Stuff to take with you to live in X Country

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Stuff to take with you to live in X Country

Post by MrMan »

Certain products are hard to find in certain countries.

In Indonesia, socks are hard to find, at least for me. They sell socks that are right in one little narrow band at the top of the sock. I like more of a tube sock feel for a dress sock. So I'd have to buy socks in the US.

Ranch dressing is pricey in Jakarta. Mayonaise isn't, at least if you live near Gelial in Jakarta. You can buy those packets in the US. You can also get Italian dressing packets. Other food items that are good to bring if you want to save money and have some empty suitcase space are balsamic vinegar, barbecue sauce, malt vinegar, and cheese. Once, I brought a large block of sharp cheddar and mozzarella with me. I had it all chilled, then the airline lost the bag with the cheese in it and had me wait till night after the 20+ hour trip with the bags they didn't lose. I got the bag and night and refrigerated the cheese.

Some of this stuff only makes sense to bring if you need refrigerator space.

Normal sized male shoes, like 10 and a half or 11 can be hard to find. Shoes cut off at about 42 or 43 centimeters. You have to go somewhere like Pasar Baru (or they sold them there way back when) or certain other markets to buy them. I hear Payless sells larger sizes, if you don't mind wearing Payless shoes.

Apple products are also more expensive in Indonesia, generally, than in the US.

If you have extra space in your bag, shampoo, conditioner, and personal lubricant can be purchased cheaper in the US.

Don't bring electric items unless they'll take 220 volts of electricity. Most computer type products do, but a lot of electrical products do not.