Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.


Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife



View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile


Video: Why EVERY white guy in Asia is a loser..

Discuss and talk about any general topic.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Re: Video: Why EVERY white guy in Asia is a loser..

Postby cdnFA » Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:49 pm

yick wrote:But don't be calling anyone a loser because they are out there looking and you haven't got THE BALLS to go out and find your share. 8)


What the hell dude.

Never did the first. Considering the second. Are you trying to do a Winston here?

My problem is that you seem to have this attitude towards those who prefer to run their lives with a bit of caution.
I wonder if perhaps you are trying too hard because you have regrets.
cdnFA
Junior Poster
 
Posts: 582
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:51 am







Re: Video: Why EVERY white guy in Asia is a loser..

Postby yick » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:28 pm

Sure brah only the stupid people end up being unhappy. uh huh.
I suppose one could make the same claim about people who are unhappy in the US following the same unlogic.


I didn't say that. You can't point out where I said that.

I think I said something along the lines of...

No one cares if you die alone - your happiness - your responsibility.
There are skills involved in teaching English but many employers don't give a shit as long as you are white and show up on time and mostly sober, especially in China.


Not true at all.

You have no idea what you are talking about.

There are plenty of jobs that pay good money in China for foreigners with related qualifications.

Is that you, do you have a degree?

Do you have a related MA?

You can't turn up and be white for these jobs.

There are lots of joint venture places operating out of China these days, NYU-Shanghai being the latest. Do you think you can turn up and be white if you got a job there?

Also it is repeated continuously that teaching English means jack and shit back home aside from the generic "I am international" and that levels out after about a year.


WHO CARES ABOUT BACK HOME?

You're back home right now, how is that working out? Have you found a job since the last post you made where you quit your job because some work colleague was talking about his time in Thailand and you couldn't handle it for some reason.

However all those people who have taught English and have come back don't know what they are talking about I guess. Is there a skill, sure, but nobody gives a shit once you get back home and too many employers don't give a shit over there which would explain why the pay doesn't increase that much and you can get a job without even a 100 ESL training program.


I am not going back home. Not everyone goes back home, but going to teach ESL is better than being on the dole, better than working at a supermarket stacking shelves, better than working in a call centre.

Go abroad and play video games on your time off - yeah, what a waste of time.

Go abroad and get a decent TOPIK/HSK/JPL level and put that on your CV - folk stop laughing then.

I've run Trivia games in front of about 100 people, been in front of a few hundred proctoring exams [different I know], being in front of a 100 anything does scare me BTW.


So what? What good is any of that doing you now? Nothing.


Also again with this bullshit about how you can't know anything without being there.


In this case, what you read on the internet means NOTHING.


According to Yohan EVERYONE gets divorced, never mind that he admits the national stats are 68% for urbanites in his country [which may or may not be true considering it's HA]. People say the same thing about the US.
Personal experience means jack and shit. I gather experiences from many people and the comments of people of those statements.
But hey lets play your game. Almost nobody gets divorced in Canada because that is what I see and don't tell me any stats about 40% because I don't know these people and therefore it can not be true. That is how you "You are not there so you don't know" people sound like.


I don't think Yohan has ever said 'EVERYONE gets divorced'

And I have never ever said 'Almost nobody gets divorced in Canada' so let's not play that game.
Example

":This ridiculous strawman argument keeps popping up for some reason.

I don't know ANYONE who is making six figures back home.:"

So nobody makes 6 figures because you don't know anyone making 6 figures. Right. Sure brah.


I KNEW YOU WOULD SAY THAT - I KNEW IT.

I SAID... I DON'T KNOW ANYONE MAKING SIX FIGURES.

NOT

THERE IS NOBODY MAKING SIX FIGURES BACK HOME.

Of course there are people making six figures, seven figures even - eight and nine figures.

I'll never make six figures - it is just fantasy - nobody I know where I live makes six figures, I live in a very working class part of England.

Are you making six figures? I doubt you are barely making five - if you have a job that is



Second of all, I noticed you used the term strawman arguement. I am pretty sure it doesn't mean what you think it means.

Third. I clearly said he lost 6 figures because he couldn't sell his shit and not his income. The markets were quite volatile when he was overseas.

But since you want to strawman me. Yes I do know someone who makes 6 figures as well as some I suspect make 6 figures, at least their McMansion suggests so. I have a cousin who makes 6 figures overseas in the Oil industry, there are doctors on my father's side of the family. Hell I know a girl who an unrelated collage degree who passes a pretty simple exam and is going to make 55K starting, it will go to 75 in the second year plus bonuses. Wouldn't be surprised if she is cracking 6 figures within 5 years of starting in the field.
So where should I send my shit, or will you be picking it up?


Forget your mate and his six figures, are you making six figures?

Do you have a job even, the last one you quit because you were going to start crying because your work colleague was talking about living in Thailand.

You aren't ever going to make six figures in Horsebutt Alberta - where the only jobs that seem to be available to you (your words) are call centres that don't want to employ you.

So tell me - where is your six figure salary coming from?

But you don't know any of these people so they don't exist. Sure Yohan I mean Yick, whatever you say.


No I don't - no, so I am not missing out by being abroad - it's simple as that.

As for the language thing, they are brutal hard, at least those are. I've put in some efforts, almost finished RTK before I decided to switch to Chinese so save the attitude.
The point is they are very difficult languages, about 3.5 to 4K hours to reach the HSK6 ot JLPT N1 level. Many times on the language forums people say those levels are not exactly fluent. They are not considered C2 level. 4000 hours. According to that US gov foreign language training institute Korea, Japanese and Chinese take about 2200 of class time [mulitply by 1.7] to get to a high functioning level almost 4K hours. The Rule of 7 guy has lived for ages in Japan with study and still refers to his level as that of [from memory] a 5 year old or a retarded 7 year old, I am sure he exaggerates but still.


They are difficult - SO WHAT?

Yes, you will probably never get native like fluency. Look up Julien Gaudfroy - he spent 10 hours a day for FIVE YEARS learning Chinese - that's what it takes.

Nothing can be done about it. It's hard, what do you want anyone to do?

Let me just explain something from what I know about you (in your own words)

You aren't really cut out for going abroad.

You wouldn't last five minutes in China or even Japan - where it is meant to be easier.


The idea that you are better off not learning the language in Japan both to keep your ignorance of what is really going on and to retain your performing circus monkey status seems to come up quite a bit.


:roll:

Also my father was talking to an Argentine guy in Japan who spent several years in China. He said he could not learn Chinese in that time but in a similar amount of time was able to pick up [some?] Japanese. Another fellow who went to Taiwan with lots of linguistic studlyness and couldn't pick up Chinese at all. Japanese and Korean you can just pound hard at 'er but Chinese seems to be a different animal, some pick it up, some don't try and some can't seem to figure it out.


:roll:

Also when will you have to time to learn the language to anything beyond the basic level, there are people who have gone overseas to teach English only to find their local language skills erode. 40 hours a week, plus decompression, plus transit, sleeping, eating, shiting etc. You could learn it before you get there, but you better pick the right country and either way, huge opportunity cost. I am currently going out with a Chinese girl and although she has been here for 20 years her English doesn't really allow for smooth conversation and it kinda sucks. I could see it sucking being on the other side of the equation.


:roll:

Also I find your reaction, you don't really get what I am saying. You are going off putting down people who won't go overseas. I am just pointing out that it isn't as simple as all that.


It's not simple, but you do it anyway, you are just making excuses on why you can't go, from knowing what I know about you - there is nothing to stop you. You live with your father, you are long term unemployed, you live in a small town where the local employers have blocked you off, the last job you quit because you had a mental breakdown because a colleague was rubbing Thailand in your face and you couldn't handle it.

But you are calling people (and you did) complete and utter losers for going abroad - because you are one and are considering it.

Let's not judge everyone by your - admittedly - low standard of life.

People who move to Asia range from Jim Rogers to Winston Wu - but at least they all got off their arse and made the move.

Anyone can be an armchair fullback and tell everyone why and what should be done - do it - and then come back and tell us.



Speaking of Strawman
"I suggest you don't do either - no decent girl is going to marry you based on two week sojourns"
I never said anything like that. I was thinking along the lines of going some place for a few years then coming home or trying the arranged marriage market in India.


Listen bwana.

You aren't going to last two months abroad.

Some people can handle and some people just cannot.

You have no real desire to leave Horsebutt Alberta - so just stay right there.

You had a near breakdown and quit your job because of some arsehole who came back from Thailand was crowing about it.

Do you think you are going to last working in China?

f**k off! :lol:

Best thing for you to do is stay right there and hope to Christ this relationship with your girl keeps going.

"But if you are unhappy, single, a shit life in Canada and you want to move abroad but find that everything is going to go to shit before ever even trying it to see where you fit in the scheme of it, then you are a bigger bigger loser (and it isn't a word I like to use) than anyone abroad having a go."

Again a complete misreading of what I posted. Going abroad is on my radar but I am aware of the difficulties. Why the hell are you slamming me for having done my research for f***s sakes. Is it really better to go overseas blissfully unaware... you know like those stupid people you refer to at the top of the post.
If my situation warrants it, I am willing to take the jump once I get some shit settled. However I am not some sort of pollyanna who thinks it will be easy to do. It is hard as balls and the risk of failure is high. Those are the realities.


It is EXACTLY what you implied when you wrote it, in your crappy, passive aggressive Canadian way.

f**k you! You've not got what it takes to make it abroad. Not everyone has but you certainly aint.

And you called me and my post out as bullshit - I am abroad now as is Yohan, you aint - you word means shit until you go out there and live what we live.

But it will never happen.


This is our conversation as I see it, modified for humour.

Anyone whose life sucks and doesn't go overseas is a Candy a** Queer Fag.

But going overseas presents many difficulties and most people fail so it isn't a cure all. It's an option but one I hope I don't have to take.

You are a Candy a** Queer Fag, heat, pollution, years learning a hard as balls language or being unable to function like a native, tax issues, employment issues are nothing, just do it, do it.



You have very little going for you in your life.

Do you have a university degree?

If you do, you are risking NOTHING by going abroad.

Let's just have a rundown of your life.

Live with dad
Long term unemployed
Horsebutt Alberta has no jobs and what jobs there are - they aren't employing you.
You can't keep a job because you have breakdowns over stupid shit
You are worried about making six figures though you are currently unemployed (if that has changed then you
are making buttons).

So, let me just ask you, what's the risk?

My life was crap back in England by the way - but I had more going for myself than you seem to have admittedly.

I don't think anyone living overseas now would swap their existence for yours.

Because your existence is crap.

So what are you being cautious for?

Here are two truths.

You wouldn't last two months abroad - based what you have written about yourself - never mind the language - probably one of the easier parts about living abroad.

You aren't cut out for it, forget it.

Stay RIGHT WHERE YOU ARE.

And maybe your six figures might come your way on a lottery win. :roll:
yick
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 435
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:11 am

Re: Video: Why EVERY white guy in Asia is a loser..

Postby yick » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:38 pm

cdnFA wrote:
yick wrote:But don't be calling anyone a loser because they are out there looking and you haven't got THE BALLS to go out and find your share. 8)


What the hell dude.

Never did the first. Considering the second. Are you trying to do a Winston here?

My problem is that you seem to have this attitude towards those who prefer to run their lives with a bit of caution.
I wonder if perhaps you are trying too hard because you have regrets.


This is what you wrote...

As for myself, I really hope my current situation works out because who needs the bullshit. If it doesn't I'd consider wifehunting overseas but I am not too thrilled with living overseas. The only reason I'd consider it is because I am such a complete loser back home.


You are saying, in so many words, that anyone who considers 'living overseas' is a 'complete loser back home' that is a link YOU made - you douchey, passive aggressive prick.

So stop your crying because you got called out on your bullshit.

You wouldn't last two seconds anywhere abroad without going into meltdown. :roll:
yick
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 435
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:11 am

Re: Video: Why EVERY white guy in Asia is a loser..

Postby cdnFA » Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:47 am

"As for myself, I really hope my current situation works out because who needs the bullshit. If it doesn't I'd consider wifehunting overseas but I am not too thrilled with living overseas. The only reason I'd consider it is because I am such a complete loser back home."

does not equal

"
You are saying, in so many words, that anyone who considers 'living overseas' is a 'complete loser back home' that is a link YOU made - you douchey, passive aggressive prick."

I was talking about myself. You illiterate retarded ass monkey.
Although isn't the whole premise of HA that things are not going well at home, to go elsewhere. As you yourself said, plenty if not most people make a pretty good go of it back home and you are fine with it. What I wrote was about myself, you are the one who decided to infer what you wished to support your butthurt.

Also I never said anything about earning 6 figures. As I said in 2 different posts I was refereing to market losses because buddy couldn't sell out during a volitile period in the market because he was no longer a resident. One of the complications of moving overseas. Things like RRSPs get locked up. It was only after you derped on about how I don't know anyone who makes 6 figured that I corrected you. My initial 6 figures comment was to do with assets NOT income. Pointing out that for someone in the middle to late stages of life that there are complications that one must look into, it isn't just a matter of spinning the globe and sodding off.

I don't live in Alberta. Never have never will. I was there on vacation back around 1980 for a short time.

As for not caring about going back home, well when you are still making 3M to maybe 3.5M Yen a year teaching for some horrid private English School or being a human tape recorder ALT with a family to support, your skill set will become more important.
As it was said by someone else on this thread unless you are special you will be hard pressed to find something good. Funny thing about special snowflakes, there are not many of them by definition. Sure if some Bay Street firm is willing to send you to whereever on an expat package and leave you there you got it made, if you got some serious CS credentials you can probably land something decent. If I had speed, strength skills and endurance I could be in the NHL but... It takes more than just a degree, plenty of people with those overseas who know the language and the business culture.
Over and over people who live overseas point out the difficulty that being an English teacher involves for the long term. About the only person I've ever heard of who suggests that it is anything but very difficult to get a read job in a place like Japan is Mira from Youtube and she is both really stunned and with perm rez only managed a service industry job. However they are all wrong, you are right. Just get off that plane with your BA in philosophy and have the employers lined up to offer you positions.
Also when you do stay there and have kids, if you are in China, do you really want your kids going to school there. Another topic that comes up when those you actually lived in China talk about staying there long term. Ditto the effect of air pollution and food safety on the kids. It is one thing to go through it as a single or married adult, when you have kids it is different. Are you raising kids in China. By your logic system you can't comment on that subject but must take the word of the first person who speaks on it because they are there and one can't research anything. Research isn't a thing. Jeez, you belong here with the flat earthers and the holocaust deniers.

You are one creepy stalker that you remember so many data points about me/actually too the time to look things up. Either way creepy dude.

But you know what, if you are unwilling to actually read what I write or are unable to read what I write, go f**k yourself.
cdnFA
Junior Poster
 
Posts: 582
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:51 am

Re: Video: Why EVERY white guy in Asia is a loser..

Postby cdnFA » Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:50 am

You know if all your butthurt is over your not catching the "As for myself," in the complete loser segment, it's pretty funny.

About as funny as how you think you score points by pointing out what a complete loser I am when I am upfront about being a complete loser.

I also think it is rather interesting that you go from
Ripping into people who have failed in life for not trying to go overseas
then you rip into me for explaining that it really isn't as easy or a sure thing as you suggest, that it involves real sacrifices
Then you point out that I couldn't last what was it 2 months over there.

So which is it.

After all, if you are unhappy at home, there is probably some sort of underlying thing causing it that can cause problems when you go overseas.
cdnFA
Junior Poster
 
Posts: 582
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:51 am

Re: Video: Why EVERY white guy in Asia is a loser..

Postby yick » Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:18 am

I was talking about myself. You illiterate retarded a** monkey.


You were making the insinuation that anyone who goes abroad is a 'complete loser back home'.

There was no need for you to have said that - because we all know already - you are just being a douchey, passive aggressive prick.

You haven't got what it takes to go abroad. That is basically what it boils down to.

Although isn't the whole premise of HA that things are not going well at home, to go elsewhere. As you yourself said, plenty if not most people make a pretty good go of it back home and you are fine with it. What I wrote was about myself, you are the one who decided to infer what you wished to support your butthurt.


Why don't you go abroad TODAY - because guess what - it seems to me you are that complete loser RIGHT NOW. So what's stopping you - Oh yeah, that six figure job that might come in the post. :lol:

Also I never said anything about earning 6 figures. As I said in 2 different posts I was refereing to market losses because buddy couldn't sell out during a volitile period in the market because he was no longer a resident. One of the complications of moving overseas. Things like RRSPs get locked up. It was only after you derped on about how I don't know anyone who makes 6 figured that I corrected you. My initial 6 figures comment was to do with assets NOT income. Pointing out that for someone in the middle to late stages of life that there are complications that one must look into, it isn't just a matter of spinning the globe and sodding off.


It doesn't matter who is earning six figures or has six figures worth of collateral - that aint you - your mate - who cares about him either - lots of people go abroad and there are no losses, do you have anything you own that comes to six figures? Property owner? No, own a fleet of vintage cars? No - own a business? No - so what is THE POINT of you bringing this NON-POINT.

'Oh no, I can't go abroad because erm... who will look after my pet crocodiles that I keep in the bath?'

If I don't own crocodiles and I don't keep them in a bath - what is the point of ME bringing it up? It is just a nonsensical non-point.

I don't live in Alberta. Never have never will. I was there on vacation back around 1980 for a short time.


:roll:

Who the hell cares!

As for not caring about going back home, well when you are still making 3M to maybe 3.5M Yen a year teaching for some horrid private English School or being a human tape recorder ALT with a family to support, your skill set will become more important.


This is important, I have a RELATED MASTERS DEGREE - from a good university, as well as a related degree - what do you have?

I am not you or your mates - this is the one thing you have to understand - I am not a Human tape recorder working as an ALT (But I am sure that
is FAR superior to anything you are doing right now).

As it was said by someone else on this thread unless you are special you will be hard pressed to find something good.


Says who?

Have you found anything good wherever you are in Newfoundland or wherever you live?

Here is like back home, you need skills, qualifications, a CV to offer - if you just bumble in with nothing on your CV then yeah, people here will go 'meh' the same rules apply, I don't know who told you that was different, it's not. There are lots of good jobs and great opportunities - if you are qualified to do them.

Funny thing about special snowflakes, there are not many of them by definition. Sure if some Bay Street firm is willing to send you to whereever on an expat package and leave you there you got it made, if you got some serious CS credentials you can probably land something decent. If I had speed, strength skills and endurance I could be in the NHL but... It takes more than just a degree, plenty of people with those overseas who know the language and the business culture.


:lol:

Look, I'll use a British example.

Everyone who plays football in the UK knows they won't play for Manchester United.

But tens of thousands of adult males play football in Sunday leagues up and down the country - because they enjoy it.

I enjoy living abroad, it isn't about money or expat packages.

Now if it is for you, you need to sort out your skill set - you need to command that kind of package in Canada and then you might be able to command it in Japan.

But if you are finding it hard to find a job in a call centre locally - then 'expat packages' don't apply to you.

It would be like me moaning because I score a goal for my Sunday local team - I am not getting paid the same as Ole Gunnar Solksjear did at Manchester United.

It would be an ABSOLUTE JOKE.

You aren't in line for the expat package - so what are you even thinking about that for?

Over and over people who live overseas point out the difficulty that being an English teacher involves for the long term. About the only person I've ever heard of who suggests that it is anything but very difficult to get a read job in a place like Japan is Mira from Youtube and she is both really stunned and with perm rez only managed a service industry job. However they are all wrong, you are right. Just get off that plane with your BA in philosophy and have the employers lined up to offer you positions.


Who said there wasn't difficulties - it's hard being an expat - you have to learn language, deal with culture shock, deal with things being nothing like back home, have to deal with racism from the locals - there are lots of good things as well as well as bad.

I have a BA in Linguistics and TEFL from a good university in the UK, I also have an MA in the same subjects from the same good university.

So that pity circle wank doesn't apply to me. I think we might be getting somewhere now - not everyone who goes abroad is the same.

Also when you do stay there and have kids, if you are in China, do you really want your kids going to school there. Another topic that comes up when those you actually lived in China talk about staying there long term. Ditto the effect of air pollution and food safety on the kids. It is one thing to go through it as a single or married adult, when you have kids it is different. Are you raising kids in China. By your logic system you can't comment on that subject but must take the word of the first person who speaks on it because they are there and one can't research anything. Research isn't a thing. Jeez, you belong here with the flat earthers and the holocaust deniers.


You can research what you want, but your opinion means shit.

It means nothing here next to mine - you might think it does, it doesn't.

And it certainly doesn't next to Yohan's - who has been 'Happy Abroad' for 40 years.

The problem with this board is that there are too many soft arses who won't go abroad and try to offload their insecurities onto others on why they won't go.

I am here to tell people it is possible to be 'happier abroad'.

Is it easy? No - it isn't, there are challenges, lot's of people are not really cut out for this life, they should stay at home, a fair few people do anyway - they are very sensible.

And there isn't anything wrong with that - but your opinion hasn't the same weight as mine or Yohan's - that is WHAT YOU NEED TO REMEMBER.

It would be like me arguing the toss with Buzz Aldrin what it is like to be in space, how it is to walk the moon - because I read it in a book - he would tell me to f**k off - and he would be right.
You are one creepy stalker that you remember so many data points about me/actually too the time to look things up. Either way creepy dude.


:roll:

Typical Canadian - partaking in female shaming language - I just had a look at your earliest posts to see why you couldn't go abroad - six figure salary, homeowner, kids, ex-wives - no - you have none of these things, just a lack of guts.

You wouldn't last two minutes overseas bwana - because if you tried your passive aggressive douchey behaviour with the expats there - complete with female shaming tactics - someone is going to smack you in the mouth sooner or later - the cops just don't care about foreigner on foreigner crime.

I suggest you stay right there - in Indian Pissy Rivers in Yellowknife.

You know if all your butthurt is over your not catching the "As for myself," in the complete loser segment, it's pretty funny.


Your problem on here, is that you all think we are as stupid as you.

You were making the insinuation that people who go abroad are losers.

If that is the case, you should have gone 10 years ago.

I also think it is rather interesting that you go from
Ripping into people who have failed in life for not trying to go overseas
then you rip into me for explaining that it really isn't as easy or a sure thing as you suggest, that it involves real sacrifices
Then you point out that I couldn't last what was it 2 months over there.


I didn't say that EVER.

I said people who wanted to do it and had the means but wouldn't were cowardly.

I also said anyone who uses passive aggressive language and insinuation that others are losers for going abroad are bigger losers - that's true.

Living overseas is hard, I know this - you don't, you have never ever done it - your opinion on it means squat.

As for sacrifices - these aren't sacrifices you have to personally make - you bringing them up are moot.

You wouldn't last two months, listen, if you quit your job and have a breakdown over someone coming back from Thailand bouncing off the walls - do you think you are going to last any length in an Asian working environment?
yick
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 435
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:11 am

Re: Video: Why EVERY white guy in Asia is a loser..

Postby Yohan » Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:08 am

yick wrote:
I don't think Yohan has ever said 'EVERYONE gets divorced'

Are you making six figures? I doubt you are barely making five - if you have a job that is

They are difficult - SO WHAT?
Yes, you will probably never get native like fluency.
..... 10 hours a day for FIVE YEARS learning Chinese - that's what it takes.

You can research what you want, but your opinion means shit.
It means nothing here next to mine - you might think it does, it doesn't.
And it certainly doesn't next to Yohan's - who has been 'Happy Abroad' for 40 years.


@ Yick

Thanks for your comment, you know about life in Asia.

I never said, EVERYONE gets divorced in my native country, but I said, that ALL of my few friends I have still contact in Europe and Canada/USA are divorced, some of them remarried and divorced again. Some of them with a serious financial breakdown.

I also said, that some of them were living in Asia, took the Asian wife back to Europe after retirement or terminating their jobs and they are also divorced. - I said, if you want an Asian wife, you should consider to live and work in Asia. What's wrong to say that?

Distance is considerable and you must decide, where you really want to create your permanent home, in Asia or in Europe or in Northern America etc. - You cannot just live a little bit here and a little bit there. I finally decided for Japan.

-----

About languages, I am not a native English or French speaker and not a native Japanese or Malay speaker. I don't care if I make mistakes, if it is really fluent etc. - Just try and listen and avoid mistakes the next time.

In Japan I could not do my job without Japanese language, both spoken and written. I have a Japanese language certificate from a public Japanese university for both, basic and advanced, however more important I passed all my technical exams in Japanese.

I was never a language teacher, I am not interested in such a job at all.
-----

Difficult languages or not, there are indeed many many people, who can speak English + a very difficult Asian language. That's useful but nothing really special. Nowadays there are many half-Western/half-Asian people around who can speak more than 1 language as a native.

It is not only about Japanese, Korean or Chinese, also Indian languages are difficult, or Vietnamese (despite they write in Roman letters).

Khmer language in Cambodia is difficult (despite it is NOT a tonal language) but I met many locals in Cambodia, who could speak good French (the older ones) and good English (the younger ones).

It is correct to say, if you have no previous knowledge about a complicated Asian Language, it might take well 4 to 5 years of studies while living in that country to become fluent in that language - but in general you need not to be so proficient if you have a good job anyway while living there - except if you are obsessed to become a simultaneous interpreter or if you want to carry out a deep-in study of Asian history/religion or otherwise special research like that.

-----

About my income, considering taxes and insurances, my net income is near the 6-digits in Canadian dollars, but not over.
Not bad anyway for Japan, not bad for Western standards.

-----

About myself, I spent indeed most of my life in Asia, away from my native country since 1972 already, first in Malaysia, but finally moved into Japan in 1976.

I can surely comment about some places in Asia I know well, Japan, Philippines, Thailand, and also a bit about Malaysia and Cambodia.
I have been in other places in Asia too, India, Singapore, Hong Kong, Taiwan etc. but only for short visits.

I cannot comment really about Europe any more, as I have been away for too long and never been back.

The topic is about that 'Every white guy is a loser in Asia' and in my case I can say, I am not a loser.

I am a 'white guy' EU-citizen with permanent residence permit for Japan. I have Japanese family with 2 adult daughters, never divorced, a second home in Thailand, excellent public/private health insurance, good retirement allowance starting from next year on, a stable job and never been jobless, a Filipina foster daughter who will soon graduate, a motorcycle, some savings, really nothing to worry about for my daily needs and my future.

I can only laugh if a 'white guy' or 'Asian guy' or 'Asian American guy' etc. etc., whoever he might be, living in his own country, never been abroad and likely even without a valid passport, limited financial background, no good job, etc. shows up and is calling me a 'loser'.

No need to listen to such BS, no need even to acknowledge his existence.... ;lol:
User avatar
Yohan
Veteran Poster
 
Posts: 2212
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:05 am
Location: Tokyo, JAPAN

Re: Video: Why EVERY white guy in Asia is a loser..

Postby yick » Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:48 am

Hi Yohan, thanks for your posts on here - they do a lot to clarify the situation - I don't think CdnFA is going to take any notice as he seems to have a bee
in his bonnet about you - he probably thinks I am a sock account of yours. :roll:

All I know of Yohan is what he writes on here, but this is what I know.

Back in 1972 - airline prices to fly to Malaysia from Vienna or Stuttgart are more or less the same as they are now - about 400 Euros.

Air travel in those days was restricted to people with money - if you didn't have any money you flew nowhere, there was no such thing as a
budget airline in those days.

Yohan would have had to work hard and save for a couple of years to even get the money for his move abroad, and then he would have had
to write letters by post for jobs which would have took weeks, get visas - and then - go to a country with no creature comforts from home, very tiny
expat communities of which in Malaysia - which would have been Aussies and Kiwis as well as Brits, no internet, no news from home.

That's hard - these days - it's very very easy in comparison - I miss nothing from home even though I am in the middle of China - I can even watch British
TV if I get the right proxy server.

He's is the most successful 'Happier Abroader' here and probably the most valuable poster (Marcos Zeitola getting the silver medal in my opinion)on
here - I have no idea why CdnFA keeps digging him out.

CdnFA got pissy once because I said that some Chinese women in a shop were checking my arse out (it was true - what the hell can I do about that? 8) )

You can either stay in Nowheresville Canada or not - no-one is going to care. I don't care - if you want advice how to make your move - I am here, as is Yohan I am sure.

If you want to come on here and challenge my (or Yohan's) points of view without any real life knowledge of your own - then expect this kind of discourse.
yick
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 435
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:11 am

Re: Video: Why EVERY white guy in Asia is a loser..

Postby Yohan » Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:39 pm

yick wrote:Hi Yohan, thanks for your posts on here - they do a lot to clarify the situation

Back in 1972 - airline prices to fly to Malaysia from Vienna or Stuttgart are more or less the same as they are now - about 400 Euros.
.....
Air travel in those days was restricted to people with money - if you didn't have any money you flew nowhere, there was no such thing as a
budget airline in those days.
.....
That's hard - these days - it's very very easy in comparison - I miss nothing from home even though I am in the middle of China - I can even watch British
TV if I get the right proxy server.
.....
If you want to come on here and challenge my (or Yohan's) points of view without any real life knowledge of your own - then expect this kind of discourse.


China/Mongolia at that time were still closed for tourism.

However as I was working in a travel agency at that time I could find out easily (without internet etc.) the cheapest way to move out of Europe.

Between Europe and Japan, the Transsiberian Railway/including a short flight over Siberia to save time and finally by ship was a cheap way to travel.

The cheapest way to South East Asia was to go to Istanbul by train - there was a regular bus service to Iran and Afghanistan ending in India, New Delhi, such a trip took about 10 days from Vienna. I made it up to Iran and Syria despite strong earthquakes in Eastern Turkey. Now impossible, too dangerous, such long distance bus-services do not exist anymore.

The next better choice, a little bit more expensive was to travel by train to Poland and to take a Polish LOT-flight via Moscow to Delhi, and change then the airplane to the Russian Aeroflot from Delhi to Kuala Lumpur. These air tickets were sold cheaply - not many people were using this route.

Within Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand, train services were fairly good, operating from Singapore/Kuala Lumpur to Bangkok and up to Chiang Mai and Udorn Thani.

Visa was required for me to everywhere in Asia, (except Japan) even for Singapore, at that time issued by the British Embassy.

The good thing at that time was that there were only a few Western foreigners, you had to collect information from other travelers and from some locals etc. There was not even one useful guidebook or dictionary etc. for Thailand... there was still jungle in Malaysia, so dark that you could not read any newspaper in the train during day, all what you saw was like a green tunnel. No road existed in Eastern part of Malaysia to Kota Bahru/Thai border, only railway and motorboat to reach your destination. - Such trips were still an 'adventure'.

Quite different from today...

If somebody tells me he cannot travel nowadays to abroad because he is worried about language problems and how to go back home to USA or Europe, I can only laugh...
User avatar
Yohan
Veteran Poster
 
Posts: 2212
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:05 am
Location: Tokyo, JAPAN

Re: Video: Why EVERY white guy in Asia is a loser..

Postby cdnFA » Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:57 pm

yick wrote:
I was talking about myself. You illiterate retarded a** monkey.


You were making the insinuation that anyone who goes abroad is a 'complete loser back home'.

There was no need for you to have said that - because we all know already - you are just being a douchey, passive aggressive prick.



You can insinuate whatever you want. You can read what I write as advocating for sex with ducks. Doesn't make it so.

I also find it rather funny that you call me a douchey passive aggressive prick when YOU are the one who is desperately trying to interpret my words so you have something to whine about. You are the one who started with the aggression and for what. Because you for some odd reason are determined to take offence when I was not only talking of myself but I actually stated it.

As for the rest, I skimmed bits of it, didn't bother to read the rest because what is the point. I could write down that Albania is a country and you would not doubt take it as me claiming that anyone who goes abroad is a complete loser back home.

What is wrong with you, your life or your life choices that makes you determined to claim that I think that everyone who goes overseas is a loser. It speaks volumes about you more than me.

People of people go overseas for plenty of reasons, the whole HA thing is only a small subset of that. However read the welcome page of HA.
Have no friends, have no life, can't get a date, go overseas. Ask anyone, most people would say someone like that is at least a loser in those categories.
If you got a problem with that, talk to Winston not me.

Also your comments about my education are laughable. I'd correct them but you have shown yourself to be a bit of a creepy stalker.

But hey at least you don't care about me or what I do. Laugh.
cdnFA
Junior Poster
 
Posts: 582
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:51 am

Re: Video: Why EVERY white guy in Asia is a loser..

Postby cdnFA » Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:08 pm

Yohan wrote:
If somebody tells me he cannot travel nowadays to abroad because he is worried about language problems and how to go back home to USA or Europe, I can only laugh...


We are not talking travel, we are talking about moving overseas for an extended period of time.
People are slaming Ghost for not learning Chinese, people are blaming part of Eric's problems on not knowing the language. It has been said multiple times here that learning the language opens doors to women who would otherwise be off limits.

I'd say language is an issue.

Also going back home is easy, but if you have been stuck in the English teaching ghetto as most seem to be you will be starting back at square 1 or 1.2
Multiple long timers have said that generally speaking people who stay beyond 5 to 7 years do so because they are trapped by family or by the inability to get something decent job wise at home. But they don't matter because they have not lived overseas.... oh wait, yes they have.

Then there are all the other issues involved. Losing more money in the markets because you can't sell than you make in 5 years teaching English in Thailand is a pretty heafty price to pay.
cdnFA
Junior Poster
 
Posts: 582
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:51 am

Re: Video: Why EVERY white guy in Asia is a loser..

Postby yick » Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:34 pm

You can insinuate whatever you want. You can read what I write as advocating for sex with ducks. Doesn't make it so.


Let's go back to what you were saying. Let's break the paragraph down.

(1) As for myself, I really hope my current situation works out because who needs the bullshit. (2)If it doesn't I'd consider wifehunting overseas but I am not too thrilled with living overseas. (3) The only reason I'd consider it is because I am such a complete loser back home.

First sentence is

As for myself, I really hope my current situation works out because who needs the bullshit.

The 'Bullshit' in this case is 'moving abroad' and all the horrors that are entailed in such a move, do we agree?

If it doesn't I'd consider wifehunting overseas but I am not too thrilled with living overseas.

Your second sentence re-iterates the fact that 'living overseas' is a last option, something that you wouldn't normally partake in? Are we utnil now...

The only reason I'd consider it is because I am such a complete loser back home.

What you have done here - is used an insinuation by stating that people who move abroad as complete losers, yes - you did state it in the first person however - people smarter than you will correctly take that you also believe this personal opinion to be a general fact. Let's go through it all again, moving abroad is bullshit - you stated why, living overseas is a last gasp option and it isn't something that wouldn't thrill you at all and the only reason that you would do this last ditch attempt is that is because you are such a complete loser back home - but the thing is - you are a complete loser back home anyway and you have never lived overseas, so obviously, people are going to read that and think you are throwing snark around at people who move overseas - because you are 'back home' (without having lived abroad ever) now and a loser, so obviously - your target is someone else.

None of this is complicated at all.


I also find it rather funny that you call me a douchey passive aggressive prick when YOU are the one who is desperately trying to interpret my words so you have something to whine about. You are the one who started with the aggression and for what. Because you for some odd reason are determined to take offence when I was not only talking of myself but I actually stated it.


Actually, you replied to my post to tell me why I was wrong despite the fact you have no experience of anything, you started talking about 'English Language Ghettoes' blehblehbleh and other such bollix - you know what's depressing - we have lost Marcos Zeilota and we manage to keep you - that's depressing - the last thing we need is another stay at home know-it-all, another armchair fullback.

What is wrong with you, your life or your life choices that makes you determined to claim that I think that everyone who goes overseas is a loser. It speaks volumes about you more than me.


I have just explained to you why - you have never been abroad, you have never been an immigrant or an expat - when you use the term 'complete loser back home' you are stating an opinion on others because that has never has been you and it will never be you, you have never ever left home.

People of people go overseas for plenty of reasons, the whole HA thing is only a small subset of that. However read the welcome page of HA.
Have no friends, have no life, can't get a date, go overseas. Ask anyone, most people would say someone like that is at least a loser in those categories.
If you got a problem with that, talk to Winston not me.


No - The Wright Brothers had no dates, they died virgins? They committed their life to the possibility of flight, Van Gogh was unsuccessful as a painter in his lifetime and only sold a painting to his brother - there is only one definition of loser and it is one who doesn't f***ing try but will sit there and moan whinge and cry.

Also your comments about my education are laughable. I'd correct them but you have shown yourself to be a bit of a creepy stalker.


Mate, you are dreaming about moving abroad, forget it.

And whatever your education is - it isn't doing you any good - is it?


Oooooooooh - Creepy stalker

:lol:

Western women aren't always female - as shown with CdnFA.
yick
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 435
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:11 am

Re: Video: Why EVERY white guy in Asia is a loser..

Postby yick » Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:46 pm

We are not talking travel, we are talking about moving overseas for an extended period of time.
People are slaming Ghost for not learning Chinese, people are blaming part of Eric's problems on not knowing the language. It has been said multiple times here that learning the language opens doors to women who would otherwise be off limits.


That's right - it does.

I'd say language is an issue.


But it is not an insurmountable one - it takes time to learn, Yohan has already told you it takes five years of living in country to get to a conversational level.

http://english.cntv.cn/program/newsupdate/20130308/102759.shtml

It takes years, there are no easy ways, no-one is going to treat you like a white god, no-one is going to kiss your feet, no woman is going to strip down naked on sight of you.

Learning Chinese is a long term step to getting a nice looking woman, a good job, better opportunities work wise, to be able to read a menu and eat what you want. The advantages are endless.

Also going back home is easy, but if you have been stuck in the English teaching ghetto as most seem to be you will be starting back at square 1 or 1.2
Multiple long timers have said that generally speaking people who stay beyond 5 to 7 years do so because they are trapped by family or by the inability to get something decent job wise at home. But they don't matter because they have not lived overseas.... oh wait, yes they have.


Then bring them here and I'll have it out with them, I bet they haven't learned the language of the country they stayed in, I bet they didn't upgrade their qualifications, I bet they weren't proactive in anyway at all.

You go home after five years in China with HSK 4-5 - NO-ONE is going to laugh at you at a job interview. They will bow at your feet.

Basically - you aren't that person to come here with that message, you are completely and utterly unqualified to make comment, I don't care how many people you have spoken to or how many You Tube videos you have watched.

Then there are all the other issues involved. Losing more money in the markets because you can't sell than you make in 5 years teaching English in Thailand is a pretty heafty price to pay.


You stay right there sonny Jim - you leave the expat life to us who can handle it. I am sure your excuses make for a comfy pillow at night. :roll:
yick
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 435
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:11 am

Re: Video: Why EVERY white guy in Asia is a loser..

Postby droid » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:46 am

yick wrote:...
...
...
Let's go back to what you were saying. Let's break the paragraph down.

(1) As for myself, I really hope my current situation works out because who needs the bullshit. (2)If it doesn't I'd consider wifehunting overseas but I am not too thrilled with living overseas. (3) The only reason I'd consider it is because I am such a complete loser back home.

First sentence is

As for myself, I really hope my current situation works out because who needs the bullshit.

The 'Bullshit' in this case is 'moving abroad' and all the horrors that are entailed in such a move, do we agree?

If it doesn't I'd consider wifehunting overseas but I am not too thrilled with living overseas.

Your second sentence re-iterates the fact that 'living overseas' is a last option, something that you wouldn't normally partake in? Are we utnil now...

The only reason I'd consider it is because I am such a complete loser back home.

What you have done here - is used an insinuation by stating that people who move abroad as complete losers, yes - you did state it in the first person however - people smarter than you will correctly take that you also believe this personal opinion to be a general fact. Let's go through it all again, moving abroad is bullshit - you stated why, living overseas is a last gasp option and it isn't something that wouldn't thrill you at all and the only reason that you would do this last ditch attempt is that is because you are such a complete loser back home - but the thing is - you are a complete loser back home anyway and you have never lived overseas, so obviously, people are going to read that and think you are throwing snark around at people who move overseas - because you are 'back home' (without having lived abroad ever) now and a loser, so obviously - your target is someone else.

None of this is complicated at all.


Hahah, you have perfectly deconstructed know-it-all-basement-dweller cdnfa. I tried to point at all the dishonesty in his discourse before, but could not reach your level of eloquence lol.

This whole thread (and the other similar one floating around, can't remember the title) is such big bullshit. I've been in SEA for close to 10 months now and the expats I see are not at all different from the same dudes one would see in the west. Same distribution of characters, no difference, no patterns. Only thing of course is they seem to be happy and relaxed with no-drama women.

yick wrote:no-one will treat you like god


I do differ on that lol, i feel like some zach efron here haha. Well "standing in line in the airport" is obvious hyperbole, but non-autists know what the overall concept is. The treatment is real nice. Life feels normal and you know you have options.
Last edited by droid on Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
1)Too much of one thing defeats the purpose.
2)Everybody is full of it. What's your hypocrisy?
User avatar
droid
Veteran Poster
 
Posts: 2439
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:38 am

Re: Video: Why EVERY white guy in Asia is a loser..

Postby yick » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:12 am

Hi Droid,

I don't see the point of CdnFA posting here, he doesn't want to go abroad, it's a last resort, and he thinks (ha ha ha!) he is going to entice some Asian girl - probably from a city bigger than any city in Canada - and bring her back to his dull of shite hamlet in the prairies and she will be grateful.

I don't think that will happen - I think that is the fantasy of a person not in tune with how things are in Asia.

I would say most of Asia thrives on noise, activity, bright lights, availability of a 24 hour city - a lot of Asian people who come to the west find it too f***ing quiet.

CdnFA's wife is going to find Bumshiteville in Mantobia awful and she will be gone in a year.

But CdnFA isn't going anywhere though, it is all in his head.

As for you being Zac Efron - keep going bwana - that's the way to do it! :D
yick
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 435
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:11 am

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSNbot Media and 4 guests