Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.

Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

Where could a person live?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Where could a person live?

Postby Tsar » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:52 am

What countries could a person live on $500 USD/month income?

Maybe they couldn't live in Belarus or Russia or some other countries for a long time with $500 USD/month, but maybe that income could allow for an extended long-term vacation with pre-purchased tickets, $3,000 for travel and $500 monthly income?
Tsar
Experienced Poster

Re: Where could a person live?

Postby retiredfrank » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:41 am

You can easily live as a single man on that income in Ukraine and also Russia/Belarus outside Moscow/Petersburg, provided you can pay local prices for rent (local price about $250/mouth in second tier cities versus $500/month for foreigners). So you'd need to be fluent in Russian or have a friend there to help with this. If you're willing to live in a village (rent under $100/month), you'd be one of the local rich on that income.

There's all sorts of places in rural South America, Asia and Africa where $500/month passive income would be rich by local standards. Even in the USA, $500/month cash is plenty to live well in rural areas, provided you own your own house and pick-up truck, and grow most of your own vegetables, keep goats for milk, chickens for eggs, hunt for meat, etc.
retiredfrank
Freshman Poster

Postby Ghost » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:26 am

Anywhere you go with $500 a month, all you'll be doing is living. No fun, no dating, nothing but necessities. So unless you're going to expat to live the simple life (including celibacy) then I wouldn't do it.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby retiredfrank » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:20 am

No reason you can't date and get women on $500/month. You just can't do P4P or sugar daddying, include the soft forms where rich guys delude themselves as to what women see in them. Lots of poor couples in rural places all over the world.

Don't underestimate the power of stable passive income, even at low levels, provided you are physically healthy. Disabled on $500/month is no fun, but healthy is another story. That amount on income, provided it is truly passive, gives you the freedom to walk away from your job any time you want and travel the world indefinitely, though it would be cheap backpacker travel in mostly rural areas and it would be slow travel, like a bus ride every few weeks or months.
retiredfrank
Freshman Poster

Postby El_Caudillo » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:54 pm

Bolivia - and probably a small town. Maybe a town like Santiago de Estero in Argentina if you got a good deal on accommodation and like eating bread and chorizo. Asia? Perhaps some place in Sumatra could be you - I had a pretty cheap holiday there a few years ago. Look at extending to 800 bucks and I think you'll have more options. Sometimes the best place to be a pauper is home.
El_Caudillo
Freshman Poster

Postby GoingAwol » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:04 pm

The average income in Russia is just under $500 a month right now. If the average Russian manages to do it, you can too.
GoingAwol
Freshman Poster

Postby NorthAmericanguy » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:44 pm

Tsar wrote:What countries could a person live on $500 USD/month income?

Maybe they couldn't live in Belarus or Russia or some other countries for a long time with $500 USD/month, but maybe that income could allow for an extended long-term vacation with pre-purchased tickets, $3,000 for travel and $500 monthly income?

With that little amount I wouldn't want to live anywhere but the United States. In the United States you can live in a recreational vehicle park where you can hook up to a sewer, water and electricity for less then 500 per month.

That said, with $500 per month in another country I would only move to a warm country like Thailand or the Philippines. Worse case scenario if you run out of money and hit the streets you don't want to be living in the streets in the winter time.
NorthAmericanguy
Veteran Poster

Postby gnosis » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:10 pm

Making a grand a month online is doable. You should aim for that figure as your minimum.
gnosis
Freshman Poster

Postby chibolo » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:34 pm

A single guy could live on about $500-$700 a month in many parts of Peru (not including the upscale areas of Lima). I lived on about $1200 a month there but that was for two people. You could have a decent lifestyle that even includes things like partying, eating out, movies, etc. Downside is that Peru has a lot of crime so that is something you would have to deal with there. One good thing about living on a small budget is that you weed out the women who are only after your money...
chibolo
Junior Poster

Postby Tsar » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:10 pm

gnosis wrote:Making a grand a month online is doable. You should aim for that figure as your minimum.

Can I do that with a website and/or blog (combination of both)?

Because the money I'd probably be getting isn't from anything online. It may be between $500-$600 per month, likely closer to the $500 level.

Right now I don't make any money online but I could start a website if I wanted to pay out money for hosting and privacy. I already almost 20 articles already written for that purpose and could easily write more articles on several different topics. Getting views and hits would be the tricky part which I think might be somewhat of a luck factor.
Tsar
Experienced Poster

Postby gnosis » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:22 am

Tsar wrote:
gnosis wrote:Making a grand a month online is doable. You should aim for that figure as your minimum.

Can I do that with a website and/or blog (combination of both)?

Because the money I'd probably be getting isn't from anything online. It may be between $500-$600 per month, likely closer to the $500 level.

Right now I don't make any money online but I could start a website if I wanted to pay out money for hosting and privacy. I already almost 20 articles already written for that purpose and could easily write more articles on several different topics. Getting views and hits would be the tricky part which I think might be somewhat of a luck factor.

I was not successful with a blog, but I know there is a market for freelance writing. Right now, I am trying to break in, so I can't give you much advice, but it is possible to make around a grand a month. If you are talented and can break in to something good, then obviously you can do much better.

Try to find and contact people who are successful. Ask them for advice. Give yourself time to build up.

I wouldn't go anywhere until you are making around $1000 gross. You will have much lower taxes overseas, so that's a bonus.

You won't be living like a king, but you should be okay if you have a bit of a cushion. I think it would be enough money for you to live somewhere cheap in Eastern Europe.
gnosis
Freshman Poster

Postby Jeremy » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:09 am

From what I've read, it's extremely difficult to make any money from blogging. You're looking at about 1 cent per visit. You'd probably be better off just working some minimum wage job.

You could always try the Clarey approach of becoming a night shift security guard. Get paid to sit there while working on your own projects. It ain't Die Hard or Paul Blart.
Jeremy
Freshman Poster

Postby Ghost » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:08 am

-----
Last edited by Ghost on Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby gnosis » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:28 pm

Jeremy wrote:From what I've read, it's extremely difficult to make any money from blogging. You're looking at about 1 cent per visit. You'd probably be better off just working some minimum wage job.

You could always try the Clarey approach of becoming a night shift security guard. Get paid to sit there while working on your own projects. It ain't Die Hard or Paul Blart.

Some people are successful at blogging. But it is really difficult to make money off of it. It could take you years of daily work to get established, and even then, it might never be very profitable. Of course, you might get lucky and/or have a special talent...But it is not by any means a guaranteed thing.

If you are going to do blogging, do it as a side project, and try to work in a niche that you genuinely like.

I agree with Ghost that "passive income" is mostly bullshit. All those guys earning "passive" income are still working. Even if something earns "passive" income for you for a while, it will eventually fade out and you will have to make something new, which means that "passive" income is really "active" income.
gnosis
Freshman Poster

Postby gnosis » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:41 pm

Ghost wrote:I've stuck with English teaching abroad because it's 1. easy work that's often fun for a decent wage (especially by local standards), and 2. gets me residence for months to a year at a time. A lot can go wrong with it, but a lot can go right with it too. And I have friends here in China who help me a lot, which, regardless of what you do, friends and contacts are going to be vital, whether it's job success or self-employed success.

TEFL does have short-term advantages, but long-term, you are just kind of kicking the can down the road. There isn't really a future in it, and there is a lot of age discrimination in the industry, so even if you can do it well in your twenties and thirties, what are you going to do when you get older? Some teachers transition from Asia to the middle east and others work to get into proper international schools.
gnosis
Freshman Poster

Next

Return to General Discussions