss and talk about any general topic.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Nighmare Lab: The State of Science Careers

Postby gnosis » Tue May 17, 2016 2:08 am

Here's an interesting article in Nature: http://www.nature.com/news/2011/110831/full/477020a.html

Basically, it details how researchers are expected to work longer and longer hours. The average scientist now works about 50 hours a week. Of course pay hasn't increased, and competition for professorships is brutal. Any one here who has or has considered a career in science/research? What is your opinion?
gnosis
Freshman Poster

Re: Nighmare Lab: The State of Science Careers

Postby xiongmao » Wed May 18, 2016 4:15 pm

I did a PhD (Biochemistry). I lasted in the industry for 3 months, then went and worked in IT for the next 18 years!
In February 2013 I quit my boring job and now I'm Happier Abroad...
Do YOU want to date beautiful foreign women? Find out which country's women are best for you, and which dating site to look for them on!
Plus, if you like Asian girls, then check out my free Asian dating site.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Postby gnosis » Wed May 18, 2016 5:44 pm

xiongmao wrote:I did a PhD (Biochemistry). I lasted in the industry for 3 months, then went and worked in IT for the next 18 years!

Are you still in IT? Would be interested to hear about what the industry is like now. Still good or not?
gnosis
Freshman Poster

Postby Ghost » Thu May 19, 2016 12:17 am

I know nothing about jobs in the sciences, but I imagine it can't be doing well since companies can easily important scientists from the third world on H1-B visas to work for half the pay.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Moretorque » Thu May 19, 2016 12:43 am

The whole entire system is going down the tubes, they will not be getting the best talent out there for sure......your best people will opt out.
Time to Hide!
Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Cornfed » Thu May 19, 2016 6:10 am

Is much actual scientific research going on at all. It seems like a dead industry to me.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Moretorque » Thu May 19, 2016 11:29 am

Cornfed wrote:Is much actual scientific research going on at all. It seems like a dead industry to me.

It's going on but underground like the old soviet model which mostly means research through the theft of others labors and hard work.... which means your best talent will opt out and we are not going forward in typical Comrade soviet block banker fashion.
Time to Hide!
Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby gnosis » Thu May 19, 2016 3:40 pm

Cornfed wrote:Is much actual scientific research going on at all. It seems like a dead industry to me.

The publish or perish culture kills creativity. As does a lack of funding for basic research and other problems. I suspect that fraud is also up as well as just sloppy work. R&D departments for some companies still doing good work, but I don't know if that's the norm or not.

I think academia is pretty much a hell hole now. Bright post docs and grad students just getting exploited. But that's my opinion, I'm not in grad school.
gnosis
Freshman Poster

Postby Moretorque » Thu May 19, 2016 5:40 pm

According to Catherine Austin Fitt's there are 10's of trillions missing in hidden projects and that's just the US dollar, a lot of it in technologies not to be seen by the sheeple. I suspect their talent pool is dwindling as seen by the latest military hardware the complex is turning out.

Debasing a civilization, directed by monetary policy based on phony credits controlling rigged financial markets for mass consumption, how else would you expect it to turn out ? Hopefully for them they have enough momentum to keep the structure for world government marching forward but by the looks of it I doubt it.
Time to Hide!
Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby xiongmao » Thu May 26, 2016 1:48 pm

Yes still in IT and getting better now that I am senior level and there are very few programmers of my age still programming.

I'm also doing a lot more system design/business analysis - H1-B's aren't generally good at this anyway, but here in the UK they're making it harder to get work visas so it's a non issue.

IT is cyclical so you do need a plan for the downturns, however I managed to keep working during the 08-10 crash.
In February 2013 I quit my boring job and now I'm Happier Abroad...
Do YOU want to date beautiful foreign women? Find out which country's women are best for you, and which dating site to look for them on!
Plus, if you like Asian girls, then check out my free Asian dating site.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Postby Dragon » Sat May 28, 2016 7:57 am

They're studying the wrong things. Instead, they should follow Winston's example. He has a Ph.D in Bar Girl Anatomy.
I am a terrible person.
Dragon
Junior Poster

Postby Hero » Sat May 28, 2016 10:38 am

I have a Ph.D. in Math. I spent 15 years in academia and it was horrible. I switched to the insurance business.
Hero
Experienced Poster

Postby gnosis » Sat May 28, 2016 1:45 pm

Hero wrote:I have a Ph.D. in Math. I spent 15 years in academia and it was horrible. I switched to the insurance business.

So what exactly is your job now? Do you like it?
gnosis
Freshman Poster

Postby gnosis » Sat May 28, 2016 1:46 pm

xiongmao wrote:Yes still in IT and getting better now that I am senior level and there are very few programmers of my age still programming.

I'm also doing a lot more system design/business analysis - H1-B's aren't generally good at this anyway, but here in the UK they're making it harder to get work visas so it's a non issue.

IT is cyclical so you do need a plan for the downturns, however I managed to keep working during the 08-10 crash.

What's a good way to get into IT? Are certs valued if you don't have any other experience?
gnosis
Freshman Poster

Postby Moretorque » Sat May 28, 2016 2:19 pm

Hero wrote:I have a Ph.D. in Math. I spent 15 years in academia and it was horrible. I switched to the insurance business.

tHIS IS EXACTLY WhY modern CIVILIZATION IS HEADED FOR A BIG BIG CRASH, you should be very much respected and you should be proud of your math skills and what you attempted to do.....
Time to Hide!
Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Return to General Discussions