ATTENTION: The Forum will be upgraded today to phpbb 3.2 and may be down for a few hours. We appreciate your patience. Thanks.



Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Monday nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE AFA Seminar! See locations and dates here.



View Active Topics       View Your Posts       Latest 100 Topics       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile


What do you guys think of that book "The Secret"?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

What do you guys think of that book "The Secret"?

Postby JohnDoeBigBaller » November 30th, 2016, 2:55 am

I think it's a bunch of new-age hippie feel-good horseshit. I think the reason it appeals so much to women is because women are parasites who think they can get something for free, without working for it. So the idea that you can just sit there dreaming and visualizing and that you will achieve whatever you want obviously appeals to women.

Funny how The Secret never mentions that you have to take ACTION in order to achieve your goals.

And it was basically plagiarized from the book Think and Grow Rich, which actually IS a useful book and has many practical tips on how to achieve your goals. f**k Rhonda Byrne, that new age hippie ugly ass old bitch.
JohnDoeBigBaller
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 359
Joined: May 14th, 2016, 7:59 pm

Re: What do you guys think of that book "The Secret"?

Postby El_Caudillo » November 30th, 2016, 3:17 am

Why on earth would someone like you read a book like that? Do you have anything to contribute to happier abroad beyond, "I hate women".
El_Caudillo
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 259
Joined: July 18th, 2016, 2:39 pm

Re: What do you guys think of that book "The Secret"?

Postby JohnDoeBigBaller » November 30th, 2016, 4:49 am

El_Caudillo wrote:Why on earth would someone like you read a book like that? Do you have anything to contribute to happier abroad beyond, "I hate women".


Go f**k yourself you f***ing cuck. Funny how a "woman hater" like me gets more p***y in one year than you will get in your whole life, bitch.
JohnDoeBigBaller
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 359
Joined: May 14th, 2016, 7:59 pm

Re: What do you guys think of that book "The Secret"?

Postby El_Caudillo » November 30th, 2016, 4:56 am

Congratulations Johndoe! Just out of curiosity, how much internet time per week do you get in prison?
El_Caudillo
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 259
Joined: July 18th, 2016, 2:39 pm

Re: What do you guys think of that book "The Secret"?

Postby Winston » November 30th, 2016, 1:49 pm

Of course The Secret is gonna tell you to take action too. Didnt you read it john doe? It says you gotta take action after the visualization. The problem is that action does not always equal results. It depends on how achievable the result is and how aligned you are with it and whether you are good enough. Its not true that you can do anything. There are limits. You gotta work with what you have and achieve what is achievable. The good news is that a lot of things are more achievable once you go abroad or to the right place.

John doe, by the way, dont cuss at people like that please.
Check out my video series Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Also see my HA Grand Ebook and Join Our Dating Sites to support us!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
Winston
Site Admin
 
Posts: 25061
Joined: August 18th, 2007, 2:16 pm

Re: What do you guys think of that book "The Secret"?

Postby S_Parc » November 30th, 2016, 7:14 pm

Winston wrote:Of course The Secret is gonna tell you to take action too. Didnt you read it john doe? It says you gotta take action after the visualization. The problem is that action does not always equal results. It depends on how achievable the result is and how aligned you are with it and whether you are good enough. Its not true that you can do anything. There are limits. You gotta work with what you have and achieve what is achievable. The good news is that a lot of things are more achievable once you go abroad or to the right place.


Aside from taking action, the other missing element of the Secret is that of concentrating 'Qi'. A guy who does this a lot, since he's always juggling a number of projects, and is pretty much consistently successful at everything he does, is Bosstone. He's the topic of my whole pro-MGTOW view, despite being married myself (and seemingly a bit of a hypocrite as a result).

And then in theory, the energy goes to where the thought is attempting to manifest itself. And yes, along with the hocus pocus, is the ability to consistently take action.
16 years ago, the Best Picture of 1999, "American Beauty", telegraphed the message of Happier Abroad to the world.

Beware of long term engagements with AWs, you may find yourself in a coffin.

AB discussion thread

BTW, despite settling down with an AW, myself, the warning is still in effect.
S_Parc
Veteran Poster
 
Posts: 2424
Joined: November 12th, 2010, 8:01 pm

Re: What do you guys think of that book "The Secret"?

Postby HouseMD » December 1st, 2016, 12:10 am

The secret is bull**** New Age garbage. If you want something, you need to plan and act, that's all it takes. This book is basically a way of trying to coax stupid people into doing what they should have been doing all along via some nonsense voodoo, when all they really had to do is plan+willpower+action=results. It takes a LOT of willpower to get some extremely difficult things in life. Hell, I've fallen short of my goals many times. But with enough of it, the world is yours. If I'd worked a little harder a little bit earlier, I could have been much better off right now than I am, and I'm already pretty well off. But I was a lazy **** when I was young, so I wasted my time chasing girls and getting drunk and working **** jobs instead of busting my ass and working hard toward my dreams. I guess a big part of everything was that I didn't even know what my dreams were- took some bad turns in my life to steer me right and turn me into the man I was meant to be. Pity it didn't happen sooner, but I'm thankful it happened at all.

Six months from now, I'm going to be a doctor. Three years from that, I'll be board certified, trying to get a job at the CDC working in Southeast Asia where I can earn American physician pay while spending SEA levels of money. I want you to think about how f***ing crazy that is- I've been on here for nearly five years. I've worked hard that entire time, and soon it'll pay dividends. I want you to think of where you want to be in five years, in an ideal world. Because if you can dream it and work hard and it's at least somewhat practical, you can do it. I'm living proof of that. Don't stagnate, and don't fall prey to your weakness. Work hard, dream big, and keep chipping away at your goals until you reach the payoff.

Here's the catch though- this strategy only works with easily measurable goals. Becoming a doctor is predictable, and has a predictable payoff. Becoming a computer engineer/programmer is similar. Running your own business, not so much, as it's so damn unpredictable. So pick a goal that can get you a measurable payoff that you can use to seed your side projects, don't start with a side project and hope it'll strike big when chances are you'll strike out and have no backup.
HouseMD
Experienced Poster
 
Posts: 1439
Joined: February 14th, 2012, 3:20 am
Location: Buried Under a Pile of Books

Re: What do you guys think of that book "The Secret"?

Postby gsjackson » December 1st, 2016, 12:31 am

JohnDoeBigBaller wrote:IAnd it was basically plagiarized from the book Think and Grow Rich


And about a million other books, going back to the mid-19th century. And yes, what was called back then New Thought Metaphysics did find a majority of its readership among women, for whatever reason.

The premise of the whole business is belief -- what you actually do believe, not what you say you believe -- so those who dismiss it as hokum aren't in a good position to test the theories. If you believe in, say, goal setting and hard work, that usually works out pretty well.
gsjackson
Experienced Poster
 
Posts: 1885
Joined: June 12th, 2010, 3:08 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA USA

Re: What do you guys think of that book "The Secret"?

Postby HouseMD » December 1st, 2016, 12:34 am

gsjackson wrote:
JohnDoeBigBaller wrote:IAnd it was basically plagiarized from the book Think and Grow Rich


And about a million other books, going back to the mid-19th century. And yes, what was called back then New Thought Metaphysics did find a majority of its readership among women, for whatever reason.

The premise of the whole business is belief -- what you actually do believe, not what you say you believe -- so those who dismiss it as hokum aren't in a good position to test the theories. If you believe in, say, goal setting and hard work, that usually works out pretty well.

Circular reasoning at its finest. It works because you believe it works, but if not, it doesn't work because you don't believe it works...
HouseMD
Experienced Poster
 
Posts: 1439
Joined: February 14th, 2012, 3:20 am
Location: Buried Under a Pile of Books

Re: What do you guys think of that book "The Secret"?

Postby gsjackson » December 1st, 2016, 12:59 am

HouseMD wrote:
gsjackson wrote:
JohnDoeBigBaller wrote:IAnd it was basically plagiarized from the book Think and Grow Rich


And about a million other books, going back to the mid-19th century. And yes, what was called back then New Thought Metaphysics did find a majority of its readership among women, for whatever reason.

The premise of the whole business is belief -- what you actually do believe, not what you say you believe -- so those who dismiss it as hokum aren't in a good position to test the theories. If you believe in, say, goal setting and hard work, that usually works out pretty well.

Circular reasoning at its finest. It works because you believe it works, but if not, it doesn't work because you don't believe it works...


That's the theory. Maybe if your experience provides you with something more complicated than simple schoolboy goals -- make grades, get into program, get job -- you might have occasion to examine it. Trust me, it all gets a lot more ambiguous when you get out of school.
gsjackson
Experienced Poster
 
Posts: 1885
Joined: June 12th, 2010, 3:08 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA USA

Re: What do you guys think of that book "The Secret"?

Postby S_Parc » December 1st, 2016, 3:38 am

gsjackson wrote:
HouseMD wrote:
gsjackson wrote:
JohnDoeBigBaller wrote:IAnd it was basically plagiarized from the book Think and Grow Rich


And about a million other books, going back to the mid-19th century. And yes, what was called back then New Thought Metaphysics did find a majority of its readership among women, for whatever reason.

The premise of the whole business is belief -- what you actually do believe, not what you say you believe -- so those who dismiss it as hokum aren't in a good position to test the theories. If you believe in, say, goal setting and hard work, that usually works out pretty well.

Circular reasoning at its finest. It works because you believe it works, but if not, it doesn't work because you don't believe it works...


That's the theory. Maybe if your experience provides you with something more complicated than simple schoolboy goals -- make grades, get into program, get job -- you might have occasion to examine it. Trust me, it all gets a lot more ambiguous when you get out of school.


The thing is that House's program is really about the MCATs. Once a person scores in the mid-30s there ... he's on his way to becoming a doctor. The whole making *Alpha Omega Alpha* and all that other honors/Johns Hopkins/Mayo/Harvard residency stuff, is more about prestige than in making one's way in the world.

Even the best, highest scored engineer, still needs to fight for his career opportunities, upon graduation. He doesn't have a guild, watching his back. This is why you so see so many MITers, working next to campus in Kendall Sq Cambridge, and not being able to leave because for the most part, their grades, etc, doesn't give 'em the power to take over corporate America.

And thus, the idea of cultivating one's mental/emotional energy, outside of a licensed profession like being an MD, is still of value.
16 years ago, the Best Picture of 1999, "American Beauty", telegraphed the message of Happier Abroad to the world.

Beware of long term engagements with AWs, you may find yourself in a coffin.

AB discussion thread

BTW, despite settling down with an AW, myself, the warning is still in effect.
S_Parc
Veteran Poster
 
Posts: 2424
Joined: November 12th, 2010, 8:01 pm

Re: What do you guys think of that book "The Secret"?

Postby HouseMD » December 1st, 2016, 3:41 am

gsjackson wrote:
HouseMD wrote:
gsjackson wrote:
JohnDoeBigBaller wrote:IAnd it was basically plagiarized from the book Think and Grow Rich


And about a million other books, going back to the mid-19th century. And yes, what was called back then New Thought Metaphysics did find a majority of its readership among women, for whatever reason.

The premise of the whole business is belief -- what you actually do believe, not what you say you believe -- so those who dismiss it as hokum aren't in a good position to test the theories. If you believe in, say, goal setting and hard work, that usually works out pretty well.

Circular reasoning at its finest. It works because you believe it works, but if not, it doesn't work because you don't believe it works...


That's the theory. Maybe if your experience provides you with something more complicated than simple schoolboy goals -- make grades, get into program, get job -- you might have occasion to examine it. Trust me, it all gets a lot more ambiguous when you get out of school.

Medicine is my third career, I've been out of school for quite some time in the past. Life was still simple- work, invest, enjoy life, tap investments when bored to travel.
HouseMD
Experienced Poster
 
Posts: 1439
Joined: February 14th, 2012, 3:20 am
Location: Buried Under a Pile of Books

Re: What do you guys think of that book "The Secret"?

Postby HouseMD » December 1st, 2016, 3:44 am

S_Parc wrote:
gsjackson wrote:
HouseMD wrote:
gsjackson wrote:
JohnDoeBigBaller wrote:IAnd it was basically plagiarized from the book Think and Grow Rich


And about a million other books, going back to the mid-19th century. And yes, what was called back then New Thought Metaphysics did find a majority of its readership among women, for whatever reason.

The premise of the whole business is belief -- what you actually do believe, not what you say you believe -- so those who dismiss it as hokum aren't in a good position to test the theories. If you believe in, say, goal setting and hard work, that usually works out pretty well.

Circular reasoning at its finest. It works because you believe it works, but if not, it doesn't work because you don't believe it works...


That's the theory. Maybe if your experience provides you with something more complicated than simple schoolboy goals -- make grades, get into program, get job -- you might have occasion to examine it. Trust me, it all gets a lot more ambiguous when you get out of school.


The thing is that House's program is really about the MCATs. Once a person scores in the mid-30s there ... he's on his way to becoming a doctor. The whole making *Alpha Omega Alpha* and all that other honors/Johns Hopkins/Mayo/Harvard residency stuff, is more about prestige than in making one's way in the world.

Even the best, highest scored engineer, still needs to fight for his career opportunities, upon graduation. He doesn't have a guild, watching his back. This is why you so see so many MITers, working next to campus in Kendall Sq Cambridge, and not being able to leave because for the most part, their grades, etc, doesn't give 'em the power to take over corporate America.

And thus, the idea of cultivating one's mental/emotional energy, outside of a licensed profession like being an MD, is still of value.

I dunno, I know quite a few engineers and they're doing fine. My brother is an engineer that went to state school, currently makes a killing working in aerospace.
HouseMD
Experienced Poster
 
Posts: 1439
Joined: February 14th, 2012, 3:20 am
Location: Buried Under a Pile of Books

Re: What do you guys think of that book "The Secret"?

Postby S_Parc » December 1st, 2016, 4:55 am

HouseMD wrote:
S_Parc wrote:The thing is that House's program is really about the MCATs. Once a person scores in the mid-30s there ... he's on his way to becoming a doctor. The whole making *Alpha Omega Alpha* and all that other honors/Johns Hopkins/Mayo/Harvard residency stuff, is more about prestige than in making one's way in the world.

Even the best, highest scored engineer, still needs to fight for his career opportunities, upon graduation. He doesn't have a guild, watching his back. This is why you so see so many MITers, working next to campus in Kendall Sq Cambridge, and not being able to leave because for the most part, their grades, etc, doesn't give 'em the power to take over corporate America.

And thus, the idea of cultivating one's mental/emotional energy, outside of a licensed profession like being an MD, is still of value.

I dunno, I know quite a few engineers and they're doing fine. My brother is an engineer that went to state school, currently makes a killing working in aerospace.


Both Mel and I work in related engineering areas, like consulting and financial adjunct services, and both of us are doing fine. This is not the case for a lot of other ppl, whose work had been offshored to places like eastern Europe a/o Asia.

The thing is that both of us, as well as my hero, Bosstone, are constantly in the business of marketing ourselves.

It's not like we can get into a residency program and then suddenly find ourselves with an endless supply of job offers.
16 years ago, the Best Picture of 1999, "American Beauty", telegraphed the message of Happier Abroad to the world.

Beware of long term engagements with AWs, you may find yourself in a coffin.

AB discussion thread

BTW, despite settling down with an AW, myself, the warning is still in effect.
S_Parc
Veteran Poster
 
Posts: 2424
Joined: November 12th, 2010, 8:01 pm

Re: What do you guys think of that book "The Secret"?

Postby HouseMD » December 1st, 2016, 5:02 am

S_Parc wrote:
HouseMD wrote:
S_Parc wrote:The thing is that House's program is really about the MCATs. Once a person scores in the mid-30s there ... he's on his way to becoming a doctor. The whole making *Alpha Omega Alpha* and all that other honors/Johns Hopkins/Mayo/Harvard residency stuff, is more about prestige than in making one's way in the world.

Even the best, highest scored engineer, still needs to fight for his career opportunities, upon graduation. He doesn't have a guild, watching his back. This is why you so see so many MITers, working next to campus in Kendall Sq Cambridge, and not being able to leave because for the most part, their grades, etc, doesn't give 'em the power to take over corporate America.

And thus, the idea of cultivating one's mental/emotional energy, outside of a licensed profession like being an MD, is still of value.

I dunno, I know quite a few engineers and they're doing fine. My brother is an engineer that went to state school, currently makes a killing working in aerospace.


Both Mel and I work in related engineering areas, like consulting and financial adjunct services, and both of us are doing fine. This is not the case for a lot of other ppl, whose work had been offshored to places like eastern Europe a/o Asia.

The thing is that both of us, as well as my hero, Bosstone, are constantly in the business of marketing ourselves.

It's not like we can get into a residency program and then suddenly find ourselves with an endless supply of job offers.

Yeah, but I've got to pay the piper in youth and cash. 350k of loans and possibly 14-15 years of my life will be devoted to college, medical school, and residency (currently heavily leaning toward doing IM+ID+an epidemiology MPH from a top 10 school so that I can snag a CDC job basically anywhere in the world I chose). You can start engineering after only 4 years and nearly 300k less in debt.
HouseMD
Experienced Poster
 
Posts: 1439
Joined: February 14th, 2012, 3:20 am
Location: Buried Under a Pile of Books

Next

Return to General Discussions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 4 guests